Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Workouts - Training When You Don't Have Time To Train

• 29-10-2014 8:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

One of my coaches arrived in today after a 'mare of a time. Everything that could go wrong for him did go wrong, so he was left with no time to train all day and felt like sh*t as a result. We'd 20 minutes spare between classes, so I got him to do the following workout.

Result? Completely written off, but felt awesome for it.

So let's post up some workouts that can be done in < 15 minutes and fulfil the following criteria;

> 2 or 3 movements
    > mostly compound exercise
    > 1 compound upper, and 1 compound lower
    > rep range that allows you to get a minimum of 5 rounds done
    > non competing movements (for example, barbell rows wouldn't work below because they'd fry your back for front squats)
    > both movements should be roughtly equivalent difficulty wise (manipulated by weight or rep scheme)

10350429_10152776466605115_8735467169327510137_n.jpg?oh=1ccc4e361e7b1de31b56df23708e41ee&oe=54DF9384

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

PS - that is DECEPTIVELY hard. Try it, and I guarantee you will curse me afterwards.

The other one we did;

12 minute round of:
    A1) GHR x5
    A2) Standing DB Press x8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »
    PS - that is DECEPTIVELY hard. Try it, and I guarantee you will curse me afterwards.

Nothing deceptive about it.

Pretty sure I'll be doing these while time is short the next while, so...f*ck you in advance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Depending on time, I go with an old workout that a trainer gave me.

All super sets for 8 reps for 5 rounds.

Bench
    Chin Ups
    Incline Flies
    Upright Row
    Pullovers.

Got it done in around 25 minutes, beautiful pump, and nice conditioning from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm doing a lot of upper/lower superset at the moment. Each workout consists of 4 pairs.
    If time was short, a couple of the pairs would work well in an ARAP fashion. Some are very similar to what you've listed already.

EMOM for 10 mins (5 of each)
    A1. 20m Prowler
    A2. Chins x 5

Scale prowler weight and chin reps as required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gray_3-4.jpg

If your gym has this humble piece of equipment and you're in a rush by all means click on New Workout -> Intervals Distance -> 500m with 1:00 rest time and do 7 of them. Bish bash bosh. ~21minutes and a good conditioning session under your belt. :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    gray_3-4.jpg

If your gym has this humble piece of equipment and you're in a rush by all means click on New Workout -> Intervals Distance -> 500m with 1:00 rest time and do 7 of them. Bish bash bosh. ~21minutes and a good conditioning session under your belt. :)

> 500m x3 w/ 90s recovery for total time
    > 150m x10 w/ 30, 45 or 60s recovery, aim to get each round under 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

This one is from Dan John.

Called the Eagle.

Double KB farmers walks x 20m
    Double KB front squats x 8 reps
    Repeat x 8 rounds
    2 x KBs - try 2 x 24kgs (I've managed 16s - it's awful)

You could follow it up with a swing/push up ladder.
    10 swings
    1 push up
    10 swings
    2 push ups
    Up to 10 push ups

This one is from Dan John.

Called the Eagle.

Double KB farmers walks x 20m
    Double KB front squats x 8 reps
    Repeat x 8 rounds
    2 x KBs - try 2 x 24kgs (I've managed 16s - it's awful)

Looks SO horrible. You're not allowed put them down either right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Exactly - forearm pump is sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

What's the training effect of something like this though? Is this really just something to mentally tick the box that says "trained today"?

My own view is if I don't have time to train I don't train and when I do have time I make the absolute most of it and don't waste my time doing things I'm not 100% sure won't illicit some kind of effect that will help me achieve my goals.

If what you're trying to achieve takes a certain amount of volume or intensity, is there any point in doing a 15 minute workout?

My running training and researching that has tuned me in to the concept of "junk miles", this is the phenomenon of enthusiastic runners going too long or too hard on runs, or even just running for the sake of it because they feel lazy if they don't. It made me realise a lot of strength athletes are doing "junk reps" or even "junk sessions" in the name of training for the sake of it rather than doing the right things in training.

kevpants wrote: »
    What's the training effect of something like this though? Is this really just something to mentally tick the box that says "trained today"?

My own view is if I don't have time to train I don't train and when I do have time I make the absolute most of it and don't waste my time doing things I'm not 100% sure won't illicit some kind of effect that will help me achieve my goals.

If what you're trying to achieve takes a certain amount of volume or intensity, is there any point in doing a 15 minute workout?

My running training and researching that has tuned me in to the concept of "junk miles", this is the phenomenon of enthusiastic runners going too long or too hard on runs, or even just running for the sake of it because they feel lazy if they don't. It made me realise a lot of strength athletes are doing "junk reps" or even "junk sessions" in the name of training for the sake of it rather than doing the right things in training.

It was never intended for strength athletes with big goals. It's for a normal person who just wants to get something in for;

> mental benefit
    > to feel good
    > practice the movements
    > get stronger / leaner (..which will happen to an extent in beginner / intermediates even with abbreviated sessions)

FWIW - I'm the same as you. I'f I'm not doing a proper session - I'm not training.

Another one for ya;

12 minutes
    A1) Sumo Deadlift x5
    A2) Push Up / Dip Variation x5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

kevpants wrote: »

I'd consider them more along the lines of metcons than strength training.

Given that 'junk' applies if there is no purpose, it becomes a question of whether or not there is a purpose to a metcon.

Advertisement