Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where it all began...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...was actually released in 1984...
    ...but recorded in December 1981 according to discogs.

What about Rockit?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Never noticed that, and actually also on the wiki entry... I wonder what he did with it for the 3 years before it was released?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E2-E4

Yeah Rockit is great, love that early electro sound. 'Beat Box' by Art of Noise is brilliant too...

Art of Noise - Beat Box Version 1

Another classic electro track from the early 80s.

Hashim - Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)

Here's another, 1984... think I'm going to have to start picking these up on 12"!

Arthur Baker - Breaker's Revenge (Extended)

Back to late 70s for these two...

Gino Soccio - Dancer

Cerrone - Supernature

• Advertisement

Some mad industrial/EBM stuff now, again shows another use of the electronics that were becoming available!

This first one from 1981.

Liaisons Dangereuses - Los Niños Del Parque

A little later this one, 1986... Nitzer Ebb

Let Your Body Learn

& 'Join In The Chant' from 1987... (I love this live version from 1989)

A few from early Mute.

The first Mute release actually here by Daniel Miller, founder of Mute Records.

The Normal - Warm Leatherette (1979)

Fad Gadget - Ricky's Hand (1980)

Yazoo - Situation (1982)

Last two for now!

Paul Hardcastle - 19 (The Final Story) (1985)

And back again to late 70s...

Giorgio Moroder - Chase (1978)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Back to late 70s for these two...

Gino Soccio - Dancer

That track reminds me a lot of The Race.

Some of you might be interested in Variations on Radio Web Macba a series by Jon Leidecker (aka Wobbly) charting the history of sampled music.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

And back again to late 70s...

Giorgio Moroder - Chase (1978)

Just noticed on discogs that the above was arranged by Harold Faltermeyer, he of Axel F fame.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Space - Magic Fly (1977)

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra (1974)

Love that Magic Fly track, years since I've heard that one and could well have been many more years!

Got an email from Boomkat about the reissue of the 1980 album 'Synthesist' by Harald Grosskopf. Limited run of course with nice packaging and a bonus remix CD. Stuck it on my already over the limit card so hope it slips through!

Harald Grosskopf - 1847 EARTH

**Super-limited pressing comes in a beautiful metallic print, reverse-bound sleeve including a 60 minute bonus CD of remixes by James Ferraro, Oneohtrix Point Never, Stellar Om Source, ARP +++ ** Finally touching down in deluxe, reverse-bound jacket, the RVNG reissue of Harald Grosskopf's influential solo debut from 1980. 'Synthesist' was created on the cusp of a new decade, as the New Age of the '80s was dawning and the titans of Krautrock had largely left their best work behind them. Harald had worked with the very best of them, playing drums on seminal albums by Klaus Schulze, the notorious Cosmic Jokers, Ashra, and Tarot before he retreated to the West German countryside with a MiniMoog and Revox Reel-to-Reel in 1979 to create his personal opus. It's been said elsewhere, but it bears repeating that this album feels like a symbiosis of the two eras, the proggy excesses of the '70s reigned in by percussively pulsing arpeggiations which would signal Techno on the horizon, especially on the jaw-dropping '1847 Earth' and the joyfully funky ecstasy of 'Transcendental Overdrive'. His legacy is faithfully handled on the remixes, the best of which appear in CFCF's dreamy remake of 'B. Aldrian', JD Twitch's emphatically NRGetic mix of 'Emphasis', the wormhole experience of OPN's 'Trauma' and Ferraro's slyly charming interpretation of 'Transcendental Overdrive Zone' under the Keyhole Voyeur alias, retitled 'Wishmaster'. Strictly limited copies - don't sleep!
    http://boomkat.com/vinyl/378947-harald-grosskopf-synthesist-re-synthesist

Harald Grosskopf - 1847 EARTH

Scary stuff!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think its hilarious that Juan Atkins is on record as saying Sharevari is not a techno track. The opening alone is more techno than anything Atkins made for years afterwards, as is the rest of the track. The lyrics are about going out and partying all night and the name comes from a party which was being promoted around Detroit in the late 70's early 80's.

It almost seems like Atkins doesn't want people to think anyone else had anything to do with inventing techno. IMO his role is wildly overstated, prob as a result of him being marketed in England as one of its inventors on the early techno albums.

In fact, can anyone point me to a good Atkins track? I wanna be there is pretty good. No UFO's is very good. A lot of the others are overrated, and are really electro IMO, particuarly all the early ones.

Saw him DJ in London in the late 90's. He was crap.

Absolutely love this, really shows where this music came from and how long ago. Also reminds me of that old Kooky Scientist video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScrghVh15s&feature=related

Here's one from the same show with No UFO's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EarSRa19sZc&feature=related

Here's my candidate for a very early housey / technoey / trancey / something track, from the unlikely Eddy Grant of Electric Avenue fame, first released in 1977. Apparently a massive track in the Paradise Garage nightclub. I came accross it in a Masters at Work essential mix and it didn't sound out of place at all, thought it was prob from the late 90's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjipEFenTmM

a148pro wrote: »
    I think its hilarious that Juan Atkins is on record as saying Sharevari is not a techno track. The opening alone is more techno than anything Atkins made for years afterwards, as is the rest of the track. The lyrics are about going out and partying all night and the name comes from a party which was being promoted around Detroit in the late 70's early 80's.

It almost seems like Atkins doesn't want people to think anyone else had anything to do with inventing techno. IMO his role is wildly overstated, prob as a result of him being marketed in England as one of its inventors on the early techno albums.

In fact, can anyone point me to a good Atkins track? I wanna be there is pretty good. No UFO's is very good. A lot of the others are overrated, and are really electro IMO, particuarly all the early ones.

Saw him DJ in London in the late 90's. He was crap.

Heresy!

Some of his early work is more electro sounding alright and some of it pretty harsh on the ears these days, not aged very well. But there is other material which is most certainly more techno than electro, take 'Off To Battle' from 1987 for example... I like this one a lot.

Typical early electro from Model 500... love this myself.

Electro is definitely not for everyone though and in the minority around here for sure!

The album 'Deep Space' is a real classic and a personal favourite too.

Model 500 - M12 Milky Way

Just to add also, I think in fairness to Juan Atkins, really he gave the name 'techno' to something that was already being made or had evolved to the point where he called it something... thats not to say that the sound didn't already exist, just without the tag I suppose.

Anyway, who gives a fck... we've got the music one way or the other :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Forgot to post these guys:

You have to listen to Festival of Death the whole way through. Brilliant...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Sure jaysus, this could have been out on Sandwell District

gsparx wrote: »
    Sure jaysus, this could have been out on Sandwell District

Very brave

Not to forget this little ditty;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA9YrUktxDU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Nolanger wrote: »
    19 sixty fu**in' 8!

Far out!!!:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

And Negativland as well:

Love Negativland. Their radio show Over The Edge (on the go since 1981) shows Irish radio for the dull lifeless cr@p that it is.
    There's a show they did in April '99 called History of Noise, a rebroadcast of a show from Canadian radio, which gives a great timeline from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring at the start of the century right through to Age of Love near the end.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Anyone for Popcorn?

Above is the original which I always thought was by Jean Michel Jarre.
    He covered it in 1972 under the pseudonym Jammie Jefferson and the Popcorn Orchestra.

But the version you're all probably most familiar with is neither the original nor the Jarre cover but another cover also from 1972 by the band Hot Butter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Kraftwerk - Kristallo (1973). There is no doubt that Kraftwerk revolutionised electronic music.

I still love so much of the electronic sound of the 80s, this was always a favourite and one I go back to on youtube often enough...

Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling

• Advertisement

I still love so much of the electronic sound of the 80s, this was always a favourite and one I go back to on youtube often enough...

Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling

Their name always makes me think of Blue Nun. Crappest band name ever...

Advertisement