Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My body-memory of Lego as a 1970s parent was leaping out of bed and landing on the sharp little pieces in bare feet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

the problem with a lot of more recent lego is that there are too many specific parts, especially with the likes of the star wars stuff (this is based on seeing nieces & nephews and friends' kids playing with them).
    there's not much you can do with a tie fighter wing except use it as a tie fighter wing.

That's the problem with kids nowadays, no imagination.

Tie fighter wings can be shields, hover pads for under your ship, airlock doors, surf boards, sleighs, covering from the sun on a Saudi Arabian bicycle track etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Probably my favourite childhood toy.
    IMG-20130622-00454.jpg

I always so wanted this though, I'm pretty certain there was a boardsie here that got one on ebay a few years ago. Jealous not!
    8880-1.1105127518.thumb2.jpg

Think my 7 year old daughter would like one of these for Christmas! She has a lot of lego friends bit's and loves the Lego Movie.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-285766-Technic-8070-Supercar/dp/B0042HOU6W
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-42030-Remote-Controlled-Volvo/dp/B00H4908ZM/ref=pd_sim_21_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=184BR2QDHZGK2P32BMK1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ryath wrote: »
    Probably my favourite childhood toy.
    http://www.giocattolivecchi.com/public/_forum_pic/1091367/IMG-20130622-00454.jpg

I always so wanted this though, I'm pretty certain there was a boardsie here that got one on ebay a few years ago. Jealous not!
    http://media.peeron.com/pics/inv/setpics/8880-1.1105127518.thumb2.jpg

Think my 7 year old daughter would like one of these for Christmas! She has a lot of lego friends bit's and loves the Lego Movie.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-285766-Technic-8070-Supercar/dp/B0042HOU6W
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-42030-Remote-Controlled-Volvo/dp/B00H4908ZM/ref=pd_sim_21_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=184BR2QDHZGK2P32BMK1
    I remember one of my (younger) neighbours/acquaintances graduating to Technic before I did. He took on an air of maturity whenever LEGO came up, claiming Technic was far superior to standard LEGO. I don't think I played at his house for much longer after that :p

I still think Technic figures are odd looking compared to the minifigs!

latest?cb=20110302191758

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I just N+1'd this morning. Second hand Genesis CdF. RollingScone is partially to blame for this.

Picking up on Tuesday, overnight touchup on the mechs, crank and saddle and I'm off on the towpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OldBean wrote: »
    I just N+1'd this morning. Second hand Genesis CdF. RollingScone is partially to blame for this.

Picking up on Tuesday, overnight touchup on the mechs, crank and saddle and I'm off on the towpaths.

buh! At least tell me it isn't a 58!

buh! At least tell me it isn't a 58!

No, not a 58 - it's a tiny bit too small for me in its current layout, but I've some left over VO parts from the PassHunter build that will/should size it back up for me. While looking shiny. Mmmm, drillium.

Literally came back from looking at it and got a message from a friend suggesting a group ride along the Grand Canal next month.

No, not a 58 - it's a tiny bit too small for me in its current layout, but I've some left over VO parts from the PassHunter build that will/should size it back up for me. While looking shiny. Mmmm, drillium.

Literally came back from looking at it and got a message from a friend suggesting a group ride along the Grand Canal next month.

For hammering along the canal all you need is this:
    20150531_212323.jpg

Anything more is frivolity

I agree, but building thistle way I want it'll be fun!

Besides, I'm going to want gears and a rack for a 2 day trip.

And I've always wanted a Genesis...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this was my second technics lego christmas present.
    my childhood ended the day it snowed - about a month after i got it - and i put it together excitedly and went out to dig snow with it, and it wasn't powerful enough to dig into the snow.

ex00.jpg

• Advertisement

I agree, but building thistle way I want it'll be fun!

Besides, I'm going to want gears and a rack for a 2 day trip.

And I've always wanted a Genesis...

Got you on everything bar the gears. Are there hills on the Royal Canal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

They don't even pay road tax Lego.

49.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

this was my second technics lego christmas present.

Also got one of these - still have it and rebuilt it with my daughter recently :D

Paddy

Naw, but I'm lazy.

There's the old triangle, where you go jingle jangle along the banks of the Royal Canal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

feeling very sheepish this morning - was out in the car earlier and came frighteningly close to hitting a cyclist; and it was my fault. if you were the chap on the roundabout on the N2, with the N3 interconnector road, you have my sincere apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

http://road.cc/content/review/156183-nathan-lightspur
    Clip-on light for back of shoes.

Ian Walker tweeted:
    "Nathan Lightspur" sounds like a cad who'd seduce his scullery maid then make her face the villagers' shaming stares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

For hammering along the canal all you need is this:
    20150531_212323.jpg

Anything more is frivolity
    Ha, is that the exact same frame as the trip I just did?

Thargor wrote: »
    Ha, is that the exact same frame as the trip I just did?

Nice one. I've only gone 60km on the canal (Maynooth and back, have to do a century soon...busted a spoke with a failed bunnyhop on the forest track section last time)

• Advertisement

Awkward.

feMotjU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Zyzz wrote: »
    Awkward.

feMotjU.jpg

He's getting a bit of slagging on Facebook. Which kind of overlooks the fact that he punctured, chased back on, rode across on his own to the break and then attacked for the line. Class act.

Community meeting in Harold's Cross tonight - wild applause at a call for a proper bicycle track from Kimmage Road West down to the canal. There was also talk of a greenway cycle track…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think this is the funniest cycling video I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ha ha, he had no control of his legs from the moment he tried to move, and him reaching out for the bidon as if he was in an action movie trying to save the vial with the biological weapon in it from breaking open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wonder if cycling behind the tour picking up bidons on the more rural bits and Ebaying them would be a plan? Probably 50 people doing it already though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

10739147314_e92a1bee82_c.jpgCyclist Hate Checklist (& bingo card) by Carlton Reid, on Flickr

Must send a copy to George Hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Wonder if cycling behind the tour picking up bidons on the more rural bits and Ebaying them would be a plan? Probably 50 people doing it already though...

Just buy some team bottles online, fill them, throw them down the road outside your house for that used effect, sell them on eBay as genuine TDF bottles. :pac:

Some sellers on ebay.fr selling bidons from back in the 80's for stupid money.They know people want/need them to finish off a retro team build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Sure just follow Stannard around. He doesn't even take a drink out of his before throwing it away

MagnificentSpotlessGalapagostortoise.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Guys, amateur question but I don't know what BB to get for Sram Force crankset. Little help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,136 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Guys, amateur question but I don't know what BB to get for Sram Force crankset. Little help?
    There are three types: two press-fit and one threaded. What does your current one say on it?

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/component/bottom-brackets

Don't currently have one. Only know crankset and BB shell is threaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Don't currently have one. Only know crankset and BB shell is threaded.

Gxp most likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I had a Sram Red chainset on my last bike. Threaded English BB.
    It used the GXP type.
    I'm pretty sure, Force uses same BB
    The 2nd one, that Lumen references.
    or this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sram-alloy-gxp-bottom-bracket/rp-prod55194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I had a Sram Red chainset on my last bike. Threaded English BB.
    It used the GXP type.
    I'm pretty sure, Force uses same BB

I think gxp is the sram threaded bb name and has nothing to do with the product level. I have force and red in BB30 and a rival in gxp threaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

gxp, 22mm spindle one side, 24 mm the other. Truvativ also make them and you may get a truvative branded one cheaper than a sram branded one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,136 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Idleater wrote: »
    I think gxp is the sram threaded bb name and has nothing to do with the product level. I have force and red in BB30 and a rival in gxp threaded.
    Nope.

This is the press-fit GXP:

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-pressfit-gxp-bb

GXP stands for "Giga-X-Pipe" and the design relates the way the cranks are assembled rather than how the BB mates with the shell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket#Giga-X-Pipe

Thanks for the info guys. The issue is that the diameter of the internal "tube" was too narrow to fit the cranks through.

The Irish Independent is looking for stories, information and photos for "why cycling is great" - probably wanting mostly ordinary-folks cycling pics, pics with kids, etc, I'd imagine, though the odd triumphant racing pic would also make them happy - contact@independent.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Interesting, Cardiff sounds just like any Irish City or town in cycling terms:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33395130
    The feeble attempt at accommodating cyclists meant I was often forced to venture into the middle of the road due to cars parking on cycle lanes.

The worst aspect was drivers's attitudes towards me and fellow cyclists.
    Car horns, aggressive gestures and verbal abuse were a stark reminder that I was not welcome.

If you are lucky enough to find a shortcut through a park, prepare yourself for equal amounts of hostility, with a generous helping of "ring your bell next time" and "you didn't have to ring your bell like that".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Interesting, Cardiff sounds just like any Irish City or town in cycling terms:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33395130

I found Wales to be far worse than Ireland in terms of abuse and intentional close calls. The south and A roads are by far the worst. Back roads and rural roads seem to be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is pretty cool via http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/

National Geographic have an interactive display of which country each rider in the Tour was from down through the years. Click on the left to pick a particular year, or on the dots at the right for some highlights. You can see who each rider is by hovering over them with the cursor.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/news-features/101-years-of-tour-de-france-globalization/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

buffalo wrote: »
    This is pretty cool via http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/

National Geographic have an interactive display of which country each rider in the Tour was from down through the years. Click on the left to pick a particular year, or on the dots at the right for some highlights. You can see who each rider is by hovering over them with the cursor.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/news-features/101-years-of-tour-de-france-globalization/

Preety cool alright, they've mixed up Phillip Deignan and Sam Bennet this year though!

Thanks for the info guys. The issue is that the diameter of the internal "tube" was too narrow to fit the cranks through.

Is it a bb30 crankset? You can fit gxp cranks in a bb30 frame with the right bottom bracket but a bb30 crankset won't fit a frame with a threaded bottom bracket shell.

Normal cranksets have a 24mm spindle bb30 is thicker at 30mm. The u factor is also narrower the cranks are closer together as the bearings are inside the bottom bracket shell and gxp they are external.

QU%20factor.jpg

I honestly don't know about the crankset. I've only ever worked on Old school BBs. All I know is the cranks have an arm that goes through to the other side and the frame is a Nanolight PX. Jeez, this is pathetic. Sorry.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tumblr_no2t2npjfL1r4mfcxo1_1280.jpg

I honestly don't know about the crankset. I've only ever worked on Old school BBs. All I know is the cranks have an arm that goes through to the other side and the frame is a Nanolight PX. Jeez, this is pathetic. Sorry.

Ugh. It's a press fit crankset so it won't fit the frame! So much for the perfect build.

Ugh. It's a press fit crankset so it won't fit the frame! So much for the perfect build.

I'm sure someone will want a swap in cycling adverts. Is it force22 or the older 10 speed?
    Assume it's the old nanolight meant to a very nice frame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tumblr_no2t2npjfL1r4mfcxo1_1280.jpg

Dimitri Konychev, the man who got silver behind Lemond in the 89 Worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

RobFowl wrote: »
    Dimitri Konychev, the man who got silver behind Lemond in the 89 Worlds.

He might've got gold if he didn't go back for his bidon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement