Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options
  • 03-01-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

New log for a new year and all that...

So 2013 will be my second year in triathlon. I am still a total novice and slow coach. However my first year was so much fun I cant wait to see what this year holds. I'm finished with my other log as it was a bit too negative at times and right now (for today at least) I'm bursting with energy and enthusiasm.

So my main goal for this year is to keep learning more and build on the small bit of fitness I gained last year. I'm hoping to get faster but also to enjoy the races. I tend to spend the whole triathlon freaking out and worrying so I'm going to try sort that out.

I have a rough idea of what races I want to do but as I'm in college as well as working until May I know I wont be in a position to do as much training as I would like until June. That said here is a list of those races I will definitely do:

Dungarven 10 miler
    Adare 10k
    North Tipp Sprint
    TryAthy Olympic (will be my first olympic eek!)
    Brian Boru Sprint
    Worlds End Sprint
    Charleville Half Marathon

I'm sure I'll fit a few more events in here and there. I'll be doing as many cycle sportives as possible including the Ring of Kerry

So that enough waffle for now, time to log some training

Tuesday 1st Jan 7.5km run
    I've had my garmin 405 for 3 years now. I use it on all my runs and cycles but all I use is the time, distance and pace function. I decided that this year all my training sessions will have a purpose, no more just plodding along (unless its a recovery run :)) so today I got all adventurous and set up and interval session on the garmin. Great fun really, a few minutes warm up then 6X400m with rests in between and a nice cool down jog back home. Really enjoyed this run. I didnt think I would make the 6 reps after doing the first one but in the end it was great, I could have done more.

Wednesday 2nd Jan Turbo and Swim
    I had planned to go for a cycle but I didnt get out of bed till 12 :eek: (v late night on Tuesday) so after lunch I hopped on the turbo instead. 70 mins of working up and down through the gears with plenty sprints thrown it.

Club swim later on. I was a bit nervous about this as I hadn't been to a club swim since the first week in November but it went shockingly well. Totally weird to be doing a club session and feeling strong. Wtf is going on? :D 2000m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Solobally8 wrote: »
    New log for a new year and all that...

So 2013 will be my second year in triathlon. I am still a total novice and slow coach. However my first year was so much fun I cant wait to see what this year holds. I'm finished with my other log as it was a bit too negative at times and right now (for today at least) I'm bursting with energy and enthusiasm.

So my main goal for this year is to keep learning more and build on the small bit of fitness I gained last year. I'm hoping to get faster but also to enjoy the races. I tend to spend the whole triathlon freaking out and worrying so I'm going to try sort that out.

I have a rough idea of what races I want to do but as I'm in college as well as working until May I know I wont be in a position to do as much training as I would like until June. That said here is a list of those races I will definitely do:

Dungarven 10 miler
    Adare 10k
    North Tipp Sprint
    TryAthy Olympic (will be my first olympic eek!)
    Brian Boru Sprint
    Worlds End Sprint
    Charleville Half Marathon
    DCM (to keep Dory company if she so happens to make an appearance ;))

I'm sure I'll fit a few more events in here and there. I'll be doing as many cycle sportives as possible including the Ring of Kerry

So that enough waffle for now, time to log some training

Tuesday 1st Jan 7.5km run
    I've had my garmin 405 for 3 years now. I use it on all my runs and cycles but all I use is the time, distance and pace function. I decided that this year all my training sessions will have a purpose, no more just plodding along (unless its a recovery run :)) so today I got all adventurous and set up and interval session on the garmin. Great fun really, a few minutes warm up then 6X400m with rests in between and a nice cool down jog back home. Really enjoyed this run. I didnt think I would make the 6 reps after doing the first one but in the end it was great, I could have done more.

Wednesday 2nd Jan Turbo and Swim
    I had planned to go for a cycle but I didnt get out of bed till 12 :eek: (v late night on Tuesday) so after lunch I hopped on the turbo instead. 70 mins of working up and down through the gears with plenty sprints thrown it.

Club swim later on. I was a bit nervous about this as I hadn't been to a club swim since the first week in November but it went shockingly well. Totally weird to be doing a club session and feeling strong. Wtf is going on? :D 2000m

Fixed that. Oh, and nice swim. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Fixed that. Oh, and nice swim. :)

Ha ha I thought about that when I was typing the list but it's only happening if you come over- no pressure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Best of luck with the new goals, no doubt you will smash them :)

Sure sign you are a true triathlete now that you are logging your runs in kms :rolleyes: (BTH would be proud of you!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done Solobally8.. alot of enthuasiasm there and a great start to the year..good luck with the new log

Sure sign you are a true triathlete now that you are logging your runs in kms :rolleyes: (BTH would be proud of you!!)

Ha I always log my running in miles but decided to go with kms after reading the discussion on your log!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'll be making noise in Athy so come over and i'll ease your fears by talking rubbish !!

Good luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Best of luck with the new log. Admire your positivity and with that in mind, from my own experience, my second year doing triathlon resulted in some improved results for me. I think the first year is about building endurance and confidence so I predict a great year ahead for you. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Best of luck with it - is the "5-year plan" a public goal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    To beat Izoard in an Ironman

Yours or her's? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yours or her's? :)

No comment.

I'll be making noise in Athy so come over and i'll ease your fears by talking rubbish !!

Good luck with it all

Excellent I'll make sure to scout you out. I'll need the distraction- I havent a notion how I'm going to be ready for an oly swim by June!

Best of luck with the new log. Admire your positivity and with that in mind, from my own experience, my second year doing triathlon resulted in some improved results for me. I think the first year is about building endurance and confidence so I predict a great year ahead for you. Onwards and upwards.

Thanks a mill Shell, if I could improve even a fraction as much as I did last year I would be delighted. You are right about the confidence thing- I think I wont waste as much time and energy being terrified this year (i hope:))

Well RQ is right about the Ironman, I'll have to look up your results Izoard to see about the first part :D

I know its a predictable goal but it's something I have only really dreamed about without telling anyone (except my long suffering husband:)). The plan was that Year 1 I would try out the world of triathlon and see if I like it. But after buying all the gear I figure I should keep it up for a few more years:D. So this year is about doing an olympic and trying to stop being a snail especially with the swimming. Year 3 will hopefully be a consolidation of the first 2 years, building endurance and gaining experience. Then hopefully a half iroman in Ireland in Year 4 and finally Year 5 and half Iroman abroad.

If I achieve all that and am still uninjured and married the plan would be to finally train for an Iroman. I'm giving myself plenty time. I personally believe that I would need those 5 years of experience before I could even consider doing one.

Todays training- Thursday 3rd Jan Short Brick
    40 mins turbo followed by 20 min treadmill run. Sweaty sweaty sweaty:) I then did 15 mins of strength stuff, plank, squats, jumping jacks, crunches etc and lots of stretching.

Diet starts tomorrow. I've half a stone put up in the last two weeks :o

Well RQ is right about the Ironman, I'll have to look up your results Izoard to see about the first part :D

I know its a predictable goal but it's something I have only really dreamed about without telling anyone (except my long suffering husband:)). The plan was that Year 1 I would try out the world of triathlon and see if I like it. But after buying all the gear I figure I should keep it up for a few more years:D. So this year is about doing an olympic and trying to stop being a snail especially with the swimming. Year 3 will hopefully be a consolidation of the first 2 years, building endurance and gaining experience. Then hopefully a half iroman in Ireland in Year 4 and finally Year 5 and half Iroman abroad.

If I achieve all that and am still uninjured and married the plan would be to finally train for an Iroman. I'm giving myself plenty time. I personally believe that I would need those 5 years of experience before I could even consider doing one.

Nice one.

Or you could do a Jackyback on it and just sign up for an IM as your first tri:)

Friday 4th Jan 9 mile lsr
    I just cant do it- I'm so used to talking about miles, I just cant think about kms when I'm running. On the bike yeah no problem but I run in miles. My garmin says miles and my plan says miles :D I think I'll change the watch after Dungarven and will slowly convert to kms.

Today I decided to try find a flatter route for my long runs. However the fact I live in the Himalays * makes it very difficult to find any flat stretch of road longer than 50m. It was fun though exploring the back roads around here but try as I might I couldnt get away from those damn hills. So in the end it was an exceptionally slow lsr made even 'nicer' by the smell of sh!t coming from the fields all round me as the farmers spread slurry.

Happy to get this run done, I was lazy about going out to do it this morning and considered putting it off till Sunday. Lesson learned - just get off my arse and do it!

*slight exaggeration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice one.

Or you could do a Jackyback on it and just sign up for an IM as your first tri:)

I know he jests but don't, my way was the wrong way. Your approach is the way to go.

I know he jests but don't, my way was the wrong way. Your approach is the way to go.

Although I have no plans of being as nuts as you Victor Wet Sunspot, I wonder will I have the patience to wait the five years or will I jump ahead and do one sooner. Time will tell I suppose :)

Anyway no tri training today. I was back in college and we had a tough morning of body conditioning on the ball, with the dynaband and on the floor. I bet I'll feel that tomorrow! We had step practice for 4 hours in the afternoon.

I hurt my knee a few weeks back running down a really steep hill and have been running and cycling through the pain for a while now hoping it would just go away. After 30 mins of step aerobics I could do no more. Decided to skip the swim session I had planned this evening too.

Knee still a bit hurty now but I'm still hoping it will be ok for my club cycle tomorrow. Please please please dont let me be properly injured!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I hope the injury turns out to be nothing much.

And you won't wait five years... :)

• Advertisement

So now I know I can still cycle and swim :D

Met up with the Wheelers for todays cycle. I had planned going with the leisure group but the stubborn side of me said feic it and off I went with the fast group. I had to peddle as if my life depended on it for most of this cycle. It was so tough. I've totally gotten out of the habbit of cycling in a group so I was uber nervous all the time. Survived it though and in a weird way I loved the torture :D I'll definitely be going with them again next week. 78.74kms

Popped into the pool for a nice easy recovery swim after. My achilles was sore pushing off the wall but its grand now. 1050m total.

I didnt have time to think about my knee for the whole cycle and it didnt hurt until I was walking into Tesco after the swim. Cant be that serious eh? :)

10.5 hours training this week. 3 swims, 1 road cycle, 2 turbos and 4 runs. Not a bad week at all. I'm back to work tomorrow so next week's hours will be much lower.

Good start to the year SB8. Hope the achilles and knee are just minor little annoyances.

Monday 7th Jan 3.34 mile run
    Back to work today and didnt get home till late. Luckily MrBally8 had my dinner waiting for me when I got in. Sat down on couch after and promptly fell asleep. When I woke 30 mins later I really thought there was no way I could get up and run. Then I decided I cant keep taking the easy way out, I am only mentally tired not physically.

40 mins later 3.34 mile run and some strength work done. Happy I got off my backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Monday 7th Jan 3.34 mile run
    ... Sat down on couch after and promptly fell asleep....
    ....40 mins later 3.34 mile run and some strength work done. Happy I got off my backside.

Kudos, that hard to do. Proper hoochie behaviour that :)

Kudos, that hard to do. Proper hoochie behaviour that :)

Hard to do 2 days in a row :) I've just sat down after coming home from work. Wrecked! I've decided to skip my turbo session. Just realised I've trained every day for the last 12 days. That's a recipe for injury as far as I'm concerned so today is now a rest day.

Hard to do 2 days in a row :) I've just sat down after coming home from work. Wrecked! I've decided to skip my turbo session. Just realised I've trained every day for the last 12 days. That's a recipe for injury as far as I'm concerned so today is now a rest day.

Sometimes you just have to listen to what the bod is telling you. Hope you're not coming down with anything. My office is like infection central with all the coughing and sniveling. I'm praying I don't catch up!

Sometimes you just have to listen to what the bod is telling you. Hope you're not coming down with anything. My office is like infection central with all the coughing and sniveling. I'm praying I don't catch up!

Thanks BP, I feel much better for taking some time out.

Was still tired after work today but decided to head out for a run as I had a half day and I rarely get a chance to run before it gets dark in the evenings. Decided to do the same interval session as last week. It felt difficult but at least my knee didnt hurt too much. I was thinking 'oh god I'm way slower than last week, I'm crap etc' but then I got home and checked and realised the reason it was harder was because my warm up, intervals, recoveries and cool down were all a nice bit faster than last week. Delighted with that :D 4.77miles with 6x400m intervals

Club swim this evening. I was slow and swallowed half the pool but I managed to do most drills and ended up doing 92 lengths. My most ever! Happy days.

Friday 11th Jan 10.08 mile lsr
    Same route as last weeks 9 mile just went a bit further before turning for home this time. Wow it was way easier for some reason today. I had planned on a pace of 10:30 per mile but could never slow down enough to get over 10 mins per mile. The aim for Dungarven is to run 9 miles at 9min mile pace then go faster for the last mile to get me in under 90 mins. This run today gave me a great confidence boost. Only problem was my ankle started to hurt after 6 miles and was very sore by the end. I feel like I'm constantly hurting somewhere so I'm either a total crock or a hypochondriac :) Every log entry seems to have me complaining about some part of me feeling injured!

Oh just to add- healthy eating for 1 week now - 1.5lbs lost. Another 14 to go!

Sat 12th Jan
    Fitness testing administration practice in college again today. I wanted to act as the instuctor as much as possible to get ready for my exam so in the end I didnt get any kind of workout in at all. Today made me remember though that I really have to put the triathlon training aside for a while and focus on the course. I paid a lot of money for it so cant put it second to my own training as I have been doing for the last few weeks. So from next week on I have to drop some sessions in order to fit in more exercise classes for the course. Its only until the end of April then I can train for triathlons to my hearts content for the rest of the year.

After college I decided to hop on turbo to see if my sore ankle affects me when cycling. Happy to report it doesnt so I'll be able to go out on cycling club spin tomorrow morning. 25 min easy spinning session followed by 20 minutes resistance work. Squats, ab curls, bench press, prone row, 4 mins plank, 20 modified push ups followed by 4 full push ups:eek: It's embarrassing how bad I am a push ups but I've decided to log here how many I can do and hopefully over time I will get better. Until today I couldnt do a full push up and it's important that I learn and make it look easy as I have to demonstrate one as part of my course.

• Advertisement

Sunday 13th Jan 70.85 km cycle and 1.25 km swim
    Wheelers cycle this morning. Wow the weather was AWFUL! I have never been so wet on the bike. Had a problem with my chain about 5 mins in which held everyone up for a while. Pretty annoying as I recently paid my LBS €155 to fix it. One of the lads sorted me out and off we went again. About 30k in it started to rain, then lash and after a while I could barely see the back tyre of the guy in front of me. I could wring the water out of my socks after even though I was wearing overshoes! 70.85 k with an average pace of 29.1 km per hour. Delighted with that.

Quick swim after 1.25 k very easy.

Week Summary;
    8:15 hrs, 3 runs, 2 swims, 1 turbo, 1 cycle and 2 resistance sessions. Even managed 2 days off :)

Advertisement