Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone listen to Classical Music?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Love a bit of classical. Lyric is a great station. Love a bit of opera too.
    strobe wrote: »
    Some unreal modern classical music being written for computer games and TV shows these days.
    I often throw on the Skyrim soundtrack in work. There's some beautiful music in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh yes, I like a shot of classical. From the heavy, Teutonic Wagner and Beethoven to the likes of Strauss, Vivaldi, Schopin and certain operatic tunes such as the Flower Duet from Lakmé. Lyric FM is on Button #3 in the car. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MrPudding wrote: »
    There is an album called 'So you think you don't like classical music'. It is a bit of a 'now that's what I call music' for classical, but there are some really nice tracks and I found it really useful for tracking down more to listen to. It is on Spotify.

MrP

There's a great one for opera called Duck! It's Opera!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Lyric FM is a fantastic use of our licence fee OP, it's button 1 on my car stereo.

some cinemas like Cineworld show classic symphony's and ballets , and don't forget to smuggle in the wine ;-)

http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/andre-rieus-2015-maastricht-concert?cinema=dublin&date=all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Some games music from Civilisation IV

John Williams is the man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

If Tchaikovskys 1812 overture doesn't get you pumped nothing will.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Vivaldi- Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

nokia69 wrote: »
    yes, I love it

no better music

you're not a fan of music unless you like classical

Not true, that's just snobbery, to be fair. That's not to say I don't like classical music.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, I love it and wish I knew more about it.

Youngsters may knock it but without these guys modern day music would not exist.

Also not true at all (well it's impossible to say definitively because it happened how it happened), this ignores the multitudes of other musical traditions that exist. Lots of modern day music has far more to do with folk music, blues, and jazz than with classical. These are all pretty far removed from clasical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes.

Classical has within it the most beautiful music ever made.

Need to go get more into It.. I have a collection of songs I love and listen to half regularly but should be more active. Tempest sonanta third movement would propably be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A great tune is a great tune, no matter what the genre!

So simple but so beautiful .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Every day, I work in the NCH

https://www.nch.ie/Online/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Lyric is my fav. radio station during the day.

No bull**** talk, no moaning, just music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mascagni, Cavallria Rusticana.

Blows me away every time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I do, I particularly like Mussorgsky and Mendelsohn, but then also have a weakness for Mozart and Beethoven.

I have to say that every time I tried listening to Lyric FM, I turned it off in disgust. You'd listen to a nice bit of Sibelius, only for it to be directly followed by some Frank Sinatara? I've no problem with a station playing both, but wouldn't it be better to have dedicated shows for each?

My station of choice at the moment is BBC Radio 3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Blowfish wrote: »
    Indeed, and the proof of it in relation to the above in particular:

Not really. Different progressions.

The Canon is a ground bass, a series of variations built on a repetition of a I-V-vi-iii-IV-I-IV-V progression.

The Axis is a clever demonstration of the prevelance of the I-V-vi-IV progression, an elaboration of the 'three chord trick', in popular music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Wagner or Sibellius for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Im a Rachmaninov fan.. plus Wagner and Debussy

Some performance. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Classical musician so yea
    It's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I love symphonic movie scores. They're mostly the genre of classical music I would listen to.

I've listened to classical classical music, enjoy it but not as much as the movie scores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

valoren wrote: »
    I love symphonic movie scores. They're mostly the genre of classical music I would listen to.
    You'd like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

For anyone who did music in the leaving cert in the past fifteen or so years. You never forget this one, for better or for worse.

Around 1:11 is where it really comes into its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Ok so maybe somewhat tenuous link given your job OP, but an amazing piece of music anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

For anyone who did music in the leaving cert in the past fifteen or so years. You never forget this one, for better or for worse.

Around 1:11 is where it really comes into its own.

I teach that. It never comes into its own.

There's some serious 'Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome going on in modern classical music.

The move from the Conservatoire to the University in the early part of the last century was not a good one for composition. Music departments are full of young composers, writing music to pass exams and impress other composition students with the cleverness of it all...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I listen to it on my drive home after work. It's a wonderful way to relax and unwind after a long day in the office. The only exception to this is when I tune in to the George Hook show on Tunein on a Friday.

I think Brave New World is an extraordinary piece of music. I'm also a fan of The Planets by Holst. Many of you will best know Jupiter as it's the piece of music used by the IRB and at the start of rugby shows.

The Osaka Philharmonic do a wonderful rendition. It's on YouTube. Such passion and professionalism. It's a repeat watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Music is music, whether it's classical or black metal or whatever, as long as I like I won't let constrain myself based on genre.

Some of my favourite classical music is spanish and based around the guitar. The concerto de Aranjuaz by Rodrigo is beautiful, especially the adagio (the middle bit in this video)

And a rather more obscure but still beautiful piece composed by Salvador Bacarisse

Advertisement