Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Kerrbear92 wrote: »
    I missed the opens day sadly but what is the 10% compensation?

Like say you hit the mark with everything and then don't quite reach the standard for the push pull do they pass ya?

Well the circuit/ obstacle course is to be completed 3 times in less than 3 mins 20 secs, the pull push you gotta get 25kgs of force to pass, however if you do the obstacle in less than 3 mins they give you 10% compensation on the push pull in that you just gotta get 22.5kgs on it, which due to my height is what I'm aiming for!

These two parts go hand in hand as do the beep test and sit ups and press ups, if you fail the beep test and pass everything else you can appeal to HRM to re do that part which is the beep test and sit ups and press ups as they are considered 1 test, likewise with the circuit and push pull, if you fail just the push pull you can appeal for a re test but you'll be doing the circuit all over again too,

Hope that makes sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kerrbear92

Well the circuit/ obstacle course is to be completed 3 times in less than 3 mins 20 secs, the pull push you gotta get 25kgs of force to pass, however if you do the obstacle in less than 3 mins they give you 10% compensation on the push pull in that you just gotta get 22.5kgs on it, which due to my height is what I'm aiming for!

These two parts go hand in hand as do the beep test and sit ups and press ups, if you fail the beep test and pass everything else you can appeal to HRM to re do that part which is the beep test and sit ups and press ups as they are considered 1 test, likewise with the circuit and push pull, if you fail just the push pull you can appeal for a re test but you'll be doing the circuit all over again too,

Hope that makes sense!!

YOU ARE A LITTLE STAR! I'm pretty sure ill be ok with the push pull because im 5ft10 but need to start doing some form of weights and then practise sit ups like theres no tomorrow!

Well actually first of all I need to pass the medical on Tuesday!!

YOU ARE A LITTLE STAR! I'm pretty sure ill be ok with the push pull because im 5ft10 but need to start doing some form of weights and then practise sit ups like theres no tomorrow!

Well actually first of all I need to pass the medical on Tuesday!!

No problem! Also just to say that the guys pointed out that press ups need to be done chest to the ground with the plank as your resting position as in straight back, and sit ups you will have to do all the way up chest to your knees any done only half way up won't get counted and that's for guys and girls!

No problem! Also just to say that the guys pointed out that press ups need to be done chest to the ground with the plank as your resting position as in straight back, and sit ups you will have to do all the way up chest to your knees any done only half way up won't get counted and that's for guys and girls!

So really I'd be better off just going for the 20 press ups in one go! Do we girls get to do the 'girlie' press ups, resting on our knees rather than feet? Gona be an absolute beast by the end of all this!!

So really I'd be better off just going for the 20 press ups in one go! Do we girls get to do the 'girlie' press ups, resting on our knees rather than feet? Gona be an absolute beast by the end of all this!!

Yep us girls just do the press ups on our knees, the press ups are also untimed whereas sit ups are timed to a strict minute, also we do get a break between the beep test and sit ups/press ups, the lads said normally two groups come along and group b waits while group a do their beep test first and group a wait to do their sit ups and press ups while group b is doing their beep test.
    Personally I'm struggling on the sit ups and only way to beat that is for me to do heaps of them :-( same with press ups I'm not too bad but am watching to make sure I bring my chest down proper and that my bum isn't sticking out - ie I'm keeping my back straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Really struggling with sit ups myself too. Getting to 20 in 30 secs and run outt steam in the last 15 secs dunno what more to do

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

aido112 wrote: »
    Really struggling with sit ups myself too. Getting to 20 in 30 secs and run outt steam in the last 15 secs dunno what more to do

Just keep practicing, are you putting something on your feet to hold them down?
    They will be doing this during the test and it makes it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Hank26 wrote: »
    Just keep practicing, are you putting something on your feet to hold them down?
    They will be doing this during the test and it makes it much easier.

Ya the mrs is holding le down reached 33 tonight so feeling much better about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

Medical in morning. Do I have to bring anything and where do I go in Garda HQ??? Thanks

• Advertisement

aido112 wrote: »
    Ya the mrs is holding le down reached 33 tonight so feeling much better about it!!!

Well done. Keep it up.
    Unfortunately there isn't any shortcuts only practice.

Medical in morning. Do I have to bring anything and where do I go in Garda HQ??? Thanks

I can't remember if you have to bring anything.
    Just go straight into the reception area beside the front gate, your name will be down on a list and you will be brought over to the medical building.

Thanks...Can you park your car inside the gates or outside and walk up??

Hank26 wrote: »
    Well done. Keep it up.
    Unfortunately there isn't any shortcuts only practice.

Remembering to breath is the best advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Outside.

There's loads I Parking out side even down a bit!!!!i parked at the zoo to walk there before, doubt we would be allowed inside the gates!!!!;)

• Advertisement

Meeting a sergeant in Santry on saturday before i get my meeting with the super in coolock :-)

Have a happy head on me in work now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

Meeting a sergeant in Santry on saturday before i get my meeting with the super in coolock :-)

Have a happy head on me in work now :-)

Well done, how were you notified about the meeting? I've still heard nothing about that side of things

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    Well done, how were you notified about the meeting? I've still heard nothing about that side of things

The sergeant himself rang me there at 3, he said he had just received my application form that he'll be looking over then going through it with me and just having a casual chat with myself before my meeting with the super :-)

I've my medical next Thursday but have had no word on my physical date yet so hoping that this is a sign things are gonna start moving along now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thelmascanl

Passed my medical last Friday and still no medical date. Any one else in the same boat??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Passed my medical last Friday and still no medical date. Any one else in the same boat??

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, seen as you passed already you're 100% likely not to get another date :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My guess is that they're prioritising the first 100 or so according to the OOM. If you are lower down the list then it makes sense to be waiting longer.

Who's was there on Saturday just gone!!!!!!???? I was.... Thot the college looked awesome!!!!!! Pct looks ok an the bleep test ain't as hard as I thought!!!!!

Anyone do their medical yesterday?

Meeting with the sergeant went pretty great! He said he would be pushing for me to go into the July class as they are short on numbers for that intake! He also told me to expect a call about my meeting the super-intendant this week! :D

Meeting with the sergeant went pretty great! He said he would be pushing for me to go into the July class as they are short on numbers for that intake! He also told me to expect a call about my meeting the super-intendant this week! :D

Did you get a date for your physical yet?

Did you get a date for your physical yet?

No havent a date for the physical yet but figure I'll get that in the next week probably, specially if the numbers for the July intake haven't been met!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

does anyone know how long the medical takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

about 2.5 hours from start to finish if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

How long is a piece of string???

The actual medical itself takes very little time, around 20mins or so but you will be waiting around a while.

When you get in you may have to wait a little while. You'll have to fill a short form on medical history etc. and fill a urine sample in this time.

You'll then be called to see the nurse who will calculate your bmi, check your blood pressure and give you the hearing test. After this you'll have to wait to see the doctor.

The doctor will then check breathing, check for hernia , possibly check blood pressure again and check eyesight. Provided you pass, you'll then have to wait to meet someone from the recruitment office who will give you info on whats next.

The total time you are there could vary from 1hr or so up to 4-5 hours depending on how much waiting you need to do.

Good luck to those doing their physical tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rgdajd

well lads i know its probably been talked about here before but i dont have the time or the patience to go thru 226 pages to find out info on the beep test.

Basically I am onto stage 3 and am bearing in mind the fitness test that may follow if i am lucky. I am 6ft 4 and 19 st. I am currently dieting like a ****er and its working, im shedding 2-3 lbs a week without excercise. So i am not looking for advice on what to eat but i am looking for advice on HOW TO TRAIN for a beep test

I have done a bit of research on beep test but with the large variation on them i am afraid to settle on one. some of ye guys that has been thru the test already might be able to estimate for me what distance you actually run in a beep test at level 8?

My plan is to find out what distance I need to run overall and master running it within reasonable ease and then work on my technique for the test itself.

Anyone able to guide me here? particularly lads that have recently passed it? Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Also before the mods get on here and tell me where to go, the reason im in the stage 5 thread is because this is where to find the fellas goin thru or gone thru the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1 machara

Hi everyone. Have my medical Wednesday and most things seems ok but I want to how strict is the hearing test is. I have no noticeable problems but after a quick test with my doctor we found that my hearing isn't what it should be for very high frequencies, something iv never been aware of. I just want to know if anyone was in the same boat as me and how did they get on in the medical. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Rgdajd wrote: »
    well lads i know its probably been talked about here before but i dont have the time or the patience to go thru 226 pages to find out info on the beep test.

Basically I am onto stage 3 and am bearing in mind the fitness test that may follow if i am lucky. I am 6ft 4 and 19 st. I am currently dieting like a ****er and its working, im shedding 2-3 lbs a week without excercise. So i am not looking for advice on what to eat but i am looking for advice on HOW TO TRAIN for a beep test

I have done a bit of research on beep test but with the large variation on them i am afraid to settle on one. some of ye guys that has been thru the test already might be able to estimate for me what distance you actually run in a beep test at level 8?

My plan is to find out what distance I need to run overall and master running it within reasonable ease and then work on my technique for the test itself.

Anyone able to guide me here? particularly lads that have recently passed it? Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Also before the mods get on here and tell me where to go, the reason im in the stage 5 thread is because this is where to find the fellas goin thru or gone thru the test

The beep test used for Garda recruitment is the Loughborough standard 20m shuttle run beep test.
    All the info you need to know about the test is here:
    Click HERE

Theres a nice chart which explains the total distance run at each level here:
    Click HERE

If you are using an android phone, click link below to download an app to practice with:
    Click HERE

Apart from the info you can get above, just practice, practice, practice.... you'll get there. Just on a side note, dont overlook the sit-ups and push-ups either, ive seen people fly the beep test and fail on sit-ups purely because they thought they wouldnt have a problem with them so didnt train.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

Hi guys,just wondering did anyone else who passed their medical last week get a date for the physical yet!?had mine on Thursday and was expecting an email by now!

Mcnulty101 wrote: »
    Hi guys,just wondering did anyone else who passed their medical last week get a date for the physical yet!?had mine on Thursday and was expecting an email by now!

Yeah had my medical last Thursday and got a date for physical Saturday Morning

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Anyone who is doing Physical today or this week is there any word on starting date for next batch, is it still rumoured to be the last week in July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

kev-bt wrote: »
    Anyone who is doing Physical today or this week is there any word on starting date for next batch, is it still rumoured to be the last week in July?

Yea lad.. looks like the last week of july for starting after the 2nd group leave. We are out the door and yous are in

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

Yeah had my medical last Thursday and got a date for physical Saturday Morning

Cheers McGarnigle, when did you get word you have it on Saturday? Was it just an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thelmascanl

Hey guys, Fitness test on the 9th and am really struggling with the push ups. Anyone got any tips as to what i can be doing to improve them? (e.g gym workouts that are particularly good for it or anything like that?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 upmayo2015

Just wondering how did people get on today? And has everyone got dates? Waiting to be called for physical have medical done.

Mcnulty101 wrote: »
    Cheers McGarnigle, when did you get word you have it on Saturday? Was it just an email?

Sorry its not on til Tuesday week but got the email on Saturday with details

• Registered Users Posts: 31 upmayo2015

Sorry its not on til Tuesday week but got the email on Saturday with details

Is it next Tues? the 2nd?

upmayo2015 wrote: »

Tuesday the 9th

upmayo2015 wrote: »

Tuesday the 9th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Hey guys, Fitness test on the 9th and am really struggling with the push ups. Anyone got any tips as to what i can be doing to improve them? (e.g gym workouts that are particularly good for it or anything like that?)

Not any kind of instructor or fitness guru, but I found for myself, that i did ten, took a break for an hour did ten more and did this as many times i could, each day i added 2-3 more till i was comfortably doing 35.

• Advertisement

Check out the 'pyramid workout'. It's brilliant for boosting your endurance. Basically you do 1 push-up, then rest for the same amount of time (1 second), do 2 and rest for 2 sec, 3 push-up - 3 sec rest, and so on up to 10. Then you go down from 10 to 1...

There's plenty resources online if you try to google it. I can't post any links here unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

Anyone that passed their medical last friday, got a date for physical test yet? All this waiting is doing my head in now at this stage...

Hi, can anyone recommend a laser eye surgery clinic? Passed everything on the medical but my eye sight...absolutely heartbroken on the day but I'm not out of it yet! Seen someone comment before saying they had it done and wanted some advice on it. Thanks!

AndyZ wrote: »
    Anyone that passed their medical last friday, got a date for physical test yet? All this waiting is doing my head in now at this stage...

I passed my medical last Thursday and met the super earlier this week, but no word on the PCT yet. Take it easy and use this time to prepare for the test, and you'll be grand. No point stressing out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

I passed my medical last Thursday and met the super earlier this week, but no word on the PCT yet. Take it easy and use this time to prepare for the test, and you'll be grand. No point stressing out :)

Oh I am trying alright,have 20 meters measured out on my driveway and all...and even joined the gym...again...

• Advertisement
Advertisement