Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone listen to Classical Music?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I would say most of our AH members would consider 80s music to be classical....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I would say most of our AH members would consider 80s music to be classical....:pac:

That reminds me of a quote from a Channel 4 program about the Top 10 synth groups of the 80's.."There are classically trained pianists reduced to playing wine bars in Dulwich while Gary Numan gets to the top of the charts by playing a synthisizer with one finger" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

endacl wrote: »
    I teach that. It never comes into its own.

There's some serious 'Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome going on in modern classical music.

The move from the Conservatoire to the University in the early part of the last century was not a good one for composition. Music departments are full of young composers, writing music to pass exams and impress other composition students with the cleverness of it all...

:(

I work as a composition lecturer at 3rd level and I must say that is a pretty generalised comment. Just because you don't like the Barry doesn't mean it's not worthwhile, like all art it is subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I have heard of metal being described as the classical of our time (very heavily influenced by classical too), you have to remember that classical music had a relatively small audience in the late 2nd millenium and rarely got airtime beyond the elites of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pconn062 wrote: »
    I work as a composition lecturer at 3rd level and I must say that is a pretty generalised comment. Just because you don't like the Barry doesn't mean it's not worthwhile, like all art it is subjective.
    Well, that was my subjective experience of most (but by no means all) modern composition during my own time at third level, of most (but by no means all) modern music that I actively listen to, and is a position shared by most (but by no means all) of my colleagues, both musical and educational, and of my friends and acquaintances who support new music in both live and recorded forms

Of course it was a generalized comment. I was speaking 'generally'. That is its use. Generally speaking, most of it falls short of its intent, in the rare cases where intent can be discerned. It is not 'successful', in that sense. Even to an audience of one. I'm not suggesting it should be popular. Just coherent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Well, that was my subjective experience of most (but by no means all) modern composition during my own time at third level, of most (but by no means all) modern music that I actively listen to, and is a position shared by most (but by no means all) of my colleagues, both musical and educational, and of my friends and acquaintances who support new music in both live and recorded forms
    Universities have little relevance to contemporary music, they only teach what's already happened, usually decades after. Most good music trends happen by accident and the originators are long forgotten. Many of the pioneering American minimalist composers from the 1960s died young. Classical music incorporates what's being done already from other music forms. Music students from universities are followers and do nothing of worth in the long term. They can't rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Tchaikovsky's probably best known for the Nutcracker, Swan Lake etc. but this is my favourite one of all of his works. Incredible opening; made me jump the first time I heard it live :D

Of course it was a generalized comment. I was speaking 'generally'. That is its use. Generally speaking, most of it falls short of its intent, in the rare cases where intent can be discerned. It is not 'successful', in that sense. Even to an audience of one. I'm not suggesting it should be popular. Just coherent.

Personally speaking, I think there is clear intent in the work (and in all of Barry's work). If you have ever spoke with Barry about his music (which I have), he is meticulous on the planning and construction of his compositions. There is clear linear form when there needs to be and incoherence when he wishes there to be. Coherence is not a requirement in music, and Barry writes music the way he wants it to be, not how people think it should be.

Anyway, getting slightly off topic here. :)

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Universities have little relevance to contemporary music, they only teach what's already happened, usually decades after. Most good music trends happen by accident and the originators are long forgotten. Many of the pioneering American minimalist composers from the 1960s died young. Classical music incorporates what's being done already from other music forms. Music students from universities are followers and do nothing of worth in the long term. They can't rock the boat.

No offense, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Most if not all University courses in Ireland cover an extensive amount of material on contemporary music. As for your comment about music students in Universities studying composition, you seem to have a bit of an axe to grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I work in construction.
    A few years back I was working on Cork airport new terminal and was sat in the van alone on my lunch break.
    I regularly used to tune in to the lyrics channel when I got the chance ( not telling the lads of course ).

Anyway, that day, on came a piece played by my favourite ' classical ' musician, Nigel Kennedy and it was called ' Lark Ascending '. It was the most beautiful moment I had listening to a classical song, made all the better in my van, watching the planes take off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

kylith wrote: »
    Love a bit of classical. Lyric is a great station.
    Meh. Not really. Used to be. Shameless shambles now.

Lyric

No bull**** talk, no moaning, just music.

