Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega mega drive

Options
  • 13-09-2014 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I bought a 16 bit sega mega drive including all the cables, however I only have sky on my tv, and cannot manually tune it to pick up channels, as I don't have saorview etc. Meaning I can't fully set up my sega! :( anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

NiKelly wrote: »
    I bought a 16 bit sega mega drive including all the cables, however I only have sky on my tv, and cannot manually tune it to pick up channels, as I don't have saorview etc. Meaning I can't fully set up my sega! :( anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

Eh you need an analogue channel.
    What model TV is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get an RGB scart cable from ebay. You don't have to mess around tuning it in and you get the benefit of massively improved picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get an RGB scart cable from ebay. You don't have to mess around tuning it in and you get the benefit of massively improved picture quality.

Yep as recommended from Retr0 the Snes version I purchased from http://www.consolegoods.co.uk works brilliantly. No more tuning.
    They have the MegaDrive version also, send them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NiKelly

Thanks! :)

I had a 17bit Sega once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 NiKelly

I bought an RGB cable and it still won't work :( I don't think this Sega purchase was meant to be!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You sure you have it in the right socket and you have the TV selecting the right socket? There should be no problem with RGB and even if you don't have RGB it defaults back to composite.

It could be a display issue with the megadrive, might be worth trying on a different TV.

I'm not to sure but maybe you have a cheap brand TV that doesn't support RGB, but I'd expect it will still work as composite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah that's strange, it should work instantly.

Megadrive via scart is the same as any other scart device (DVD player, sky/UPC etc)

Is the video cable into the back of the Megadrive loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Did you try a different game in it to see if that's the problem?

Master of the Universe

Did you try a different game in it to see if that's the problem?

Actually that's a good point.

Describe what you mean by 'won't work' OP.

Do you get signal on the AV channels but just a black screen? (that would indicate what Tomo.Murphy is saying)

Are you not getting any signal to the TV AV channels at all?

• Advertisement

Actually the carts might be dirty which means you'll get no picture. Get s Q-tip and give the connectors a rub with alcohol or even just water (remember to use a second q-tip to dry it as well! You'll be surprised how much grime comes off. If the cart is dirty it won't make a connection and won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

for anybody who knows anything about the Mega-Drive, what's the better version to get, the I or the II? I wouldn't mind getting one some day (and possibly the ad-ons as well) and want to know which one to get.

The Megadrive 1 with the hi def graphics on the casing. It has the best sound.

Master of the Universe

The best one to get is the very original release version. It has 'High definition graphics' written along the top.

It doesn't actually have HD graphics :D but it has the best sound and picture quality.

It's also missing an additional piracy check at the start so the games boot faster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    The best one to get is the very original release version. It has 'High definition graphics' written along the top.

It doesn't actually have HD graphics :D but it has the best sound and picture quality.

I think, back in the olden days, High definition just meant detailed visuals, the visual equivalent of HiFi, or High Fidelity in audio equipment.

Speaking of High Fidelity....

or

Back in my day high definition was called super VGA and PC games had it since about 1993.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Back in my day high definition was called super VGA and PC games had it since about 1993.

That's still ok, the MD was out a tad before that.
    But I still recall games on PC running in suckass-O-vision, even at that early stage.

Most PC games were 640x480 at the time which is twice the resolution of the megadrive. By 1993 1024x768 and even 1600x1200 were common place.

Most PC games were 640x480 at the time which is twice the resolution of the megadrive. By 1993 1024x768 and even 1600x1200 were common place.

Wow
    It would appear I was playing the wrong games.
    Certainly Quake was, via software at least, in svga rather than the higher res you mention.
    Via my rendition accelerator card it was better though.
    Once again, in the likes if 1990 and 91 things on the PC tended to be not as impressive, the MD was more reminiscent of the Amiga, especially with the euro titles that were ported over.

Well you'd need a monster PC to get above 640x480 and a. 2 MB or video card which weren't common or cheap but it was possible.

When the megadrive launched PC was quite a bit ahead of it and the Amiga slightly ahead graphically. Stuff around 91 and 92 were way more advanced than the megadrive could do, stuff like might and magic 3 and ultima underworld

• Advertisement

I didn't jump into PC gaming until 96, so it was MD, GB and SNES before, not to mention 3DO and PS.
    And with the wrestling you had to do to get a game working, I was broadly more satisfied with console games.

Well that was true around 1990-1991 were DOS was a bit random about allocating memory meaning some games wouldn't work until you reset the PC a number of times. However once DOS extenders like DOS4GW came along it was very simple and games would load first time with full memory.

Windows 95 actually made things a hell of a lot worse with Direct X. The original version of Direct X installed itself in place of your graphics drivers and made a mess of your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well that was true around 1990-1991 were DOS was a bit random about allocating memory meaning some games wouldn't work until you reset the PC a number of times. However once DOS extenders like DOS4GW came along it was very simple and games would load first time with full memory.

Windows 95 actually made things a hell of a lot worse with Direct X. The original version of Direct X installed itself in place of your graphics drivers and made a mess of your PC.

I remember all this ****! Oh that brings back terrible memories of me trying to play tomb raider 2 and quake 2!

Made me into the man I am today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I didn't jump into PC gaming until 96, so it was MD, GB and SNES before, not to mention 3DO and PS.
    And with the wrestling you had to do to get a game working, I was broadly more satisfied with console games.

Same here. I think i moved to a PC when the first geForce came out, so around 1999.
    didn't see the point of pc before that. I was playing my PS1 and Megadrive and still tinkering and making music with my Amiga up till then.

LongZ wrote: »
    Same here. I think i moved to a PC when the first geForce came out, so around 1999.
    didn't see the point of pc before that. I was playing my PS1 and Megadrive and still tinkering and making music with my Amiga up till then.

The 90's was the golden era for PC gaming. So much good stuff came out on the system then. The genres on PC just could not be done on the consoles at the time and they really took advantage of the RAM available that consoles didn't have. I fell out of love with PC around 2001 when consoles really took off and it didn't offer much that consoles didn't offer as well but glad to see it making a comeback now. But the 90's were so good. You just don't get RPGs like the first two Fallouts, Ultima Underworld or System Shock 2 anymore. Hopefully the release of Wasteland 2 and the upcoming Project Eternity change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Well, I did play a lot of pc games at my friends though , rpgs and fps alike... and RTS games (remember that rts craze ?) so I don't feel I missed out much but to me all the trouble of install, upgrade, patching, were too much to handle + I just didn't have the money :)

Once I got my own I replayed a lot of the 'old' games though ... reminds me I found a big box copy of Baldur's Gate at a car boot sale recently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I don't recall games in 1993 supporting those resolutions, or dos memory allocations being "random". Maybe I'm getting old and forgetful..

My favourite games of the PC era I was in were
    Mechawarrior 3,
    Flight Unlimited/2/3
    Battlezone
    Interstate 76
    Quake/2
    Tie Fighter
    F1GP2
    Tomb Raider (via verite graphics card)

I don't recall games in 1993 supporting those resolutions, or dos memory allocations being "random". Maybe I'm getting old and forgetful..

Wolfenstein 3D definitely had weird memory allocation issues for me. It was random if it would start with enough memory to support the digitised speech. Dos4gw sorted that out.

I know the build engine could support 800x600 and that was around 1994. PC games with the right video hardware could do it but not many games supported them until and 95-96... Well I think.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Have any of you guys retained any old Windows PC hardware, even a windows 95/98 laptop for older stuff?

I know you can play a lot of it via GOG and the likes, but it'd be nice to be using real hardware.

A couple of old laptops networked together would be great fun.

Advertisement