Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

my god , this sounds sad

are you on anti depressants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tikkaman

mickman wrote: »
    my god , this sounds sad

are you on anti depressants?

i'm taking citrol 10mg but my CBT therapist thinks it not enough...
    but i don't like the label of taking anti depressants...
    And i also love shooting, and if i keep taking them i may loose my licences on the next renewal.... :(

how do the rest of you all manage with relationships of the opposite sex...?

i just think negatively of myself... all the time, and if i don't try to get a date i feel rather normal..... but once i tend to start to think of starting something panic sets in.....

:(

thankfully i dont have any issues like this. i just have a bit of ocd and anxiety , neither of which inhibit me much

do you exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

tikkaman wrote: »
    i'm taking citrol 10mg but my CBT therapist thinks it not enough...
    but i don't like the label of taking anti depressants...
    And i also love shooting, and if i keep taking them i may loose my licences on the next renewal.... :(

how do the rest of you all manage with relationships of the opposite sex...?

i just think negatively of myself... all the time, and if i don't try to get a date i feel rather normal..... but once i tend to start to think of starting something panic sets in.....

:(

I don't take rejection too well. It gets to me way too personally. I just don't have enough confidence to brush it off, and again it comes down to feeling like I'll never meet more people/guys. Recently I've become a little interested in someone, but he says he's not into a relationship atm (could be just me) and so I feel like this is a fairly big loss as I just don't meet that many people. plus now I seem to have lost him as a friend too. Though to be entirely honest I'm not sure if he ever had intentions of just being my friend

I don't take rejection too well. It gets to me way too personally. I just don't have enough confidence to brush it off, and again it comes down to feeling like I'll never meet more people/guys. Recently I've become a little interested in someone, but he says he's not into a relationship atm (could be just me) and so I feel like this is a fairly big loss as I just don't meet that many people. plus now I seem to have lost him as a friend too. Though to be entirely honest I'm not sure if he ever had intentions of just being my friend

i too am the same, i fear more rejection will just put an end to me ever being happy...

i can battle through the cbt tasks so far although with a bit of a push from my cbt therapist...

But this is the big barrier i always face, No confidence at all....
    And if a woman was to ask me out i think i'd freek, and look rather stupid in the process,

At least you can have the courage to ask him out which is more thani can do, :(

• Advertisement

Is there anyone on here who had issues like me and managed to get into a relationship and feel good inwardly about themselves...?

i've just reached the end of the line and need something to hope for...

Is there anyone on here who had issues like me and managed to get into a relationship and feel good inwardly about themselves...?

i've just reached the end of the line and need something to hope for...

stop thinking about other people. u need to sort this yourself

do you exercise?

i get excercise by out walking when i'm shooting, also take the odd walk on the beach.... go to the pool in winter now and then when i feel i can handle the crowds...

i know its only myself that can help me but i don't have the courage.... :(

i get excercise by out walking when i'm shooting, also take the odd walk on the beach.... go to the pool in winter now and then when i feel i can handle the crowds...

i know its only myself that can help me but i don't have the courage.... :(

first and foremost excercise will help you massively. if i get anxious during the day and get a tight chest , the only thing and i mean the only thing that sorts it out is a run in the evening, good exercise gets you breathing more deeply which relieves all anxiety etc

walking while out shooting and a walk on the beach is not exercise. you need to get your heart beating fast, you need to sweat , you need to get the blood pumping fast around your body. you need to get 40 mins exercise 5 times a week.

do that for 1 month and i guarantee you will be back on this forum feeling better for yourself

I don't think you should be 'guaranteeing' anything here mickman. I would like to give exercising a go to help with mood, as everyone says it helps but my problem is I just don't have the energy.

It just occurred to me that my doctor didn't ask me the other day was I seeing a counsellor or anything. I was meant to bring the things I wrote down to show her, but I forgot, and so also forgot to mention trying to get the free counselling through the HSE again. But no she never mentioned it. this isn't good.

• Advertisement

I don't think you should be 'guaranteeing' anything here mickman. I would like to give exercising a go to help with mood, as everyone says it helps but my problem is I just don't have the energy.

