Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Can anyone give me directions to the break in Killiney? I presume I drive over the hill and come down the other side under that arch.

Diarm, that link is just asking me to sign in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

drive to killiney dart station - drive towards Dalkey along the coast road - it goes up and over the hill - when you get to the flat on the top of the hill with Killiney hill on your left - you'll see a bridge over the railway and a spot for parking cars, a couple of benches - you can see down to the sea from there - there's a little beach with a chalet there. It works occasionally and very occasionally is any good. Sometimes you'll get a break on the main Killiney strand in front of the Dart station. Careful where you're going though - take a look at it on low tide - i was down there surfing before and being pretty careless - when the tide went out there was rocks everywhere and big metal fence posts sticking out from the old sea defences.

Thanks a million Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Maramore or however you spell it was pretty good last friday avo, waves 3 to 6 feet. Paddle out bit tough as strong current into shore but much easier paddle from centre of the beach opposite the little river and walkway and then paddle across right. Mini rip to bring you out so make sure you use other spot to come back in or you'll be pounded by waves from 2 sides. A poor little dead porpoise on the shore too. Should be good today and tomorrow down there! Also Killiney today bout 2 and tomorrow at 3ish for low tide should be working!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I have to do an essay today but hopefully later I'll get in the water in Killiney, see y'all there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Out in Donabate today. Bit choppy but good enough. On the way home I had a look at Gormanstown and it looked great. Anyone ever surfed there? Whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

horrible polluted water.
    yuck.

I was out on Dollymount, choppy, but good enough for me.

I was out in Donabate at a sea swim a while ago, it certainly wasn't polluted. I think it has a blue flag. Since the new sewerage system in Ringsend things have really cleaned up in Dublin Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the southside was like yesterday 04/03/06(killiney/wicklow area). I was an hour into my drive to surf there when I realized I forgot my suit :(.

Shane_C wrote:
    I was an hour into my drive to surf there when I realized I forgot my suit :(.

Shane, I would convince myself it was crap and never mention it again.

• Advertisement

yesterday's yesterday would be sunday right? Sunday was ok. Big enough swell for Killiney but a bit messy due to the winds. This morning however, beautiful. Clean waves and big swell from last night there were like 4-5 out this morning at around 7 am it was a great way to start the day. As for forgetting your suit, that would be a friggin nightmare for me, I'd pull my fcuking hair out! See you out there next time.

Southerly winds this weekend and early next week might hopefully resurrect some east coast surf and save on green house carbon emissions driving to sligeach!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Thu 10/05 9.5ft 10secs 245° 26mph SSW - Offshore Mostly Sunny 12°C
    Fri 11/05 14.5ft 11secs 34mph W - Offshore Overcast 11°C

Is this? Will it?

Is that an East coast forecast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

For the Dublin area, it changed though

Next monday/tuesday in Bray anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

There were definitely surfable waves in Bray this morning, sun was out aswell. Pity I had to go to work:(

I had a frigging exam, go figure......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Portmarnock was the same at 8pm on Sunday and monday at 7 am, sickner, couldn't surf either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 puremagic diarm

[IMG][/img]dsc0070zt4.th.jpg

[IMG]http://[/img]dolly1bc3.th.jpg

finaly got the pics up.. and this is not a once off thing! at 4.30 on the do at half tide with a sw wind....

• Advertisement

Very nice pics, are they the mythical norfolk line waves in dollymount?!

its no myth 4.30 with a sw wind.. i surf it all the ime

Great shots! Weekdays only?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

its no myth 4.30 with a sw wind.. i surf it all the ime

Pfft,, Surf,, You can't surf.. Now back to your Studies School Boy :D

There's no limit to your pimpin of the pure magic.

Shamefull

ViDuchie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

All these pictures of surf on the east coast is getting me giddy. Im pretty much a rookie at this sport. (Done 6 hrs of lessons in Lahinch & thats it). I live in Dublin and may buy a 2nd hand board if renting boards is tricky on the east or west coast.

Perhaps a silly question here, where do you guys put you wallet, car keys, mobile phone etc when you head out onto the water. Do you's hide them behind a know rock by a sign say?

Cheers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Andrewf20 wrote:
    All these pictures of surf on the east coast is getting me giddy. Im pretty much a rookie at this sport. (Done 6 hrs of lessons in Lahinch & thats it). I live in Dublin and may buy a 2nd hand board if renting boards is tricky on the east or west coast.

Perhaps a silly question here, where do you guys put you wallet, car keys, mobile phone etc when you head out onto the water. Do you's hide them behind a know rock by a sign say?

Cheers!

Everything valuable out of sight in the boot.
    Then take your car key into the water in your wet suit key pocket.
    If your key has the alarm buttons built in, you should take the key you
    got with your car that has none of that on it (you should have got one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Doh! My suit (ONeill Epic) doesnt have a pocket I dont think. Certainly not where the Oneill Psycho suit has one at the bottom of the leg. Ill check the suit more thoroughly later when Im home.

Cheers.

ViDuchie i can surf
    ahh who ar u??? and how u no bout me??? the internet is a smalll place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Doh! My suit (ONeill Epic) doesnt have a pocket I dont think. Certainly not where the Oneill Psycho suit has one at the bottom of the leg. Ill check the suit more thoroughly later when Im home.

Cheers.

Check for a pouch sewn in behind the zip

• Advertisement

Just tie the basic key on to the draw string of your shorts, thats what I do anyway if I'm doing a roadside change! As pointed out though, make sure its the basic key without electric gizmo's!

Be hard pushed renting a board in Dublin, maybe scrounge or borrow. West Coast has no waves this week, Killiney is all good to go again today at 5ish! Was great yesterday too! Swell forecast looking bleak for the following week too, might be chance of decent easterly or north easterly winds making Irish Sea have the best waves! Take it while you can, prob only 10% the amount of surfing days compared to Sligo etc! Time to pack my board and umbrella!

Advertisement