Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to get the Christmas whiskey early. Have you tried any of these?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd promised myself I was finished for the season after picking up a Bushmills 10 to go with the other, erm, ten bottles of various stuff... but I was in Tesco with 18 off 50 in coupons on me and they had a single bottle of Cardhu 12 for 45. Was marked as "special price" with no reduced from - because its not a normal product for them.

Same discount appears to be going elsewhere - http://www.obrienswine.ie/cardhu-70cl-bottle.html?___SID=U . Its a damn good bottle for that price and its very un-Scotch for a Scotch. When you're getting nearly 40% off the shop with coupons its probably unbeatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Bought a Jameson Caskmates (Jameson finished in stout barrels form the Franciscan Brewery - limited release) for €35 which is good value and a bottle of the Palace Bar 14 yo single malt - which I believe contains some 21yo Bushmills.

Tasted the 21 yo Redbreast there too, lovely - like the Cask Strength but without the kick - still too rich for my blood.

To the poster that rated Bushmills 16 as his favourite...snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

buck65 wrote: »
    Bought a Jameson Caskmates (Jameson finished in stout barrels form the Franciscan Brewery - limited release)

I like the new Jameson range. Picked up a Black Barrell myself and have to say it's lovely

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've postponed my expensive purchase and picked up a Jameson Caskmates as well. Just waiting for one of the lads to drop it down from Dublin next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hi All,

This year i thought I will not buy any bottle and instead of that I will finish all what I have open already. So looks like this Christmas I will enjoy

Bowmore 12yo
    Talisker 10yo
    Glenmorangie 10yo
    Bushmills 10yo
    Johnnie Walker Green Label 15yo (just "few drops" left) It was one of my favorite scotch. Discontinued unfortunately :(

Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I like the new Jameson range. Picked up a Black Barrell myself and have to say it's lovely

The Black Barrel is a lovely whiskey. I've had it in my local - where did you get a bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Orion wrote: »
    The Black Barrel is a lovely whiskey. I've had it in my local - where did you get a bottle?

http://www.obrienswine.ie/jameson-select-reserve-70cl.html

I picked it up in Blanchardstown. Just shy of €40 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Just cracked a bottle open & sampled a dram, I concur sir, a fine libation indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I like the new Jameson range. Picked up a Black Barrel myself and have to say it's lovely

Received a bottle of this from my boss, cracked it open tonight, I've one criticism about the bottle design, there appears to be a leak in it! Very enjoyable, don't feel so bad that I've no Green Spot right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I see Tesco are doing the black label Jameson for €40 at the moment. I was going to buy a Green Spot (€53) or Writer's Tears (€45) for my da for Christmas but I'm tempted by the Jameson because he's a Jameson drinker anyway. I've had the Jameson myself and really liked it but I've never had the others. Should i stick to the reliable or would any of you recommend the others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

All good whiskeys, Green Spot would be my choice,

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Writer's tears for me - but totally agree that the Green spot is a great whiskey if a little on the pricey side.

For the Xmas this year I have an unusual selection - Barry Crockett's Legacy , Auchentoshan 12yr old , Teeling small batch and one I got as a present which I'm dying to try - it's a whiskey from Dusseldorf made in the famous Ureige beerhouse - they distill and store it on site and only have a small and limited supply . It could be awful stuff but here's hoping it'll be worth it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Last two purchases made there ..... Tullamore Dew Single Malt and couldn't resist a bottle of Powers Johns Lane.

I reckon i'll be asleep quite early on Xmas night!

Advertisement