Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build. Really doing it this time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Guys, where are these 5% off links? I might order tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Go to Geizhals.de, type the part in etc i7 4790k and search. Open the link, and scroll down until you see the red hardwareversand button

If you copy paste the names from my hwvs links you'll get them easier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I would go with 1440p monitors rather than 1080. It'll make a much more significant difference to your website development than 32 gigs of ram would.

Go to Geizhals.de, type the part in etc i7 4790k and search. Open the link, and scroll down until you see the red hardwareversand button

If you copy paste the names from my hwvs links you'll get them easier

So I just click your links and add to basket? I assume the discount shows at the checkout stage then?
    I would go with 1440p monitors rather than 1080. It'll make a much more significant difference to your website development than 32 gigs of ram would.

Perhaps. Got a link to a recommended one? I will consider the upgrade.

I also have a small usused flat screen tv. Could this be used as a third screen? I have it like 3 years and it was used once :o

• Advertisement

No, you need to actually go through geizhals with the item, then the discount appears on the items page. The i7 is normally 354, but when you find it through geizhals it's 339.

Get the item name from my links, like "Intel Core i7-4790K Box, LGA1150" and search it in geizhals to find it quickly.

1440p monitors are fairly expensive, here is a list from geizhals. Over €300 for a decently sized one.

But a 27" 1080p is already > 200. So going from budget model to budget model increases the build cost by ~€200. Professional level monitors are important for colour work, but not site development. You could easily shave €200 off Processor, RAM etc from some of the earlier builds and put it into the monitors.

True, dropping 16gb RAM and the i5 would accomdate them OP, and wouldn't make a huge difference to performance. I'm assuming slutmonkey has experience here so I'd heed his advice.

But a 27" 1080p is already > 200. So going from budget model to budget model increases the build cost by ~€200. Professional level monitors are important for colour work, but not site development. You could easily shave €200 off Processor, RAM etc from some of the earlier builds and put it into the monitors.

Thanks for the advice. But, I won't need such high quality screens, as tempting as it is. I could get super greedy and hijack the 55' screen, which will be where the pc is going :D

I have everything in the basket I think.

Is credit card ok with hwvs? Easier than a transfer for me

You're mistaking screen diagonal for resolution.

Resolution's a much bigger gain than anything else. The only difference between a 1080p 24 inch screen and a 1080p 27 inch screen is that you lose a lot of desk space for no benefit!

• Advertisement

@DS , am I to order SSD1 & 2, or am i to choose one only?

Both of them, smaller one for OS and the larger one for files and programs you access regularly.

1440p is a lot more pixels crammed into the same space for the same size screens, making it sharper to look at, and better defined.

You're mistaking screen diagonal for resolution.

Resolution's a much bigger gain than anything else. The only difference between a 1080p 24 inch screen and a 1080p 27 inch screen is that you lose a lot of desk space for no benefit!

Show me what you would recommend on hwvs please. I haven't hit the order button yet. I do want a 27+ though

I've no recommendations for one, slutmonkey may. Amazon is probably a better spot for them, hwvs don't have any lower priced ones in stock

I'm going to order what I have. I will upgrade later if I feel I need to. Thanks though.

Fair enough, best of luck with the build.

What's the final spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is no need for a 1440p monitor especially since he is going to be using two monitors. Rather than one screen and then split screen it to seem like you have two monitors.

This Acer K2 is an IPS panel that gets good reviews on Amazon and Newegg, but it looks like there are TN and IPS versions of the the same monitor with different random letters after the K272HUL model name.

The Geizhals link is an IPS model though.

If you're having trouble navigating geizhals and don't use Chrome, Microsoft Translator has a script you can bookmark to translate pages with a click.

Benq get good reviews on TFT Central.

There is no need for a 1440p monitor especially since he is going to be using two monitors. Rather than one screen and then split screen it to seem like you have two monitors.

No replacement for height. Unless he rotates one monitor in portrait.

Fair enough, best of luck with the build.

What's the final spend?

€1602. Still need keyboard and mouse plus windows and ms office.

They wont let me pay by anybother method but transfer

• Advertisement

Windows

8.1 Pro+Office is €50

If you type a good bit, you might as well splash on a mechanical keyboard. Something like a Ducky. Mouse for your needs would be a fairly standard €20 job

I ordered a Qpad 80 mechanical keyboard (cherry brown) and a Logitech M570 mouse from Amazon. Hopefully they will do the trick. They cost circa €200, so I expect good quality and longevity from them.

