Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The constituency is becoming more and more Castleknock biased. If you exclude SF & AAA (which I thoroughly intend to do), Varadkar, Coughlan (please God no), Chambers et al from the more mainstream parties are all from that area. Makes it pretty plain whose votes matter to these parties and that they think all of the rest of us are a bunch of "radical" loons.

Coppinger got in over McGuinness and she got a large Castleknock vote.

Chambers is IMO a good candidate and the people saying he is still in college etc... I believe his plan is to take a break if elected.

To be honest, regardless of party it is good to see someone come through who is confident enough at his age. The constituency has been dominated by the same group (except Coppinger) for long enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

AGC wrote: »

Chambers is IMO a good candidate and the people saying he is still in college etc... I believe his plan is to take a break if elected.

To be honest, regardless of party it is good to see someone come through who is confident enough at his age. The constituency has been dominated by the same group (except Coppinger) for long enough now.

Not true. Chambers plans on pulling out of his studies now, after his father paid for him to enter the college of surgeons. He is giving them up before completing them and taking it as a given that he has the seat in the bag based on the relative success of the previous FF candidate, coupled with his own.

It's risky, but if you don't have to worry about money, like most of the electorate do, then it's a risk you really should have the confidence to take all day long.

PS: If McGuinness does decide to run in he GE, only he and Varadkar will be candidates who are born and bred in the Dublin west constituency. That won't be important to everyone, but it will be a factor for some. O'Gormon could be a possible other.

The only unknown is, Chambers never pulled a vote out of Mulhuddart as he never ran in al election in Mulhuddart and under the current left climate, it's a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Oh I bet he does. Not surprised he can't afford the rent on the place now, although I presumed he signed a lease.

It's a strange state of affairs. Kind of proves that FF are running scared with a year to go. It'll be interesting to see how young Chambers attempts to raise his profile outside of leafy Castleknock into Blanch village and the rest of the constituency.

The constituency is becoming more and more Castleknock biased. If you exclude SF & AAA (which I thoroughly intend to do), Varadkar, Coughlan (please God no), Chambers et al from the more mainstream parties are all from that area. Makes it pretty plain whose votes matter to these parties and that they think all of the rest of us are a bunch of "radical" loons.

Varadkars from Roselawn Road which is certainly not Castleknock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He has no life experience to represent me anyway, in fact I'd say he has led a pretty closeted life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Chambers is the furthest thing from a good candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Not true. Chambers plans on pulling out of his studies now, after his father paid for him to enter the college of surgeons. He is giving them up before completing them and taking it as a given that he has the seat in the bag based on the relative success of the previous FF candidate, coupled with his own.

It's risky, but if you don't have to worry about money, like most of the electorate do, then it's a risk you really should have the confidence to take all day long.

PS: If McGuinness does decide to run in he GE, only he and Varadkar will be candidates who are born and bred in the Dublin west constituency. That won't be important to everyone, but it will be a factor for some. O'Gormon could be a possible other.

The only unknown is, Chambers never pulled a vote out of Mulhuddart as he never ran in al election in Mulhuddart and under the current left climate, it's a big risk.

What relevance is it who paid for him to go to College?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He has no life experience to represent me anyway, in fact I'd say he has led a pretty closeted life.

I'm sorry but what exactly are you basing this on. Do you know him personally?

Can you define exactly what life experiences is required to represent you?

yeah more than 6 years over the voting age would be a good start

yeah more than 6 years over the voting age would be a good start

Great, so next year he'll be ok so. Have you ruled out any other candidates based on age?

Great, so next year he'll ok so. Have you ruled out any other candidates based on age also?

I ruled him out because he is standing for a party of Back stabbing pricks:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@wildlifeboy let's keep the conversation level-headed please.

Common sense. He's a student. I was one too once, at his age. As much as you think you may know at that age, you know nothing really.

I ask the following questions because he's an unknown to me, what jobs has he held, is he working now or is he still living at home? I'd guess at hone? What does anyone really know at that stage of their life about themselves, never mind people he wants to represent?

Common sense. He's a student. I was one too once, at his age. As much as you think you may know at that age, you know nothing really.

So basically it's just an assumption then based on your own personal experiences. You knew nothing when you were a student therefore he must know nothing either.
    What does anyone really know at that stage of their life about themselves, never mind people he wants to represent?

So what is an acceptable age to you for your Public Representatives?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So its just an assumption then based on your own personal experiences. You knew nothing then when you were a student therefore he must know nothing either.

I'd see it as being realistic rather than an assumption. A 24 year old with less than a year on the local council (and I'd say this of anyone, not just Chambers) would still have a lot to prove to many, if not most people before they'd consider voting for them. In contrast, whether you're an FF voter or not, I don't think that anyone can deny that David McGuinness has put in the work locally and has earned a shot at "the big league". When Chambers has put in a similar amount of effort then he too will have earned his chance to go for national politics, but he hasn't yet reached that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd see it as being realistic rather than an assumption. A 24 year old with less than a year on the local council (and I'd say this of anyone, not just Chambers) would still have a lot to prove to many, if not most people before they'd consider voting for them. In contrast, whether you're an FF voter or not, I don't think that anyone can deny that David McGuinness has put in the work locally and has earned a shot at "the big league". When Chambers has put in a similar amount of effort then he too will have earned his chance to go for national politics, but he hasn't yet reached that stage.

Precisely!! I think the big difference between McGuinness and Chambers is that non-FF voters could countenance at least giving McGuinness a preference because of all the work he's done on the ground (and not just in Mulhuddart LEA). Chambers' selection reeks of old school Fianna Fail rebranded but not changed.

I've already stated that I am not a fan of the left in this Constituency, or in the country for that matter. So beyond my first preference or two, I vote anti-left. I could happily have given a high preference to McGuinness, I can't do the same for Chambers, it's too soon to cast that vote as it would be for the Party and not the person since Jack Chambers the person and public representative is too green, and without a local record.

So basically it's just an assumption then based on your own personal experiences. You knew nothing when you were a student therefore he must know nothing either.

So what is an acceptable age to you for your Public Representatives?

You're missing, probably purposely, the several times I mentioned a bit of experience of life, both working and personal.

The guys above make valid observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

but he's fianna fail, are there many that many dumbass's in D15? Surely not! If Fianna Fail get in I am never voting again. Are people really that stupid? do tyhey not have any memory? do they liked being robbed blind, lied to shafted? I dont

If Fianna Fáil make make a comeback it will be because of the disillusionment of people like you.. And I fear it will happen :-(

The sad fact of the matter is most voters go with the obvious established candidates, the alternative options suffer from lack of votes as a result.
    It's a miracle that some good candidates keep fighting away. Your vote may not elect them, but it might make option C, D or G keep on putting themselves forward.

I ask the following questions because he's an unknown to me, what jobs has he held, is he working now or is he still living at home? I'd guess at hone? What does anyone really know at that stage of their life about themselves, never mind people he wants to represent?

Whats your opinion on our junior finance Minister so?

Personally I think Chambers, who has completed a law degree successfully and going on to do medicine(Not if elected) is a decent candidate and has plenty of experience of committee's and forum's in the local area and from talking to him has a very good understanding of national politics, despite what some say here.

Age for me should not come into it, I am glad to see some youth coming into politics and not the usual suspects being gifted seats in various constituencies.

People keep saying that age should not come into it and completely ignoring the glaring issue of him having no experience and leading a pretty cosseted live so far.

Whats your opinion on our junior finance Minister so?

Personally I think Chambers, who has completed a law degree successfully and going on to do medicine(Not if elected) is a decent candidate and has plenty of experience of committee's and forum's in the local area and from talking to him has a very good understanding of national politics, despite what some say here.

Age for me should not come into it, I am glad to see some youth coming into politics and not the usual suspects being gifted seats in various constituencies.

That's nothing but Candy floss. He failed some of his exams and mis-represented some facts on his leaflets. If Edward McManus (Brian Lenihan's campaign manager) knows this, you can be sure his new political affiliates know too.

Chambers was elected in may 2014 to the council and headed off to America for two month holiday whilst being a paid councillor. Excellent if you can get away with it.

He never, ever had a part-time job or paid income tax before becoming a councillor and will not be paying property tax, or water charges. He was brought up with a silver spoon.
    He, like all other candidates will seek the working persons vote and he hasn't got an iota of the life experience of the people he seeks a vote from and ALL of the other candidates will call this in to question.

Chambers is 23 and wet behind the ears. All other candidates have at least 5 years experience under their belts as public representatives. Chambers is being pushed forward by the people who in the words of the RTE late debate panel, state, who wish to bring back Lenihan from the dead in Chambers.

One lesson I've learned in life is to make sure you complete something before moving on to another. Pulling out of his studies to become a career politician is bad judgement and one you can be sure will not be lost on the electorate.

• Advertisement

People keep saying that age should not come into it and completely ignoring the glaring issue of him having no experience and leading a pretty cosseted live so far.

He has and is still gaining experience in local politics, a lot more than some of the people currently in the Dáil.

Being from the area he doesn't live a 'cosseted' life.

That's nothing but Candy floss. He failed some of his exams and mis-represented some facts on his leaflets. If Edward McManus (Brian Lenihan's campaign manager) knows this, you can be sure his new political affiliates know too.

Chambers was elected in may 2014 to the council and headed off to America for two month holiday whilst being a paid councillor. Excellent if you can get away with it.

He never, ever had a part-time job or paid income tax before becoming a councillor and will not be paying property tax, or water charges. He was brought up with a silver spoon.
    He, like all other candidates will seek the working persons vote and he hasn't got an iota of the life experience of the people he seeks a vote form and ALL of the other candidates will call this in to question.

he is 23 and wet behind the ears. All other candidates have at least 5 years experience under their belts as public representatives. Chambers is being pushed forward by the people who in the words of the RTE late debate panel, state, who wish to bring back Lenihan from the dead in Chambers.

Jesus it's terrible that his parents have had successful careers.

Can I ask what was misrepresented on his leaflets?

I failed some exams through college but still graduated. It can be done you know.

Jesus it's terrible that his parents have had successful careers.

Can I ask what was misrepresented on his leaflets?

I failed some exams through college but still graduated. It can be done you know.

Yes, and good for you. That's how it should be done.

Chambers announced on the night of the 25th on RTE late debate, live, that he'll now be pulling out of his studies to pursue the politics. Now put that exams in to context with that in mind.

Let me add to that - if you fail certain exams and you decide retry, you then have to pay through the nose to get back in to somewhere like the college of surgeons and to be able to walk away from that, brings 'commitment' in to question.

Yes, and good for you. That's how it should be done.

Chambers announced on the night of the 25th on RTE late debate, live, that he'll now be pulling out of his studies to pursue the politics. Now put that exams in to context with that in mind.

Let me add to that - if you fail certain exams and you decide retry, you then have to pay through the nose to get back in to somewhere like the college of surgeons and to be able to walk away from that, brings 'commitment' in to question.

What are you talking about? He has completed his law degree, he is in the process of starting medicine, whatever decision he makes on that he makes, he is not claiming to be a doctor though because he hasn't completed it. If you fail certain exams you can repeat, fail them repeat the year or go elsewhere etc... I don't see what the issue is and why it is such a big issue for you?

What false representations did he make on his leaflets?

What are you talking about? He has completed his law degree, he is in the process of starting medicine, whatever decision he makes on that he makes, he is not claiming to be a doctor though because he hasn't completed it. If you fail certain exams you can repeat, fail them repeat the year or go elsewhere etc... I don't see what the issue is and why it is such a big issue for you?

What false representations did he make on his leaflets?

We'll leave that to the general election candidates to point out if they do their homework.
    He's playing senior Hurling now and I'm sure numerous Radio, newspaper and maybe even TV debates will try and call all candidates in to question.

That's politics in Ireland. It's ruthless.

Maybe you could answer a question. I've been working since I'm 13 years old. I've paid income tax since I'm 16. I've paid my way through life and I have a mortgage and a car like many people and I've a child.

Tell me on what basis Jack Chambers can represent me please.

We'll leave that to the general election candidates to point out if they do their homework.
    He's playing senior Hurling now and I'm sure numerous Radio, newspaper and maybe even TV debates will try and call all candidates in to question.

That's politics in Ireland. It's ruthless.

Maybe you could answer a question. I've been working since I'm 13 years old. I've paid income tax since I'm 16. I've paid my way through life and I have a mortgage and a car like many people and I've a child.

Tell me on what basis Jack Chambers can represent me please.

Senior Hurling? Don't think so, inter football he was but injured himself towards the end of the year.

I have no interest in canvassing for him so not going to tell you who should represent you or who you should vote for, you clearly have your own ideas but to come out and not back up what you have been saying is my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree with Chuck, I think the candidate choice is very unrepresentative of the constituency in the main. For the same reason I dont think the Presidential candidacy should be lowered to under 35, I think TDs should have a particular level of life experience and cross society appreciation to be effective and truly representative.

I believe the next election will be the one where party affiliation matters least compared to previous GEs and that the successful candidates will be the ones who can appreciate and will fight for voters and households who are earning but under pressure, paying the bills for the state but with little hope of advancing their own existences, topping up the budgets in health, education, environment and social protection out of their own pockets.

Very young Dáil candidates just won't cut it and I wouldn't give Chambers a prayer for FF

Senior Hurling? Don't think so, inter football he was but injured himself towards the end of the year.

I have no interest in canvassing for him so not going to tell you who should represent you or who you should vote for, you clearly have your own ideas but to come out and not back up what you have been saying is my issue.

Yep he did his ankle in, but you know I was referring to politics in more simplistic terms.

You have every intention of batting for him. You wouldn't be lumping in here otherwise.

I leave all the other contributors here to ponder my requirement as a voter, because there are many thousands like me in my stage of life. Whoever I give a preference to, will be the first three people in my book to demonstrate commitment to the community, years of Service as a public representative and the content of their character as demonstrated in the community.

Leo Varadkar will get a preference from me. Not only was he qualified in medicine, he actually worked at the profession. He is a straight talker and seems to be a genuine committed representative. He too failed some exams but he repeated and completed them before moving on to politics. I admire that. He's a Blanchardstown man who has done well for himself.

I've added that in just to give an idea of how a voter dissects the facts when deciding to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Did Chambers really go to America for 2 months after he was elected? Was he on a J1 or something?

• Advertisement

Yep he did his ankle in, but you know I was referring to politics in more simplistic terms.

You have every intention of batting for him. You wouldn't be lumping in here otherwise.

I leave all the other contributors here to ponder my requirement as a voter, because there are many thousands like me in my stage of life. Whoever I give a preference to, will be the first three people in my book to demonstrate commitment to the community, years of Service as a public representative and the content of their character as demonstrated in the community.

Leo Varadkar will get a preference from me. Not only was he qualified in medicine, he actually worked at the profession. He is a straight talker and seems to be a genuine committed representative. He too failed some exams but he repeated and completed them before moving on to politics. I admire that. He's a Blanchardstown man who has done well for himself.

I've added that in just to give an idea of how a voter dissects the facts when deciding to vote.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Varadkar and as I have said I am glad to see younger people come into politics so am happy to see Chambers give it a go. I don't think McGuinness would have got a seat, his chance I feel was in the last by-election. Leo will cruise through the next GE as he is far and away the standout in the area.

Your dig at the medicine again makes no sense, do you just ignore the fact that the guy has completed his law degree?? Do you think he should go out and work in a law firm before even considering running? He wants to be a politician and that is what he is going after. Why shouldn't he?

Your opinion is that they need to give years of service and have the experience, I disagree. He has put himself forward on local council and was well supported so I can clearly see why he was selected to go for the next GE.

I am not batting for him either, just trying to find out about what you have said in relation to misrepresentation but you won't answer that. I would be happy to see anyone young and competent enough go forward in any constituency.

Advertisement