Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benecol & other cholesterol lowering products

• 11-08-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

Hey all

My cholesterol level is 5.6 - a wee bit above normal. I eat a lot of red meat and probably too many take aways, so my plan is to cut out the red meat for awhile, cut back on the take away and drink some of those benecol yogurts. Just wondered has anyone tried these and if they are any good? Hate wasting money on 'health products' that don't do much...

Any tips welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Keep eating meat and cut sugar and other fast processing carbs out of your diet. Less takeaways is a good idea. If you really want to improve your health never touch another fizzy drink, utterly pointless product that's guaranteed to have a negative effect. Do some regular exercise. Forget gimmicky yoghurts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Easiest way to normalise cholesterol in order of effectiveness:

1. If you're overweight lose weight
    2. Engage in regular exercise (even just a regular walk if your sedentary)
    3. If you smoke, quit
    4. Cut down on alcohol, your body regulates your cholesterol through receptors in your liver, if your busying your liver with detoxifying alcohol, then it will do a bad job at regulating cholesterol

I'm deeply skeptical of plant sterols as although they lower cholesterol so do lots of other things that aren't good for you, like infections. There is zero evidence they actually prevent heart attacks or heart disease or stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Easiest way to normalise cholesterol in order of effectiveness:

1. If you're overweight lose weight
    2. Engage in regular exercise (even just a regular walk if your sedentary)
    3. If you smoke, quit
    4. Cut down on alcohol, your body regulates your cholesterol through receptors in your liver, if your busying your liver with detoxifying alcohol, then it will do a bad job at regulating cholesterol

I'm deeply skeptical of plant sterols as although they lower cholesterol so do lots of other things that aren't good for you, like infections. There is zero evidence they actually prevent heart attacks or heart disease or stroke.

I am overweight but I've lost half a stone of late so that's in focus. I go to the gym three times a week and I don't smoke or drink so at least there's that.

I'm gonna give the benecol a go for a month or two and see where my cholesterol is at then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

*asks about Benecol*
    *two posters say it's a waste of time*
    *decides to get Benecol*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Monokne wrote: »
    I am overweight but I've lost half a stone of late so that's in focus. I go to the gym three times a week and I don't smoke or drink so at least there's that.

I'm gonna give the benecol daily porridge and flax seeds a go for a month or two and see where my cholesterol is at then.

Better. :)

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Better. :)

I eat porridge every day brother :)

The wife's a nurse and she reckons Benecol is worth a go :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A family members gp recommended benecol to her. Said its better than the other brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I eat porridge every day brother :)

The wife's a nurse and she reckons Benecol is worth a go :cool:

Would it not be better to see what effect the other nutritional and lifestyle changes have first?

Otehrwise what will happen is you'll do those, take Benecol and any positive changes will be attributed to the Benecol when it might have made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

Or he could do it the other way around.
    Carry on as normal, take benecol for a month, see what effect it has - and report back.

If all he wants to do, all other things being equal, is reduce his cholesterol, and Benecol is proven to reduce cholesterol, then surely it is an obvious relatively cheap and easy thing to try.

He might want to check his levels of good/bad cholesterol before he starts getting worried about it though. Could save himself the best part of 20 euro on a months benecol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Carry on as normal, take benecol for a month, see what effect it has - and report back.

If all he wants to do, all other things being equal, is reduce his cholesterol, and Benecol is proven to reduce cholesterol, then surely it is an obvious relatively cheap and easy thing to try.

He might want to check his levels of good/bad cholesterol before he starts getting worried about it though. Could save himself the best part of 20 euro on a months benecol.

The alternative lifestyle changes, which the OP has decided to undertake, are free.

Why start spending money on a solution when it might not be required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

There is no need to lower your cholesterol levels. You only need to have HDL and LDL at close level.
    Read about the "Cholesterol myth" in google.
    World Health Organisation has also change its guidelines.
    Also the American Heart Association filled a new study on July 2015 with new guidelines.
    Cholesterol products and medicine make a $20bn turnover per year. It is pretty easy to understand why they wanted us to give so much attention to its levels.

My Dad and Grandad died in their forties and fifties of heart attacks so in spite of the fact that it's not an immediate major issue (I'm 31), I just want it lowered and fast, it makes me very anxious. Once it's lower I can try dropping the benecol & see where I'm at.

My Dad and Grandad died in their forties and fifties of heart attacks so in spite of the fact that it's not an immediate major issue (I'm 31), I just want it lowered and fast, it makes me very anxious. Once it's lower I can try dropping the benecol & see where I'm at.

Just as long as you know that there have been a few studies examining phytosterols (benecol and the like) and actual heart attacks (as opposed to cholesterol) and none of them found it prevented heart disease, in fact two that I know of showed a slight increased risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

OP - you would be better off reading The Cholesterol Myth or The Big Fat Surprise books or find information online. Start with this video by an Irish engineer - ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuj6nxCDBZ0 As already mentioned, cholesterol is big business and lowering it isn't necessarily going to make you healthier.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

So called healthy cholesterol levels were pullled out of thin air. Check out this book, Doctoring Data: How to sort out medical advice from medical nonsense.

Also google statins, enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Zillah wrote: »
    Keep eating meat and cut sugar and other fast processing carbs out of your diet. Less takeaways is a good idea. If you really want to improve your health never touch another fizzy drink, utterly pointless product that's guaranteed to have a negative effect. Do some regular exercise. Forget gimmicky yoghurts.

This. You were given the best advice in the first 2 replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Wizard! wrote: »
    There is no need to lower your cholesterol levels. You only need to have HDL and LDL at close level.
    Read about the "Cholesterol myth" in google.
    World Health Organisation has also change its guidelines.
    Also the American Heart Association filled a new study on July 2015 with new guidelines.
    Cholesterol products and medicine make a $20bn turnover per year. It is pretty easy to understand why they wanted us to give so much attention to its levels.

What level is that, please?

nuac wrote: »
    What level is that, please?

I know you didn't ask me but the most consistent predictor of heart disease that we have is the Total:HDL cholesterol ratio. Divide your total by HDL and the value should be less than 3.5 for a low risk of heart disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I know you didn't ask me but the most consistent predictor of heart disease that we have is the Total:HDL cholesterol ratio. Divide your total by HDL and the value should be less than 3.5 for a low risk of heart disease.

Particle count (ApoB), oxidised LDL level among others maybe better indicators but no one checks here.

HDL/TRI ratio is often quoted also

ford2600 wrote: »
    Particle count (ApoB), oxidised LDL level among others maybe better indicators but no one checks here.

HDL/TRI ratio is often quoted also

ApoB and oxLDL are promising new biomarkers but we don't have dozens of huge studies with thousands of people on them yet like we do with the ratios. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭the goon

Just thought I would put my story up here. Did blood tests in August 14, assumed doctor would call me if anything out of the order. My own fault for making this assumption but when I went back to him in May 15 with a minor issue, he told me that my bloods showed total of 6.2 and LDL of 3.9.
    As a 36 year old who exercises 4-5 times weekly, is not over weight and quit smoking 5 years ago, I got quite a shock. I had my bloods done 2 years previous and all ok.

Anyway, I cut out most dairy, went on the almond milk, cut back on alcohol and started on the benecol/ fish oils and apple cider vinegar, went low GI and increased fruit/nut intact (which was already pretty good). Long story short, cholesterol is now 5.4 and LDL has gone from 3.9-3.4.

Obviously it is still high and I have to work on it, but at least for my own peace of mind it seems to be going the right direction. I haven't a notion which if any are making the difference. I also think I need to point out that I find my job stressful and in August 14 when I did first bloods, I was particularly stressed out. I added yoga to exercise routine in July and really feel that has had a positive impact.

So, you did everything right, you cut foods that are essential to your body, and LDL levels remain high. Now you have to start eating some chemical stuff and add up to that $20bh thievery industry.

Food income is responsible for 10-15% of LDL levels. The rest has to do with stress. LDL is essential for your brain.
    Start reading all the new medical researches and stop taking advice from doctors with obsolete knowledge.

Maybe I should have said "cut back" instead of "cut out" when referring to dairy.Still eat cheese, cream but have cut back. I would say I have augmented my diet and for the most point it is better now than before. Obviously this is in part due to a heightened since of awareness re my cholesterol.
    I have no agenda here, nor am I pro/against anything, I simply put up my experience for the OP. I take advice from my doctor because I believe them to be a healthcare professional. I also believe my doctor has my best interest at heart. That said I try to be objective about these things. I intend to continue as I have and go back in 6 months for more bloods. At that point I am hoping they will be down further and I will go about removing the benecol from my diet and see what impact it has.

As I said, my point here is simply to let the OP know my experience.

the goon wrote: »
    I take advice from my doctor because I believe them to be a healthcare professional.
    True. Do you think those doctors are helthcare professionals also?
    Cause it happens to have a different opinion from your doctor.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Understanding-the-New-Guidelines_UCM_458155_Article.jsp

Once again, I'm not taking a stance on anything. I'm not pro/against anything. Simply relaying my experience to date and what I have done as impartially as possible. My doctor has not prescribed statins and was very much in favour of trying to bring my cholesterol down without medication. I also am keen to avoid using them.

As I said in my original post, I made a combination of changes, I don't know if it was any of them in particular or at all which made a difference and I agree that stress is most likely a contributing factor in my case.

I am not a pro either. However, we need to reevaluate some things in our lives that were taken for granted until yesterday. They suggest to eat processed food (cereals, benecol, margarine, light products, etc) to be fit and healthy, however the obesity levels have rise dramatically since 1970s, where this "hype" started. They convinced us that eggs and bacon are bad for our health, and recently they were proved wrong (of course any excessive usage is bad!).
    Unfortunately for them, internet gave access to information previously not available to the masses. So, intelligent people read for themselves and do not need others to tell them what to do, or eat. (No personal offence here, since you seem intelligent, I suggest that you read for yourself)
    A classic example of those widely spread myths:
    Left: 1984, Right: 2014
    photo-2.jpg

the goon wrote: »
    Just thought I would put my story up here. Did blood tests in August 14, assumed doctor would call me if anything out of the order. My own fault for making this assumption but when I went back to him in May 15 with a minor issue, he told me that my bloods showed total of 6.2 and LDL of 3.9.
    As a 36 year old who exercises 4-5 times weekly, is not over weight and quit smoking 5 years ago, I got quite a shock. I had my bloods done 2 years previous and all ok.

Anyway, I cut out most dairy, went on the almond milk, cut back on alcohol and started on the benecol/ fish oils and apple cider vinegar, went low GI and increased fruit/nut intact (which was already pretty good). Long story short, cholesterol is now 5.4 and LDL has gone from 3.9-3.4.

Obviously it is still high and I have to work on it, but at least for my own peace of mind it seems to be going the right direction. I haven't a notion which if any are making the difference. I also think I need to point out that I find my job stressful and in August 14 when I did first bloods, I was particularly stressed out. I added yoga to exercise routine in July and really feel that has had a positive impact.

Thanks for posting this, I found it helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not being overweight doesn't really have much to do with how healthy you are alone. Don't be worrying about benecol and all that crap. Eat healthily... eat vegetables, don't eat crap processed stuff and it will take care of itself. Cook more for yourself. It's a good feeling when the doc looks at your blood results and is muttering away "beautiful....beautiful".

Advertisement