Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are the English different from us?

• 13-04-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Spaniards often tell me that the Irish are so different from the English.

How are we different? My experience here is we seem to be a friendlier and mix more with locals and learn the language more...in general.

What do u think? Are we even any different despite our different origins?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dunford wrote: »
    Spaniards often tell me that the Irish are so different from the English.

How are we different? My experience here is we seem to be a friendlier and mix more with locals and learn the language more...in general.

What do u think? Are we even any different despite our different origins?

A friend was in southern Spain with his family, in a cheap as chips hotel. At the pool bar, the barman called him English, so he politely pointed out that he was Scottish.

The barman then asked why he was on holiday with a group of drunken English families, which confused my friend because he was the only non Irish person in the hotel.

As he walked back to his lounger, he realised why the barman was confused. All the kids and half the adults were running around in Man United and Liverpool football shirts.

There is very very little difference between the two to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Any who thinks there is no difference between Ireland and England only has to go to a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

A friend was in southern Spain with his family, in a cheap as chips hotel. At the pool bar, the barman called him English, so he politely pointed out that he was Scottish.

The barman then asked why he was on holiday with a group of drunken English families, which confused my friend because he was the only non Irish person in the hotel.

As he walked back to his lounger, he realised why the barman was confused. All the kids and half the adults were running around in Man United and Liverpool football shirts.

There is very very little difference between the two to be honest.

Why because some Irish people wear English football jerseys or support non-Irish clubs?

By your logic there is no difference between Lithuanians & Polish people because some wear each other sports jerseys, or French people watching American Netflix programs means there is little difference between Americans and French people, or there is very little difference between English people and Germans because some shop on amazon.gr instead of amazon.uk.....:rolleyes:

Its called 'globalisation'

All neighboring countries have a shared history with another that is normal, it does not mean there is "little difference".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This smacks of your typical After Hours thread.

Genetically, we are quite similar to our neighbours than persons of a nationalistic bent like to think. Britain was 'Celtic' or at least spoke Celtic languages after all. Any social differences might be accounted for from their more rapid early industrialisation and growth of large cities. In general, many Irish people are only a few generations removed from working the land, so there would be better odds of the preservation of rural customs into modern times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Genetically, we are quite similar to our neighbours than persons of a nationalistic bent like to think. Britain was 'Celtic' or at least spoke Celtic languages after all. Any social differences might be accounted for from their more rapid early industrialisation and growth of large cities. In general, many Irish people are only a few generations removed from working the land, so there would be better odds of the preservation of rural customs into modern times.

Same is true for France and much of Spain too.

• Advertisement

Closer genetically to people from the northern Iberian peninsula, the Basques for example, thats not saying that some Britons are not however.

That would make sense, it was far easier to travel by sea in ancient times than it was by land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

IrishProd wrote: »
    Closer genetically to people from the northern Iberian peninsula, the Basques for example, thats not saying that some Britons are not however.

No, Western British and Irish are closer genetically. Eastern Englush are a bit closer to Dutch, Danish, German etc due to Germanic invasions.
    The Basque idea is basically the flat earth of genetics, way out of date with the field seriously advancing in the last five years.

Ipso wrote: »
    No, Western British and Irish are closer genetically. Eastern Englush are a bit closer to Dutch, Danish, German etc due to Germanic invasions.
    The Basque idea is basically the flat earth of genetics, way out of date with the field seriously advancing in the last five years.

A lot of valid research contradicts your assertion.

Example:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/09/a-tale-of-y-chromosomes-and-tea-leaves/

FYI: I said the Iberian Peninsula, I was only using the Basques as a non-specific example.

Head counts mean nothing. Old forms of R1b have revently been found in remains from the Ukranian steppe, indicating an East West movement.
    High numbers of R1b just mean fathers had lots of sons and their sons more sons and so on.
    Autosomnal DNA shows how close populations are, that's where British and Irish cluster together.

This study is from when the age and origin if R1b started to be revised.
    http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2011/08/back-to-drawing-board-for-r-m269-busby.html?m=1

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »

Could it be a product of recent history. I wonder what the picture was like 1000 years ago.

robp wrote: »
    Could it be a product of recent history. I wonder what the picture was like 1000 years ago.

There's been a hell of a lot of interaction between us and what is now Britain, hardly surprising given the proximity. Who was it that kidnapped St Patrick after all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A 1000 years ago? Typical conversation when my late father spoke about the ancestral mention in the Doomsday Book (almost 1,000 years ago)– “Well, we don’t know exactly which of the two in the Book was our direct ancestor, but one, a freeman held a hide and the other, a sokeman had several virgates and the Inquisito Eliensis details them along with villeins and a number of slaves ……
    Mother – Old soaks more like it, don’t mind your Inquisition, they were running around naked and painted blue with woad when my family were Kings wearing silk in Dal Cais!

I'd say it's further back, even interaction between the North and Scotland goes back thousands of years.
    Ultimately most European populations derive from the same few sources, the differences being they got different amounts at different times.
    The most isolated areas (far West) would by and large escape much of the movements from the continent that England had.
    Its also a case of how good of a proxy a modern Irish/Brit is for a historical one. Which I suppose really is the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

personality wise though do we differ? The Spanish seem to think we're a lot nicer, open and friendlier.

are we that different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

No we're no different. We're just as pissed up and just as ugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Dunford wrote: »
    personality wise though do we differ? The Spanish seem to think we're a lot nicer, open and friendlier.

are we that different?

I think if you looked at tourist surveys they'd say hands down that Ireland is much more open and friendly than england.

But thats through circumstances and environment. We all come from the same northern european DNA soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think if you looked at tourist surveys they'd say hands down that Ireland is much more open and friendly than england.

But thats through circumstances and environment. We all come from the same northern european DNA soup.
    The English have sharper fangs and more pointed ears than the Irish. FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DaBlackMask

We're better Fact!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Queues. I have lived in Ireland for a long time now, but am still perplexed as to why people charge headlong for a door, instead of forming a nice orderly queue. I was indoctrinated to queueing at a very young age.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Irish are obsessed with what others think of them particularly Z list celebrities from soap land when they come here flogging their book or gob****es of US politicians chasing an Irish vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

A lot of valid research contradicts your assertion.

Example:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/09/a-tale-of-y-chromosomes-and-tea-leaves/

FYI: I said the Iberian Peninsula, I was only using the Basques as a non-specific example.

Five year old blog post, times have changed. For example we now have ancient DNA which we didn't have 5 years ago. Also R1b-L21 was only discovered in what 2008 and 2009? Wherease R1b-DF27 (dominant branch of R1b in Iberia) was only discovered circa 2012.

Well we now have ancient DNA from Cambridgeshire including two Iron age men, who interesting enough cluster more with modern Irish/modern West Scots, than with modern English.

It's fairly evident that the English are an admixed population, think of Brazilians or mexicans except in their case they've only been undergoing admixture for 500 years as oppose to 1500 years for the English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I'm English and I live in Ireland - there is little difference to be honest.
    As someone has already mentioned, funerals differ - in England it can take weeks to get one whereas here it's very quick.
    The whole process of burying/cremating and then having a get together is basically the same though.

One thing I find over here is that people are a lot nosier - I don't mean that in the harsh or mean way it sounds - but it is true.
    At home, there was a lot less of 'John Smith down the road done this' type of thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing as it's good sometimes to know what your neighbours are up to, helps to keep an eye on each other.
    But people are more gossipy over here, more interested in what people are doing - I hear lot more gossip here and see a lot more judgement on people like single mothers, divorcees etc.

Irish people in general are pretty nice though, about the same as in England. I prefer to live here than England - not sure why really, just like it.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The Irish are obsessed with what others think of them particularly Z list celebrities from soap land when they come here flogging their book or gob****es of US politicians chasing an Irish vote

Can't think of a time when any 'celeb' interviewed on the BBC from outside of the uk was asked if they (a) had any English relatives or (b) what they thought of the English or (c) if they had drank any English beer.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

As someone has already mentioned, funerals differ - in England it can take weeks to get one whereas here it's very quick.

Isnt that because Catholics dont like to leave a body unattended between death and burial so the funerals tend to be pretty quick just for logistical reasons, whereas the protestants dont really care so the body can left on ice for awhile to allow for arrangements.

I think thats the reason but I could be wrong.

I'm English and I live in Ireland - there is little difference to be honest.

I live in Germany and people here are mostly the same as home. Personalities don't vary across national borders but how people imagine their identity and customs does. And Irish perceive their identity hugely differently to English or Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Isnt that because Catholics dont like to leave a body unattended between death and burial so the funerals tend to be pretty quick just for logistical reasons, whereas the protestants dont really care so the body can left on ice for awhile to allow for arrangements.

I think thats the reason but I could be wrong.

I'm not really sure of the reasons to be honest.

I like the way that here, the family stay with the body until burial, that is really nice and I would have liked to have that option for relatives of mine that have passed away at home.
    On the other hand, when we cremated my dear Granddad last year who I was extremely close with and heartbroken by his death, I really needed that 2 weeks to come to terms with him being gone - having his funeral only a couple of days after this death would have been far too soon for me, I wouldn't have been ready to say goodbye. If that makes sense.

I live in Germany and people here are mostly the same as home. Personalities don't vary across national borders but how people imagine their identity and customs does. And Irish perceive their identity hugely differently to English or Germans.

Same went for Dutch and Swedes in my experience, in general there's very little in difference across most Europeans. As for the Anglosphere I do get the impression that if anything Ireland is moving more in the direction of the US than Britain. This is evident in how "Dortspeak" shares [ɻ] when it comes to realisation of r with american-english. (In areas that were more recently Irish speaking you still hear Irish [ɾ])

Than again people have been complaining about americanisation of Hiberno-english since at least when Dallas was on the tv!

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    if anything Ireland is moving more in the direction of the US than Britain.

We were always closer to Boston than Berlin.

Sure but especially with younger generations it's case of been closer to LA than London when it comes to things such as popular culture etc. (Uptalk and dreaded "Vocal Fry" among younger women for example)

Sure but especially with younger generations it's case of been closer to LA than London when it comes to things such as popular culture etc. (Uptalk and dreaded "Vocal Fry" among younger women for example)

Suppose that could be classed as some sort of fad that will disappear in time to be replaced by something else rather than a de facto cultural difference.

Suppose that could be classed as some sort of fad that will disappear in time to be replaced by something else rather than a de facto cultural difference.

Well it's linguistic convergence, you have to remember that traditionally Hiberno-English has an Irish substrate. This has led to non-standard features due to influence of Irish. However these were always regarded as "bad english" (thence the fact Dublin use to have the highest number of elecution schools in than UK), so over time Hiberno-English has converged with "standard english". Now given that "General American" has prestige due to media/popular culture it's not surprising that we are seeing convergence with it, it helps that American English of course is Rhotic like Hiberno-English, whereas standard English has become non-Rhotic (as influenced by RP).

In another 50 years or so "Hiberno-English" as we knew it will be dead and we'll all just speaking a globalised "Mid-Atlantic" speak with perhaps some unique words thrown into mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In another 50 years or so "Hiberno-English" as we knew it will be dead and we'll all just speaking a globalised "Mid-Atlantic" speak with perhaps some unique words thrown into mix.

لا أعتقد أن كنت على صواب في هذا الرأي.
    هذه هي اللغة التي تكون كلها خمسين عاما يتحدث في المستقبل.

تاك

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The business about funerals is more to do with the size of the population. No matter how enthusiastic you might be to bury someone, if you can't get the paperwork done and organise a 'slot' in the undertaker's diary, you are not going to get someone underground/cremated - not in less than a week or 10 days anyway.

As to the friendliness of the Irish, yes, it is true that people will acknowledge you in the street and be friendly in the pub, but unless you are related you do not get invited into other people's houses. If you have long time friends from college or school this is also a basis for friendship, but if you are a blow-in, tough. I am amused by the american tourists who come and are under the impression that they have made friends at the b&bs they stay in...no, you are a paying customer, you paid for friendliness and a pleasant smile. Which is great for the tourist industry- and the b&b's have a return customer, but that is all.

• Advertisement

I believe that is the case in both countries.

looksee wrote: »
    I am amused by the american tourists who come and are under the impression that they have made friends at the b&bs they stay in...no, you are a paying customer, you paid for friendliness and a pleasant smile. Which is great for the tourist industry- and the b&b's have a return customer, but that is all.

The tourists don't get to see the flip side of Irish nature, the begrudgery and backstabbing.

The tourists don't get to see the flip side of Irish nature, the begrudgery and backstabbing.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do wonder why the constant need (see frequent threads in AH) in a few people to compare Irish and Brits, and reassure themselves that the Irish are cuddly. Some are, some aren't, same as everywhere.

As to the difference between English and Irish, well which English are you talking about? The city people or the country people? North or south, any particular class? Are we going to select anecdotal individuals to prove a point on either side, or is there a way of generalising about an entire country? Do the vast numbers of people of non Anglo-Saxon/Celtic/other ancient groupings count as English for this survey?

