Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FODMAP ingredients in Dublin?

Options
  • 20-08-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

A relative has started on a low FODMAP diet, and it's proving hard to find some of the recipe ingredients in the normal supermarkets.

Any tips for a supermarket/shop to get as many of these as possible at the best price? Ideally in town, or on the northside. Happy to buy from a website too, just not sure of vendors.

In no particular order...

Canola oil
    Tapioca flour
    Soy flour
    white rice flour
    Xantham gum
    Chestnut meal
    Gluten free baking powder

While on the topic, any other FODMAP advice, good or bad experiences, are welcome. It's all a bit new, certainly worth testing, but unsure about how great it might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

edanto wrote: »
    A relative has started on a low FODMAP diet, and it's proving hard to find some of the recipe ingredients in the normal supermarkets.

Any tips for a supermarket/shop to get as many of these as possible at the best price? Ideally in town, or on the northside. Happy to buy from a website too, just not sure of vendors.

In no particular order...

Canola oil
    Tapioca flour
    Soy flour
    white rice flour
    Xantham gum
    Chestnut meal
    Gluten free baking powder

While on the topic, any other FODMAP advice, good or bad experiences, are welcome. It's all a bit new, certainly worth testing, but unsure about how great it might be.

I've no personal experience but i may have to do it soon as i'm having some digestion issues and i can't pinpoint what's causing it by myself.

Canola oil is called rapeseed oil here I think. The other ingredients should be available from Holland and Barratt's. Just don't buy too much as it's really only a temporary diet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm pretty sure i got this in tesco or super valu
    No xanthan gum required but i only make sweet baking not bread so don't listen to me if it's bread
    https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/biscuits-and-cookies/gluten-free/gluten-free-plain-white-flour-1kg/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure i got this in tesco or super valu
    No xanthan gum required but i only make sweet baking not bread so don't listen to me if it's bread
    https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/biscuits-and-cookies/gluten-free/gluten-free-plain-white-flour-1kg/

Yep you can definitely get it in tesco you'll find it in the healthy eating aisle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Xanthan Gum can usually be found in health food shops, I used to get it from the Hopsack in Rathmines Swan Centre.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Careful with Xanthan gum, not fodmap friendly in my experience!

A lot of things that are marked as low fodmap might be reactive to some, so be careful, for example oranges are listed as low, but they do contain some polyols, so depending how sensitive your relative is, they might be best excluded.

Soy flour is only allowed in small amounts also.

Canola oil is just the american term for rapeseed oil, very common, but tbh there's nothing special about it as all oils are naturally fodmap free. So coconut oil, butter etc are also fine.

Tapioca flour can be bought in ethnic food shops and health food shops (way cheaper in ethnic food shops in my experience)

I'm presuming from the list of ingredients that she's trying to make a good low fodmap bread. TBH most of these efforts are disappointing and are nothing like the real thing, leading you to feel more deprived. I just stick with rice crackers myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement