Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Crowely MEP (what is he doing?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

efb wrote: »
    I also don't think voting is mandatory and em certainly not the sumtotal of their job

It certainly isn't mandatory but 0% is just taking the piss. And the Vote watch website also contains Stats for drafting legislation, asking questions and such and in Crowley's case it is just as dismal as his voting record. He has done very very little in the last 5 years in comparison to most other MEPs. And it is not as if he is doing a Jackie Healy Rae on it and spending all his time as a glorified councillor. Crowley isn't seen in Munster in between election campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

touts wrote: »
    It certainly isn't mandatory but 0% is just taking the piss. And the Vote watch website also contains Stats for drafting legislation, asking questions and such and in Crowley's case it is just as dismal as his voting record. He has done very very little in the last 5 years in comparison to most other MEPs. And it is not as if he is doing a Jackie Healy Rae on it and spending all his time as a glorified councillor. Crowley isn't seen in Munster in between election campaigns.

I'm defending my rep Ming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

touts wrote: »

That's an interesting website:
    Both of these guys have atrocious records. All of Ming's 36 votes (out of 217) were over two days in July - where he mostly registered his vote as an abstention.

That's not to say he wasn't around - he is marked as 'Didn't Vote' on a good number of the votes (as opposed to 'Absent'), but I suppose he wouldn't want to be passing up his daily attendance allowances.

Ming's record

Crowley's record

I'm defending my rep Ming

Well in that case I agree with you. I don't agree with his politics but As the father of a child who was also premature I have a lot of sympathy for his position. If he is still doing nothing in a few months then my sympathy will end but while his wife and child are both seriously ill people should be more understanding. It is a temporary issue. Crowley is different. He has a track record of inability to do the job over 5 years and there is no sign that he has any intention of returning to work.

If I understand it correct, Mings baby and mother are not in hospital. Therefore, the danger has passed and nothing to stop him carrying out the duties he was elected for. I would also feel he can well afford to hire professionals to support his wife and daughter while he is away.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/people-are-not-stupid-its-getting-worse-ming-hits-out-at-services-across-ireland-30762435.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I also don't think voting is mandatory and em certainly not the sumtotal of their job

It's not mandatory, but it shows an engagement with their job and their purpose for being there. AND is a good indication of their attendance at their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's an interesting website:
    Both of these guys have atrocious records. All of Ming's 36 votes (out of 217) were over two days in July - where he mostly registered his vote as an abstention.

That's not to say he wasn't around - he is marked as 'Didn't Vote' on a good number of the votes (as opposed to 'Absent'), but I suppose he wouldn't want to be passing up his daily attendance allowances.

Ming's record

Crowley's record

He doesn't have to worry about the attendance allowances, he gets 50% of them even though he doesn't attend. Nice work if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If I understand it correct, Mings baby and mother are not in hospital. Therefore, the danger has passed and nothing to stop him carrying out the duties he was elected for. I would also feel he can well afford to hire professionals to support his wife and daughter while he is away.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/people-are-not-stupid-its-getting-worse-ming-hits-out-at-services-across-ireland-30762435.html
    Surely a parent has the right to spend time with their own child.
    I think he's moving the family to Brussels in the New Year

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Of course they have! That is not in doubt. However, one has to question his ability to carry out the duties of an MEP. If he's unable to attent the European Parliament, he should step aside and devote his time and energies to his family. They are far more important.
    Brian Crowley should do the same until his health improves. His welbeing is far more important than any EU decisions/debates.

I wish good health to all, especially Mings baby and Brian Crowley, in the coming years.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Of course a parent has the right to spend time with their own child. But the law has not yet granted paid paternal leave in this country. And in countries that have it, it is parental leave shared with the mother.

Ming does not have parental leave, he has taken time off work for long periods of time while continuing to draw an extremely generous salary. That is immoral.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

katydid wrote: »
    Of course a parent has the right to spend time with their own child. But the law has not yet granted paid paternal leave in this country. And in countries that have it, it is parental leave shared with the mother.

Ming does not have parental leave, he has taken time off work for long periods of time while continuing to draw an extremely generous salary. That is immoral.

Almost as bad as the bloody teachers and there 3 months in summer, 3 weeks at Christmas a couple of weeks at easter and there days off for "training"!

Almost as bad as the bloody teachers and there 3 months in summer, 3 weeks at Christmas a couple of weeks at easter and there days off for "training"!

No days off for training..

I have good holidays, but when I have to be at work, I am there. If I am sick, I get a cert, and that's limited in duration. If I was to take indefinite uncertified leave I would lose my job. And rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Is whataboutery the standard response for everything you try to defend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Aidric wrote: »

According to votewatch he has maintained his 0.00% vote record in this parliament. You can get it on an app now for future reference for the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

It is a complete waste of a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Ming making up for lost time, 98.2% voting record on 2015, 84% overall.

http://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-voting-statistics.html#/#18/0/2015-01-01/2016-01-01//

Ignoring Crowley, all RoI MEP's have about 88% attendance, 90% for 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

I assume brian crowley unable to attend at votes due to health reasons..... but surely , and I don't wish to be harsh , if that's the case it would be best for all is someone else could "have a go" ????

I assume brian crowley unable to attend at votes due to health reasons..... but surely , and I don't wish to be harsh , if that's the case it would be best for all is someone else could "have a go" ????

The health issues were there last term when he missed almost the whole 5 years before suddenly voting every time in the last couple of months. He campaigned in the election specifically on the basis that all that was behind him. He also wanted the FF nomination for the presidency on the basis that he was fit for the office and felt strongly enough about that snub to leave the party (after being re-elected to Europe of course). Clearly he misled the electorate so being harsh is justified. If he completes this term in office he will have worked only 3-4 months in 10 years. He should have never run for re-election and he should step aside.

Anyway its not as if he needs the money. Between his Senate pension and his European pension the man's annual retirement income would be more than most of his constituents earn in several years working. Not bad for a man who became a full time politician in his early 20s, hasn't done a real day's work in his life and has done basically nothing for 10 years.

• Advertisement

Fair comments....have to agree.... His income or pension don't come into it for me.....but a 0%voting record........that's something else...bit of a slight on those who voted for him.

Fair comments....have to agree.... His income or pension don't come into it for me.....but a 0%voting record........that's something else...bit of a slight on those who voted for him.

Not really. They keep voting for him despite his record being known. They are fools and they are deliberately wasting part of our representation in Europe.

Anyone hear this discussion on joe Duffy yesterday????

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Didn't hear the discussion, but based on the thread, had a look at his voting records and it still looks like he hasn't attended anything recently.

What was said on Joe Duffy.

While I have sympathy for anyone who becomes ill, if he hasn't been able to attend anything since he was elected two years ago (I'm open to correction but I don't think he has), is he really representing his constituency and country properly?

Not 1 vote since being elected

Turns out other Irish MEP's have very respectable attendance /voting records but it looks like Brian Crowley has'nt voted ONCE since election.I can appreciate if/ thatthe man is ill ( and I'd wish him every good health) but from the JD discussion it appears that on being elected an MEP you put forward two SUBSTITUTES ....I can't help but think its high time one of these was used.....it's basically a wasted opportunity at representation? ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Just shows how much value the political establishment put on EU representation. A lot is spouted about decisions being taken in Brussels etc., but when it comes down to it, it seems that it's really not that important if Crowley can't attend for years on end.

• Advertisement

Not 1 vote since being elected

Turns out other Irish MEP's have very respectable attendance /voting records but it looks like Brian Crowley has'nt voted ONCE since election.I can appreciate if/ thatthe man is ill ( and I'd wish him every good health) but from the JD discussion it appears that on being elected an MEP you put forward two SUBSTITUTES ....I can't help but think its high time one of these was used.....it's basically a wasted opportunity at representation? ??
    The problem is of course that Crowley is no longer a representative for Fianna FáiL or ALDI, therefore he doesn't want (I assume) to prop them up with an M.E.P seat, which of course is astonishingly blaggardly, selfish behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Being discussed on Sean O,Rourke again, still no sign of Brain. Anyone know of another job where u get full pay after 3 years sick + allowance's + expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I imagine that if FF still held any sway over him they'd have pushed him to go - but as he was kicked out for breaking the rules about the Europarty to join to, they don't.

He had an appalling record in the previous term also and got re-elected on the idea that he'd be OK to go back to work at some point; more than half way through a term and no indication of when that is going to be is taking the mick. Good chance he'd be re-elected again in '19 if he wanted too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I'm sorry to hear the guy is sick but this is getting beyond the beyonds.

http://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-brian-crowley-2.html

Also, he moved to the European Conservatives and Reformists Group which includes the Tories and the UUP amongst its more mainstream members and some rather right wing parties at it's fringes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Conservatives_and_Reformists

Did the people of Munster really expect to be represented in this grouping ?!!

This is a very important job and one of the few voices we have during Brexit and is not there.

Even his website seems to be out of date. It's referencing 27 EU members, there are 28 and talks about the last Parliamentary Elections in 2009...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

If there was a European election in the morning, he would still get elected easily. That's the Irish electorate for you. Never forget they returned Bertie three bloody times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

If there was a European election in the morning, he would still get elected easily. That's the Irish electorate for you. Never forget they returned Bertie three bloody times.

I don't think so, he got the benefit of the doubt the last time that he had exceptional health issues that had come right for him when campaign time came. That's not going to happen ago and I doubt he will even be running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Depends. If FF put someone against him it will spilt his vote, give FG/SF to grab a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Field east

I saw/read somewhere that he is fairly fully up to speed on EU matters as he operates 'his office' from his hospital bed. I assume therefor that he is keeping himself briefed an imputing the best he can via letters, telephone,email, text, bedside meetings, etc. Now if that is the case, why is he not issuing a briefing now and again Eg through the national press, circular via An Post to at least keep us voters up to date on his efforts.
    I wish him a full and speedy recovery from his current ilness but cannot his substitute replacement take over his position on a temporary basis. Or is it the case that if he does that the temporary person's permission to step down is required an Mr. Crowley might be afraid that that may not be forcoming?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Field east wrote: »
    I wish him a full and speedy recovery from his current ilness but cannot his substitute replacement take over his position on a temporary basis.

He'd probably have to pay them that's why, it's plain and simple that it's all about money to him and accruing time so he gets the big pension. He clearly is not fit for the job and should resign. I heard he struggled through re-election knowing full well he wouldn't be a regular at Brussels and he pulled it out of the bag to give the impression of good health. The fact he didn't even attend the first vote makes me believe this.

Pure greed, it's sickening. At least Michael Lowry provides some value for his vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

What about the Shinners getting elected as MP's and haven't once set foot in the house of commons?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

jem wrote: »
    What about the Shinners getting elected as MP's and haven't once set foot in the house of commons?

That's none of our business, Crowley is paid by the EU(in turn funded by Irish tax payers) to represent the people of Ireland which he is not doing, especially disgraceful with brexit going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The Irish Examiner tried calling the Brussles office yesterday, and got no reply.
    If he honestly wanted to serve the people of Ireland South, he'd staff his office in Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

jem wrote: »

Can we keep this issue about Brian Crowley the MEP please. The Sinn Fein/ House of commons debate can go on elsewhere. Its a completely different issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's none of our business, Crowley is paid by the EU(in turn funded by Irish tax payers) to represent the people of Ireland which he is not doing, especially disgraceful with brexit going on

Up until this election, the SF absence from Westminister wasn't any of our business.

However, now we have the situation that the Brexit May government is surviving thanks to the SF absence, which is compounded by the fact of the SDLP demise meaning there is no nationalist voice in Westminister to speak to the interests of this island on the Brexit issue. At a time when SF claim to be speaking for all on this island, they are actually saying nothing at all and have zero influence on anything. Thankfully I would never vote for them, but for those who did, especially those who voted for them for the first time, must be wondering what was the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

blanch152 wrote: »
    Up until this election, the SF absence from Westminister wasn't any of our business.

However, now we have the situation that the Brexit May government is surviving thanks to the SF absence, which is compounded by the fact of the SDLP demise meaning there is no nationalist voice in Westminister to speak to the interests of this island on the Brexit issue. At a time when SF claim to be speaking for all on this island, they are actually saying nothing at all and have zero influence on anything. Thankfully I would never vote for them, but for those who did, especially those who voted for them for the first time, must be wondering what was the point?

I think the principal behind the SF absence from Westminister is solid. They can't request that GB has no influence on matters in NI and Ireland if they are represented in Westminister and are actively engaging on GB issues. The people that vote for them know that and it's their business and right to do so. They aren't 'wondering what was the point?'. The people in NI are fairly tuned in when it comes to representation.

Brian Crowley is completely different. He has a mandate to represent and isn't doing so.

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »
    I think the principal behind the SF absence from Westminister is solid. They can't request that GB has no influence on matters in NI and Ireland if they are represented in Westminister and are actively engaging on GB issues. The people that vote for them know that and it's their business and right to do so. They aren't 'wondering what was the point?'. The people in NI are fairly tuned in when it comes to representation.

Brian Crowley is completely different. He has a mandate to represent and isn't doing so.

To be clear, I have no time for Brian Crowley either, he should step aside. However, because of the first past the post system, SF MPs are representing all of the people in their constituency. Their failure to do so by taking their seat shows up the hypocrisy of the SF claim to represent everyone.

At least Crowley can say he only represents FF voters coming from a multi-seat constituency.

The situations are directly comparable in my opinion. Similarly, we had Luke Ming Flanagan disappear from the EP for nearly a year and there wasn't an outcry. All of them should resign.

To be clear, I have no time for Brian Crowley either, he should step aside. However, because of the first past the post system, SF MPs are representing all of the people in their constituency. Their failure to do so by taking their seat shows up the hypocrisy of the SF claim to represent everyone.

At least Crowley can say he only represents FF voters coming from a multi-seat constituency.

The situations are directly comparable in my opinion. Similarly, we had Luke Ming Flanagan disappear from the EP for nearly a year and there wasn't an outcry. All of them should resign.

We complain when Politicians don't do what they say they will do. SF make it very clear to those that vote for them that they won't go to Westminister. They follow through with the promise. They are principled in that respect and they won't change based on current circumstance (i.e. Brexit). Anyway, it's another thread and discussion.

mal1 wrote: »
    We complain when Politicians don't do what they say they will do. SF make it very clear to those that vote for them that they won't go to Westminister. They follow through with the promise. They are principled in that respect and they won't change based on current circumstance (i.e. Brexit). Anyway, it's another thread and discussion.

Where does the idea that "we complain when Politicians don't do what they say they will do" come from? Apart from left-wing commentators and politicians, I don't hear the majority of people saying that.

A politician that blindly follows through on a promise when the context of the world has dramatically changed - e.g. Brexit - is actually the kind of stupid politician that you want to keep as far away from power as is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I wonder if anyone has done a poll of SF voters regarding their Westminister position.

I know the mantra is that "people voted for us knowing that this is our position" but I'm sure there are many reasons people vote for SF, not just because they won't sit in the British parliament.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

SF isn't the topic here guys..

If you want to talk about SF & Westminster , open a new thread.

Thanks

Where does the idea that "we complain when Politicians don't do what they say they will do" come from? Apart from left-wing commentators and politicians, I don't hear the majority of people saying that.

A politician that blindly follows through on a promise when the context of the world has dramatically changed - e.g. Brexit - is actually the kind of stupid politician that you want to keep as far away from power as is possible.

Google 'politicians and lies'. Start with that.

The second point you make is a discussion about representative democracy. Let's park it and agree to disagree.

Anyway, the issue of Brian Crowley goes back to old Fianna Fail politics, when buddies and the individual trumps all. Bad reflection on Micheál Martin. Feels like nothing much has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

To be clear, I have no time for Brian Crowley either, he should step aside.
    Ah here, that's just cruel. I'm going to vote for him now, just out of sympathy. How could anyone resist those big doleful eyes.
    Shur nobody does anything over there anyway, except clock up massive expense accounts.

recedite wrote: »
    Ah here, that's just cruel. I'm going to vote for him now, just out of sympathy. How could anyone resist those big doleful eyes.
    Shur nobody does anything over there anyway, except clock up massive expense accounts.

Well, him and Ming are great for claiming the expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Brian was extremely ill recently. As someone who knows Crowley personally I know that he is a hard working individual, and he is doing the best in very difficult circumstances. He does intend to get back to the grindstone and make up for lost time, and that process has already begun.

5 years later. Any update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, him and Ming are great for claiming the expenses.
    Of the two, Crowley is probably cheaper to keep. He can't be claiming for hotels and first class plane tickets if he's not actually bothered going over there.

Advertisement