WTF ??!??!?!?? :confused:

Personally speaking, I think there is clear intent in the work (and in all of Barry's work). If you have ever spoke with Barry about his music (which I have), he is meticulous on the planning and construction of his compositions. There is clear linear form when there needs to be and incoherence when he wishes there to be. Coherence is not a requirement in music, and Barry writes music the way he wants it to be, not how people think it should be.

Anyway, getting slightly off topic here. :)

I Had the same conversation with him at a wedding on New Year's Eve. May or may not have come to the same conclusions. Quite drunk....

I Had the same conversation with him at a wedding on New Year's Eve. May or may not have come to the same conclusions. Quite drunk....

If I've learned anything over the years it's that there is no point debating over music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I could pass into the next world listening to this

Composed by an Irishman

If I've learned anything over the years it's that there is no point debating over music. :)

I disagree. :pac:

Yes. Subjective in terms of how much enjoyment it gives you. But objectivity does not excuse the emperor's new clothes weakness in modern classical music. Lots of people enjoy Westlife's music from their perspective. That still doesnt mean its any good though.

Yes. Subjective in terms of how much enjoyment it gives you. But objectivity does not excuse the emperor's new clothes weakness in modern classical music. Lots of people enjoy Westlife's music from their perspective. That still doesnt mean its any good though.

As I said, no point debating it. Each to their own, give me Stockhausen over Verdi any day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I think Brave New World is an extraordinary piece of music.

Yep probably my favourite Iron Maiden album alright and a fantastic return to form after a few lacklustre efforts :D

I wouldn't be a huge classical fan but like most styles of music there are bits and pieces I really enjoy. Every genre has some real gems to offer, it's all about sorting the wheat from the chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I first heard this late at night on radio 4. I'm a non believer but this would get me to church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Why this isn't played at every Irish christening I'll never know! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

The Flower Duet - Leo Delibes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Anyone interested in exploring classical music a bit should check out Howard Goodall's 'The Story of Music'

(episode one here, the other five linked to from there).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Y6NPahlDE

I won't pretend I listen to lots of classical, but this did introduce me to and help me to appreciate a fair few pieces, and put them in context.

The series takes you through the different eras and major composers and explains what their innovations were and how music was evolving alongside technology, eg. the harpsichord (which only allows one uniform level of sound for a note) gives way to the piano which allows dynamics and expression (and suddenly composers have a whole different palette to work with).

If you don't want to watch all 6hrs, try some of the later episodes where the music will be more familiar. The last one takes it up to modern music including the Beatles, Stevie Wonder and, er, Coldplay.

Goodall is a composer himself and wrote Blackadder theme btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I work in construction.
    A few years back I was working on Cork airport new terminal and was sat in the van alone on my lunch break.
    I regularly used to tune in to the lyrics channel when I got the chance ( not telling the lads of course ).

Anyway, that day, on came a piece played by my favourite ' classical ' musician, Nigel Kennedy and it was called ' Lark Ascending '. It was the most beautiful moment I had listening to a classical song, made all the better in my van, watching the planes take off.

just played it there for the first time

what a sublime piece of music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHqWVDPoUrE

thank you for this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

No offense, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Most if not all University courses in Ireland cover an extensive amount of material on contemporary music. As for your comment about music students in Universities studying composition, you seem to have a bit of an axe to grind.
    Classical music incorporates other music be it jazz, folk, minimalism. Others do the groundwork and get forgotten. That guy off Grafton St playing the spoons has more talent than most of these middle-class music students in Irish universities doing everything 'right'. The best composers work outside the box, challenge what's gone before, and don't have letters after their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Classical music incorporates other music be it jazz, folk, minimalism.
    It doesnt really though does it ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music
    That guy off Grafton St playing the spoons has more talent than most of these middle-class music students in Irish universities doing everything 'right'. The best composers work outside the box, challenge what's gone before, and don't have letters after their name.

Dont know if the greats of classical music had letters after their names at all, so dont see the relevance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Beautiful piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Everything is just better and epic or more sophisticated if you're a villain with classical :pac:

One of my favourite pieces of music

Which Hans Zimmer did a good job with for The Lone Ranger

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Everything is just better and epic or more sophisticated if you're a villain with classical :pac:

And even better and more epicer if you have at least some (better though if unrestrained) anti-semitism in you, like the idea that some races are superior and have a greater capacity for love than others, and will overcome those lower level beings who are in thrall to power and wealth, in a great cataclysm, leading to a purer and better world.

Advertisement