Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 252 longwave

Options
  • 25-03-2011 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

How many listeners does the RTE LW service have ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 JDunphy

About 3 fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

is this ' i listen to atlantic radio 252 now give me my money' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

I listen to 252 LW when down in Kerry and Cork in the mountain areas where Fm is poor, also in parts of north Donegal, in parts of Ireland is difficult to get a good Fm signal and LW is the only option available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

On a good day on the East Coast of the US you can pick up RTE 252.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

i tune in every now and again, for authentic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Loads of ex pats and truckers listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I remember when this was a pirate frequency - far better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well thats what happens when pat kenny buys ya out .

:D

i used to listen to atlantic 252 alot years ago, but TBH im not even sure if any of my radios can recieve LW anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 JDunphy

ads20101 wrote: »
    I remember when this was a pirate frequency - far better!!!

LOL @ "pirate frequency" It was always an RTE licence and Frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Listened to it on Tuesday in the car in Cambridgeshire.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have listened to occasional sports coverage on it, but my new car radio is brutal for LW and my van radio doesn't pick it up at all

The electrics in modern cars are positively hostile to AM signals of any length due to poor shielding and modern built in antenna (bring back the proper pull up aerials that poke out of the rear three-quarter panel!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

mike65 wrote: »
    The electrics in modern cars are positively hostile to AM signals of any length due to poor shielding and modern built in antenna (bring back the proper pull up aerials that poke out of the rear three-quarter panel!)

I was a regular listener to Radio 4 in the old days. I considered Sue McGregor and Peter Hobday as personal friends. I knew the everyday story of country folk (The Archers) inside out.
    All that disappeared with successive cars that gradually leeched out the LW signal until it just became a howling mess.My current car has no LW at all.

Maybe my next car will have 4g capability and I'll be back to R4 again?

Its a reason to get a "modern classic" (that and cheap tax) from 30 years go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Do you remember when it was a sports radio station?? They used to broadcast matches from a pub!!! Think it lasted 6 months !!

I do, they were on air during the 2002 World Cup, commentary off the telly screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

cml387 wrote: »
    Maybe my next car will have 4g capability and I'll be back to R4 again?

Smartphone + Aux In + TuneIn Radio App

The above is what I do as well :-) . Add some VPN sauce for sports rights problems and your sorted !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Albert X

I listened to Joe Duffy on it at the beach last week, 18 years ago I would have been at the same beach listening to the big tunes of summer 95 on it.

the Atlantic 252 tribute stream online is very good, plays the music from the 252 years with the proper jingles, its as good as you can get now!

would be nice though if the added some recordings of when it was live.

http://www.atlantic252tribute.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Podgers wrote: »
    the Atlantic 252 tribute stream online is very good, plays the music from the 252 years with the proper jingles, its as good as you can get now!

would be nice though if the added some recordings of when it was live.

http://www.atlantic252tribute.co.uk/
    Nice stream. It sounds miles better that the original.

Back in the day I had a vehicle which had an LW band. The reception was patchy to say the least. The diesel engine was no problem but windscreen wipers, electric windows etc all wanted to play along. I always knew when I was near an ESB substation or transmission line. I think there is good reason behind the lack of LW bands on more modern vehicles.

All of which begs the question. Who is still listening to LW?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Was on holiday in south England for the past week and lw252 was heavily listened to I can admit.
    Last Saturday evening was coasting around London on the m25 with reports of the Cavan game finishing up and then the hurling commentary on Kilkenny Waterford which was a cracker of a game.
    This morning listening to pat Kenny when pottering about the Cotswolds!
    Reception was surprisingly good and only under bridges and tree lines roads would the signal go altogether.
    Even in north Belgium it's a good signal so irish truckers and tourists on the road there could use it, as well as the very large Irish community in Belgium which is probably the largest cluster of irish in a non English speaking country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I listen everyday in my truck but only when stopped and faraway if possible from other trucks and trailers with a GPS tracker. At the moment no Algeria in the background.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Parts of NI dont get RTEs Fm signals having said that most people here dont seem to realise RtE radio can be recieved at all
    JDunphy wrote: »
    LOL @ "pirate frequency" It was always an RTE licence and Frequency.

Nova (the original) had a short lived experimental service back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Given that so few cars have long wave on their radios these days, I've always puzzled as to why RTE ever closed 567 kHz in favour of 252khz.

The decision never made sense to me.

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Given that so few cars have long wave on their radios these days, I've always puzzled as to why RTE ever closed 567 kHz in favour of 252khz.

The decision never made sense to me.

I agree, i guess their view of it is that it would reach further for the ex-pats in the UK etc. i say it won't belong and they will have it closed down completely the way things are going with AM

Did anyone ever tune into the DRM trials on 252? i got a DRM tuner but arrived a bit too late. i have received BBC-Deutsche Welle DRM time to time and the audio quality has been good.

Personally i think DRM is the only way i can see it survive, 252 or similar stations in this part of the world

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DRM has had an extremely long time to try and build some form of market share and there's still only a handful of radios that support it despite the silicon cost being tiny for any other digital radio maker to include it. I think its safe to say its dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

DRM was always going to have an uphill struggle with broadcasters/governments commited to spend millions promoting inferior plattforms.

My two month old Kenwood car radio has LW. If people are prepared to buy rubbish radios and then blame RTE for not being recievable on them then its their own fault really.

Advertisement