Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever met and helped an 'obnoxious' person?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

There are circumstances under which you can understand. Someone having a bad day or a genuine difference that means they don't intend to offend like autism or they are going through a bad time. Most often then not in those incidents they try and explain or make amends or address the behavior.

I have had a bad day we all make mistakes.

But genuine obnoxious people do exist. Or worse people who go out of their way to be obnoxious for whatever reason. But thankfully they are outweighed by nice people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...buttoning the last button on a waistcoat, buttoning the top and/or bottom button on a 3 button jacket...

Off topic but you know this was only done to appease a rotund king.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i was going through a slip road on to a main road on Saturday morning,. lights were green and i was continuing..50kph speed limit..prob doing 40kph. There was a woman on her bike with 2 kids also on bikes waiting at the lights on teh slip road. As I came close the 5/6 year old on teh bike behind teh woman puts her wheel down on to the road..i stopped fast the woman glared at me and crossed the road.

I said "excuse me, the reason I stopped was that your daughter, who was behind you, put her bike on to the road", her reply "you were too fast anyway..will ye f.. off"

Yeh sure so next time I wont stop I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Yes. This saga occurred in the late 90's so I'll tell the tale. In college, I emailed a second year student answer solutions of a spreadsheet exercise he had to repeat at the end of summer, in order to achieve his national certificate. He BEGGED them off me.
    I could not proceed either into diploma year from Cert Year.
    So I ended up doing a project as part of a final year and that went very very wrong. His conversation that time included 'I fast talked XX our course leader into giving us extra time to complete that module' when everybody else had handed it up. Our course leader had least respect for us, of all students in the class.The other obnoxious aspect of my "project partner" is that he WOULD NOT do any course work at weekends and would mostly communicate with me face to face. I last saw him in "classmate" capacity at our diploma graduation. I saw him a few years later in Dublin, in 2003 getting into a car with an elderly couple. We passed right by each other. I didn't want to give him the time. I'm sure he did'nt want to give me the time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Chloris
    "I'm pretty sure she wasn't autistic, she had overbearing parents whom she had an unhealthy obedience towards and a nasty superiority complex which she made no secret of."

More like a sociopath .

I worked with a woman once who I found totally uncaring of others feelings.
    She would insult them and see nothing wrong with what she said.
    She would be brutally honest where others would be more tactful.
    I hated her at first , but when I got to understand her behaviour
    I actually came to like her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Helping obnoxious people is great because by helping them you end up confusing the hell our of them, because in their cynical world nobody does anything for anyone with our getting something in return and everyone is only in it for themselves.

Following on from my previous post, "having fallen in with the wrong crowd" aptly describes my experience with this particular individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

I can't really think of any examples. In fact I can barely think of a time I helped anyone! Am I one of these assholes? What should I do?

I don't know Tails, but you've done nothing wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

I have given advice to people who have made glaring dining faux pas such as gesturing using their knife and fork, reaching across the table to grab condiments, using the side plate to their right, using a toothpick at the table etc.

I've often helped people who have made silly fashion errors such as wearing a black belt with brown shoes, buttoning the last button on a waistcoat, buttoning the top and/or bottom button on a 3 button jacket. These are very basic mistakes for someone to make, and those who make them appear ignorant to others.

Unfortunately, some people rather than thank me for helping them, have gotten very narky. I presume it's just down to them being embarrassed.

Maybe people just don't care about these unimportant things :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

CaraMay wrote: »
    It's obnoxious when you hold a door open for someone and they don't acknowledge it

Its obnoxious when you hold a door open for someone who hasn't requested it forcing them to up their pace...........especially at the top of a stairwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

mikeymouse wrote:
    I worked with a woman once who I found totally uncaring of others feelings. She would insult them and see nothing wrong with what she said. She would be brutally honest where others would be more tactful. I hated her at first , but when I got to understand her behaviour I actually came to like her.
    There was no liking this one. She was nasty and insulting. One of my friends was awarded a scholarship to Germany and when she told us, the girl said "but... I'm way better at German than you are...". Complete jealousy and no loyalty or kindness.

I heard that she was after starting college and her dad would accompany her everywhere around the campus. That's not right for an adult. I felt sorry for her in a lot of ways, she'll probably never forge any lasting friendships because of the way she treats people. In a way, it's her parents' fault for having such a stranglehold over her life. But there comes a time where you have to cut that umbilical link and just do things for yourself, and if she's too blind or cowardly to go against them, I guess she's destined for that life.

Advertisement