I will pick up some small logitech speakers in Argos for like €16 and a microphine of similar price. The keyboard has 2 usb ports for peripherals I believe.

HWVS received payment on the 17th and cleared the order for delivery an hour after that. When shoukd I expect to receive the order?

My pc is driving me nuts. It's like it knows that it's getting replaced and is trying to pish me off.

Takes a solid week after delivery I've found

Keyboard and mouse arrived at parcel motel the day before yesterday. Brother in law picked them up for me, as I am in Italy for a week. Still no sign of the order though. Hopefully it gets there safely before I return.

So, what way do I install windows if I do it using reddit? I usually just have a windows disk for the 30 day trial and upgrade from there.

Go to the reddit link, download the ISO you need from the links on the right hand side, and use Rufus to create a bootable USB or CD.

You boot from the USB or CD, and install windows as normal.

to get your key, message the guy on reddit, send the money through PayPal and wait. You type it in during the install

I rang hwvs today about the lack of information on my order. Turns out that they have no sata cables and held the order back:mad:

I asked the guy to remove the sata cables and the order should be shipped today. I would understand them holding the order for pretty much any other part of the build, but for the sake of sata cables, I was a bit annoyed tbh. Now I'm just waiting for the tracking number when they ship.

So, my delivery was delayed by a day due to some labour dispute in the UK according to UPS, but it suits me fine, as I arrive home late tonight from holidays and I will be home all day tomorrow, which is when delivery is scheduled.

I'm a little nervous about building it, but I am sure I will manage ok and should have help on hand if I need it.

I was wondering, if I did want to turn the build into a powerful gaming pc, can I just add a good GPU? It seems everything is in place.

And should I pick up an anti-static bracelet?

I assume I will get all the screws and stuff I need to install the parts?

My only exeperience with this kind of thing is:

i) 2 week contract working in a network computer place where I installed mother boards onto case plates and connected some components.
    ii) removing and cleaning fans on my hp touchsmart pc.

Yeah a GPU is all you need, maybe a power supply upgrade if you get a high end card.

All the screws and everything will be included.

You don't need one, just ground yourself before you start (touch bare metal) and don't build it on carpet.

You've seen yourself how many parts you're ordering, its basically ->connect to motherboard->connect to power supply and occasionally things need to be screwed into place like storage drives or GPU

Cleared up post:

So i'm pretty much done putting it together. I took my time and was careful as possible. I haven't turned it on yet, or connected a monitor, or any peripherals. However, there are a few wires and connections I can't find a place for. They are:

A) the Nanoxia case has adjustable speed fans and up to 6 fans can be connected to the adjusters, so I just connected the 2 front fans to the 1A and 2A connector blocks. This leaves 1B, 1C, 2B & 2C free, which I think is ok.

B) the power unit has several wiring looms. I connected the S-ATA blocks to the 5 drives and the single DVD drive. I connected the power cable to the motherboard and all the sata cables are connected to the MB and drives too. There are some connectors which I found no place for.
    i) 2x HDD Dvd and an fdd connector on one loom.
    ii) CPU1 P4 and CPU P8 an another loom.
    iii) 2x VGA1 connectors on the other loom.

An EPS cable came with the case and I don't know if it needs to be used.

edit: i turned the pc on, but it is a fail.

The led light on the power button flashes once. The led light on the dvd drive flashes once. The rear fan turns for a few seconds and then nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

goz83 wrote: »
    So i'm pretty much done putting it together. I took my time and was careful as possible. I haven't turned it on yet, or connected a monitor, or any peripherals. However, there are a few connections I can't find a slot for. They are:

i) fan speed splits 1B 1C 2B 2C. I connected 1A and 2A to the front fans.
    ii) the power unit has some cables spare. 2x HDD Dvd and an fdd on one loom.
    CPU1 P4 and CPU P8 an another loom.
    2x VGA1 connectirs on the other loom.
    iii) there is also an ectension cable with 8 male pins on one end and 2x4 female pins on the other end.

Does this sound ok? I dont want to cause damage if something is not plugged in.

I also received 4 plugs for the power unit. 1 is an eu connection but the other 3 are uk/irish plugs :confused:

Maybe when Imopen the monitors, i might find the other 2 uk plugs are for those ;)

I have no idea what you are saying, pictures would help put an image of each item described.

Advertisement