Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Rumours now this week with it being the Japanese Gp, that Honda are almost 3 months behind schedule on their power unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gintonious wrote: »
    Rumours now this week with it being the Japanese Gp, that Honda are almost 3 months behind schedule on their power unit.

With little power and a drinking problem if the press is to be believed.
    I'd take it with a pinch of salt though I think.

Rumours a plenty for this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'd like to know who released that info from the Honda camp...maybe a disgruntled Ferrari employee?

It'll be interesting how this weekend pans out...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Zcott wrote: »
    I'd like to know who released that info from the Honda camp...maybe a disgruntled Ferrari employee?

It'll be interesting how this weekend pans out...

Especially as it seems to be the the German and Italian media who are running with the story. No vested interests there, no siree. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Rumours a plenty for this weekend!

Including this: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29422678

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Don't know about that.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/177145.html?CMP=chrome

Eddie getting a dig in at Honda re jordan winning more races for honda than BAR or the works team. If I remember rightly, when Honda decided to return as a works engine supplier, it was expected that the much more successful of its customer teams - Jordan would get the deal. They chose to go with BAR and later the full Honda team and achieved little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Not so sure about that.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12479/9497625/honda-have-revealed-the-first-image-of-the-power-unit-that-mclaren-will-use-in-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

When bernie does go, Id love to see Eddie get the job. He knows the sport inside out, knows so many on the grid and has the business background to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

wobbles wrote: »
    When bernie does go, Id love to see Eddie get the job. He knows the sport inside out, knows so many on the grid and has the business background to do the job.

He basically ruled himself out age wise in his Q&A on the BBC site :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

His comments about Vettel are somewhat surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

christy c wrote: »
    He basically ruled himself out age wise in his Q&A on the BBC site :)

That's a shame, I'd imagine Eddie might care more than Bernie about the smaller teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Caterham are in serious trouble it seems, bailiffs were at the factory today.
    Some of the stuff taken that will be up for auction listed here.

Some of the stuff taken that will be up for auction is listed here.

Looks very serious alright, particularly the parts due to be used in Japan.

On a side note, I wouldn't fancy getting in to an argument with the CEO of the sheriffs office

Car parts, simulator, wheels and tyres, tools?
    They may as well just close the doors.

christy c wrote: »

On a side note, I wouldn't fancy getting in to an argument with the CEO of the sheriffs office

He is made for the job alright. He does appear to like his job judging by the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,038 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some of the stuff taken that will be up for auction listed here.

That's kind of sad, wonder will Kobayashi be racing in Japan so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

That's kind of sad, wonder will Kobayashi be racing in Japan so

Just seen on twitter they are going ahead with the Japanese GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

mickdw wrote: »
    Car parts, simulator, wheels and tyres, tools?
    They may as well just close the doors.

The important stuff is already in Japan, would mostly just be spares/used stuff I imagine. Doesn't really change how bad it looks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Just seen on twitter they are going ahead with the Japanese GP.

I'll believe it when I see it unfortunately. I'd hate to see something like what happened with Arrows in 2002 when they sent the cars out for a lap in the qualifying sessions and deliberately made sure to set times outside the 107% limit as they couldn't afford to run in the race. Don't know if that was just to collect appearance fees or if it was to avoid financial penalties for missing the race.

Looks like three car teams is now one step closer, pity, I really hope it doesn't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I'll believe it when I see it unfortunately. I'd hate to see something like what happened with Arrows in 2002 when they sent the cars out for a lap in the qualifying sessions and deliberately made sure to set times outside the 107% limit as they couldn't afford to run in the race. Don't know if that was just to collect appearance fees or if it was to avoid financial penalties for missing the race.

Arrows - ran the cars to avoid a financial penalty ie exclusion from the championship.

Caterham - your choice is to believe the High Court enforcement officers, the sheriffs office or believe the Caterham press release.

I would expect the team to compete at the weekend but alas after that it looks doubtful.

The announcement today that there is a financial dispute between Simona de Silvestros management team and Sauber does not bode to well for Sauber and the rumour that Marussia will close after Sochi just wont go away.

Interestingly an article appeared in this mornings Daily Telegraph stating that work on the 2015 Caterham has come to a halt, payments for parts at issue.

I hope we dont end up with a HRT scenario were the Cars were raced with parts well beyond their mileage tolerances.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Infoanon wrote: »
    Arrows - ran the cars to avoid a financial penalty ie exclusion from the championship.

Caterham - your choice is to believe the High Court enforcement officers, the sheriffs office or believe the Caterham press release.

I would expect the team to compete at the weekend but alas after that it looks doubtful.

The announcement today that there is a financial dispute between Simona de Silvestros management team and Sauber does not bode to well for Sauber and the rumour that Marussia will close after Sochi just wont go away.
    We're looking at 3 car teams then next year, aren't we? In which case, who'll be first to shake down Bernie for some extra cash?

Robbo wrote: »
    We're looking at 3 car teams then next year, aren't we? In which case, who'll be first to shake down Bernie for some extra cash?

Apparently there is a loose agreement that if the numbers fall to 16 then the top 4 teams will run an additional car.

The 3rd car will not be eligible for points and a team can decline the option to run a third car - thus you have Mclaren saying its too late to run a 3rd car next season.

The real issue however is that FOM have guaranteed a minimum 20 car grid for each F1 event - thus conceivable FOM could be in breach of its agreement with FIA if 3 cars are not run.

How this will play out is going to be interesting - maybe FOM will beforced to help the smaller teams to avoid being held to ransom by the big 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Has there been much mention of the typhoon on its way?

In Tokyo at the mo and getting a tad worried.

Infoanon wrote: »
    The 3rd car will not be eligible for points

How does that work then? Are they just running a third car for the sake of it.

I remember 3 car teams being mentioned in the late 90s as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Has there been much mention of the typhoon on its way?

In Tokyo at the mo and getting a tad worried.
    I was going to mention that too. Based on current predictions, the worst will come well after the Grand Prix, but that doesn't rule out rain.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

A wet Japanese GP would be sweet.

Advertisement