Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 252 longwave

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A regular (?) 2 second drop out pattern today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Albert X

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Given that so few cars have long wave on their radios these days, I've always puzzled as to why RTE ever closed 567 kHz in favour of 252khz.

The decision never made sense to me.

There was no point broadcasting the same output on both mw and Lw, The Lw signal is a lot more robust than mw, Radios with Lw are widely available costing as little as €10, The Mw transmitter at tullamore dates from the early/mid 70s and was at end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Groucho100

On a good day on the East Coast of the US you can pick up RTE 252.

Wow that's a good trip. Anyone know why they never used LW in the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Albert X wrote: »
    There was no point broadcasting the same output on both mw and Lw, The Lw signal is a lot more robust than mw, Radios with Lw are widely available costing as little as €10, The Mw transmitter at tullamore dates from the early/mid 70s and was at end of life.

I thought the MW installation was completely refurbished a few years prior to closure ??
    Btw there are many mid70s TXs still operating around the world - new transmitters tend to be more efficient - the 252LW install has a 'newer' transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Infoanon wrote: »
    I thought the MW installation was completely refurbished a few years prior to closure ??
    Btw there are many mid70s TXs still operating around the world - new transmitters tend to be more efficient - the 252LW install has a 'newer' transmitter

I would presume transmitters from the mid 70's are all solid state so no problems with unobtainable valves (as in the case of Droitwich) ?

252 kHz would have more problems at night than 567 kHz due to the reduced power and interference from Algeria. Even at this location (Jordanstown Co. Antrim) it can be a problem.

Apart from a weak Russian station, there are no such issues with 567khz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I would presume transmitters from the mid 70's are all solid state so no problems with unobtainable valves (as in the case of Droitwich) ?
    hz.

Solid state high power rigs only really started to appear in the late 1980's IIRC

The mast was refurbished a few years prior to closure but the transmitters themselves date from around 1975 The 567 channel used to be used by a station in Berlin also.

On a good day on the East Coast of the US you can pick up RTE 252.

252 KHz being received Michigan USA on a Perseus SDR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Pp2FZN9es

Mind you, a 500ft beverage would pull in anything at that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Did Finland ever do anything with their 1500kW allocation at 252 KHz ?

252 kHz would have more problems at night than 567 kHz due to the reduced power and interference from Algeria. Even at this location (Jordanstown Co. Antrim) it can be a problem.

Apart from a weak Russian station, there are no such issues with 567khz.

I think the Droitwich story is bull TBH. The TX consists of two 250kW Marconi units and was only installed in 1985.

The Continental 317C rig at Athlone which carried Radio 2/2FM isn't solid state and that's from the late 70s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

252 KHz being received Michigan USA on a Perseus SDR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Pp2FZN9es

Thats lovely, thanks.:)

Would that be on a low power setting?

I think the Droitwich story is bull TBH

Well, that's what was widely reported in the press a while back i.e. the transmitter only had a finite life due to the fact they were no longer making the appropriate valves.

There were a few left apparently, but these would only last for a certain number of years.

I assume the Scottish long wave as well the other MW transmitters (including NI) are all OK ?

I think this is all part of the plan to shut down AM broadcasting in the UK at some stage ?

Well, that's what was widely reported in the press a while back i.e. the transmitter only had a finite life due to the fact they were no longer making the appropriate valves.

There were a few left apparently, but these would only last for a certain number of years.

I assume the Scottish long wave as well the other MW transmitters (including NI) are all OK ?

I think this is all part of the plan to shut down AM broadcasting in the UK at some stage ?

Oh I know, don't get me wrong, wasn't accusing you of lying. :) I just don't believe the story because it makes out like the TX is a relic from the 1940s or something.

Greenman wrote: »
    Thats lovely, thanks.:)

Would that be on a low power setting?

Yes, I would imagine so

Before the Elton John Song the presenter wishes everyone a goodnight and the news reader states the time is 2 O'clock, which must be 2 am, in which case the power is 100kw.

Karsini wrote: »
    Oh I know, don't get me wrong, wasn't accusing you of lying. :) I just don't believe the story because it makes out like the TX is a relic from the 1940s or something.

Yes, that was exactly what they were implying from what I could make of it.

It sounded as if they were trying to make excuses to shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

I was in the north of Spain in May and RTE on 252LW was blasting in on a pll radio that I got in Aldi ! I was also in Lisbon Portugal and it was much weaker there, signal was best after sunset till around 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

Infoanon wrote: »
    The mw rig at Tullamore was costing 1million per year to run. Summerhill is costing 300k ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

Any news on the survey that the Department of Foreign Affairs were going to pay for to find out how many listerners it has in the uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Advertisement