Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Jeez it's a pretty shyte hitman who can't even get himself.

****E.

I meant Aido. heh.

But he did also fail to shoot himself, so I am kinda not wrong. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Sunday world had an article today about some film maker who is creating a fictional gangland series for TV3. Supposedly it's going to rival Love/Hate, and the film maker (Mark O'Connor) feels it will be the most realistic portrayal of gangland. He's not concerned about two similar Tv shows being done at the same time.

There's no point being cynical and I'd love to see another great Tv show like Love/Hate, but it will be interesting to see how this develops in terms of authenticity.

It might even be as good as TV3's much loved "Deception".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

It might even be as good as TV3's much loved "Deception".

Was that Len Brennan in the trailer??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Was that Len Brennan in the trailer??

'You will address me by my correct title you little Bo**ix'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

irishfeen wrote: »
    Love/Hate going French and German :pac:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1119/660782-love-hate-to-be-screened-across-europe/

Great achievement for such as small broadcaster like RTÉ.

Saw this earlier :D
    Wonder if this might give either RTE or Octagon enough extra revenue to commission a longer season 6 than 6 episodes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I read about the TV3 answer to Love/Hate earlier. The questions are here: what form will this take? How good will it be?

It is inevitable that with its success, Love/Hate would sooner or later inspire copies or derivatives. Until now, good quality crime based dramas like The Fall and Amber have come in its wake (none of which are copies or derivatives of Love/Hate of course) but it was inevitable that another station would try and emulate Love/Hate.

TV3's proposed drama could be the first of one of many Love/Hate answers, copies or derivatives to come. Crime drama has until Love/Hate been rather slow to take off in Ireland. This was due to until now a fear of showing violence. Some of the shows we got along the way like Making the Cut (with Sean McGinley (Tony)) were good but shied away from the violence. However, The Family (with Tony as well as Charlo) was the first not to shy away from extreme violence and was one of the best shows ever too. A decade or so later, the hopes of Ireland producing a crime based drama that was top quality seemed to be dead in the water with 2004's infamous The Big Bow Wow. By then, shows like this and Trouble in Paradise gave Irish drama a bad reputation. While Ireland could produce non-controversial largely non-crime orientated dramas of a high quality like The Clinic or Raw, the country seemed to create the likes of The Big Bow Wow when it tackled crime related ones. Then, a show called Single Handed came on that seemed to know what it was about and was quite good. It probably paved the way for Love/Hate. Then, Love/Hate came on and everyone expecting The Big Bow Wow 2010 were in for a pleasant surprise: series 1 was good, series 2 was better, series 3 really went places Irish TV never went before. And before long, we had an institution. Series 4 and 5 continued the series' dominance and by the end of series 5, we are left wanting more.

Now, the question needs to be asked is will the new TV3 drama be Love/Hate or The Big Bow Wow? RTE has been able to prove it can follow Love/Hate with other decent crime dramas like The Fall but these are touching on different topics. Amber the same. Now, can TV3 or RTE even do another gangland drama that is as good as Love/Hate? Unlikely, but I would settled for a decent one half as good.

I read about the TV3 answer to Love/Hate earlier. The questions are here: what form will this take? How good will it be?

It is inevitable that with its success, Love/Hate would sooner or later inspire copies or derivatives. Until now, good quality crime based dramas like The Fall and Amber have come in its wake (none of which are copies or derivatives of Love/Hate of course) but it was inevitable that another station would try and emulate Love/Hate.

TV3's proposed drama could be the first of one of many Love/Hate answers, copies or derivatives to come. Crime drama has until Love/Hate been rather slow to take off in Ireland. This was due to until now a fear of showing violence. Some of the shows we got along the way like Making the Cut (with Sean McGinley (Tony)) were good but shied away from the violence. However, The Family (with Tony as well as Charlo) was the first not to shy away from extreme violence and was one of the best shows ever too. A decade or so later, the hopes of Ireland producing a crime based drama that was top quality seemed to be dead in the water with 2004's infamous The Big Bow Wow. By then, shows like this and Trouble in Paradise gave Irish drama a bad reputation. While Ireland could produce non-controversial largely non-crime orientated dramas of a high quality like The Clinic or Raw, the country seemed to create the likes of The Big Bow Wow when it tackled crime related ones. Then, a show called Single Handed came on that seemed to know what it was about and was quite good. It probably paved the way for Love/Hate. Then, Love/Hate came on and everyone expecting The Big Bow Wow 2010 were in for a pleasant surprise: series 1 was good, series 2 was better, series 3 really went places Irish TV never went before. And before long, we had an institution. Series 4 and 5 continued the series' dominance and by the end of series 5, we are left wanting more.

Now, the question needs to be asked is will the new TV3 drama be Love/Hate or The Big Bow Wow? RTE has been able to prove it can follow Love/Hate with other decent crime dramas like The Fall but these are touching on different topics. Amber the same. Now, can TV3 or RTE even do another gangland drama that is as good as Love/Hate? Unlikely, but I would settled for a decent one half as good.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Love/Hate going French and German :pac:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1119/660782-love-hate-to-be-screened-across-europe/

Great achievement for such as small broadcaster like RTÉ.

Which reminds me.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Darren failed to nail Darren in season 1 or 2. When Aido was the driver.