And why English, would it not be more interesting to compare, say, the Welsh and the Irish, or the Scots and the Irish?
    My experience here is we seem to be a friendlier and mix more with locals and learn the language more...in general.

What does this mean? Where is 'here', which locals, which language?

Can we have a bit more specific question so a reasonably (semi)academic discussion can be held?

looksee wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far, but I do wonder why the constant need (see frequent threads in AH) in a few people to compare Irish and Brits, and reassure themselves that the Irish are cuddly. Some are, some aren't, same as everywhere.

You answered your own question there. There is a segment of the population who constantly feel the need to look over their shoulders at the old enemy and harbour a constant need for reassurance that we are the 'good guys' that the whole world loves, a great bunch of lads. I wonder are the French as insecure and pre-occupied about the Germans, or do Africans whinge about their former colonial masters all of the time?

You answered your own question there. There is a segment of the population who constantly feel the need to look over their shoulders at the old enemy and harbour a constant need for reassurance that we are the 'good guys' that the whole world loves, a great bunch of lads. I wonder are the French as insecure and pre-occupied about the Germans, or do Africans whinge about their former colonial masters all of the time?

Well based on an unscientific survey involving living in two ex-colonies shortly (4 or so years) after independence in both cases, I can tell you no, they don't - or didn't. Huge pride in their independence and enthusiasm to go forward, not a lot of looking back.

• Advertisement

Why because some Irish people wear English football jerseys or support non-Irish clubs?

By your logic there is no difference between Lithuanians & Polish people because some wear each other sports jerseys, or French people watching American Netflix programs means there is little difference between Americans and French people, or there is very little difference between English people and Germans because some shop on amazon.gr instead of amazon.uk.....:rolleyes:

Its called 'globalisation'

All neighboring countries have a shared history with another that is normal, it does not mean there is "little difference".

As the op is talking about Spain, no, the average Spaniard will see little or no difference.

Anyone drinking beer to excess, wearing a Man United jersey and swearing in English is instantly considered English.

You can talk about genetics all you like, people aren't more or less friendly because they have more of one gene than another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

To me one of the big differences is the attitudes to civic society and public services, in the UK you have people arguing passionately against the sell off council houses, believe in council provided services, are extremely proud of the NHS, here you get the if its free it will be abused attitude and often a grudging attitude to the provision of services 'why should my taxs pay for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

I don't think the Western European countries are very different from each other in general. At first you can think so due to the language barrier. To be honest there'd be more of a split along rural/urban lines than national ones in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If you want to really notice 'differences', go to Hungary or Finland - even the Baltic States, but especially Hungary or Finland.

In Hungarian - Ha azt szeretnénk, hogy igazán észre 'különbségeket', menjen Magyarország, Finnország - még a balti államok, de különösen Magyarország, Finnország.

Neither country speaks a language that has any affinity whatosever with either Romance, Germanic or Celtic languages.

At least Ireland and the UK almost share a common language, apart from local linguistic leftovers or intrusions.

tac

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Let's see:
    - Healthcare: No
    - Death Penalty: No
    - Gun Control: No
    - Social Welfare: No
    - Education: No
    - Military: No
    - Economic Philosophy: Not anymore

We are much closer to mainland Europe and Berlin, than you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How does this thread relate to history, or is the history forum now the equivalent of the Zoo on politics.ie

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Let's see:
    - Healthcare: No
    - Death Penalty: No
    - Gun Control: No
    - Social Welfare: No
    - Education: No
    - Military: No
    - Economic Philosophy: Not anymore

We are much closer to mainland Europe and Berlin, than you think!

Thank you for your neatly arranged bullet points, but it was obvious I was referring to cultural outlook, not state functions or legal system.

tac foley wrote: »
    If you want to really notice 'differences', go to Hungary or Finland
    The differences you've quoted are purely linguistic though. Culturally the Finns are essentially Scandinavian and the Hungarians are very similar to the Austrians.

Thank you for your neatly arranged bullet points, but it was obvious I was referring to cultural outlook, not state functions or legal system.
    How is our cultural outlook similar to America, but different to mainland Europe? I'm being genuine here, I don't really see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

How does this thread relate to history, or is the history forum now the equivalent of the Zoo on politics.ie

The Irish (at least some of them) like to complain about what they have rather than try and improve things themselves.

The quoted post is an example of this- complaining rather than trying to contribute positively!!!
    I believe the historical context of this could be taken to be years of not being in control or charge of their systems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement