Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terence Flanagan interview on Drivetime

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Couple of observations:

Yes it was a car crash interview. Yes he should have been better prepared. No I wouldn't vote for him, after that. In fact, he probably shouldn't be a TD. But I hope he has recovered on a personal level. He seems like a shy man, I hope it doesn't overwhelm him.

And also, Mary Wilson just went up even further in my estimation. I don;t get why some people dislike her style. She could not have handled that better. She wasn't glossing over Flanagan's failure, but she wasn't going to kick him when he was down either. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

conorh91 wrote: »
    Couple of observations:

Yes it was a car crash interview. Yes he should have been better prepared. No I wouldn't vote for him, after that. In fact, he probably shouldn't be a TD. But I hope he has recovered on a personal level. He seems like a shy man, I hope it doesn't overwhelm him.

And also, Mary Wilson just went up even further in my estimation. I don;t get why some people dislike her style. She could not have handled that better. She wasn't glossing over Flanagan's failure, but she wasn't going to kick him when he was down either. Fair play to her.

Agree with this assessment.

Feel sorry for the guy as he has been embarrassed nationally. He must be mortified/potentially very depressed at the moment. This could have massive ramifications on his career and his party leaders must be livid with him. So on a personal note, anyone with a bit of compassion is going to feel something for him here.

However, he was completely exposed as not having a clue what his party stands for. He should have been prepared. His party should have been prepared before launching. They have been exposed as basically a lot of hot air and buzz words. "Openness", "compassion" - these are not words that the voter needs to hear, we need clear policy. What you're going to do and how you're going to do it.

The guy should clearly not be in politics and his party clearly has no clear policies at this point and should be ignored in the upcoming election.

The interviewer handled it perfectly imo - she kept trying to lead him into questions he may have been able to answer. She gave hime a chance. She cut it off when it became absolutely apparent that this guy had lost it. It was not her fault he didn't have a clue and I would say she handled it very well and struck a middle ground between performing her job and asking the right questions and having some human compassion for a man clearly out of his depth. I do understand the point made above that she should have hammered his incompetence home, but I believe there was no real need to. The damage was already done and a bit of compassion needs to come into it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

lucky john wrote: »
    One of the most bizarre interviews I've heard on radio. This guy is a professional politician. Surley been able to think and talk is the minimum qualifications we should expect. Barring a health reason there is no excuse.

At the same time? Ah heyor!

Hilarious interview and I'm delighted for Ireland's Tea Party. RENUA have modelled themselves on the Titanic. They should have the Titanic or the Hindenburg as their party logo. :pac:

QuadLeo wrote: »
    Completely disagree. There was no need to "go for the jugular". The damage was done and he dug his own grave. There was no need for Mary to attack him. That would've been completely unfair. The man had a bit of an anxiety attack or whatever, these things happen. Although it was very unfortunate. If Mary stuck the boot in and took advantage it wouldn't have made any difference, except that it would reflect very badly on the presenter and we'd now be here talking about how unfair the interview was. It couldn't be any worse for the new party, there was no need for the presenter to do anything. I think Mary was right to put him out of his misery and end the interview early. To call her weak is not fair. Sometimes a bit of compassion is needed. Don't get me wrong, Terrance made a mess of it, but he knows that better than anyone. No need to kick a man when he's down.

She wasn't interviewing a primary school pupil. He's a 40 year old politician and a questionable one at that.
    [Terence Flanagan] a parliamentary question to ask if the Department of Social Protection cuts the dole of people protesting against the government and specifically those involved in recent demonstrations against the installation of water meters.

Going after people with no disposable income, living on the margins of society?

Aww poor Terence. (the 90K salary and benefits will be of some comfort)

I've tried to sum up Terence's take on what Renua are all about.

WUdual9.jpg

• Advertisement

Taken from reddit:
    First time rte have broadcast a blowjob. A brave new world.

It's debatable. The rustling of magazines leads me to suspect that he might have been 'flying solo' with the help of some adult 'literature'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

brettmirl wrote: »

So Terence spent thousands of hours setting up the party? ;)

I feel for him, and this brings back unpleasant memories for me.

I had a similar brain freeze. Not on the national airwaves, but speaking at a conference in front of a couple of hundred.

First world problems and all that, but the experience was deeply traumatic for me and shook me for at least a couple of months afterwards. No excuses about tiredness or anything; it was nerves pure and simple.

Since then, I've learnt that preparation is the key. That, and beta blockers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

As Ryan Tubridy said he is playing senior hurling now and he can get off the pitch if he can't perform.

On a personal level you would to feel sorry for him but, on the other hand, he jumped ship from FG when things were starting to look bad for them after getting in on the crest of last election's wave.

I thought that Hobbs was pretty pathetic and a bit narky on the LLS also. lucinda ok but it can't be a one man band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I feel for him, and this brings back unpleasant memories for me.

I had a similar brain freeze. Not on the national airwaves, but speaking at a conference in front of a couple of hundred.

First world problems and all that, but the experience was deeply traumatic for me and shook me for at least a couple of months afterwards. No excuses about tiredness or anything; it was nerves pure and simple.

Since then, I've learnt that preparation is the key. That, and beta blockers :o

I agree, 3 key points making a presentation like that.

Preparation, preparation, preparation.

Advertisement