But Hughie got Hughie. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Nidge didnt look at those youtube videos on 'how to use a glock' for long enough. Otherwise he might have hit Patrick from such close range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Nidge didnt look at those youtube videos on 'how to use a glock' for long enough. Otherwise he might have hit Patrick from such close range

Patrick would have thrown Wayne off like a reg doll in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A big mistake of love/hate was that we didn't get to see more of danos slutty crazy wife the little whoore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

ricero wrote: »
    A big mistake of love/hate was that we didn't get to see more of danos slutty crazy wife the little whoore

is that her in the trailer for Deception?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What did Tommy have her saved as in his phone "mad bitch"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just realised that Patrick's wife Kitty is Rat's wife in Paths to Freedom.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Just realised that Patrick's wife Kitty is Rat's wife in Paths to Freedom.

Kitty is Patricks sister

I remember watching this and getting very worried Nidge was actually a gonner in this episode. From here until the end of series 5, Patrick proved to be Nidge's most dangerous enemy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

So is Nidge dead?
    And is there a series 6?

Gits_bone wrote: »
    So is Nidge dead?
    And is there a series 6?

We genuinely don't know, except that RTE have commissioned a sixth series. Nobody has conclusively come out and said Nidge is in fact dead, but they have hinted very strongly that he is.
    As I've been saying, I'm not believing anything about Love/Hate anymore until it happens. I genuinely reckon the crew are now deliberately f*cking with the media, just as they did with Darren's "return", "Elmo's" funeral and "Tommy's" balcony plunge.

I actually think it would be epically hilarious if the "not next year" thing was a ruse to prevent the crew being tailed by the gutterpress - and it worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Kitty is Patricks sister

And wife.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She was boring. Texting Tommy. End of.

We genuinely don't know, except that RTE have commissioned a sixth series. Nobody has conclusively come out and said Nidge is in fact dead, but they have hinted very strongly that he is.
    As I've been saying, I'm not believing anything about Love/Hate anymore until it happens. I genuinely reckon the crew are now deliberately f*cking with the media, just as they did with Darren's "return", "Elmo's" funeral and "Tommy's" balcony plunge.

I actually think it would be epically hilarious if the "not next year" thing was a ruse to prevent the crew being tailed by the gutterpress - and it worked :D

Yes. I am the same. I won't believe anything until the new series comes about. We could be lead to believe Nidge is dead but in fact could have survived - saved by the cops once more!!! The number of times the cops saved Nidge, he should be grateful: Moynihan cancelled his sure arrest of Nidge to save Tommy, Fran got arrested on the way to kill Nidge, etc.

For me, a series 6 with Nidge in it and Tommy awake and remembering would be more interesting. Tommy realises Siobhan is murdered and both team up to seek revenge on Patrick. Then, Tommy remembers Nidge hit him! Fran the man wants revenge too: first on Noelie, then on Pottsy and then on Nidge. Say if Pottsy got killed, then Ado could blame not only Fran but also Nidge for what happened. The possibilities are endless. Bring in characters like Terence, Tony and the like as powerful allies in the background for Nidge.

As the above shows, it is easier with Nidge surviving somehow. As someone else said, they would have kept Pauley alive if they were to kill Nidge. And would have set up a few storylines dealing with issues other than Nidge. So, it seems one of 3 possibilities here:

-Season 5 is the last ever series. This appears not to be the case.
    -Love/Hate is left with a major cliffhanger in which we are lead to believe Nidge and Siobhan are dead. But Nidge survives and Siobhan probably does not.
    -Season 5 is the end of Love/Hate as we know it. A new series could be called Love/Hate or something else and focus on traveller feuds or some other offshoot story from the series. The travellers and their dealings with Fran could well be the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

why do some people think the police could save nidge?

he has been shot at least 6 times, one a direct hit to the heart. Maybe and only maybe if the police were actually trained paramedics in their spare time and chose to drive an ambulance instead of their normal unmarked police car and that a hospital was near by, they just might have a small chance of saving his life :rolleyes:

Also love hate will not be filmed for next year, they have stated this. Also Dublin is too small for love hate to be filmed and nobody to realize :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

he has been shot at least 6 times

What show were you watching? "At least 6 times" :eek:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

fair point, 3-4 x anyway and one directly to the heart

Why would Patrick run off if he wasn't satisfied that Nidge was dead?

A potentially plausible storyline could have Tommy emerging from his coma and rounding up Elmo and Aido to take revenge on Paddy for killing Siobhan. Fran would end up on Paddy's side for obvious reasons, which could be interesting.

Alternatively, Tommy wakes up several years from now when Warren is old enough to avenge Nidge. How old is Tommy's kid who's name I couldn't spell if I was offered John Boy's entire stash of coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

A potentially plausible storyline could have Tommy emerging from his coma and rounding up Elmo and Aido to take revenge on Paddy for killing Siobhan. Fran would end up on Paddy's side for obvious reasons, which could be interesting.

Alternatively, Tommy wakes up several years from now when Warren is old enough to avenge Nidge. How old is Tommy's kid who's name I couldn't spell if I was offered John Boy's entire stash of coke?

His name is Leighton but I have no idea how old he is. I would guess 2 or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

he has been shot at least 6 times,

Have you considered a career in journalism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What show were you watching? "At least 6 times" :eek:

mcbain__span.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Last seen knocked up and worried , sitting staring at either a motherly reflection or non-judgemental pro-life ghost in the Positive Options ad.

Advertisement