Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Alt/Indie Opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Which bands would you define as middleclass landfill indie?

Hozier, Two Door Cinema Club, Mighty Stef, Le Galaxie, James Vincent McMorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Hozier, Two Door Cinema Club, Mighty Stef, Le Galaxie, James Vincent McMorrow

I'm in agreement that all of these are middleclass indie landfill! Does that make this an unpopular opinion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I'm in agreement that all of these are middleclass indie landfill! Does that make this an unpopular opinion then?

Only with the hipsters! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

daUbiq wrote: »
    Only with the hipsters! :eek:

The latter three aren't popular enough for hipsters to hate, the former two yes ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

The middleclass landfill indie sh*te that Ireland is churning out over the past few years is an all time low for Irish music

Speaking of middleclass landfill indie sh*te, whatever happened to that band that did the "Whatever Happened to Corey Haim" song a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I never got the whole class argument when it comes to things like these. Bands like Radiohead, Blur and The Strokes weren't exactly working class and I doubt that many of us around here are straight-up working class folk from some dingy terraced street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I never got the whole class argument when it comes to things like these. Bands like Radiohead, Blur and The Strokes weren't exactly working class and I doubt that many of us around here are straight-up working class folk from some dingy terraced street.

Vampire Weekend. That said, most of the bands I've loved over the years were indeed working class.

I remember Siouxsie Sioux referring to The Farm as a bunch of bricklayers! What bands are considered working class these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I remember Siouxsie Sioux referring to The Farm as a bunch of bricklayers! What bands are considered working class these days?

Check out Botany 5 to hear where The Farm 'discovered' their sound!

What bands are considered working class these days?
    Does it really matter though? When I discover an artist I'm not particularly concerned about their social background. And I don't believe that the whole working class/middle class thing has much relevance in 2014 as compared to a few decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

porsche959 wrote: »
    Speaking of middleclass landfill indie sh*te, whatever happened to that band that did the "Whatever Happened to Corey Haim" song a few years back.

The Thrills?

Think you answered your own question lol

Does it really matter though? When I discover an artist I'm not particularly concerned about their social background. And I don't believe that the whole working class/middle class thing has much relevance in 2014 as compared to a few decades ago.

I don't suppose it does really matter but we're just having a laugh about it? :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

It does matter when you have rich, privately educated twats singing about life on the dole

It does matter when you have rich, privately educated twats singing about life on the dole

Band such as?

Why does it matter? If I could sing, surely I can sing about anything I like?

I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist in popular music anymore since most of it is manufactured by monstrous record labels for hipster consumption... authenticity isn't really relevant anymore.

I grew up listening to The Cure, New Order, The Smiths and other bands from the eighties so I suppose authenticity was important to me then. If I look at the NME website now, it makes me sick. :( It's like a smash hits version of the NME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't know if this unpopular or whatever, but I feel James Vincent McMorrow is underappreciated to be honest. One of the most stunning voices I've ever heard live and my musical tastes would not usually wander that way really. His utilisation of said voice is also a joy to behold. Puts a lot of other 'cooler' singers to shame vocally and can write a hell of a song too.

It also seems accepted to brand anything you don't like in a certain genre as 'landfill', despite some not sounding anything like each other.

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't know if this unpopular or whatever, but I feel James Vincent McMorrow is underappreciated to be honest. One of the most stunning voices I've ever heard live and my musical tastes would not usually wander that way really. His utilisation of said voice is also a joy to behold. Puts a lot of other 'cooler' singers to shame vocally and can write a hell of a song too.

It also seems accepted to brand anything you don't like in a certain genre as 'landfill', despite some not sounding anything like each other.

Landfill indie isn't a genre so bands don't have to sound like each other. It's used to refer to incredibly forgettable bands who pop up for a few weeks then vanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Landfill indie isn't a genre so bands don't have to sound like each other. It's used to refer to incredibly forgettable bands who pop up for a few weeks then vanish

But what I mean is it's more commonly used with, as you said, 'indie'. Some bands/artists are thrown in despite not being indie or being all that bad to be considered 'landfill'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I probably too old for this lark....but In my day.......:)
    bands that actually refer to themselves as indie usually are not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

People liked Franz Ferdinand because they couldn't buy Josef K CDs in the shops!

I probably too old for this lark....but In my day.......:)
    bands that actually refer to themselves as indie usually are not

I'm too old to bother with the whole "they're not real indie, they're mainstream" hipster argument.

• Advertisement

I'm too old to bother with the whole "they're not real indie, they're mainstream" hipster argument.

"Do I like it?" is all that matters! :rolleyes:

It is a fairly dumb argument. You can definitely have mainstream success and still remain an indie artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It is a fairly dumb argument. You can definitely have mainstream success and still remain an indie artist.

Like The Smiths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭deeks

Our Love to Admire is Interpol's best album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

The middleclass landfill indie sh*te that Ireland is churning out over the past few years is an all time low for Irish music

Yes. We need more bands that sound like Damien Dempsey & Aslan.

iomega wrote: »
    Yes. We need more bands that sound like Damien Dempsey & Aslan.

Definitely an unpopular opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

deeks wrote: »
    Our Love to Admire is Interpol's best album.

Now there is an unpopular opinion :O Turn on the Bright Lights is a masterpiece imo and Antics is damn fine too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

The majority of artists associated with Popical Island are rubbish. There are a couple of exceptions, but the rest are incredibly crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

alleystar wrote: »
    The majority of artists associated with Popical Island are rubbish. There are a couple of exceptions, but the rest are incredibly crap.

I don't know about incredibly crap, but distinctly average, yes. There are a handful of absolute gems on that label.

• Advertisement

deeks wrote: »
    Our Love to Admire is Interpol's best album once you take the dark beauty of Turn On The Bright Lights or the surprising immediacy of Antics out of the equation.

Well, when you put it like that, I concur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Theodor Adorno was a crazy hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Surprising immediacy. There's a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Black Keys are overrated. Their sound is plain annoying and I switch them off any time they come on the radio. In fact I'd rather listen to Kodaline all day than the Black Keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

K4t wrote: »
    The Black Keys are overrated. Their sound is plain annoying and I switch them off any time they come on the radio. In fact I'd rather listen to Kodaline all day than the Black Keys.

If you're a 15 year old girl then this is perfectly understandable.

The Black Keys remind me of Jet. They both went for that classic rock Marc Bolan type of sound but both ended up being really annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Arcade Fire have gotten slightly worse with every album since Funeral and I really do mean slightly as I have always had a soft spot for Neon Bible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

crybaby wrote: »
    Arcade Fire have gotten slightly worse with every album since Funeral and I really do mean slightly as I have always had a soft spot for Neon Bible

That's a pretty popular opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

crybaby wrote: »
    Suburbs > Funeral > Reflektor/Neon Bible

Funnily enough my favourite AF songs are on Reflektor (Afterlife) and Neon Bible (Intervention).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I love Blur but hate the album Think Tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I love Blur but hate the album Think Tank

Hated it when I first heard it but it's grown on me a lot since. It's closer in sound to Gorillaz or Damon's solo stuff than earlier Blur - give it another chance.

• Advertisement

Crazy Beat is probably the worst song on the album. It just sounds like a Fatboy Slim song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Crazy Beat is probably the worst song on the album. It just sounds like a Fatboy Slim song

"We've got a file on you" is ropey as well but the rest of the album is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭roll

today the beatles are meh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

roll wrote: »
    today the beatles are meh.....

And Yesterday?

Anyway, it's been said before but the Foo Fighters are fcuking woeful as is Noel Gallagher's latest stuff.

Birneybau wrote: »
    And Yesterday?

I'd say it would have been cool in the sixties.....

I'd say it would have been cool in the sixties.....

But in what way are they meh today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Despise it. It has a real 'we made this song in 90 seconds as a filler' feel about it

mosstin wrote: »
    But in what way are they meh today?

i just don't get the whole fawning over the beatles thing! this is a thread for unpopular opinions, right?!

i just don't get the whole fawning over the beatles thing! this is a thread for unpopular opinions, right?!

Which leaves those opinions open to question, right? Not a huge fan myself but can see how significant/influential they were in any era.

Ive no doubt they were unbelievably influential at the time! I just find it a bit weird that 18 year olds still say that the beatles are their favourite band....

• Advertisement
Advertisement