Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Hi, I'm a curious onlooker who one day might hand wash his car :), but what is a D/A please ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

dar83 wrote: »

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

What would be the basic items for a novice? Car is silver and I'd really only be interested in cleanIng the exterior.

Depends on what level of finish you want and what condition it's currently in.

If you have badly swirled paint or scratches and you want a mirror finish then you eithe rneed to buy plenty of kit or leave it to a pro.

Silver is reasonably easy to work with though, so assuming it's in okay nick then
    - decent shampoo
    - clay bar
    - Megs paint cleaner
    - Autoglym Super Resin polish

In that order should give you a resonable result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

what polish is best for hand polishing,i can't afford the d/a at present so will get a few cleaning products just to make the cars nice and clean.
    What products do you recommend i get on a budget, from the wash to polishing everything bar the d/a at the moment.
    I'm not to concerned about swirls just want to make the car presentable looking.

• Advertisement

Where can you go to get the whole none yards done for you and is it expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

what polish is best for hand polishing,i can't afford the d/a at present so will get a few cleaning products just to make the cars nice and clean.
    What products do you recommend i get on a budget, from the wash to polishing everything bar the d/a at the moment.
    I'm not to concerned about swirls just want to make the car presentable looking.
    Autoglym super resin polish i think its called followed by a decent wax gives great results. Thats what i started out using.
    Joe10000 wrote: »
    Where can you go to get the whole none yards done for you and is it expensive ?

Spirit detailing or Detailing shed. I got mine done with detailer.ie (2 stage paint correct ) and i think it was about €450. Damn now i want to clean my car today but i have to do mothers day stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

E39MSport wrote: »
    What would be the basic items for a novice? Car is silver and I'd really only be interested in cleanIng the exterior.

Depends on what level of finish you want and what condition it's currently in.

If you have badly swirled paint or scratches and you want a mirror finish then you eithe rneed to buy plenty of kit or leave it to a pro.

Silver is reasonably easy to work with though, so assuming it's in okay nick then
    - decent shampoo
    - clay bar
    - Megs paint cleaner
    - Autoglym Super Resin polish

In that order should give you a resonable result.

Thanks. It is in good nick. I've just bought it 07 reg. I might get a professional to do a proper job on it first as ive a wedding coming up in 2 weeks - can you recommend anyone in the Dublin area?

What type of cloths/mitts would I need for washing and applying the polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks. It is in good nick. I've just bought it 07 reg. I might get a professional to do a proper job on it first as ive a wedding coming up in 2 weeks - can you recommend anyone in the Dublin area?

Again I would recommend Brian at spirit detailing > http://spiritdetailing.com/

He does brilliant work. He would also suggest what and possibly supply what is needed to keep it up.

There are others but I never saw any before/after photo's from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is also the guys at Detailingshed.com

You will see many examples of their work here

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96

pics included.

They have a great standard of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I think this is something which I'm going to have to invest in, my car is 12 years old at this stage and has plenty of swirls in the black paintwork.

Any recommendations on a starter kit?I've been shown before how to use one and I can always use the gf's car to practice on. :pac:

I think this is something which I'm going to have to invest in, my car is 12 years old at this stage and has plenty of swirls in the black paintwork.

Any recommendations on a starter kit?I've been shown before how to use one and I can always use the gf's car to practice on. :pac:

Wait until these are back in stock > http://www.cleancar.ie/kestreldas-6completekit.html

vectra wrote: »
    Wait until these are back in stock > http://www.cleancar.ie/kestreldas-6completekit.html

Can I ask why you're recommending that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

how long would those pads last vectra? can you wash and reuse?

Can I ask why you're recommending that one?

Because I bought that exact package. Used it on the Toledo which I thought was beyond redemption but it did a super job on it. Now, Granted about 50 hours was spent on it.. But well worth it.
    Had I given the car to a detailer to do it for me then I would estimate it would have cost me double the initial outlay.

how long would those pads last vectra? can you wash and reuse?

Yes, I wash and re-use them.. For how long i don't know. Time will tell :D

vectra wrote: »
    Because I bought that exact package. Used it on the Toledo which I thought was beyond redemption but it did a super job on it. Now, Granted about 50 hours was spent on it.. But well worth it.
    Had I given the car to a detailer to do it for me then I would estimate it would have cost me double the initial outlay.

50 hours!Well worth it though

Guess it's a good time to start my birthday wishlist so for next month :)

Guess it's a good time to start my birthday wishlist so for next month :)

Absolutely,
    Also, what I found was they are so simple to use the butterflies left my stomach after one panel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

any good guides you learned from vectra? the thought of using a DA on my Astra for the first time scares me a little :)

• Advertisement

any good guides you learned from vectra? the thought of using a DA on my Astra for the first time scares me a little :)

Not really,
    I started with lightest pad and polish and worked up until I found what was best, which for the Toledo was heavy cut on both.

When using the DA I found speed 4~5 worked good and the pass speed was approx half the pad size per second if that makes sense toy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I found this guys videos to be great. He uses a DA called a PC7424 which is pretty much the same as the Kestrel model mentioned a few posts above.

If you're still scared, see below.

Hope this helps.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty good videos alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just find junk man takes soo long to get to the point, a real "entertainer":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Just find junk man takes soo long to get to the point, a real "entertainer":rolleyes:

That's actually why I like him. Bit O'personality you know? Plus none of the work is ever done under "ideal circumstances" as per the likes of the Autoglym of Meguiars car care videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

:( Grrrrrr...Ideal day to do the car yesterday and today but I'm not staying at mine so I decided to collect a set of alloy wheels and got a matching T bar glass for the front :p

Test Transmission - go with cleancar for the complete kit..Larry is very helpful. Mines sitting in the box on my room for the last few weeks :(

Next weekend I should have a go at it...very bad swirling on the car in the sun.

If you want a cheap starter Polisher, well it's more like just a Polish/Wax remover really, give the 12V Halfords one a shot. It's only €27.99 and it actually does a decent job, but it wont really remove swirl marks or anything. I have one and used it today to remove the AG Super Resin after I had applied it. Then used TurtleWax Precision Wax on the car after that and the final result was this...

reflec1.jpg

If you want a cheap starter Polisher, well it's more like just a Polish/Wax remover really, give the 12V Halfords one a shot. It's only €27.99 and it actually does a decent job, but it wont really remove swirl marks or anything. I have one and used it today to remove the AG Super Resin after I had applied it. Then used TurtleWax Precision Wax on the car after that and the final result was this...

I think i might invest in something like this. My back is just not able for the work that goes into detailing the car. Does it speed up the process much? Is there any chance of wrecking the paint with it? And stupid question why does it only take it off and not put it on as well? Is that just the job of the DA

I'm sure you could try and use it to apply it as well if you like, I've just never tried to be honest. I prefer to apply by hand so I know how much I am using/need to use. :)

It takes the elbow grease out of removal on any somewhat flat surface anyway (roof, bonnet) you need to hold it more on the side panels obviously and anywhere more intricate you still need to do by hand, but for the larger panels it speeds up the process a little for sure.
    No real danger in damaging the paint with it either, as it runs off the Cigarette lighter in your car, so doesn't generate the speed or heat that the more powerful ones do (which does the damage if used incorrectly). I'm sure if you used force and kept it on the same spot for a length of time you might, but then you'd just be trying to cause damage really, wouldn't you?! :P

• Advertisement

I will go and check it out tomorrow. Im not interested in going down the DA road to be honest a bit too intense for me so long as its somewhat clean and shiny i am happy. And my last stupid question of the day. Do you have your car running while you use it to stop it wasting the battery? And can you buy normal plug in ones. I have no poxy fag lighter in my banger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement