Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Irish times:

Madam, — Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland disapproves of Minister of Science Conor Lenihan’s appearance at the launch of a book arguing against belief in evolution. How times change! Fifty years ago we can imagine The Irish Timesreporting that representatives of religion are aghast at the idea of public figures appearing at launches of books promoting evolution!

It seems science has become the new orthodoxy and woe betide any humble person who takes a different view. The imposition of science over God is truly the exaltation of man, the created being, over and above his Creator.

Perhaps some scientists and humanists just cannot imagine any higher form of life than themselves. What arrogance! – Yours, etc,

JASON O’DONNELL,

St Michael’s Avenue,

Tipperary.

lolwut

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

bluewolf wrote: »
    The imposition of science over God is truly the exaltation of man

I think it's called 'progress'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

J C wrote: »
    ... please try to open yours sometime ... so far, on Evolution, you are in free-fall ... towards the ground!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUc_kATGgg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He even said "what arrogance"
    here we go again with the "I believe an omnipotent being cares about me personally but YOURE the arrogant one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J.kH

There is nothing in this world that irritates me more than people like John May and the publication "The Origin of the Species Nonsense". What ideally needs to be done is to build a time machine and send this closed minded, brain washed individual back to the dark ages, a time when his kind were happy to condemn all science and put "Life, the Universe and Everything" in the hands of a higher power.

I'm an athiest and a humanist. I don't go around shunning people who have religious belief, you could believe in faries for all I care because your belief does not affect my life. However when it comes to people like may trying to disprove credible fact and preaching that evolution is false. It's a different kettle of fish all together!

Where did this guy come from? He apparently left school at an early age where is "real learning" began. Ah....now I get it. It's a book by an un-educated un-enlightened individual who would rather force his beliefs down others throats because his god says "it's right". These are the people who believe the earth is 6000 years old. Proof? (The educated man in the corner asks) They claim their proof is in the bible, a book which although promotes morality, is also filled with outlandish fantasy stories. They ask us to prove evolution...we have fossils of our human ancesters dating back millions of years. No book can disprove hard evidence available for all to see.

Feel better after that rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Well at least there's a silver lining... international attention is too taken up with our drunk toaiseach to have noticed our Minister for Science supports quacks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

lolwut

It's there for "balance."

I love how he calls himself humble and atheists arrogant.

It's there for "balance."

I love how he calls himself humble and atheists arrogant.

Oh I know yeah, it's just lolwut at the actual content.

And yeah that's what I said :pac:
    Tempting to write a letter back to say that
    would be nice to have a second letter in the times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Atheist trying to compensate for something???:D
    yes, probably a lack of sanity on the part of the opposition.

it's okay though, it turns out John May is part of an alien rebellion trying to save us from invasion. i was wondering where he got the name from. :rolleyes:

i'm still calling hoax on John May, his book and indeed J_C. I can be convinced of a lot of things but this is just too stupid to even entertain.

the origin of the species has stood the test of time for over 150 years, is required reading for anyone in the field of biology AND has been scrutinised by millions of the worlds greatest scientific minds and yet it STILL holds water in a world full of scientific discoveries that Darwin couldn't even dream of and is to this day a cornerstone of all biological study.

if this isn't a hoax then this guy seriously needs help. his scientific knowledge is barely that of a 10 year old and his entire argument is based on nothing more than supposition and a very poor imitation of the Chewbacca defence.

you can't claim to have no scientific background and then expect people to take you seriously whilst you fumble your way through an attempt to pick apart hundreds of years of scientific study by millions of biologists who've dedicated their lives to the subject.

this guy is either a total crackpot or it's a hoax, there's just no other logical explanation for something so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Everything is 'in an environment that is suited to them' in many respects ... so WHY did the starfish not change one iota over 500 Million Evolutionist years ... while Humans were supposedly evolving from something that supposedly looked like a fish?!!!

if you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out! please read what evoltion is before raising questions on it. humans didnt evolve from a fish there were many steps and about 500 million years in between. of course, youd have a hard time remembering something that happened 40 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

He even said "what arrogance"
    here we go again with the "I believe an omnipotent being cares about me personally but YOURE the arrogant one"
    As already posted this week... Damned arrogant atheists not believing the universe was created for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Irish times:

Perhaps some scientists and humanists just cannot imagine any higher form of life than themselves. What arrogance! – Yours, etc,

JASON O’DONNELL,

St Michael’s Avenue,

Tipperary.

lolwut

Ahhhh, the the point boils down to the old arrogance retort yet again.
    Now, where is that in the argument pyramid again?
    http://danielmiessler.com/wp-content/uploaded_content/2008/11/argument-pyramid.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    As already posted this week... Damned arrogant atheists not believing the universe was created for them.
    i know, it's damned arrogant of us to believe that we're totally insignificant specks sitting on on a ball of dust floating through an almost infinite void totally by accident and random chance.

damn us all to hell nothingness! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Perhaps some scientists and humanists just cannot imagine any higher form of life than themselves.

Oh we can, that's why we have the best sci-fi :pac:

c_man wrote: »
    Oh we can, that's why we have the best sci-fi :pac:
    yeah, but the other side do have dibs on the first zombie story unfortunately. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

this thread is the second highest ranking google page now for origin of species nonsense maybe we can overtake the official website

jjmay's email john@johnjmay.net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

The man is a literary genius ... just look at the amazing alliteration in the following description of Evolution ... which he describes as “a fantasy of farraginous farcical fatuous feculent facile facetiousness"!!!

