Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living on the breadline for the next month or so...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Jumpy wrote: »
    I remember a story an ex told me about an old flatmate that used to buy loads of mince, roll it up into a ball and freeze it.

He would then take it out of the freezer each night and drop the big ball into a frying pan, cook it for a few mins then scrape off the cooked mince and then put the rest of the frozen ball back in the freezer to do the same the next night until the ball was gone.

I am amazed he lived.

Why didn't he just divide up the mince before he froze it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Berty wrote: »
    I didn't know about the cap because it says in the ward(next to her bed) that it costs €913(or so) a night for a private room and €710(or so) for a semi private room and €75 for the room she is in(14 beds). It also states that non EU people are charged €1100+(cant remember exact figure) for an overnight stay or for an RTA.
    The cap is the cap, and it applies to all public patients. Unless you are going in as a private patient, the cap will apply to you. Make a quick call to the hospital accounts dept to confirm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

50 Eur for a weeks food:eek:, i think some people either dont know how to cook or dont know how to shop. You can easily live on 35 Eur a week and thats eating good too E.G:

Dinner:

10 Chicken Drunsticks 2.50 Lidl
    4 100% 8oz beef burgers 2.00 Dunnes
    Fresh salmon 2.50 Dunnes
    Pre packed pork Stir Fry lidl 2.50
    2 lamb chops 4.00 local butchers
    2 Pork chops 3.00 local butchers
    Mackeral or smoked haddock local fish shop 3.50

Frozen veg 2 bags 3.00 Lidl
    2 bags of chips 1.60 Aldi
    Frozen creamy mash spuds 2.10 Aldi
    net of onions 80c Dunnes
    Mushrooms Lidl 1.00

Brekfast:
    Aldi award winning bacon 1.50
    Aldi pudding 2 of 2.00
    Aldi sausages 1.20
    Aldi bread 50c

Total 34.00 Eur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Tescos 12 inch pizza - 1.20
    8 rashers - 1.25
    Loaf of bread - 99c
    10 fish fingers - 99c
    Bottle of lemonade - 55c
    Bag of pasta/rice - 1.50
    Tin of beans - 80c

You could easily buy enough grub for a week with 15 euros if things are bad enough. May not be the greatest food in the world but you won't starve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I CAN cook! But I try eat healthy and it's not really that cheap. An organic steak in Tesco costs like 8euro, salmon is like 7 euro, they all add up!

If you have 50 quid a week to live on there is no way you should be thinking about eating steak for a start. Be realistic for Christs sake.

I lived with two other guys before and we shared the shopping.. 45 quid for the week for three of us.

By a pack of 4/5 chicken fillets for 6e, buy a bag of spuds for 3e, bag of frozen veg and you could have 4 dinners if you wanted, bit of rice and sauce a stirfry for another couple euro.

Lasagna, lean mince, spaghetti, pasta are all cheap and you can make a variety of meals with them.

Try Reads on Patrick st to get your thesis bound, I heard the place on college road is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

OP i got a 5 Euro deal in Superquinn today, 9 (Superquinn!) large sausages, 5 rashers and a packet of white pudding all for 5 Euro. It was my Sunday treat for a fry but if I had to, 2-3 days of a lunch could have been knocked out of that, all for a fiver!

Not that long ago at all, I was in very difficult times, the next step for me was homelessness and I was able to get by on 20 Euro a week. And I even had a social life, even if it was based on pints of tap water accompanied with an excuse that I had to take a tablet so that I'd not be charged lol! I have a theory since that you will discover who your real friends are at times like this, the one's who will buy you a pint or lunch or breakfast and not make you feel like a knacker for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The only downside to this OP is that, with the crap people are telling you eat, you won't see Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

OutlawPete wrote: »
    The only downside to this OP is that, with the crap people are telling you eat, you won't see Christmas.

OP you can always eat grass, the cows seem to get by on it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MrDarcy wrote: »
    OP you can always eat grass, the cows seem to get by on it....

Apparently you would have to eat non stop for 14 hours eat day to get any nourishment from grass unless, like a cow, you have 4 stomachs and can regurgitate your food also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

MrDarcy wrote: »
    OP i got a 5 Euro deal in Superquinn today, 9 (Superquinn!) large sausages, 5 rashers and a packet of white pudding all for 5 Euro. It was my Sunday treat for a fry but if I had to, 2-3 days of a lunch could have been knocked out of that, all for a fiver!

They have that deal regularly. Does good for the 'Inner City Dinner' as it is known :D (yum!)

Also, great tinned chopped tomatoes with basil in Aldi & Lidl for about 35c a tin - great for making pasta and other sauces.

Buy fresh veg if its just for the week - you'd be surprised how long stuff lasts in the fridge.

Superquinn usually have a bag of their 'essentials' baby potatoes for €1, a few carrots, peppers, onions and garlic will set you back €5 at most, probably more like €3 (buy in Lidl or Aldi).

If you're willing to actually enjoy preparing and cooking food, €50 is LOADS for a week.

Oh, Aldi usually have a bag of Lamb Chump Chops for about €3 too, they're delicious, and you'd get 2 dinners worth for yourself out of them.

If you're near enough to an Iceland - they sell really lovely Pizza's for €1.50 each, a couple of those for a dinner or two during the week. (I relaly like the hot and spicy one with pepperoni and jalapeno etc).

For lunches, Lidl do a 'family' pack of ham, its like 32 slices for less than €2 - perfect for sandwiches or salads.

So there's a few idea's to add to your weekly shopping list, add some herbs and seasoning's which will last for AGES you can make yourself really lovely food for next to nothing per day.

Check your local butchers for deals - you can often get like 12 chicken fillets for €10 - in between other foods, they could last 3 weeks if frozen :) (assuming 2 used per meal, twice a week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just did a week's shop for two people for €60. If you can't feed one person for less than €50 there's something wrong with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

kylith wrote: »
    I just did a week's shop for two people for €60. If you can't feed one person for less than €50 there's something wrong with you.
    obesity is a key factor of the financial dismay of many of today's young adults,i agree there is something wrong

pmcmahon wrote: »
    obesity is a key factor of the financial dismay of many of today's young adults,i agree there is something wrong
    Poor fatties; crisps and biccies are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

I forgot to mention, in regards to shampoo and all that stuff, you can pick well known brands in the €2 shops, not sure if they are perfect but I assume they are, probably sold to them due to damaged packaging or something?

Anyone know more about this?

i have often done this , i pick up saint ives apricot scrub for €2 and the same with some original sources products etc.. , sometimes the instructions are in a differnt language or the packaging is a bit different (i reckon if a company revamps the packaging , they sell off the discontinued packaged products cheap to discount stores) i've got sensitive skin but havent ever had a problem with them

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

50 Eur for a weeks food:eek:, i think some people either dont know how to cook or dont know how to shop. You can easily live on 35 Eur a week and thats eating good too E.G:

Dinner:

Fresh salmon 2.50 Dunnes

net of onions 80c Dunnes
    Mushrooms Lidl 1.00

Brekfast:

Aldi pudding 2 of 2.00
    Aldi sausages 1.20
    Aldi bread 50c

Total 34.00 Eur.

aldi porridge--less than 1 euro

aldi porridge--less than 1 euro
    Lidl porridge oats (blue packet) c.€0.55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dinner:

Fresh salmon 2.50 Dunnes

net of onions 80c Dunnes
    Mushrooms Lidl 1.00

Brekfast:
    Aldi pudding 2 of 2.00
    Aldi sausages 1.20
    Aldi bread 50c

Total 34.00 Eur.
    JONJO by name, JONJO by nature. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭boardgirl

50quid is plenty for a week! Ive been on the dole this summer and get the BTEA (dole for students) when I go back to college in a few weeks-all I ever have leftover is 50 a week and I manage to eat well (thanks to Jamie Oliver cookbook). Its a bit unfair for you though cause your obviously under enough stress and the situation your in is because of somebody else! late night tesco deals are great an if you need a few cheap but tasty dinner ideas let me know.:)

kylith wrote: »
    Poor fatties; crisps and biccies are expensive.
    im a fatty in a skinny body :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The key is shopping and the rolling stock in the freezer. If you are making a lasagne, stew, curry etc., buy enough to make 4 -5 portions and freeze the rest. It costs more initially but you soon build up a stock that you just bing as you need it and there is always variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

pmcmahon wrote: »

Ha! I'm far from obese... Going to the gym gives me a raging appetite though.

Thanks for all the budgeting tips guys! :)
    I managed to do my weekly shop for €26 in Tesco today, God bless Tesco Value products! And that €100 I very kindly recieved from Swampy yesterday morning will go towards getting my thesis bound, if I can figure out how to get my moolah from paypal to my bank account... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Thanks for all the budgeting tips guys! :)
    I managed to do my weekly shop for €26 in Tesco today, God bless Tesco Value products! And that €100 I very kindly recieved from Swampy yesterday morning will go towards getting my thesis bound, if I can figure out how to get my moolah from paypal to my bank account... :confused:

Ha ha!! We won't tell you :p

that's that way i like em,sexy grrrrrrr

1000th POST THANK IT YOU DOGS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Angie boo

Myself and my boyfriend and got brave during a financially hard time and moved into an apartment while he was working part-time hours(due to cut back in job) and I had lost my job and on €150 from social. All in all after rent & bills we had €50 between us for the week and I managed to shop in aldi for €40 full shop including household products( toilet rolls ect ect) and some cans of beer for the weekends spent in. We lived like that for almost 8 months and were as happy as pigs in muck. Bottom line it will be tough, be it can be done.

Advertisement