Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was late for work because..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Almost got to my desk once before I got a call from the Mrs saying she "thinks" she left the hair straightener plugged in, she worked a fair bit away so I had to jump in a taxi. Turned out she hadnt left it plugged in at all.

My boss looked at it as seeing as I was almost sat down I wasn't late!! Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

anncoates wrote: »
    You arnott serious :(

Cleary a smartarse on our hands

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

It's a fact of life that things will happen at the worst possible times....

This morning I ended up having to take my daughter to the doctor instead of going to work. She woke up in a lot of pain, and couldn't properly open her eyes. I called the boss and explained. He was very understanding, and even said something along the lines of: "yeah sure you have to prioritise these things".

If you're constantly late and always full of excuses however I'm sure it's a different story, and you're seen as just taking the pi*s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I was a few minutes late this morning cos 2 cows from a neighbours field had escaped and were sauntering down the road with not a care in the world.
    Country living at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

rocky911 wrote: »
    One of the lads out on the piss the night before rang in sick at 4 in the morning with a dose of the scutters...camein at 7.30 forgot he rang insaying that he was going to be late because he forgot to set his alarm...

my old flatmate went out on a Friday nite and go so drunk, she woke up at 8 on sat morn and forgot what day it was sat so rang her boss and left a message on his phone saying she wouldn't be able to come into work as she was up all night getting sick & tried to pretend she had some stomach bug ( she only worked mon - fri) got a lecture of the boss on Monday and was told never to ring in sick after a night out drinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

A burst pipe and having to wait for the plumber is one of my favorite excuses here - I've used that twice in the last 5 years (because my students are always telling me about their burst pipes - common occurrence here, it seems).

Two genuine stupid reasons I was late for work was not being able to find my shoes and getting locked into the apartment by my boyfriend. I told the truth in the latter case but not the first one. I live in an apartment too small for munchkins but always lose my shoes in it but I'd sound like a right simpleton using that as an excuse.

???

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Any job I've ever been in they have almost always be very lax. I work in IT and also have few side operations.
    Usually stroll in between 9 and 9:45 everyday. No bother. If I am excessiviely late I just text saying "running late" and if I was smashed out of my skull the night before then I just "work from home" or call in and say "I'm taking a mental health day"

I know some people can never seem to get to work on time. I'm one of them and it's something I don't understand. I managed to be on time for school everyday for 13 years and on time for college for another 4 years (give or take the odd fuckup with the alarm clock or the bus stuck in traffic bedlam).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

First day of my new job. I was getting ready dressed up in my suit. Sat down the car and the button bust on my only trousers. Had to ring my mother to sow the button as I didn't know how to. Managed to be a half an hour late. Luckily they thought that I thought I started at half 9 instead if 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

gramar wrote: »
    Long-term unemployed?

:) Nope, only unemployed 6 months during those years. I'm obsessive about punctuality. I'll often turn up to a match, meeting, dinner etc over an hour early and I hate others to be late. If I have to go somewhere new, I'll research the route and parking in detail. I might even go the day before as a practice run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

:) Nope, only unemployed 6 months during those years. I'm obsessive about punctuality. I'll often turn up to a match, meeting, dinner etc over an hour early and I hate others to be late. If I have to go somewhere new, I'll research the route and parking in detail. I might even go the day before as a practice run.

You sound just like me! Id rather be 1 hour early than 5 minutes late for something, am also obsessive about looking into how to get there, be it walking, bus, luas ect I have to have it timed and wont take any chances, have to allow for traffic delays and everything esp if going by bus. I just cant abide lateness!

• Advertisement

Egginacup wrote: »
    Any job I've ever been in they have almost always be very lax. I work in IT and also have few side operations.
    Usually stroll in between 9 and 9:45 everyday. No bother. If I am excessiviely late I just text saying "running late" and if I was smashed out of my skull the night before then I just "work from home" or call in and say "I'm taking a mental health day"

I'm so used to flexibility now I don't know how I would get back into strict times were I to work somewhere that had them. Reading about people being asked why they were 10 mins late is frightening for someone who could vary the time they go in by about 2 hours from one day to the next (more if there was beer involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

rocky911 wrote: »
    One I personally used was that my bike got a puncture when I was cycling in...parked my car up the road from the office and threw my head under the tap to make it look like a showered in the changing area like I normally would if cycling...2 years later none the wiser..

LOL, why not just say you got a puncture in the car? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Went to a wedding and drank all night. I woke up the next day in bits and looked at my watch mixing up the little and big hands. Ended up in work gone lunch time instead of 9 am. Thought that 11.40 was 8 am.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Another shitty predicament is what I call the public transport "snowball effect"

In one job I had to take a metro, an intercity train and then a small regional train (in the Netherlands), then a 10 minute walk to the office.

Because the way the times were and how they overlapped if I left home at 7:45, all the pieces fell into place and I'd get in about 9:00 - 9:15.

If I left 5 minutes later, the whole sequences got fucked out of whack and I'd be lucky to be in by 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I was late for work because I always am :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Because I got high, because I got high, because I got hiiiiiigggghhhh.

Dadadadadada

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never late, always a minute or two early! Tbh I live 2 mins from work so I'd have some cheek turning up late unless I got a very bad dose of the scutts just as I was about to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was once half an hour late for my first training day of a new job because I was buzzing the wrong office to be let into the building. Wandering outside wondering why they would schedule me for a training day and then not let me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

everlast75 wrote: »
    We had an office in Dame Street, Dublin and a girl who worked for us lived in Christchurch and used to walk to work.

One morning, she strolled into the office 10 minutes late. I popped my head into the office and asked why she was late.

Her reply?

Traffic

10 minutes late you say?

Yeah Traffic was a stupid response. She should have replied with "Go F&^k yourself".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

syklops wrote: »
    10 minutes late you say?

Yeah Traffic was a stupid response. She should have replied with "Go F&^k yourself".

And I would have responded with a P45 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And I would have responded with a P45 :rolleyes:

Imagine the buzz you would have gotten from that! The power running through those little fingers.

Imagine the buzz you would have gotten from that! The power running through those little fingers.

what exactly is your problem?

You'd think it would be ok for an employee (who you might note had a history of being late) to come in late again, without any explanation, and proffer a stupid explanation - and furthermore not expect to be questioned on it?

She wasn't reprimanded or warned, so it has nothing to do with being power hungry (which your second reply suggests).

And as for your first reply - yes, any employee who would tell me to go **** myself would get fired on the spot and deservedly so. I would expect to get fired if i said that to my boss. Again, that's nothing to do with being power hungry.

Showing some respect to your employer is basic stuff tbh. I don't know how you made it this far in life if you don't know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

A puncture is usually a good cover, until they realise you drive a BMW on run flat tyres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

You'd think it would be ok for an employee (who you might note had a history of being late) to come in late again, without any explanation, and proffer a stupid explanation - and furthermore not expect to be questioned on it?

She wasn't reprimanded or warned, so it has nothing to do with being power hungry (which your second reply suggests).

And as for your first reply - yes, any employee who would tell me to go **** myself would get fired on the spot and deservedly so. I would expect to get fired if i said that to my boss. Again, that's nothing to do with being power hungry.

Showing some respect to your employer is basic stuff tbh. I don't know how you made it this far in life if you don't know that.

You should have some cop on. Maybe she stayed somewhere else the night before. You presumed she came from her home, 5 minutes away. You don't know that.

No matter the reason, she was late. As an employer, the reason is none of your damned business. Got a problem with her being late, tell her. Fair play to her for a curt answer delivered.

How would I note that exactly, you didn't mention that in your post, you just said she lived nearby and was 10 minutes late on one particular occasion.

Was it really worth your time (or hers) to enquire why some one was late by ten minutes? If it is so important to get in by an arbitrary time, why waste that time?

What if she had used softer language? Mr Everlast, I apologise, but we are talking ten minutes, I got delayed, it was outside of my control. Are you asking out of some sort of concern for my personal well being or do you just enjoy watching me squirm and wanted me to know you had noticed?

In a professional workplace respect goes both ways.

she was late. As an employer, the reason is none of your damned business

So if an employee is late (again), you don't get that I'm entitled to an apology and an explanation????

Or are you suggesting that I shouldn't enquire - but rather
    a) ignore it
    b) issue a warning?

This whole thread is about silly reasons for being late for work. I posted what I believed to be a silly reason. You seem to have taken umbrage, **** knows why.

Anyhoo, there's no point in trying to convince you. Way to bring a thread down...

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy..

This thread was fairly light-hearted until you turned it into an Employee Tribunal matter.

I'm fairly sure everyone else here is bored to tears with this exchange, so if you have a problem can we take it to PM?

Alternatively, we can both agree that we think the other is talking ****** and leave it at that? Its up to you.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

So if an employee is late (again), you don't get that I'm entitled to an apology and an explanation????

Or are you suggesting that I shouldn't enquire - but rather
    a) ignore it
    b) issue a warning?

This whole thread is about silly reasons for being late for work. I posted what I believed to be a silly reason. You seem to have taken umbrage, **** knows why.

Anyhoo, there's no point in trying to convince you. Way to bring a thread down...

You're not entitled to an explanation. You might feel like she should apologise but my many years experience in managing teams means I'd rather they just weren't late again. The apology is worthless. They're either remorseful and show it through action, it was out of their control so shouldn't apologise anyway or they don't care. It's one of the three. Only your ego benefits from an apology.

Why have I been late? Somebody on the Internet was wrong and I spent too much time trying to fix them. The broken arsed bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

anncoates wrote: »
    It actually does happen. I bumped into an ex years ago and was chatting to her on the street and it happened to her there and then.

Oh god, this is just too perfect, all you needed then was for your new hotter, thinner, blonder, buxomier (sp), bubbly new girlfriend to walk up and be like "Oh hey, fancy you meeting you guys here". :pac:

• Advertisement

Why the need for the strictness, so what if they are 10 mins late, they might be 10 mins early another day or wait longer another time. It all balances out imo just some places are anal about it and other don't care once the work is done.

I might feck off at lunch on a Fiday and not come back (and tell no one) but another time I'll be in on a saturday for a few hours when something is needed to be done.

Advertisement