Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By election delay

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

scr123 wrote: »
    The Lee debacle will cause a serious rebound on FG if the byelection is held before the GE. It might also cause a rebound against them in the other two constituencies if the three are held on same day. Couldnt happen to a nice crowd of people

I think the Lee debacle as you call it might cause a bit of a headache for FG in Dublin South alright but I really don't think it would make much difference to voters in the other two constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The Lee debacle will cause a serious rebound on FG if the byelection is held before the GE. It might also cause a rebound against them in the other two constituencies if the three are held on same day. Couldnt happen to a nice crowd of people

I suppose that will just mean another three seats for Labour then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

It will be close run between Labour and FG, personally I think Lab will win on transfers. It depends a lot on who FG will run. FG Cllr Jim O'Leary who ran in 2007 and was favourite to run in 09 before Lee entered the race has resigned from the party which was a big shock to FG in Dublin S. He would have been favourite to take over from Shatter or Mitchell once they retire.

Former 'Independent' Cllr Gearoid O'Keefe might be a candidate, he joined FG in the last week or two. He seemingly asked to join FF again a few weeks ago but for whatever reason went to FG instead.

I think they will run O'Keefe, he will take a lot of votes in the Mount Merrion-Stilorgan area and tie this area up nicely for FG. Shatter and Mitchell live in diferent parts of the constituency. Don't see FG running another 'outsider'.

FG have been hit by their attempts to rezone certain parts of the constituency, most notably shopping centres in Stilorgan, Nutgrove and Carrickmines so it will be interesting to see how things pan out. It being a by-election it will be run on an ABFF ticket by both FG and Lab. Interesting times nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are a number of posts which I've deleted which are personalising the discussion (I've also deleted ensuing posts). Take this as individual notice that such posts are not permitted, not appreciated and add nothing to a discussion. Your duty as a poster/member is to assume the sincerity of another member when posting unless there's demonstrable evidence to the contrary (at which point the solution is to report the posts to moderators if there's a tangiable reason for doing so). Merely disagreeing with your own view isn't demonstrable evidence of anything and isn't in fact a crime, even here. Kindly take note, the forum and other forum members deserve better. It's always been the case, it isn't difficult to remember, folks...

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Whatever about the truth in the first part of the post, the last part of the post makes no sense, and shows a level of disrespect and contempt (assuming you meant "nicer").

Now if you'd given a reason for that contempt, it might at least make some sense, however FG aren't the ones who ruined this country with their disastrous policies and nod-wink politics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement