Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Following [Fox - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

ejmaztec wrote: »
    In the real world, most people would probably applaud and look around for the hidden camera thinking it was a stunt.

No, because stunt people tend not to be screaming.

Just a few months ago, a bunch of bystanders in Seattle tackled and disarmed an armed robber. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmUpPT7nmE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

last nights episode wasnt great to be honest - doubt ill stay watching. the nanny is really annoying the crap out of me and that whole strand of the story is pretty sh!te really.

i laughed out loud at some of it - when the cop went into claires room to make sure it was all clear but just kind of glanced around and the bit at the very end where it showed the cult expert handing carroll a poe book - another plant i presume? i cant get into it at all

theyre using flashbacks to pad it out - did we really need to see clips of hardy and claires relationship starting? what was the point of it? we already knew they got it on from the letter we didnt need it spoonfed to us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    In the real world, most people would probably applaud and look around for the hidden camera thinking it was a stunt.

Surprised there wasn't someone filming it on their phone.

You think the cop will give them info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Basq wrote: »
    Decent second episode..
    I agree, again, far fetched ludicrous nonsense, but just enough tension to keep me interested. It's fluff telly for ten weeks, with Kevin Bacon.
    . although some of the music choices is fuggin' awful.

The angsty rock tune when Emma killed her mother was bloody atrocious!
    Sepultura covering Massive Attack's Angel - I loved it :D

Still, definitely keeping me interested.

Yep, me too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive enjoyed the first 2 episodes anyway, will definitely keep watching bar a disaster.

• Advertisement

Just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. It starts off as a pretty generic serial killer tale, which in its self is pretty damn entertaining but then once the whole "friends" aspect comes into play evolves into a far more interesting and original story. I'm genuinely interested to see where it's going to go and just how it will all play out, it's not the kind of set up the lends its self to multiple season story arches so I expect that if we get a second season it'll go do a different route.

The cast are good with Bacon and Purefoy being the obvious stand outs and while the rest of the cast have to impress I think that's more down to how they are written. I'm assuming that at least one of the agents and/or US Marshals is a follower.

Given the coverage and criticism of the violence in the run up to the start of the show I was expecting something far nastier than what we got. I found it to be rather tame and while the kills were bloody and rather inventive the show never lingered on the acts themselves. Criminal Minds, CSI and so on are far more visceral as they offer revel in the despical acts occurring onscreen and in those shows there's a string feeling that they exist simply to find the most inventive and disgusting way to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The second episode was better than the first, and I wasn't someone who disliked the first.

I accepted the premise in the same way I accepted Sam and Dean were hunting demons or the crew of Battlestar Galactica were actually stranded in space. If you're not ok with buying into the concept you might as well save yourself the time typing and just exit stage left, it really isn't going to work and you'll be seeing what to your eyes are a mountain of plot-holes. It's high concept, it's far-fetched but it's most certainly interesting.

Some very good set design and the idea of Joe creating an archetypal story with Adam as its lead is a cute twist on the story of a run-down cop, there's a thread of self-awareness there that could prove to be pretty interesting going forward.

I also liked two the two guys and the nanny interacted and hopefully they'll continue to flesh them out over the next few episodes.

It's a very enjoyable thriller show and that's more than can be said for just about every other show with cops that isn't Dexter.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Surprised there wasn't someone filming it on their phone.

You think the cop will give them info?

Pretty sure there was multiple people doing just that in the crowd.

Some people seem to think the world is filled with Rambos that jump into danger at a second's notice. It's those people who are applying shoddy movie logic, not the show - there was absolutely nothing wrong in how the final scene played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

why did the head fbi one/cult nut give the book to the other nut job in jail,are they trying to say she is part of his team??

the show has the makings to be great as long as they dont make a balls of it

It's basic police work, he gains nothing of value to the case by getting the book but it could help them understand him if they can observe what books he's reading (or what he's saying) and give them a tactical edge. You're also trying to ingratiate yourself with him in the hopes he slips up, however remote that is. You might as well play your chips in that situation.

I'd highly doubt if she was 'with' him that she would risk giving him the book, let alone in full view of dozens of guards. He looked surprised by her gesture so I can't see her being involved, at least based off that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

naughto wrote: »
    why did the head fbi one/cult nut give the book to the other nut job in jail,are they trying to say she is part of his team??

It's impossible to know how much is red herring and how much is just them not doing research. Hard-bound books aren't allowed in US prisons.. this might be a plot point, or just lazy writing.

After all, the whole idea that he was reading ebooks on a computer and somehow got around the security to access the internet is ridiculous. Here is an article about a librarian wanting to provide ebooks to prisoners in *minimum* security, but not being able to because the readers can be used to access the internet.

mrkite77 wrote: »
    It's impossible to know how much is red herring and how much is just them not doing research. Hard-bound books aren't allowed in US prisons.. this might be a plot point, or just lazy writing.

After all, the whole idea that he was reading ebooks on a computer and somehow got around the security to access the internet is ridiculous. Here is an article about a librarian wanting to provide ebooks to prisoners in *minimum* security, but not being able to because the readers can be used to access the internet.

Talk about reaching for plot-holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

People who go to that much trouble to find things wrong with TV shows should stop watching the particular show they are watching, they obviously haven't accepted the premise.

Not every show is set in "our" world.

When you watch Game of Thrones do you go for searching for articles stating Dragons don't exist? Of course not, because in the GoT world, they do exist.

Hard bound books in prisons are the least of the things to be worried about in The Following.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Episode 3 was pretty solid, the reveal that they are "teaching" the kid was done well and although it was obvious they were up to something with him other than just holding him i wasnt expecting that angle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

mrkite77 wrote: »

The prison guard Jordy had given him all the access without anyone knowing, that's how he was using the computer and internet.

3rd episode was good,it is just very entertaining despite being so far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The show is just to implausible for me. Right up there with Revolution and thats saying alot lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tvnutz wrote: »
    The prison guard Jordy had given him all the access without anyone knowing, that's how he was using the computer and internet.

3rd episode was good,it is just very entertaining despite being so far fetched.

Keeping watch on a house and no-one thinking that it might possibly have been built with a back door.

I assumed that the woman they were protecting was in on it, basing this on what happened in the first two episodes.

If the chief Fed isn't part of it now, I think she probably will be by the time the head psycho has worked his magic on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When they got the credit card statement, I paused it to see what was the significance. Don't think the prop guys were expecting anyone to do that. Or else everything in America is really expensive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Strong enough episode there, although I think they're trying to make Bacon's character out to be more interesting and edgy than he actually is.

I'm calling it right now that the season will end with the head fbi women turning out to be part of the cult. Or at least some important character if not her.

Very entertaining show so far anyway, I've no idea why some people here are actually looking for reasons to dislike the show, don't watch it if it genuinely annoys you, which is what it seems like to me.

• Advertisement

The fourth episode definitely was the best one for character development so far, both the a plot stuff with Hardy and the b plot with the threesome were effective and added some depth to the characters. The inter-cuts with Hardy and Claire at the end really were built up to excellently, they had the intended emotional pay-off and made a nice change of pace from the shock deaths we got at the end of most other episodes.

Hardy may not be the most original creation under the sun but in the context of the show and with Bacon portraying him he's a very effective lead.

more followers now

ffs this is beyond ridiculous. The way its going ill be starring in it next.....

?

It was blindingly obvious from day one that there'd be more followers. I don't know how that can strike you as surprising.

2 followers this week, they'll probably die (I couldn't watch it anymore) and probably another follower(s) next week. It's so painfully recycled writing.

I watched revolution and I thought that was unbelievably unrealistic but the following makes revolution look so realistic lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Headshot wrote: »
    2 followers this week, they'll probably die (I couldn't watch it anymore) and probably another follower(s) next week. It's so painfully recycled writing.

I watched revolution and I thought that was unbelievably unrealistic but the following makes revolution look so realistic lol.

In what way is it unrealistic? How could the show be in anyway entertaining with 5 followers, he's formed a cult, cult's have a lot of followers.

Stop watching the show if it annoys you, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

no....see Southland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Its a fictional tv show, how did you expect it to go on without more followers. Its obviously very implausible but its entertaining. How realistic was 24? Same idea.

It's also a cult, cults can have hundreds of members.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tvnutz wrote: »
    Its a fictional tv show, how did you expect it to go on without more followers. Its obviously very implausible but its entertaining. How realistic was 24? Same idea.

It's also a cult, cults can have hundreds of members.

Some of the people in it seem to do unrealistically stupid things, like Ryan for one (tunnel vision), and then there's the kid's mother taking off on her own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The show has some of the stupidest (*) most wafer-thin characters ever committed to screen..

.. but yet it's got a solid amount of tension and is good fun!

* am convinced the kid is the smartest of the lot of them by using a curtain rail and skateboard as a make shift battering ram! :D)

Advertisement