Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Nice action flick and was very enjoyable, but I think that 90% rating on rottentomatoes is a bit much really

Also thought it was ruined a bit by the "Happy Hollywood ending" becasue us dumb audiences don't have enough imagination to decide for ourselves what happens and we need to be happy leaving :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It does seem to be rated awfully high for what it is. I would say it's on par with Oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Nice action flick and was very enjoyable, but I think that 90% rating on rottentomatoes is a bit much really
    That only means that 90% of people at the very least liked it though. The average rating is only 7.4 which I think is kinda spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,140 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

on the first beach invasion, Blunts character
    bats away a projectile with her shield, i think she does it again the next time round - but then Cruise's character upsets the order of things and Blunts character still tries to bat away a projectile, and looks surprised when the projectile never arrives.

I think there are a few other times in the movie where Blunts character seems to have prior knowledge of what is going to happen - the speed at which she picks things up from Cruise as to what is going to happen etc... wonder if an original shoot of the movie had her also replaying the day (rather than having lost that power).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Went to see this last night

Highly enjoyable, ticks along at a decent pace for the most part, a little flat towards the end and I am still trying to figure out if I can make sense of the ending

Groundhog Day with Guns isn't an inaccurate description

Cruise and Blunt are both good in this

I thought more 50 First Dates meets Saving Private Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I liked it a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It does seem to be rated awfully high for what it is. I would say it's on par with Oblivion.

This is much better than Oblivion. Good film but the ending was stupid??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I like the idea that the alien invaders could see the future and thats why they were winning the war but the 50 first dates/groundhog day was only saved by the humor and the kill the queen/omega to destroy the drones was by the numbers stuff much like Oblivion turned out to be.

Still it was good entertainment all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pretty much have to echo what nearly everyone else said, great first two acts, gets a bit generic in the third. I did like how for once Cruise plays someone spineless, he's a PR agent thrown into a D-Day scenario. Blunt was good in it too and it's nice to see a woman take the badass teacher role to the A list star instead of the reverse like we usually get.

The mech suits were cool too and it had some great effects on the aliens and the battle sequence. I had to see this in 3D as it was the only way it was showing in the IMAX near me but it was pointless 3D, totally forgot about it after a few mins nothing of note happened in it to utilise the format. The trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy that ran before it looked cooler in 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

As a fan of the original novel (which is basically completely different), the only criticism I can have of this film is changing the title from the ultra cool 'All You Need is Kill'.
    Apart from that this was one of the most enjoyable films to watch I've seen in years. As I sci-fi action flick I thought it was pretty much flawless.
    Loved the 'Aliens' references... especially the flares being lit in the dam.
    Loved that a serious film director - Doug Liman - would take on a sci-fi like this and deliver it with such care in the same fashion Guillermo did with Pacific Rim.
    The future of sci-fi is looking bright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what was the ending in the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Giruilla wrote: »
    Loved that a serious film director - Doug Liman - would take on a sci-fi like this and deliver it with such care in the same fashion Guillermo did with Pacific Rim.

This might be the first time I've seen Doug Liman described as a serious film director.

This might be the first time I've seen Doug Liman described as a serious film director.

He proved himself with Swingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I wasn't saying that he wasn't a competent director, he did direct the original Bourne film after all. He has directed sci-fi before in Jumper and action in Mr & Mrs Smith so I wouldn't have thought it strange that he would take on a film like Edge of Tomorrow.

I wasn't saying that he wasn't a competent director, he did direct the original Bourne film after all. He has directed sci-fi before in Jumper and action in Mr & Mrs Smith so I wouldn't have thought it strange that he would take on a film like Edge of Tomorrow.

I was genuinely surprised to see his name on the bill. I know Jumper was a slight delve into sci fi, but the cgi was minimal and it was very character centric. I just think its a great that a director who's previously done Swingers and Go could be given and would want to do such a cgi heavy movie.
    I meant serious as in 'proper/capable'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I wasnt too sure about this one but after watching it I can say it was very good. Yes the ending was by the numbers but it wasnt enough to ruin the enjoyment of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Utterly sick to death of the plot device that is
    kill the end game boss and all the other enemies drop dead cos they're all linked
    . Just stop it Hollywood.

that's a nice hobby but what has that got to do with his films?

Just out of this and I really enjoyed it, it's a summer blockbuster that strives to be something different and that it largely succeeds is something that should be celebrated. I can't remember the last time we had a summer blockbuster that relied on storytelling above all else.

Not going to go into too much detail as I have Devil's Knot ready to go on Netflix but I have noticed that a lot of people seem to have trouble with the ending and say it makes no sense. From how I read it
    the reason he wakes up earlier than throughout the rest of the film is that the sequence of events which seen him first kill the Alpha now no longer take place and as he gets bled on earlier he now wakes up at the start of that day and not the one that follows.

As for why when he wakes up and the Uber Alpha doesn't, well I'm assuming that he stole the power and without when the day resets the Alpha no longer is able to reset.

I also got the impression that he retained his power even after the transfusion, how else did he know so much about the rest of the squad, especially when you consider that the it includes some rather illegal and embarrassing information.
    It's not perfect and I imagine that I may be completely wrong but it's how I read the end of the film.

There is still a number of issues,
    why does Brighma keep the tracking device in safe? If he thought that it was as useless as were led to believe he thinks then why protect it.

I'm also trying to figure out why Brigham send Cage into battle as I would assume that he's a combat veteran and would realise that sending Cage in as punishment would most likely result in Cage getting other people killed. And surely giving him the exco suit would be a waste of million dollar machinery. Also, how did no one recognise him? It seems that he's all over the media and has been for some while yet not one person on base or outside so much as gives him a second glance.

I'm assuming that when the film hits Blu-Ray we will see an extended cut as Jeremy Piven was nowhere to be seen in the film yet did shoot a number of scenes and gets a credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I heard about the day resetting a day earlier was because he died a day earlier.
    That brings up a new issue.

His last day was some jam packed day.

He woke up on the base, had to find Blunt, drive / fly to London, get into the generals office, talk with him, get chased, caught, knocked unconscious, have a blood transfusion, escape, get back to the base, convince his squad he's a time traveller, steal a plane, fly to Paris, battle with the aliens, get into the Louvre and kill the alien mom and die.

• Advertisement

timetogo wrote: »
    I heard about the day resetting a day earlier was because he died a day earlier.
    That brings up a new issue.

His last day was some jam packed day.

He woke up on the base, had to find Blunt, drive / fly to London, get into the generals office, talk with him, get chased, caught, knocked unconscious, have a blood transfusion, escape, get back to the base, convince his squad he's a time traveller, steal a plane, fly to Paris, battle with the aliens, get into the Louvre and kill the alien mom and die.

Not really an issue, sure it's a little bit of a packed day but it's harly all that much of an issue.
    The reason he wakes up a day earlier isn't because he died a day earlier, throughout the film Emily Blunt's character repeatedly kills him the day before the beach landing and it resets.The reason why he wakes up a day earlier at the end is because the beach invasion never took place and he was coated in the mimics blood earlier on meaning that when the day reset it would reset to whenever he last woke up.

As for why his final day was no longer so action packed, well it would seem that the Alpha Mimic exists outside of our understanding of time meaning that when time resets for Cage and the rest the Mimic is no longer alive because it exists outside the new time loop. It would appear that when time reset that final time it closed off the loop in which the Alpha existed. It would explain why J squad, Cage and Vrataski are all alive but the mimics no more.

When you think of it that way the ending makes sense, Cage is no longer branded a deserter, never meets the general and never comes into close proximity with battle of any kind. Time reset to the point where the film began.

Now that does leave one important question, is Cage still able to reset time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭pah

.The reason why he wakes up a day earlier at the end is because the beach invasion never took place and he was coated in the mimics blood earlier on meaning that when the day reset it would reset to whenever he last woke up.

This makes. absolutely. no. sense.

I saw this on Thursday - have always been a sucker for those Groundhog Day-type scenarios (Supernatural did a wonderful episode like it before!) so it was right up my street.

As mentioned previously, it was so good to see Cruise play someone who isn't this uber-soldier, like he has been in his last movie roles. Sure he eventually morphs into one (not a spoiler - look at the trailer and watch what he does!) but you can really see the progression from one to the other.

pah wrote: »
    This makes. absolutely. no. sense.

Should be
    reset to whenever her last woke up but a day earlier.The reset seems to jump back a day but is set in a time, meaning that were he to die four days later then he would still reset to waking up on the base. It does raise the question if when he dies, 20 years from now will he wake up back on the helicopter over London.

I saw this on Thursday - have always been a sucker for those Groundhog Day-type scenarios (Supernatural did a wonderful episode like it before!) so it was right up my street.

did you ever see the film that came out around the same time as Groundhog Day called 12:01?
    low budget but very good sci-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm a small bit disappointed they didn't stick closer to the book, because I thought the ending in that was quite good. I really did enjoy the first 2/3 of the movie,
    but the final third descended into a "tick the box" Hollywood ending - a car chase, a romance, a location Americans might recognise, a single baddie that the hero can defeat, a happy ending.

I thought I got my moneys worth. I wouldn't rank it as a classic Sci-fi action movie by any means however, but at least it had some proper hard edges to it unlike something like Pacific Rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

notice their walking exposition reshoot bit near the start with the noticable rear projection

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

overall I enjoyed the movie. I liked how they included some comedy in parts which was unexpected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm hard enough to impress, but this is a stone cold classic.

Finally a "grounded" war film film set in Europe. The perfect meld of reality, history call backs WW2 and sci-fi. A small story in what felt like a larger war.

One of the greatest things about this film is that nothing was overdone. There was just the right amount of action, drama, romance, thrill, and sci-fi to make this film one cohesive, compelling story, without going off onto to tangents (as many films do by including draggy love scenes, or over complex scientific explanations for events). Every aspect of this film is weighed and measured to craft a well-balance feast for our minds, and that prowess speaks to the ability of both the director and the editor(s). Undoubtedly, the editing of this film must have been painstaking and intricate. Trying to figure out how much of each day was enough to keep the audience following along, without being overplayed must have been quite the process.

Loved the evocative war time feel of
    London and Whitehall, and it made me want to see more of the wider world. How we would get glimpses of different events and then play them back with assumed knowledge at another level
    The bit in the
    pub reminded me of 1984 with Winston and the proles

Tom Cruise has NEVER been better. Blunt is just as good. Those two and Paxton, especially her make anything they're in better, so seeing them together is alike a dream. It was wonderful to have adult leads acting with the no BS mentality of war veterans, not some YA ****e. The comedy is just the right tone. I had a big ass grin the whole way through and I was recognising while watching it, "god this is special". Nobody had a line out of place, Paxton is finally back with some of that Edge.
    That scene with Cruise and the truck and his reaction. He tried to sneak out of doing the pushups and miscalculated the trucks movement and gets ran over. Paxton: "What the hell were you thinking? to the assuredly bloody mess we don't see,
    It was so morbidly funny, and It got the biggest laugh of the year for me. :D

It felt all so plausible not just in situations, but in character development and I can't say that of hardly any blockbusters since the mass advent of CGI and inflated budgets.

The movie seemed to be creating itself naturally.

There was no warping across the galaxy, "hey why do we need starships so" and jumping the captains chair. There was little breaking of internal logic.

Reminded me of BSG in terms of the aesthetics, set up and the poster who mentioned Emily Blunt as the best sci-fi heroine since Kara Thrace is 100% correct.

The humans felt like humans, soft meat puppets, and the world was shown as dangerous and weighty, not just talked about and
    I honestly feared for how fallible them which is truly extraordinary in a film which whole premise is resetting/reliving the same day. He is a very different person by the end and nobody will know why, until he tells her obviously

His character kinda reminds me of Wikus from District 9; he does what he does out of survival and desperation. You slowly see the toll it has on his mental health. Its very anti Michael Bay in that it at no point glorifies war. It's one of those movies where you get some idea how PTSD affects soldiers.
    And it somehow manges to be the rage/terror and trance like state of war, and be ridiculously entertaining and cool and terrifying. Those moments where Cruise is in the dropship the first time and he struggling like some scared child to get somebody to answer him to turn the safety off were amazing He just wanted to. You could see the fear and hear it in his voice, I felt for him and was affected, I was bricking it too. It's all the countless little moments like this.
    It got the cruelty and devil may care attitude of war across, it was really subversive

You forget Tom the star and just watch the film wondering what will happen next and how far into each day he'll go, or how far other people will allow him to go. I found the part
    at the farm where Cruise had seen her future and tried multiple ways to save her, but didn't want to let on to her, very affecting and sad in a way

The movie flows in an interesting way and it likes to surprise you. I'm not talking about forced twists, I'm talking about that special situation where you don't know what happens next. I've missed that feeling. I didn't have to pretend to care about the movie, I was interested in every minute of it. This happens rarely. And when it ends, you're satisfied. No setting up sequels, no ambiguous crap, just a solid, fitting ending.

If we could have more this, blockbuster cinema will be saved. Yet of course it's my favourite film of the year and it's doing terrible in the US at least.

I'll be honest with most films these days, you hear me say "it was alright for what it was" like Mc Donalds. Making Rationalisations that we have to make do with the junk that roles off conveyor belt from the studios. This didn't feel like one despite all the obvious signs it looks like one.

This film didn't want that as a thought/option, and it both dazzled and delighted me in doing so.

I only wish I could have brought a few of my people along with me, as lord knows enough I've been too enough ****e with them.

Yes the ending is
    implausible, but it felt earned, if that makes any sense. How many blockbusters make the heroes earn their moment? I wanted them together, as opposed to rolling my eyes. It worked despite the plot contrivance. It's also bittersweet. I mean, the guy spent so much time with her, and in the end, it starts all over but it's her first time meeting him, for the final time. All I would do in that situation is just smile or even laugh, just like Cage. He had spent years fighting, it used to be all about what he wanted in the beginning, and he comes to the realisation he hasn't thought about himself for a very, very long time, he's surprised by the question

The poster is mentioned that mentioned that
    morbidly dark
    ending was initailly what I had in mind too for a split second.

I love that
    nobody will know what they did.

This would have been my younger brother's dream movie but he is on a J1! D-Day goes sci-fi.

I could have sat with these characters for another few hours!

It is everything that used to be great about summer blockbusters before the superhero renaissance of the year 2000, and it is everything that has been forgotten about cinema in general. There once was a time when you weren't so certain about the fate of the characters in your movie, full-well knowing that they are either invincible or planned for the sequel. There once was a time when action movies made you actually feel something other than, "Eww, that was cool." And it does that as well. You feel the full spectrum of emotion in this one.

This goes right up upside with Terminator 2.
    In fact if I didn't know any better, I'd have believed 90's Cameron directed this!

It's a film that most action/sci fi movies and superhero movies wish they could be. It never felt safe. It actually has something to say Groundhog day, Back to the Future, It's a Wonderful life, about personal development and growth, and how if we fail; why not treat every day as new start like a videogame? No matter hellish it can be, we can learn, endure, live, die, repeat, everytime we fall asleep at night to a point where we get to a place where we're satisfied, accomplished the goals. Of course this all buried so well in the allegory of the story. It's subversive, and that's the mark of the greatest storytelling.

That end theme music....Beautiful

I'm trying to think of anything I didn't love....

I'm kind of in shock. I haven't enjoyed a sci-fi film like this since..since I was a child, and I'm a grown ass adult. The biggest surprise in YEARS.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Doug Liman have a go at Star Wars in some form. Maybe Episode IX, if Rian Johnson is only writing but not directing that.

I agree with everything in this article:

http://thisisinfamous.com/edge-tomorrow-deserves-redemption-sakes/

http://plarko.com/movies/edge-tomorrow-future-original-action-films/

Of all the original "big" movies over the past few years, this deserves to blow up at the BO and be fought for. Basically anything that isn’t a prequel, sequel or reboot of a decades long franchise

• Advertisement

Adamantium wrote: »
    I'm kind of in shock. I haven't enjoyed a sci-fi film like this since..since I was a child, and I'm a grown ass adult. The biggest surprise in YEARS.

Nice post, I felt the same on pretty much everything you said and especially the above.

The film was a big surprise for me, and I only went to it after a friends recommendation. I've read the original book, and just been so repeatedly disappointed by sci-fi/action in recent years, combined with a fairly poor trailer, this was one I was going to give a miss. It's prob not for everyone, but it really should have performed better at the box office.

Agree that would have been very interesting to see Doug Liman do a Star Wars, but alas not to be. I'm sure JJ will do a vastly superior job than the prequels.. but I really really didn't like that second Star Trek film, Super 8 and MI3. Reason being they weren't original enough.. too wanky homage-y to previous films.

Advertisement