... I haven't seen as many F's since the last episode of Fr Ted !!:)

... and the very smoothness of the CMB actually presents a major problem for materialistic accounts of the production of stars and galaxies.
    http://creation.com/recent-cosmic-microwave-background-data-supports-creationist-cosmologies

If I were to say that JC was a

jittering, jabbering, jumbled up old jesuit who jautily japed and jeered his jagged way around our joyous forum

would i be considered a jeenius?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm impressed with the coverage this got. It's a shame the author got publicity out of it, but I can live with it if it gives the minister a slap in the face to take his job more seriously and encourage less if that silliness in future. Books and people that actively encourage others to revel in ignorance really saddened me.

Also, the banner ads for this page, at least for me, are all about cheese. I smiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

I think this thread has gone more into taking the p1ss about the author than the minister going to the launch of the book.
    The author has such a fundamentally wrong grasp about some basic scientific concepts its really not even worth trying to refute his ideas.
    The minister was a tool to agree to something like this.
    Just finished listening to the newstalk interview and while Sean did a god interview he gave him far too much time as it was obviouls he was talking about things he had not idea about!

vibe666 wrote: »
    yeah, but the other side do have dibs on the first zombie story unfortunately. :p

I think the first cool one is in leabhar gabhala eireann (book of invasions) while jesus is technically a zombie, the ones the tuath de dannan made could only be killed by severing the spinal column and were dumb killing machines. although i think if that was the end to the new testtament it would have converted a lot more people

• Advertisement

I think the first cool one is in leabhar gabhala eireann (book of invasions) while jesus is technically a zombie, the ones the tuath de dannan made could only be killed by severing the spinal column and were dumb killing machines. although i think if that was the end to the new testtament it would have converted a lot more people
    it actually makes sense. maybe that's how they spread their infection? secretly having a nibble on unsuspecting passers by.

at the very least it's as good a reason as any to round them all up and put them in quarantine for the good of humanity. :D

it actually makes sense. maybe that's how they spread their infection? secretly having a nibble on unsuspecting passers by.

at the very least it's as good a reason as any to round them all up and put them in quarantine for the good of humanity. :D

well christianity is spread through the devouring of zombie flesh...fúck. i think your on to something. to the zombie survival forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i wonder if i can make millions from a book called the "origin of the specious nonsense is tripe"?

not sure how much money i could actually make though, it's only going to take about a postage stamp's worth of paper to discredit this muppet. ooh, maybe i could just get a deal to make it into stamps and sell them?

i wonder if i can make millions from a book called the "origin of the specious nonsense is tripe"?

not sure how much money i could actually make though, it's only going to take about a postage stamp's worth of paper to discredit this muppet. ooh, maybe i could just get a deal to make it into stamps and sell them?

lol there boards.ie a&a board should team up and write a book lol , but seriously you should write a book refuting him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Dougla2 wrote: »
    lol there boards.ie a&a board should team up and write a book lol , but seriously you should write a book refuting him
    That has already been done. Its called "On the Origin of Species".

axer wrote: »
    That has already been done. Its called "On the Origin of Species".

ahaaahah

or any book by dawkins lol

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

... all that sounds like special pleading to me ... if a combination of mistakes and selection can move pondslime to become Man ... then every population should be continuously changing and shifting over Evolutionist time.

... and as yourself and Harun Yahya have dramatically confirmed this simply isn't the case!!!

sigh. if you're going to insist on not even apprehending what i said, please don't bother to issue a counterargument. then we can dispense with the charade that you're actually arguing with me, rather than saying things that make you feel more secure and comfortable about your collective psychiatric disability. It would save a lot of time for both of us.

i think he just assumes that because he himself hasn't evolved since he checked himself in the mirror last week that evolution doesn't exist. see, FACT!

thats the problem with believing this 6000 years crap. once you close your mind to the idea that things could have happened over a much wider time period than that, it's impossible to comprehend that life could be continually evolving slowly over the course of thousands of generations during hundreds of millions or years.

when you base your whole life and beliefs on a 2000 year old book written by a bunch of bronze age farmers and are told that this is the unimpeachable word of god and that you must never question it, you get to a point where you can't allow for even the tiniest possibility that it might just be a load of crap written by people living in mud huts who didn't know any better and that there might just be other explanations now that we're a little more knowledgeable about our world and how it (and we) work.

the rest of us however understand that the scientists of today are building on the work of those that have come before them. continually questioning their predecessors works and improving and changing them as required when new ideas and discoveries present themselves and then building more on top of that for the next generation in turn to build from.

thankfully for those of us happy to be living in a modern world, science demands that we question everything about everything, hence the word "theory" being used to often.

we leave open the possibility that ANYTHING is subject to change if new evidence comes to light, but when something like the theory of evolution has stood up to the brightest minds in the world for this long, we can be 99.9999999% certain it's correct and that the word "theory" is only there to remind is that nothing is ever 100% guaranteed in science and it always leaves room for the possibility for things to change, just in case.

having said that, i'm pretty sure that the millions of qualified scientists who've studied and dissected Darwin's work over the last 150 years would pretty much all agree that John May, who freely admits that he ISN'T a scientist IS a total quack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Galvasean wrote: »
    Saying you have evidence and sharing it with the world are two diffrent things.
    I have the world's biggest penis. I have unequivocal evidence. Damned if I'm showing you though. :cool:
    Hey, that's my chat-up line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mikhail wrote: »
    Hey, that's my chat-up line.

I have a great penis but I'm not showing you is your chat up line? How that working out for you

zing! :P:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement