Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Horror Story [US Pace - FX - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

First episode was alright, I have been hurt by season 3 so am being cautious on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone still watch this? gotta say I really enjoy it, it can be pretty twisted some of the scenes/storylines.

The fourth season has just aired in the US.

Watch ep 1 last night very good, Jessica Lange brilliant as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

life on mars! fecking gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm a bit cautious about this season after episode one. It felt a bit too Coven for me, whereas it could and probably should have all the elements that made Asylum such a great season (for the record, I was iffy about Asylum after the first episode too, so there's definitely room for them to turn it around).

On one hand, it felt good to see all of the regulars being on the same team for once.

But there's very little peril - the cops are coming to investigate the murder, the show might go out of business, Jessica Lange has been using the freaks to push her own agenda, the spoiled kid...how are any of these a horror plot? The clown is the only passable thing, and he's a genuinely terrifying character (and I don't even have a thing with clowns), but it feels like he's going to end up joining the freaks as he'd have surely attacked someone already.

The one big mistake they need to learn from Coven is to pick their villains early and stick with them and to not try and fit every conceivable twist on the Freak Show concept into one series. It ruined Coven. Jessica Lange was with the Coven, then she wasn't, then the voodoo people were good, then they were fighting with the Coven, then someone was going to be a head witch, then someone died, then they weren't really dead, wait no this is the one person the witch with the power of healing can't bring back to life for some reason, oh god my head is hurting just thinking about it. There were a ****load of plot points introduced in episode one. Let's just hope they stick to them and develop those well.

I'm also worried that Ryan Matthews is going to turn this into Glee meets Rocky Horror with all of the musical numbers. It was genius when they did it as a surprise in series two, it's turning a bit farcical now (especially since I've heard there's ANOTHER one on the horizon soon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

How good was that Life On Mars sequence? Jessica Lange is fantastic once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The clown is proper scary. Looking forward to Michael Chiklis appearing.

How good was that Life On Mars sequence? Jessica Lange is fantastic once again.

When I heard "It's a god awful small affair..." with the accent I nearly died so funny, but very cool visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Poor Meep. :(

Good to see Vic Mackey's still a b*$tard!

That was a poor enough episode the 2nd one, it seems very all over the place.
    Im going to keep watching but I think this will be the last season I watch.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    That was a poor enough episode the 2nd one, it seems very all over the place.
    Im going to keep watching but I think this will be the last season I watch.

It is that kind of show isn't it, sometimes hangs together by a thread.

Also,
    think the cgi on Sarah Paulson's second head is a bit off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Bit of a slow start I agree, not much going on. I'm clinging on to the clown story for now, he's creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

watch episiode 3 thought it was very poor,clown is the only interesting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

The series has been solid so far IMO, but then it always opens strong.

Anybody reckon that a rewatch of Todd Browning's 'Freaks' is in order? It's certiantly very heavily referenced by the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Very Halloween/Halloween 4 with the rich kid.

Nothing against Wes Bentley but would've found it funny if they got Quirrel from the first Harry Potter to play that part.

Thought early Bearded Lady sounded more like Roseanne Barr.

So who do you think will die? Dunno why, but just when they showed Amazon Eve going to her trailer, I thought she would, but maybe that was just to show the wee girl jumping out at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Solid enough 3 episodes.

Looking forward to next week and from what I've read it will go into
    Twisty's backstory.

Dandy is by far my favourite character this season!
    Season 1 - Constance
    Season 2 - Sister Mary Eunice
    Season 3 - Misty day

Dandy is giving me Patrick Bateman from 'American Psycho' vibes.

Season 1 - Violet
    Season 2 - Lana
    Season 3 - Nan
    Season 4 - ........

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

Solid enough 3 episodes.

awful episodes and eps 5 is shocking,the whole season is ruined ny what happen in eps 4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

soap1978 wrote: »
    Solid enough 3 episodes.

awful episodes and eps 5 is shocking,the whole season is ruined ny what happen in eps 4

Not sure what you mean - it's only getting better!

• Advertisement

Bar episode 4, this as been absolutely terrible so far. Where are they even going with it? Coven looks like a masterpiece next to it so far.

rob316 wrote: »
    Bar episode 4, this as been absolutely terrible so far. Where are they even going with it? Coven looks like a masterpiece next to it so far.

Coven was the worst...until now.

I dunno, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's bad. And it's definitely not as bad as Coven, if you think that it's selective memory: Coven was a MESS. Every week there would be a new bad guy or plot point they were looking to add in. This one is fine. It seems to have a coherent story from start to finish. It just doesn't have much to pull you in with or to make you anticipate it each week. And I think, by now, we're all used to American Horror Story's tics, like every character (mainly Jessica Lainge) being morally ambiguous from week-to-week, the original (and usually effective) bad guy being bumped off as a slightly sympathetic character in favour of another (usually less effective) big bad, etc.

Watching it now just makes me think back to the first series. Remember how that opened with a flash-forward that was honoured in full? There was such clarity to that series, like it was a fully-formed story (when you could look back in hindsight now and see moments that were done for shock value to get a good twist along the way; it didn't feel that way watching it fresh though). I think if they're going to do serialised horror, they need to storyboard it from start-to-finish each series, create one killer story then follow that storyboard to the letter. You could forgive the slight deviation or randomness if it was one continuous series over five years, but this is 12 episodes, it should all tie together and hook people.

I think the main thing we've learned from this is that it's confirmed that Ryan Murphy officially can't run a show long-term. He can do one or two great series but then they all go dramatically downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I stopped watching after 4 episodes, found it very disappointing. Sounds like I shouldn't catch up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

You guys are so negative! :pac: I'm enjoying it a lot anyway, ep 7 was a letdown after the excellent eps 5 and 6, but last nights one has it back on track for me. Just annoyed that Dandy had to kill Gloria at the end, she was my favourite character, loved her scenes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You guys are so negative! :pac: I'm enjoying it a lot anyway, ep 7 was a letdown after the excellent eps 5 and 6, but last nights one has it back on track for me. Just annoyed that Dandy had to kill Gloria at the end, she was my favourite character, loved her scenes. :(

Dandy is one mad b*stard! Love his scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

Episode 8 was very weak. I've pretty much lost interest in everything and everyone else at this point in the season bar what happens with Dandy.

The Mordrake episode was excellent. After Twisty, I thought they'd carry on with his story throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Dandy storyline is definitely what keeps me watching this.

Dandy is up there with Zachary Quinto as perhaps the most sinister bad guy they've had on this show. He's done a great job since Twisty was killed off. Hope the actor stays on for future series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Over all I don't think this season has been anything spectacular although it has improved on the woeful Coven, although that's not saying much.

Its just not that compelling or scary, its had one or two moments with Twisty and Dandy but aside from them I haven'd been really interested in that many of the characters.

The Dandy story line is keeping me watching, Jimmy, Elsa, Dell, Bette/Dott and that bad guy with the monster dick are starting to annoy and bore me more than anything now.

I think the show is guilty of having too many bad guys too.

Its not been bad but it could be so much better IMO.

Advertisement