Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By election delay

Options
  • 30-05-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Can the government refuse to move the writs and simply wait for the next general election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I would also like to know the legalities on this. Surely there has to be a time limit to the length of time they can prevent it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

AFAIK the Constitution would have to be changed to put a time limit on when a by-election has to be held. I think atm it says something like it should be held 'at the earliest possible convenience' which is ambiguous to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Read an article in the Irish Independent last week that was urging the President to step in on the matter. Instead of going around the country cutting ribbons, maybe she could justify her three hundred thousand euro pay packet and actually stand up for democracy here and say that all 3 by elections should be held at the soonest possible date. What is happening is nothing short of a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

The government is absolutely correct in blocking these byelections after the disgraceful shambles of the most recent one in Dublin South. This turned out to be a total waste of public money and a shameful embarrassment to political democracy. The results of the three elections will have no bearing on the governments ability to stay in office until 2010. All they will do is allow the maniacs opposed to FF to vent their hatred and this they do without wasting public money on their political and economic immaturity. God knows who the Opposition would helicopter in as candidates. Its troubled economic times we are in and solutions are needed not opportunities for useles people to repeat their empty attacks on FF without offering a viable alternative.

I want democracy not rabble rousing nonsense !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

So to suit your needs, people should be denied representation in the dail?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My thoughts are posted on www.unitedpeople.ie
    Feel free to disagree but its an international disgrace that we are being seen to disallow whole communities to go unrepresented for selfish 2 party (FF/greens) reasons.
    Posted by Scr123
    The government is absolutely correct in blocking these by-elections after the disgraceful shambles of the most recent one in Dublin South. This turned out to be a total waste of public money and a shameful embarrassment to political democracy. The results of the three elections will have no bearing on the governments ability to stay in office until 2010. All they will do is allow the maniacs opposed to FF to vent their hatred and this they do without wasting public money on their political and economic immaturity. God knows who the Opposition would helicopter in as candidates. Its troubled economic times we are in and solutions are needed not opportunities for useles people to repeat their empty attacks on FF without offering a viable alternative.

So anyone opposed to FF is a maniac? Talk about whacky, downright disgusting tainting onto the rest of the public!
    The last people that had a mentality of "if they are not with us - they must be the enemy!" - was dictators the likes of Polpot, China's and North Koreas leader.
    It seems Scr123 wishes to paint us all with the same coat regardless of skills, age, dedication to our country's international standing and its very people!

Sorry Scr123, we are not following your blind fanaticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

scr123 wrote: »
    The government is absolutely correct in blocking these byelections after the disgraceful shambles of the most recent one in Dublin South. This turned out to be a total waste of public money and a shameful embarrassment to political democracy. The results of the three elections will have no bearing on the governments ability to stay in office until 2010. All they will do is allow the maniacs opposed to FF to vent their hatred and this they do without wasting public money on their political and economic immaturity. God knows who the Opposition would helicopter in as candidates. Its troubled economic times we are in and solutions are needed not opportunities for useles people to repeat their empty attacks on FF without offering a viable alternative.

thanks a lot, actually its quite likely pearse doherty will get in here if there is a by - election , although its tight between him and FF, hes the only one working on the ground here anyway (apart from mary appearing at the opening of an envelope and burying her head in the sand on murvagh beach)

erm all elections are rabble rousing nonsense, i just want my full quota of representatives, but its the FF maniacs fault for voting pat the cope into europe anyway

The results of the three elections will have no bearing on the governments ability to stay in office until 2010.

Your first point makes no sense. I may be wrong, but a sitting party has never won a by election, so it is quite likely that Fianna Fail and their green lapdogs will not win any of those 3 seats. That will make there majority for FF/Greens very minute. Plus there aim will be to stay in office longer than just 2010.

Your second point, if you want democracy, then every constituency in Ireland should have the correct representation. They don't, and all because a desperate party is trying to cling to power, and prevent the people of those three areas to give their opinion on the governement. Shameful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

This turned out to be a total waste of public money and a shameful embarrassment to political democracy.

FF in government turned out the exact same as the above, and I don't see you objecting to that being repeated ? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

FF have always been about the national interest not themselves:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As someone who's a bit of a blow-in from 20 years ago, I just can't believe this bye-election fiasco and the bullsh1t excuses for their not being held.

It's two fingers being waved at democracy, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Having read your posts, I've concluded that you must be Enda Kenny, and compliment you on your strategy of laying waste to FF in a clever double-bluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's up to FG to move the writ on Dublin south isn't it?

Why are people moaning about the by elections not been held, call it natural wastage, we have too many TDS in this country, how much will the government save apart from their own skins:D by not holding these three by elections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

uh oh, its mister staunchly again

Ah but FF are a national institution:rolleyes:, FF have always been the party of ethics in Irish life:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

thanks a lot, actually its quite likely pearse doherty will get in here if there is a by - election

I don't think he will get in. Just because he came 4 th in the GE, it does not follow that he is a shoe in in a byelection.

The majority of voters in Donegal east, are not SF voters, and he will get very few transfers from FF or FG.
    He would have to get close to 50% first preferances and try to limp over on transfers.

SF don't seem to realise how PR works. They are certain that Pearse will get in, based on his 4th place previously.

The non SF voters still make up a vast majority in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The next government will have to immediately put in a time limit clause into the Constitution, and not let this undemocratic farce happen again!

danman wrote: »
    I don't think he will get in. Just because he came 4 th in the GE, it does not follow that he is a shoe in in a byelection.

The majority of voters in Donegal east, are not SF voters, and he will get very few transfers from FF or FG.
    He would have to get close to 50% first preferances and try to limp over on transfers.

SF don't seem to realise how PR works. They are certain that Pearse will get in, based on his 4th place previously.

The non SF voters still make up a vast majority in Donegal.

SF won't win the Donegal South West by election, FG will win the the by election when it is held as long as they keep Kenny well away for the hustings:D

Why are people moaning about the by elections not been held, call it natural wastage, we have too many TDS in this country, how much will the government save apart from their own skins:D by not holding these three by elections?

They will probably save about enough to keep Anglo Irish in business for an extra 10 minutes

• Advertisement

They will probably save about enough to keep Anglo Irish in business for an extra 10 minutes

Probably:mad: but whoever is in power after the next election is going to be very unpopular, I'm in Dublin south and I feel that I'm overrepresented already with 4 TDS, let alone 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Probably:mad: but whoever is in power after the next election is going to be very unpopular, I'm in Dublin south and I feel that I'm overrepresented already with 4 TDS, let alone 5.

Good for you. I don't think anyone in Dáil Eireann is representing me at the moment.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Good for you. I don't think anyone in Dáil Eireann is representing me at the moment.

Most TDS only represent their own selfish interests and are beholden to narrow minded vested interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

efb wrote: »
    It's up to FG to move the writ on Dublin south isn't it?

Traditionally thats the way it has been done, with the party of the outgoing TD moving the writ.

Interesting to see what FF will do if they do move it. Labour should win that seat. Alex White looked nailed on until George Lee parachuted in.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Traditionally thats the way it has been done, with the party of the outgoing TD moving the writ.

Interesting to see what FF will do if they do move it. Labour should win that seat. Alex White looked nailed on until George Lee parachuted in.

Would Labour be able attract transfers from FG voters, Dublin South is traditionally a very middle class constituency, okay I know its a volatile constituency.

Would Labour be able attract transfers from FG voters, Dublin South is traditionally a very middle class constituency, okay I know its a volatile constituency.

Alex White is quite popular in Dublin South. It would be him more so than Labour I feel who would attract the transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

With the way that the quota works in a by election, I can't see anyone other than FG candidate getting in.
    That's only on past experience.

Transfers are the key in by elections. So I suppose, it depends on who gets the most number 1's to begin with.

If it os a mainly middleclass area, labour may not get the required number 1's.

danman wrote: »
    With the way that the quota works in a by election, I can't see anyone other than FG candidate getting in.
    That's only on past experience.

Transfers are the key in by elections. So I suppose, it depends on who gets the most number 1's to begin with.

If it os a mainly middleclass area, labour may not get the required number 1's.

Its hard to judge from the last by-election as George Lee was hugely popular, however FFs vote collapsed(- 23%). The Green vote also dropped( -7.5%) and both of these are likely to drop further. Labour had a 9% increase in their vote and that is likely to of increased. Remember not all of Dublin South is middle class. There are many working class areas that just happen to be expensive to live in.

It will be tough to beat FG considering they do have a large vote, but will they lose alot of floating voters who were put off by the George Lee fiasco and who are turned off by Enda. I think it will be a tough fight for Alex White but I think its entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Alex White will win that seat - FG are discredited after George Lee and there is no way an unknown or a celebrity FG candidate will pull in more 1st preferences

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Alex White will win that seat - FG are discredited after George Lee and there is no way an unknown or a celebrity FG candidate will pull in more 1st preferences

The Lee debacle will cause a serious rebound on FG if the byelection is held before the GE. It might also cause a rebound against them in the other two constituencies if the three are held on same day. Couldnt happen to a nice crowd of people

Advertisement