Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do we all think of Frasier?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I love the episode where they're trying to stage the radio play and everything that can go wrong goes wrong. Roz and her "woot canal"...cracks me up every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I love the episode where they're trying to stage the radio play and everything that can go wrong goes wrong. Roz and her "woot canal"...cracks me up every time!

Ham Radio is one of the best episodes of a comedy ever. Frasier tries to micromanage everyone and drives them crazy. I love when a voice actor quits after frasiers constant criticism "my game keeper sounded too cultured, that my irishman sounded more protestant than catholic and that my dwarf sounded too tall!"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Frasier going completely over the top and hiring an orchestra to record the jingle to his radio show was just brilliance.

Myself and the GF went through the whole lot a few months back, utterly loved the show and I loved it when Frasier or Niles went full thespian during their regular freak outs. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

And Niles steps in to do all the voices and manages brilliantly until Frasier over directs and Niles pulls the plug.

O'Toole the gardener: Aye, twas himself and no mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Love Frasier but not to the same degree that others here seem to. Niles and Daphne getting together was a complete anti-climax, although I think it was always going to be since they left it so long. One of the main reasons for this I think is that Daphne had never really been a fully developed character, she just sort of pottered around coming out with kooky stories and stuff, so when it came to put her in a relationship they had to tone that down and actually give her some character depth. They should have got together in one of the so-often teased moments of spontanaity and passion.

Cheers was/is a far better show in my opinion, and Frasier works better in Cheers as a supporting character in the ensemble than he does as the lead in his own show. Other opinions are available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Absolutely agree. Cheers was a great series. I always thought a spin-off with Norm and Cliff would have been a better idea than Frasier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Cheers was a great series. I always thought a spin-off with Norm and Cliff would have been a better idea than Frasier.

Ah no way, you can't take 2 of the best supporting characters in comedy history and make them main characters! Would have ruined their legacy from Cheers and been unfunny. Cliff and norm without Cheers have nothing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

A show about Norm and Cliff … outside of Cheers :eek:

I'm watching Season 9 at the moment, the episodes where Frasier is reading the bar Dickens and gets obsessed with karaoke are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I like the scene where he argues with Niles about trying to fit a stapler into a drawer and says "I paid good money for an upright stapler"

I didn't find a video of it on google, so here's the transcript!:)

http://www.kacl780.net/frasier/transcripts/season_10/episode_19/some_assembly_required.html

Frasier: Hmm. Darn. This drawer isn't closing properly. I'd better
    go get my tools and have a look at it.
    Niles: You sure you know what you're doing?
    Frasier: Niles, please. I built a house. I think I can handle a
    simple drawer. You know, it's probably the slidey thing.
    Or the drawer may have become warped. If that's the case,
    then she's going to need to be planed, sanded, and refitted.

I]Niles kneels and examines the drawer.[/I

Niles: Or you could turn the stapler on its side.

I]He does this. The drawer smoothly slides shut.[/I

Frasier: I]dryly, somewhat embarrassed[/I I paid good money for an upright
    stapler.

I]Frasier turns the stapler back up and attempts to close the drawer, which sticks again. He walks back to the kitchen. Niles rolls his eyes. Fade out.[/I

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I prefer Sideshow Bob and Cecil to Frasier and Niles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

btw some people are getting confused on here
    Bebe Neuwirth = Lilith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The episode where they go to Boston is pretty funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Skerries wrote: »
    Bebe Neuwirth = Lilith

she is so good she deserves to be named twice.

Skerries wrote: »
    Bebe Neuwirth = Lilith

To clarify. Lilith - I loved.

Bebe Glazer(Agent) - I hated. Her character is like nails on a blackboard to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

syklops wrote: »
    To clarify. Lilith - I loved.

Bebe Glazer(Agent) - I hated. Her character is like nails on a blackboard to me.

I'd forgotten about the other Bebe. a few posts make a LOT more sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah I like both Lilith and Bebe
    So manipulative

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I've enjoyed almost every episode of Frasier I've seen but I've never seen them in sequence. I really have to watch them all properly some day.

I thought all of the main characters offered a lot to the show; Daphne may not have been as funny as the others (though she certainly had her moments!) but she often played the role of "straight man" quite well, and that's a role that shouldn't be underestimated. I agree that her family were badly written though, they're meant to be from Manchester and yet her brother has a strong Cockney accent? Research department fail!

Anthony LaPaglia is actually Australian, although now sounds totally American.

The episodes I can think of most are the one where Lillith and Niles sleep together, they order room service and then Frasier turns up.

Anyone remember the episode where Milo O'Shea is the shrink trying to deal with the two of them ?

Speaking of guests, there were an impressive amount of famous guest stars and guest callers to the phone in show.

The writing was superb and the interplay between the main characters was excellent.
    How they managed to sell two snooty nosed highbrow opera loving doctors to the general public and make them loved was one of the huge achievements of the show.

I love that episode. He tells Niles and Frasier to avoid each then, then they see his diplomas aren't from their kind of universities, and they suddenly bond over it. Amazing comedy.

jmayo wrote: »
    Anthony LaPaglia is actually Australian, although now sounds totally American.

The episodes I can think of most are the one where Lillith and Niles sleep together, they order room service and then Frasier turns up.

Anyone remember the episode where Milo O'Shea is the shrink trying to deal with the two of them ?

Speaking of guests, there were an impressive amount of famous guest stars and guest callers to the phone in show.

The writing was superb and the interplay between the main characters was excellent.
    How they managed to sell two snooty nosed highbrow opera loving doctors to the general public and make them loved was one of the huge achievements of the show.

I must drive my girlfriend up the wall. We'll be watching an episode where someone rings in and I'll be going "Wait a mminute, isn't that Debbie from the West Wing?" And she will be like "Where?" And I'll be like "On the phone!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Superb show with some of the sharpest dialogue of any sitcom ever. I remember watching the first episode, having been a big fan of Cheers, and it just clicked immediately. Took a bit of a dip in quality when Daphne's mother came into it, but was still very funny. Still watch it at weekends on Channel 4 and still laugh as loudly as ever. Up there with Seinfeld, Yes Minister and Only Fools for me as the greatest sitcoms of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

After 10 years it's safe to say it's my favourite comedy show ever. I can flick into a random show that I've seen a dozen times and it still makes me laugh.
    Just zapped into the Klingon bar mitzvah the other day and it was brilliant.

Reason is what's been said already. Witty, intelligent never stale, Niles! Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's just the best. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Probably mentioned but just an amazing performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Daphne's brother was incredibly annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The episode where Frasier takes a stand by refusing to pay the car park attendant, and ends up getting his wires crossed with Roz's story live on air at the end, is one of the best comedic moments I've ever seen on telly.

Still watch it with my father if I happen to come across it on the telly. Still laugh out loud. Love the intellectual jokes, snobbery and wit.

And Roz is a lasher too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Love it, still watch it

And Roz is a lasher too :D

Roz is unreal looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

My favourite tv comedy ever!

The two brothers, their fusty ways, sheer snobbery, sibling rivalry, their constant bickering and oneup-manship is brilliant. I was such a fan of Niles, I once named a labrador after him :)

The two brothers are renowned psychiatrists yet they both have every neurosis known to man. Remember Niles' narcolepsy :)

Who can not love the episode where they bring in a dog psychiatrist to help Eddie who is feeling down :)

In the earlier episodes, remember the way Frasier would come home and catch Niles in some compromising situation with Daphne, maybe she was trying on dresses, or his tie gets stuck in her zipper etc. "Niiiiles... what are you doing?" almost became a catchphrase of Frasiers :)

By the way, did ye realise that our very own bishop Len Brennan (Jim Norton) was in at least one episode. IIRC he played a butler in one of the stuffy gentlemans clubs that the boys wanted to join.

I totally agree that the later series lost some of the magic as happens to most sitcoms eventually. Daphne's family were goddam awful. And as with all will they / wont they scenarios, once Niles and Daphne get together, it looses the magic also.

I recently googled the cast and was shocked to see how much they have aged
    456631_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

You must remember, that it is 21 years since Frasier first hit our screens. David Hyde Pierce (Niles) was only 34 when he first appeared, now he's 55. Very few people age THAT gracefully. And even more to warp our perceptions is that it is 10 years since the show ended. So the cast aged 11 years over the course of the show (in our eyes, so it would have been a "gradual" ageing). And then aged 10 years when we did not see them constantly. So it comes as a bit of a shock.

Still, one of the best comedy series ever. My personal favourite comedy. Everything about it was so top drawer.

As an aside, regarding Daphne's brothers and their patchwork accents, this was geared for an American audience. For sure, to our ear there is a huge difference between a London and Northern England accent. But to Americans, it all just sounds "English", so they don't bother with regionalising it. Even Roz comments on how Simon Moon sounds just like a prince (the stereotype that all English accents sound cultured in America, even Mockney ones. :P )

• Advertisement

You can definitely watch Kelsey Grammar age throughout, just watch his hair.

Advertisement