Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Bronntanas [TG4]

Options
  • 19-10-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭

An Bronntanas (The Gift), a new, five-part TG4 thriller starring Dara Devaney (Na Cloigne), Owen McDonnell (Single Handed) and Cold Case star John Finn, begins on Thursday October 23 at 9:30pm

Directed by Tom Collins (Kings), An Bronntanas tells the story of the crew of a local independent lifeboat in Connemara who are called out to an abandoned fishing boat, where they find over a million euro worth of drugs.

Do they hand the drugs over or sell them in a bid to help their village?

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0902/640874-watch-an-bronntanas-trailer/

With all the Nordic Noir on BBC4 we should all be well used to watching programmes with sub-titles. I'm looking forward to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, really looking forward to it. The ads for it have certainly grabbed my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Iv'e heard that it's been re-edited into a film with an eye on the oscars. can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Iv'e heard that it's been re-edited into a film with an eye on the oscars. can anyone confirm one way or the other?

It screened at the Galway Film Fleadh and is going to be shown at other festivals. As far as I'm aware it's not been edited in any way as when you include ads the TV version will come in at around two and a half hours

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It screened at the Galway Film Fleadh and is going to be shown at other festivals. As far as I'm aware it's not been edited in any way as when you include ads the TV version will come in at around two and a half hours

I spoke to one of the TG4 execs at the Fleadh and I think I remember her saying it was a cut down version.

The feature comes in at 113 min according to IMDB.

• Advertisement

I spoke to one of the TG4 execs at the Fleadh and I think I remember her saying it was a cut down version.

The feature comes in at 113 min according to IMDB.

As I understand it, the edits were done so as to allow it flow better as a film. There's nothing missing, they just ensured that it flows as a feature and there's no moment where it feels like you're watching a TV show, so no sudden jumps where an ad would have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

As I understand it, the edits were done so as to allow it flow better as a film. There's nothing missing, they just ensured that it flows as a feature and there's no moment where it feels like you're watching a TV show, so no sudden jumps where an ad would have been.

That would make sense alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oscar? I think not. Very disappointing.

An IFTA would be more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Murph_D wrote: »
    Oscar? I think not. Very disappointing.

An IFTA would be more like it!

Slightly harsh, between the two plotlines and the three main characters there seems to be enough material to sustain the five-episode run, and in any case, it easily beats the dog's dinner that Amber ultimately ended up as.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i got this recorded , now to find time to watch it.

• Advertisement

Slightly harsh, between the two plotlines and the three main characters there seems to be enough material to sustain the five-episode run, and in any case, it easily beats the dog's dinner that Amber ultimately ended up as.

I don't think I'm being harsh - if it wins an IFTA it will have overachieved, in my opinion, depending on the competition.

Whatever about the plot line, I personally thought the acting was quite wooden in general, leaning towards the melodramatic. The fact it was in Irish can't disguise this. Lots of over exposition - lengthy dialogue when a couple of shots of action might have moved things on quicker and more dramatically (e.g. the boat rescue scenes). There was even a shot of a guard saying the rosary at one point.

I thought it was all a bit soapish in style, to be honest. I wanted it to be better. The idea of it being entered into the foreign language Oscar category is just laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosmuc

You wouldn't just wait to see another episode(or two) before you rush to judgement. I personally thought it was great-the best thing in Irish drama in a heck of a long time.

rosmuc wrote: »
    You wouldn't just wait to see another episode(or two) before you rush to judgement. I personally thought it was great-the best thing in Irish drama in a heck of a long time.

Did you not think it was a bit stagey and unimaginative? Dont forget people are talking about this being comparable to the best international quality TV drama. Nordic Noir was mentioned. Oscar quality? I AM hoping it will get better with the introduction of the detective characters but that seems unlikely. The first episode should be the strongest. Does it really look and feel cinematic, as opposed to a low budget telly sensibility, honestly now?

Not to me anyway. Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see a TG4 drama break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it but a few things bugged me - a few very cliché lines of script. (And not just a lazy translation but the original Irish script), slightly off acting at times and it just felt a bit rushed. Everyone got on board with the whole drugs thing really quickly. And occasionally the SFX of the speeding boat with the lights bouncing looked poor.

But not bad. There were some very nice shots of Connemara and I think it could turn out to be a nice little series. I'll definitely watch the next episode.
    The stabbing scene was pretty good, probably a weird thing to compliment but I thought it was shot well

The Saturday night timeslot is a bit questionable but i suppose the competition from other channels has to be taken into account. As a result of the timeslot i missed last nights episode but will catch it on the player later.

Great to see a smaller network such as TG4 taking a brave step and commissioning an original drama. I hope it can gain a following of sorts. Traveller Vision 3 should take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As far as I know last night's show was a repeat - it's showing on Thursday nights at 9.30pm first.

I only caught the first one last night as a result of the review in the Irish Times - thought it was a bit clunky in places but am very interested to see where it goes!

Having read the review I went looking for it on the TG4 player - but despite there being about four Ep 1's listed, none of them would actually play. I had to set last night's one to record. Maybe that's a problem with the UPC On Demand system, though, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Anyone watch last night. The scenes at the end looked like they were trying to copy In Bruges and The Guard, they really did not feel like part of the show. Another decent episode, it isn't as good as I expected it to be but it is grand to watch.

Second episode hasn't changed my opinion. I thought the american actor was OK, his Irish sounds as good as anyone else's. (I learned that the Irish for "the murder weapon" is "an murder weapon" :D). Some nice photography from Cian de Buitlear. But that scene in the pub with the dwarf and the tough guy was just ridiculous. I think they were going for some comic effect but it just came across as totally unrealistic and, well, under researched.

Will pass on the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I know it's filmed in Conamara, but does anyone know the exact locations used? There was one place where Jakub was escaping down the hill after robbing the house and it looked fabulous.

I'm planning a visit up around those parts in the next few months and it would be great to see some of those lovely places!

That was one of the most bizarre fight scenes (in the pub slash...papier maché mask warehouse) I've seen on television.

It's like it decided to be a comedy for half of this episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

For all the hyping they're doing of this show on Newstalk etc. I expected a bit better.

I thought the characters became more sympathetic in the second episode which was badly needed. Nice to see some of my old neighbours as extras.

It's in a similar vain to a lot of TG4 shows. Most of their dramas are a bit slapstick at times.

Dialogue could be better. Agree, subtitles aren't't great.

Will keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Is catch up available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a TG4 player. Presume it's on that.

Although maybe not, now I think of it, I had to catch the first episode when it was repeated on Saturday. Couldn't get the (UPC) player to play it although it was listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

It's a pity that Ep 2 descended into farce, it was going ok until then. I'll keep going with it, it's only three more weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It's available on TG4.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

THe second half of episode 2 was very poor, the older brother is really bringing it down with poor acting and the program needs to decide if its a drama or a slapstick comedy.

This is possibly a by-product of An Bronntanas not knowing whether it's a serialised TV drama or a feature film. I don't think it's possible to be both (although it's difficult to imagine that scene making sense in either).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm enjoying it but the end of the second episode was a ham-fisted attempt at humour which detracted from some of the quality in the rest of the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Here's a nice Radio Times article on Celtic Noir attempting to make inroads on the Nordic Noir market:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-05/forget-nordic-noir-when-it-comes-to-dark-drama-its-all-about-the-celts

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    Here's a nice Radio Times article on Celtic Noir attempting to make inroads on the Nordic Noir market:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-05/forget-nordic-noir-when-it-comes-to-dark-drama-its-all-about-the-celts
    Yeah, I think Celtic Noir definitely has the potential to be a really fitting genre for Ireland and the West of Ireland in particular.

But I'm not convinced An Bronntanas is the best representation of that yet.

Something like "Na Cloigne", that tg4 did a while back, was better.

I enjoyed episode 3 more than 2. I'm still finding the transitions between serious and comedic jarring. Jakub has become my favourite character.

Advertisement