Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP cards now work on the city buses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

some drivers are just stubborn and anti technology

if any mistake was made during the leap card launch is that a tag on/off system was implemented take the work out of it for them. Cause for some drivers its just a case of being ignorant or stupid. maybe both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

jkforde wrote: »
    in fairness, that's a total over reaction.... I've been using the leapcard from the off and only in one or two cases have I experienced technical issues or untrained/uninterested drivers......

As I said in the opening sentence of my post, I am only basing my opinions on the comments I read in this thread. I haven't used the Leap in Galway yet.

But I reckon that "one or two" cases of "untrained/uninterested drivers" for a system that is only been in operation for a month is one or two cases too many.

If I was 'uninterested' in any job I had, I wouldn't last till lunchtime.
    Laviski wrote: »
    some drivers are just stubborn and anti technology.

That shouldn't make a jot of difference on a public transport service.

Bus Éireann, despite popular belief, isn't there to cater to the whims of the people who work for them.

Lapin wrote: »
    That shouldn't make a jot of difference on a public transport service.

Bus Éireann, despite popular belief, isn't there to cater to the whims of the people who work for them.

guess you don't follow news that much and how CIE have being trying to reform but unions block it at every avenue no matter how reasonable the proposal was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've used the leap card with about a dozen different drivers and they've all known how to use it without issue.

However, I've never seen another passenger use one. I wonder what the uptake has been like?

I used it on a trip to Dublin too and it was handy not to have to think about change.

Especially now that an adult bus fare has gone up to 2e, paying the 1.60e rate on leapcard makes things much more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    However, I've never seen another passenger use one. I wonder what the uptake has been like?

I'd say low. Mainly people who I recognise as foreigners who work here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Laviski wrote: »
    guess you don't follow news that much and how CIE have being trying to reform but unions block it at every avenue no matter how reasonable the proposal was.

I watch the news all the time and agree that the unions are crippling CIE but that doesn't excuse drivers for not doing their job properly.

Have a good look at your post I responded to and tell me where it does before making guesses about me.

You went on to say that some drivers are "ignorant and stupid".

If that is the case you could maybe blame CIE for hiring ignorant and stupid people and the unions for representing them.

But staff in any job have a duty to take responsibility for their own actions too, apart of what their unions or employers tell them.

Either way, it seems to be having an effect on those who count, (the passenger) in a negative way, and that should never happen.

Running a bus service in a place like Galway is a relatively simple operation. Introducing a new method of fare payment like the Leap should not be such a difficult thing to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just a note about the day saver changes:
    Adult from €4.10 to €4.20, an increase of 2.44%. They are also valid for 24 hours from the time of purchase, rather than the calendar day.

Day saver tickets are only valid for 24 hours if purchased with LEAP card, according to a driver when I asked. Paying as usual with cash, they're still just valid for the calendar day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Especially now that an adult bus fare has gone up to 2e, paying the 1.60e rate on leapcard makes things much more palatable.

the Leapcard discount is 16% so a single trip with the card will be 1.68, still worth having the card

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

the Leapcard discount is 16% so a single trip with the card will be 1.68, still worth having the card

Nope, they announced with the price increases that it would stay at 1.60.

Lapin wrote: »
    Introducing a new method of fare payment like the Leap should not be such a difficult thing to implement.

until you show a driver how to charge you for a fare.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not a fixed 16%.

With the Leap 90 Discount (I'm not sure if it is yet available outside Dublin), you can get some very steep discounts, e.g. on a trip involving two buses, instead of paying €1.95+€1.95=€3.80, you can pay €1.50+€1.50-€1.00=€2.00 - that's a 48% discount, although it is the extreme case.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

I was going to moan about yet another increase in bus fares, but in all fairness (fareness?) I happened to be getting on the first bus in 4 or 5 months that had arrived on time, so maybe the extra 10 cent has helped them become an acceptable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm still being charged 1.60 after the fare increase.

I'm still being charged 1.60 after the fare increase.
    That's what the fare is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So how are people getting on with using the Leapcard in Galway? Anytime I take the bus I notice a couple of people using them.

There is a page here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057381954 with the updated operational details.

So how are people getting on with using the Leapcard in Galway? Anytime I take the bus I notice a couple of people using them.

Still waiting for Bus Éireann to start putting tax saver tickets onto Leap and so give me my free one. In the meantime Mr Obumble has the one I bought in Dublin and it's working now well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

I find it great but still can't buy a monthly ticket on it... have emailed them about it asking why.... and the increased availability of loading locations is good, esp. the Centra on Forster St., why the shop just up from Richardson's doesn't have it I don't know

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

A while back Leap announced this on Dublin Bus: "Use your Leap Card to save €1 on your second journey if it's within 90 minutes of your first"

I asked them on twitter if they intended to roll this out to Galway and got these responses.

"At present, Leap90 doesn't apply to Galway as most second and subsequent journeys are taken via a ticket and not with travel credit. Leap90 only applies to journeys taken with travel credit. Hope that makes sense."

Sounds kinda weak.

Mr_A wrote: »
    A while back Leap announced this on Dublin Bus: "Use your Leap Card to save €1 on your second journey if it's within 90 minutes of your first"

I asked them on twitter if they intended to roll this out to Galway and got these responses.

"At present, Leap90 doesn't apply to Galway as most second and subsequent journeys are taken via a ticket and not with travel credit. Leap90 only applies to journeys taken with travel credit. Hope that makes sense."

Sounds kinda weak.

There's more to it than that.

Leap90 in Dublin doesn't apply to Bus Eireann - only to Dublin Bus, DART/commuter trains and Luas.

I'd guess there are plenty of Galway journeys where 2nd journey discounting clearly should apply - eg Salthill to Eyre Square followed by Eyre Square to GMIT - but BE's systems won't allow it yet, or they're arguing over the revenue implications.

• Advertisement

Still waiting for Bus Éireann to start putting tax saver tickets onto Leap and so give me my free one. In the meantime Mr Obumble has the one I bought in Dublin and it's working now well for him.

I hope this is well advertised by LEAP/NTA to the companies in Galway City/County offering this to employees.

I find it great but still can't buy a monthly ticket on it... have emailed them about it asking why.... and the increased availability of loading locations is good, esp. the Centra on Forster St., why the shop just up from Richardson's doesn't have it I don't know

Here is the full list from www.payzone.ie for Leap Card's in Gawlay City.
    • Spar 13/15 Mainguard Street
    • Easons 33 Shop St Galway City
    • Londis High Street
    • XL Merlin Woods 1 Middle Street
    • Centra Forster Street
    • Mullans Convenience Store Castlelawn Heights, Headford Road
    • Spar Ballybrit, Galway Technology Parkmore
    • Maxol Westside Shopping Centre
    • Supervalu Ballybane S.C.
    • Cotters Stores Shangort Road, Knocknacarra
    • Cappagh Stores Ros Ard, Cappagh Road Road Knocknacarra
    • Centra G & L 5 Upper Newcastle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

For a limited time from the 22nd June 2015 you can order a free Child Leap Card (ages 4-15 and 16-18) from www.childleapcard.ie

From 6th July to 19th July, when you use your child Leap Card .. it will cost you nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

How come the month ticket can only be used in a calender month?

I'm debating whether it would actually be worthwhile me getting the card. 36 trips a month I would usually make but what's the point if i just have to buy another €70 worth of travel when the month is over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I know!
    I mean, how come the day ticket can only be used in a calendar day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

snubbleste wrote: »
    I know!
    I mean, how come the day ticket can only be used in a calendar day?

What I mean is really it's only of value if you buy it in the first few days of the month. Why can't you buy a 4 week pass? 28 days.

Is the Leap Card in Galway? I know they were trying to bring it nationally, but are the city Bus Eireann services using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the Leap Card in Galway? I know they were trying to bring it nationally, but are the city Bus Eireann services using it?

Yeah, it's €1.60 for a single fare.

Do they have weekly/monthly tickets?

• Advertisement

Can now top-up leapcard using an NFC phone.
    https://about.leapcard.ie/about/using-leap

Advertisement