Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

listermint wrote: »
    Should check out this thread

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?p=428517#post428517

Seen it this morning, impressive results for scratch filling. Even the hand polishing alone made a sizeable impact.

have some of that glosworks but it hasnt filled the scratches. they are still visiable. i would rather cut them out than fill them! now saying that i havent used it with the dual action, just by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sean1141 wrote: »
    have some of that glosworks but it hasnt filled the scratches. they are still visiable. i would rather cut them out than fill them! now saying that i havent used it with the dual action, just by hand

Give it a go with the DA before buying something else.

Personally Ive had good experience with Menzerna Polishes and Pads that i got in cleancar. Depends on the swirls need to go heavy pad and heavy cut if they are bad.

But as with anything no one can guarantee 100% swirl free.

As an aside, did you remove any previous sealants (waxes etc) from the surface prior to doing hand polish ?

Give it a go with the DA before buying something else.

Personally Ive had good experience with Menzerna Polishes and Pads that i got in cleancar. Depends on the swirls need to go heavy pad and heavy cut if they are bad.

But as with anything no one can guarantee 100% swirl free.
    ya i used menzerna polishs too. not bad but i found them hard to work. the marks on the car are not bad its more me being fussy!
    As an aside, did you remove any previous sealants (waxes etc) from the surface prior to doing hand polish ?

ya i washed the car with fairy liquid. i didnt clay it but i plan to this time

ya i used menzerna polishs too. not bad but i found them hard to work. the marks on the car are not bad its more me being fussy!

ya i washed the car with fairy liquid. i didnt clay it but i plan to this time

Definitely clay it you'll see noticeable difference. Are you x2 / x3 stage polishing? Hows the paint is it hard paint? how as the weather when you were working. The menzerna;s to me didnt appear too hard to work with at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

The reason I don't like them is because I would love an M3 and I get slightly jealous :o
    If you want it that bad you will achieve it. Set a goal for yourself and plan for it. And also say a little prayer to lady luck!
    Now there is a man to hate
    :D

Urgh got it in one! Will you do mine please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive never used a clay bar on my car, normally id use the cleanser, polish then wax. Am I really missing out by not claying?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ive never used a clay bar on my car, normally id use the cleanser, polish then wax. Am I really missing out by not claying?

Not really. Are you using a D/A with the cleanser? If not then you're not getting the full benefit of the cleanser.

Cleanser (with D/A) and claybar are almost the same thing to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not really. Are you using a D/A with the cleanser? If not then you're not getting the full benefit of the cleanser.

Cleanser (with D/A) and claybar are almost the same thing to a certain extent.

No Im not using a d/a (had to go check out what d/a meant :o) id be doing it using some elbow grease would it make that much of a differance?

Definitely clay it you'll see noticeable difference. Are you x2 / x3 stage polishing? Hows the paint is it hard paint? how as the weather when you were working. The menzerna;s to me didnt appear too hard to work with at all.

ya i have used clay before. just hadnt the time/weather the last time i gave it a good going over.

what do you mean by x2/x3 stage polishing? im guessing you mean an aggressive cut followed by a lighter cut followed by a finishing polish.. if so i have done that about this time last year..

car is a 05 seat leon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If working by hand, you are better using an all in one cleaner sealant (chemical cleaners), rather than a cutting polish (abrasive). With an AIO, you just work it into the paint. You do not have abrasives to break down, so they are gentler on paint and require less elbow grease to apply. They will not remove scratches or swirls, but will deep clean the paint even better than regular polishes do. If you clay beforehand, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ya i have used clay before. just hadnt the time/weather the last time i gave it a good going over.

what do you mean by x2/x3 stage polishing? im guessing you mean an aggressive cut followed by a lighter cut followed by a finishing polish.. if so i have done that about this time last year..

car is a 05 seat leon

That Seat paint is a Bugger to cut with a DA.. I spent almost 50 hours cutting the Toledo.. In fairness it was bad to start with.. No way near as good as your paint Sean.. It does look 500% better now.

mrs crilly wrote: »
    If you want it that bad you will achieve it. Set a goal for yourself and plan for it. And also say a little prayer to lady luck

The only thing putting me off is €1566 per year to tax. Not a hope i can afford that right now. My tax renewal is coming up in May and it'll be €925 and I can barely handle that!
    No Im not using a d/a (had to go check out what d/a meant :o) id be doing it using some elbow grease would it make that much of a differance?

You can't move your hand fast enough in order to break down the chemicals on paint cleaners. That's why you need a D/A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

vectra wrote: »
    That Seat paint is a Bugger to cut with a DA.. I spent almost 50 hours cutting the Toledo.. In fairness it was bad to start with.. No way near as good as your paint Sean.. It does look 500% better now.

Very true, didn't see much cut with a dual action on mine. Upgraded to a rotary and have not looked back. Time saved is well worth the outlay.
    I bought a beginner rotary, dodo spindoctor as I'm only using it for personal use. Very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

woohoo

karcher.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

hey guys need some help here.
    i have a sealey rotary machine and want to get rid of swirlmarks.
    i have an autoglym s160 pad and 03b fine abrasive.
    can i use that to get the marks out and then polish it with deep shine wax.
    cheers.

Neilw wrote: »
    Very true, didn't see much cut with a dual action on mine. Upgraded to a rotary and have not looked back. Time saved is well worth the outlay.
    I bought a beginner rotary, dodo spindoctor as I'm only using it for personal use. Very happy with it so far.

Have thought about getting a rotary as well for initial cuts, and finish off with the DA

• Registered Users Posts: 6 imolazed

Have thought about getting a rotary as well for initial cuts, and finish off with the DA

Definitely hang onto to your DA if you get the Rotary, much easier to finish with and safer on plastic parts.

With regards a rotary, you have to be more cautious as they can easily burn through paint.

looking for a good polish to get rid of some swirll marks on the car... cant decide between

http://www.cleancar.ie/gtechniq-p1-nanocomposite-polish.html

or

http://www.cleancar.ie/chemicalguys-p40polish.html

The P1 is slightly harder work as it's water-based and therefore not as well lubricated. I find you have to work smaller areas and you'll get more dust.

P40 is oily and stays wet long enough to be throughly worked by hand.

Both have superb cutting power. As an example we've tested P40 against Autoglym Paint Renovator (which is supposed to be very abrasive). Correction was much greater on the P40 side of the panel.

I think I read you're using a machine so I'd probably go for the P1 and keep the speed slightly lower than normal.

• Advertisement

imolazed wrote: »
    Definitely hang onto to your DA if you get the Rotary, much easier to finish with and safer on plastic parts.

Thats what I meant.
    Rotary first, then DA to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well Men,
    Can you check me over here please? I'm not a freak over my cars cleanliness but like every red blooded man or just general car owner enjoy keeping her well and looking after her and I am skint so keeping it cheap or trying too.

I've found the below. I'm not sure if these are the best site to be using or if there are better out there and cheaper. With respect to polishing and waxing I am generally using old non abrasive rags from home so any suggestions on how to better that would be appreciated too
    I'm in work so navigating Detailer.ie is hard as we are on an old IE5 platform so I got those links by bouncing straight into the site from google so direct links would be handy too :D

Poorboys Black Hole Glaze
    http://www.detailer.ie/shop/index.php/shop-by-brand/poorboy-s-world/poorboy-s-black-hole.html
    €16.95

Meguiars Quik Clay Bar Kit
    http://www.detailer.ie/shop/index.php/shop-by-brand/meguiar-s/meguiar-s-quick-clay-kit.html
    €19.95

Chemical Guys P40 Polish
    €16.95

If you get the chance to give feedback / tips / suggestions before I make the buy, I'd appreciate it.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well Men,
    Can you check me over here please? I'm not a freak over my cars cleanliness but like every red blooded man or just general car owner enjoy keeping her well and looking after her and I am skint so keeping it cheap or trying too.

I've found the below. I'm not sure if these are the best site to be using or if there are better out there and cheaper. With respect to polishing and waxing I am generally using old non abrasive rags from home so any suggestions on how to better that would be appreciated too
    I'm in work so navigating Detailer.ie is hard as we are on an old IE5 platform so I got those links by bouncing straight into the site from google so direct links would be handy too :D

http://www.detailer.ie/shop/index.php/shop-by-brand/poorboy-s-world/poorboy-s-black-hole.html
    €16.95

http://www.detailer.ie/shop/index.php/shop-by-brand/meguiar-s/meguiar-s-quick-clay-kit.html
    €19.95

Chemical Guys P40 Polish
    €16.95

If you get the chance to give feedback / tips / suggestions before I make the buy, I'd appreciate it.

Dont buy anything off detailer site as there has been various bad experiences with them. Im not entirely sure if they are even still trading presently. Someone else may know.

As regards the items youve listed. Ive used them all with great success I have however found the poorboys polish to be much easier to use than the P40 if you are hand polishing. Its noticeabley easier to use and ive had better results.

But P40 is great stuff works well just a tad tougher to work with than the poorboys IMO

Well Men,

€16.95

€19.95

Chemical Guys P40 Polish
    €16.95

Detailer.ie? Surely that muppet isn't back in business?

Like listermint says the Black Hole will be easier on the wrists but that's because it's a glaze. It fills the swirls rather than correcting them. P40 has good corrective properties and is one of the best for use by hand, but correcting by hand is never easy.

If you're looking to stick to the non-abrasive route and want a glaze. Something like Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze.

Cheers fellas. Presume eBay is the way to go here?

Cheers fellas. Presume eBay is the way to go here?

Well no Cleancar.ie and detailingshed.com I have had great experience with. Customer service is second to none. So id look there first.

Been buying stuff off for last x4 years. Tried detailer twice and that was enough for me..

Not ebay Mugs, www.cleancar.ie is the way to go ;)

AFAIK detailer.ie has been gone a while and he still owes me money >:(

Cheers folks. Batter the laser card tonight so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

What would be the basic items for a novice? Car is silver and I'd really only be interested in cleanIng the exterior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

What sort of a budget do you have and are you thinking of including a power washer in the process?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement