Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Options
  • 30-08-2015 11:17am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reported today in the Sunday Times that RTE and Sky have reached a new carriage agreement that would mean:

The launch of RTE One HD and the RTE Player on Sky
    The launch of RTE stations on Sky Go.

Apparently to be announced shortly. May include some RTE content in the UK.
    Given News Corp's former ties to Sky UK, we can assume the report is pretty accurate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

icdg wrote: »
    Reported today in the Sunday Times that RTE and Sky have reached a new carriage agreement that would mean:

The launch of RTE One HD and the RTE Player on Sky
    The launch of RTE stations on Sky Go.

Apparently to be announced shortly. May include some RTE content in the UK.

Haven't read the time yet. Does it mention money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

About time for the rte player
    They've been talking about that for five years or more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

This is great news. The absence of RTE1 HD is a major gap in the Sky offering. RTE player, meh, grand.

Personally I'm hoping for RTE Gold to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

ftakeith wrote: »

Is there a piece of that article missing ? I can't see where it says about RTE1 HD going on Sky ? Apologies if I'm blind !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is there a piece of that article missing ? I can't see where it says about RTE1 HD going on Sky ? Apologies if I'm blind !

You have to pay for Sky and for the Sunday Times. Nothing from them is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I'd say a large part of this is to do with launch of Sky's new box, SkyQ (not a confirmed name I think), which has a lot more focus on on demand etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

galtee boy wrote: »

Yeah it's behind a paywall but print version says HD will be available.

Yeah it's behind a paywall but print version says HD will be available.

Thanks for that. Great news, in particular about RTE1 HD, that's long overdue on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

What about AERTEL ?

They've been saying it's launching on Sky for years . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Great News :)

Those of you who can scan the transponders for tests, please post here as soon as you spot the tests for RTE1 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Any word in Sunday Times article of RTE News Now launching on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

brick man wrote: »
    Any word in Sunday Times article of RTE News Now launching on sky?

No mention of it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It'd be great to have the RTE player on Sky....long overdue.

vienne86 wrote: »
    It'd be great to have the RTE player on Sky....long overdue.

And RTE Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Is carriage of TG4 HD a separate matter?

Is carriage of TG4 HD a separate matter?
    I would assume that's a matter for agreement between TG4 and sky.

so maybe 2016 from the below statement for changes to RTE on sky

Forwarded by 01:39PM
    To:
    Date: 09/01/2015 01:24PM
    Subject: RE: RTE Player on Sky

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately there is no information at present on RTE 1 HD or RTE Player going on the SKY platform at the moment. Similarly neither RTE News Now and RTE 1 + 1 are on the SKY platform.

Sky manages their own platform (including the satellites, infrastructure and EPG). Sky has carriage agreements with channels that are on the Sky platform and they then retail those channels - in bundles - to consumers. For channels that are on the Sky platform there will be a carriage agreement in place between Sky and the broadcaster and that would have been the matter for commercial discussion between both parties.

In respect of what channels Sky provides, or doesn't provide, on the Sky platform - including HD channels - then it is best to contact Sky. Reasons for non-carriage of some channels on Sky could include technical, rights and / or commercial - could be different for each broadcaster.

Please contact Saorview directly at http://www.saorview.ie/contact/ with regards to your query on 'Saorview Connected'.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Best wishes,

RTÉ Information Office

RTÉ or Sky hasn't announced the deal yet so they will of course give their standard response on the channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Don't see what all the excitement is about it should be free to air in Ireland.

Don't see what all the excitement is about it should be free to air in Ireland.

it is 98% in saorview areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Expect it to be announced shortly before Christmas with a price increase in January so they can say what great value all the additional stuff is for only a few euro more:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

If there was ever any content actually in HD on RTE1 HD it would be worth having-as it stands now its just a DOG in the corner of the screen. Same with RTE2 HD, all they ever show in HD is GAA and champions league/international matches.

I can't figure why any movies they show are showin in SD even though the HD versions are the standard!

Slightly off topic, TV3 are the same, with the bonus of Ireland AM in HD!

I'm sure someone will say there is loads of stuff in HD, they just don't mark it as HD on the EPG!

Widescreen wrote: »
    If there was ever any content actually in HD on RTE1 HD it would be worth having-as it stands now its just a DOG in the corner of the screen. Same with RTE2 HD, all they ever show in HD is GAA and champions league/international matches.

I can't figure why any movies they show are showin in SD even though the HD versions are the standard!

Slightly off topic, TV3 are the same, with the bonus of Ireland AM in HD!

I'm sure someone will say there is loads of stuff in HD, they just don't mark it as HD on the EPG!

You're right, but even upscaled is way better than SD. I hope RTE1 HD appears soon, so that we can get the most out of the autumn/ winter schedules. Some good stuff coming up and even upscaled would be a big bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Tomorrow's nights movie on one is in HD as advertised as is six one. Nine news nationwide and garda down under at 8.30. The late late is been advertised for Friday night in HD as all the main studios have been upgraded for HD the last been studio 3 the news studio. There is a lot more programmes in HD only RTE seem to have a problem saying so on epg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

brick man wrote: »
    Tomorrow's nights movie on one is in HD as advertised as is six one. Nine news nationwide and garda down under at 8.30. The late late is been advertised for Friday night in HD as all the main studios have been upgraded for HD the last been studio 3 the news studio. There is a lot more programmes in HD only RTE seem to have a problem saying so on epg

If it's not on the EPG then it is not HD. Did you not know this?

In reality of course anybody who can see the difference between HD and upscaled conetent will know that there is plenty in HD even if the EPG says otherwise.

We could see this officially announced with this agreement - RTÉ to provide an Irish language stream on sky for GAA games alongside the English commentators.. the second "Irish" audio stream was being tested on RTÉ2 a few months back.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-reveals-new-scheme-to-promote-irish-language-31496134.html
    Bilingual All-Ireland commentaries and a new Irish-language radio service for young people could take to the airwaves as part of a new RTÉ scheme for promoting Irish.

The national broadcaster’s Irish Language Action Plan was launched on Monday and features 93 recommendations to increase its Irish output.

It is hoped that the proposals, which include bilingual bulletins on 2FM and Irish options on RTÉ Player, will be implemented over the next five years.

As part of the plan, viewers will be able to access Irish-language commentaries for this year’s All-Ireland matches by choosing the Irish language option on their Saorview or Sky set top boxes. It is the first time that GAA fans will be able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It would be great if TG4 would do the same for their sports coverage.

• Advertisement

Hope they add the saorview extra Rte radio stations such as Rte Gold to the Sky epg as well.

Advertisement