It just occurred to me that my doctor didn't ask me the other day was I seeing a counsellor or anything. I was meant to bring the things I wrote down to show her, but I forgot, and so also forgot to mention trying to get the free counselling through the HSE again. But no she never mentioned it. this isn't good.

stop saying "but my problem is" . cut those words out of your vocabularaly. and yes i will guarantee that ye will feel better if ye exercies 5 times a week. its the only method that is 100% helpful in treating depression and anxiety.

you dont have energy cos you spend all day going around with negative thoughts and you dont exercise. dont you see that its a vicious circle. if you exercise it will help with your negative thoughts, help you have more energy and you will notice an improvement in your mood.

stop saying "i cant " and " my problem is" - just get your runners on and a pair of shorts and get out and run 1 mile 5 times this week. stop thinking about it and just DO it. even if you .5 of a mile and you have to stop, so what? stop and then continue again until you get fitter and fitter and you can take it to the next level.

go swimming - make it your business to learn how to swim properly, go twice a week, its unbelievable exercise and really good for the body. dont come back and say "i cant go swimming because" ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Join an exercise class and you'll meet new people! I do 2 a week, and they're really fun. Or ask a friend to go with you. I have a girl I was sorta friends with and we started doing a class together and now we're better friends cause we see each other every week.

Or get a really fun excercise dvd. I have a dance one and a stripping one! Think I'll put one on right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

phi3 wrote: »
    I'm fine with my family but I have no real friends because of it.

I've lost all close friends, I seem to be toxic when I'm depressed.

I have to agree with Mickman a little bit.

I try to go to the gym as much as I can. Not only does it pass the time a bit more productive than staring at the wall but I find I can work out a lot of anxiety there. Now it only lasts for a little while but tis a step in the right direction.

Happy people don't know how to be around sad people. I HATE when someone says "Cheer up it might never happen." It really boils my blood. I would never say to anyone cheer up.

And totally! If I don't go to the gym its another few hours I'm lying in bed moping

"Cheer up it might never happen." It really boils my blood.

haha I know what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Happy people don't know how to be around sad people. I HATE when someone says "Cheer up it might never happen." It really boils my blood. I would never say to anyone cheer up.

And totally! If I don't go to the gym its another few hours I'm lying in bed moping

Oh my god. Random people in the street tell me to cheer up. I mean it's bad enough if it's people you know. But when its some person in passing it goes further. Like what gives them the right to pass comment on me and why would i be walking down the street smiling anyway. That would be very strange. :mad:

why would i be walking down the street smiling anyway. That would be very strange. :mad:

I think that would be a good thing!

Next time I'm out and someone tells me to cheer up I'm gonna start crying and go on for ages about all my problems, ruin their night. That'll show em!

I think that would be a good thing!

Next time I'm out and someone tells me to cheer up I'm gonna start crying and go on for ages about all my problems, ruin their night. That'll show em!

Exactly. Like they dont know why i might not be cheerful. Stupid people.

Well its just one off those days,

i decided for my own health not to meet the woman i got into contact with, i've explained what i'm going through and that its nothing at all personal about her, as i said to her shes lovely...

just my own insecurities are making me panic...

i just feel so alone....

i've had a good talk with my parents, and they get it a little, :(
    i've booked tomorrow off work too to go to a cbt session as i need to get rid of the latest thinking errors...

if it works is another thing.... And i'm gonna try hypnosis again,

i feel like one messed up kid at the minute....

• Advertisement

At least you're being very proactive against how you feel though! Soooo many times when I've felt low I've just stayed in bed for days and weeks on end. Hang in there, all these things will help you.

At least your in control of yourself

Well its just one off those days,

i decided for my own health not to meet the woman i got into contact with, i've explained what i'm going through and that its nothing at all personal about her, as i said to her shes lovely...

just my own insecurities are making me panic...

i just feel so alone....

i've had a good talk with my parents, and they get it a little, :(
    i've booked tomorrow off work too to go to a cbt session as i need to get rid of the latest thinking errors...

if it works is another thing.... And i'm gonna try hypnosis again,

i feel like one messed up kid at the minute....

Do you find CBT helpful for you? to look back on the time before you started, can you notice a difference in yourself?

Do you find CBT helpful for you? to look back on the time before you started, can you notice a difference in yourself?

problem is i don't really know if cbt is useful or not, i don't see a difference in myself but my mum and dad say there is...

problem is i don't really know if cbt is useful or not, i don't see a difference in myself but my mum and dad say there is...

What kind of things have they said they noticed? do you trust that they're being honest, or could they just be trying to be good about it?

I found CBT really helpful when I went, and I noticed changes in how I thought and felt and reacted to things for a while. It was really helpful to discuss your situations and have someone offer insights to how you might have dealt with things differently.

I have a whole new set of problems now though and can't see the college counsellor for free anymore and I cant afford to pay :(

I found CBT really helpful when I went, and I noticed changes in how I thought and felt and reacted to things for a while. It was really helpful to discuss your situations and have someone offer insights to how you might have dealt with things differently.

I have a whole new set of problems now though and can't see the college counsellor for free anymore and I cant afford to pay :(

That's so sh!t. Are you entitled to a medical card? There's some places that will do a sliding scale system for people who are low income, do you think that maybe this might suit, or can you afford nothing?

I am not finding my counsellor great, and would like to move but I can't afford to pay anything more than I am now, and won't be able to get anythingn else.

What kind of things have they said they noticed? do you trust that they're being honest, or could they just be trying to be good about it?

they said i seemed more confident around certain people, and able to go into the pub for a night out with a festival comittie i helped out with,

just feel so stupid for feeling like i''ll never have the confidence to start a relationship, or have kids you know the circle of life thing...

i don't want to be an old man alone..... but my condition or confidence won't let me be NORMAL.... like i see couples in the street and i just wish i could be happy and with someone....

x

they said i seemed more confident around certain people, and able to go into the pub for a night out with a festival comittie i helped out with,

just feel so stupid for feeling like i''ll never have the confidence to start a relationship, or have kids you know the circle of life thing...

i don't want to be an old man alone..... but my condition or confidence won't let me be NORMAL.... like i see couples in the street and i just wish i could be happy and with someone....

x

How old are you? do you have many friends?

I don't think for now you should focus on settling down as your goal. If you think about what you really want i'm sure it's to be happy. And maybe that will be made better by being with someone, but ultimately shouldn't we all strive to be happy by ourselves first?

How old are you? do you have many friends?

I don't think for now you should focus on settling down as your goal. If you think about what you really want i'm sure it's to be happy. And maybe that will be made better by being with someone, but ultimately shouldn't we all strive to be happy by ourselves first?

i'm 34....

i'm happy or at least was with my own company, but i had a few very close friends, and one fell out and then others joined him basically,
    after he told a few yarns along the way.....

so i don't have that many CLOSE friends now... and will be guarded about who i do trust....

can i ask whats your biggest fear in all this mess we're all in...?
    have you tried to tackle it....

are you normally a confident person...? are you married/ single/ engaged/

i hope your getting near to your goals for getting better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I started group CBT last Thursday for SA,and the counsellor told us all that the changes that occur are subtle ones and that you might not even notice them happening yourself.He also talked about setting small realistic goals for yourself at the start and working your way onto to the big ones.

I found it really scary having to introduce myself to a room full of strangers,but everybody is in the same boat and I did feel slightly better after it ended,only 13 weeks to go!

My doctor can put me on a long wait list for free councelling, which I will do when I see her at the end of the month.

If you don't like your councellor you prob won't get much from it. The first councellor I had I hated and just couldnt' talk to her. I remember she asked me "How does it feel to be worried?" Seriously! I just wanted comfortable but I found the right councellor for me and got on really well. Now I'm just in a bit of a long slump again and I think councelling would be good for to deal with the new things in my life

QUOTE]

My biggest fear is that I'll never be "cured" as I'd like to call it, like to have "relapses" or whatever you say. I tried recently to come off my meds. I'm now on half my original dose and things are not going well for me, I'm seeing my doctor at the end of the month and I think I may have to go back to my old dose. But I really don't want to have to be on medication for my whole life. I worry that it's going to affect my whole life. I'm only 20 now and so don't really have to make any serious commtments to jobs/ family or whatnot, but I am scared that I'll never be able to.

I think I'm a fake confident person. I try to come off like I am but inside I'm a mess. People will tell you I'm not one to care what other people think, but I really do! People think I'm confident because of the way I dress and keep myself well, but really I do that to hide all my insecurities about my looks. I'm single at the moment and I don't know if I'll ever find someone while I'm such an emotional wreck! Who would want to spend so much time with me while I'm like this?

i'm 34....

i'm happy or at least was with my own company, but i had a few very close friends, and one fell out and then others joined him basically,
    after he told a few yarns along the way.....

so i don't have that many CLOSE friends now... and will be guarded about who i do trust....

I wouldn't blame you, with things having worked out like that.

i hope your getting near to your goals for getting better...

I don't know that I have a fear really. at least nothing i'm aware of.

I'm confident in some ways, and not at all in others. single.in the middle of moving out of the apartment me and my ex were sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Just feeling a bit sad and lonely tonight and wondering will things ever get better. I've been moderately depressed for quite a while, have good patches sometimes but they don't last.
    I've lost most of my friends over the years. i think maybe because I find it so hard to trust others.
    I know the answer lies with me, that I have to make myself better but hard to keep any motivation going.
    I find it so hard to have any hope for the future.

My biggest fear is that I'll never be "cured" as I'd like to call it, like to have "relapses" or whatever you say.

I find that a huge worry here. It's like the fear of fear. I'm afraid that my doctor will change my meds as I have a really bad withdrawal. I'm afraid to return to work incase I flip out again and have to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I wouldn't blame you, with things having worked out like that.

I don't know that I have a fear really. at least nothing i'm aware of.

I'm confident in some ways, and not at all in others. single.in the middle of moving out of the apartment me and my ex were sharing.

I get the feeling you're asking people about their CBT experiences. I'm not sure what emotional problem you're suffering from but it helped me hugely with OCD and Panic (nearly instantly after two or three sessions). Lingering anxiety is still with me nearly on a daily basis but I just say to myself "Fcuk it, it's only adreneline, and I'm still gonna have a fantastic day and do whatever the hell I want!". When I truly beleive that the anxiety just disapears

Read a fantastic book 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies'. I bought it in Easons on O Connell st. Brilliant read! Give it a read if you're interested in CBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Love_Game

Being lurky through this post awhile now, but only posted one I think.

I have GAD, and most days I think to myself ''Will I ever get better'', and I'm constantly thinking and criticizing myself for getting like this.

I have my first appointment with one of the head psychiatrists in St Martha's Mental Health day services, I'm on the medical card and was surprised at how quick I got it. Just hope that it does me some good.

Is anyone in a relationship and fear that with your problems its going to go bad? That's the way I feel now, I'm with my BF 3 years now and hes very supported but confused as I was never like this. It all came to a head at the start of Summer :(

When did it all start for you guys? I've felt like this for as long as I can remember. I know I've felt like this since I was 11 I'm not sure whether it goes further back or not. Of course I didn't know what it was until a few years ago. People used to think i was quiet or shy or just a bit strange. I guess it's easier to deal with now that i know what it is. In a way.

My biggest fear is that I'll never be "cured" as I'd like to call it, like to have "relapses" or whatever you say. I tried recently to come off my meds. I'm now on half my original dose and things are not going well for me, I'm seeing my doctor at the end of the month and I think I may have to go back to my old dose.

stop trying to come off the meds, it will only increase your anxiety. stay on them for as long as you need tem

This fear of relapse is actually supporting your anxiety as you're anxious about anxiety. This in itself is a factor. Once you learn to live and think positively (yes! positively!) about your anxiety it tends to fade away after a few weeks. The mental fear circuit is re-wired during GAD. Look at your GAD like a child who is afraid of the dark. You know that the fear itself is completely illogical but it's difficult for you to convince the child that there is nothing to fear in the dark but (to quote a brilliant president) but fear itself which is what is going on with a lot of you.

Let's look at some facts:

- What you're worried about is properly too rigid and unrealistic
    - The physical sensations are being interpreted by you as anxiety when in fact it could well be another emotion (when I'm excited I get sweaty palms and recently when I'm excited it immeditately converts to anxiety - wrong thinking, bud!)

Try to challenge your worries in very logical, factual terms. You'll still feel anxious afterward, but that's because it's a primitive chemical that will stay in your system for awhile. Ignore it and realise that like every emotion it is not going to be with you forever. Anxiety is an emotion as well as a physical sensation. It CAN'T stay forever but it can be persistant in how often it comes, like depression. So basically put up with it and get yourselves to a CBT. Seriously, don't bother with meds.

I will always have GAD. No big deal. Why would it be? I'm a worrier. So what? From now on, when it becomes a problem, I'll spend a day going over my CBT training and re-evaluate the situation. I will relapse, maybe even today! But I know how to work through it efficiently and productively.

Guys, all meds do is give you a chance to realise that there is nothing to be anxious about by dampening your emotions. They work, but you can do this through challenging yourself. My big thing was have Cerax in my pocket at all times. Yesterday I had an interview for a big job and I wanted to have my Cerax with me - but i didn't. Yes, I got anxious at the interview, I blushed, sweated and may have came across as a bit nervous... Big friggin deal! I'm sure most other people were even more nervous. Doubt the boss even realised. Get rid of your safety behaviours!

• Advertisement

This fear of relapse is actually supporting your anxiety as you're anxious about anxiety. This in itself is a factor. Once you learn to live and think positively (yes! positively!) about your anxiety it tends to fade away after a few weeks. The mental fear circuit is re-wired during GAD. Look at your GAD like a child who is afraid of the dark. You know that the fear itself is completely illogical but it's difficult for you to convince the child that there is nothing to fear in the dark but (to quote a brilliant president) but fear itself which is what is going on with a lot of you.

Let's look at some facts:

- What you're worried about is properly too rigid and unrealistic
    - The physical sensations are being interpreted by you as anxiety when in fact it could well be another emotion (when I'm excited I get sweaty palms and recently when I'm excited it immeditately converts to anxiety - wrong thinking, bud!)

Try to challenge your worries in very logical, factual terms. You'll still feel anxious afterward, but that's because it's a primitive chemical that will stay in your system for awhile. Ignore it and realise that like every emotion it is not going to be with you forever. Anxiety is an emotion as well as a physical sensation. It CAN'T stay forever but it can be persistant in how often it comes, like depression. So basically put up with it and get yourselves to a CBT. Seriously, don't bother with meds.

I will always have GAD. No big deal. Why would it be? I'm a worrier. So what? From now on, when it becomes a problem, I'll spend a day going over my CBT training and re-evaluate the situation. I will relapse, maybe even today! But I know how to work through it efficiently and productively.

Guys, all meds do is give you a chance to realise that there is nothing to be anxious about by dampening your emotions. They work, but you can do this through challenging yourself. My big thing was have Cerax in my pocket at all times. Yesterday I had an interview for a big job and I wanted to have my Cerax with me - but i didn't. Yes, I got anxious at the interview, I blushed, sweated and may have came across as a bit nervous... Big friggin deal! I'm sure most other people were even more nervous. Doubt the boss even realised. Get rid of your safety behaviours!

how can you say dont bother with meds when you take them yourself :-)

stop trying to come off the meds, it will only increase your anxiety. stay on them for as long as you need tem

But I don't want to stay on them forever. I was doing really great, that why I started to lower my dose. Actually your comment here kinda struck a chord with me, maybe the reasson I've been feeling so low lately is because of fear of coming off them. I'm making myself feel like this so I feel I can't stop taking them, when maybe I can, if this makes any sense!
    When did it all start for you guys? I've felt like this for as long as I can remember. I know I've felt like this since I was 11 I'm not sure whether it goes further back or not. Of course I didn't know what it was until a few years ago. People used to think i was quiet or shy or just a bit strange. I guess it's easier to deal with now that i know what it is. In a way.

I guess I was always pretty low and distant when I was a teenager but I thought that was how teenagers are. I didnt get help till I moved away to college and I thought there must be a medical reason for why I never could get out of bed or have the energy to go to class or do anything. When the doctor started asking questions about my family and feeling and stuff I didn't really know why. But I do feel more in control knowing that this isn't how I have to be and that there are things I can do to feel better

When did it all start for you guys?

I got a full blown panic attack shortly after I turned 18 and have pretty much been like this forever since.
    I guess I was always pretty low and distant when I was a teenager but I thought that was how teenagers are.

I was the very same. Back then I could mingle with people grand when out and about but when I'd head home the doom and gloom would seep in.

how can you say dont bother with meds when you take them yourself :-)

You're misinterpreting what I said, maybe I was unclear. I liked to have Cerax WITH me (in my pocket) but I have a month's perscription in my drawer and I've taken none of it - so no, I don't take meds. Also, I'm more talking about anti-depressants which can be hugely effective, but you can get the same results with some work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You're misinterpreting what I said, maybe I was unclear. I liked to have Cerax WITH me (in my pocket) but I have a month's perscription in my drawer and I've taken none of it - so no, I don't take meds. Also, I'm more talking about anti-depressants which can be hugely effective, but you can get the same results with some work.

Not all people can get the same results "with some work". Some people who suffer from depression actually need to take medication due to an imbalance in the brain. It is really wrong to suggest anyone should stop taking medication. Plus, in a lot of cases, over-coming depression is due to both therapy and medication. Sometimes the medication can up your mood, or balance your mood and so enable you to do that little bit of work you need to do to feel better.

Novella wrote: »
    Not all people can get the same results "with some work". Some people who suffer from depression actually need to take medication due to an imbalance in the brain. It is really wrong to suggest anyone should stop taking medication. Plus, in a lot of cases, over-coming depression is due to both therapy and medication. Sometimes the medication can up your mood, or balance your mood and so enable you to do that little bit of work you need to do to feel better.

exactly. they go hand in hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi guys, first time posting in this thread so I guess I'll introduce myself first (sorry if this is all a bit long).

I'm Katie, 20, and had a pretty ****ty year (I was living in Italy studying a course I hated, and had a very small support network over there, had some relationship issues with my boyfriend who I'm living with over there, my grandad developed cancer, my dad who's diabetic isn't taking care of himself to the point where he was in one car crash due to fatigue, and hospitalised twice due to infected feet, and my parents are divorcing, and I have other issues from my childhood etc). I went to my GP at the start of the summer when I returned from Italy, thinking that the contraeceptive pill I had started had ****ed up my moods, or that I'd developed diabetes, or cancer or something awful, only to be diagnosed with moderate depression (and stress induced IBS). It was a big shock in itself, and I was in denial for a week or so, not wanting to take the meds (Lexapro), trying to convince myself I didn't need counselling.

Now, whether it's a case of the medication working, having the chance to reflect on and take stock of my life, voice resentment against my family, exercise, whatever, I don't know, but I do know that I feel miles better since I was diagnosed in July. I've decided to drop out of that course, move back to Turin with my boyfriend work part time as an english teacher, and study part time for a degree in Art Design with the Open University. At the advice of my counseller I want to stay on the Lexapro till next summer at least (the rule about taking it for as long as you've been feeling ****ty to get your brain chemistry back to normal levels, then take it for another 2-3 months to give you a little boost beyond normal, then wean off).

My question is this: As I'll be over there in Italy until Christmas I wanted to get at least a 4 month supply to bring with me, but my Mum told me that to be covered by the DPS I have to fill the prescription once per month. Is there some way to get the prescription filled whilst I'm over in Turin in an Italian pharmacy to be covered by the DPS? Can I get my doctor to write me a note to let me get a 4 month supply under the DPS? As I'm taking 10mg at the moment, could my GP give me a 40mg prescription and I could split the pills myself? Could my mum fill out my prescription, and then send the medication over to me? I'm asking because I'm due to go back on the 21st of September, and I don't have the 200 euro free to pay for the Lexapro up front. Generic meds bought online would be bad news, I'm assuming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

kaki wrote: »
    Hi guys, first time posting in this thread so I guess I'll introduce myself first (sorry if this is all a bit long).

I'm Katie, 20, and had a pretty ****ty year (I was living in Italy studying a course I hated, and had a very small support network over there, had some relationship issues with my boyfriend who I'm living with over there, my grandad developed cancer, my dad who's diabetic isn't taking care of himself to the point where he was in one car crash due to fatigue, and hospitalised twice due to infected feet, and my parents are divorcing, and I have other issues from my childhood etc). I went to my GP at the start of the summer when I returned from Italy, thinking that the contraeceptive pill I had started had ****ed up my moods, or that I'd developed diabetes, or cancer or something awful, only to be diagnosed with moderate depression (and stress induced IBS). It was a big shock in itself, and I was in denial for a week or so, not wanting to take the meds (Lexapro), trying to convince myself I didn't need counselling.

Now, whether it's a case of the medication working, having the chance to reflect on and take stock of my life, voice resentment against my family, exercise, whatever, I don't know, but I do know that I feel miles better since I was diagnosed in July. I've decided to drop out of that course, move back to Turin with my boyfriend work part time as an english teacher, and study part time for a degree in Art Design with the Open University. At the advice of my counseller I want to stay on the Lexapro till next summer at least (the rule about taking it for as long as you've been feeling ****ty to get your brain chemistry back to normal levels, then take it for another 2-3 months to give you a little boost beyond normal, then wean off).

My question is this: As I'll be over there in Italy until Christmas I wanted to get at least a 4 month supply to bring with me, but my Mum told me that to be covered by the DPS I have to fill the prescription once per month. Is there some way to get the prescription filled whilst I'm over in Turin in an Italian pharmacy to be covered by the DPS? Can I get my doctor to write me a note to let me get a 4 month supply under the DPS? As I'm taking 10mg at the moment, could my GP give me a 40mg prescription and I could split the pills myself? Could my mum fill out my prescription, and then send the medication over to me? I'm asking because I'm due to go back on the 21st of September, and I don't have the 200 euro free to pay for the Lexapro up front. Generic meds bought online would be bad news, I'm assuming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe it would be above board and legal for your mother to change the script and have them posted to you. However, I would suggest you find out about getting them over there as it may be cheper to do so. I know a lot of people who get all their meds in Spain, as its much cheaper. I would imagine it would be the same in Italy.

Best of luck with your therapy.

I've had a horribly rough few weeks. For a time last night I felt so sh!t I had really just given up. Other people make me feel this way.

I've had to find a house to live in. Move all my stuff. Deal with not living with my ex anymore. Try to make an effort with my new housemate. Deal with a major problem with new housemate. The most hurtful thing has been realising someone has been a prick to me and been lying to me, someone that I kinda liked. He's made me feel like I'm worthless. 'i'm not ready for a relationship' and then talks about a girl he wanted to get the number of. What exactly is so wrong with my personality that makes me not girlfriend material.

I've had a very stressful time with the dentist, and then having to confront my housemate gave me a pain in my heart. And now that that's all been dealt with I still have to face finding another new place to live, and trying to pick myself up yet again after being treated like a piece of sh!t by yet another person.

On top of all this I am constantly aware and brought down by the fact that there's something wrong with me that means I just can't get on with people and I am probably never going to have friends.

I had a moment last night where I thought this really is it, I've got nothing. And i don't know what it is that has got me even able to stop crying for long enough that I can write this and watch tv, and get on with things, but I don't expect it will last long.

I'm feeling a lot of pressure to go back to work off my family but I just can't face going back there. All this sh!t will just end up happening again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement