Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my diet good ?

• 06-08-2015 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

BREAKFEAST

One of

. Fry with Fryed egg, 2 Quorn sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, 2 * slices of Irish pride slinsters bread toasted.
    . Bowel of shredies with milk
    . Fruit in fat free yogurt.

Lunch
    . Pasta in passesta sauce, with a big salad.
    . 3/4 piece of fruit

Dinner

.Pasta in passesta sauce, with a big salad.
    . Baked potatoes with monzerella cheese, salad and beans.
    . Risotto and salad
    . Mushy pea curry
    . Chile with Quorn mince

Snacks

Fruit
    Low fat yogurt
    100Kcal twix's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

This is just my opinion but it's full of sugar and heavy carbs. But that's just me. If the beans are baked beans in a tin i'd avoid them as you're getting sugars from the fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Very carb heavy.

What's the context for your question? Lose/gain/maintain weight etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Good: decent amount of fruit and veg, so lots of micronutrients and fibre
    Bad: too much carbs, not enough fat, not enough good protein sources (some days it seems like you only get protein at breakfast!)

Forget fat free yoghurt, they just take out the fat (which you want in your diet) and add sugar (which you don't want in your diet).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mary Horgan

I take it your vegetarian. In my experience quorn is not a good source of protein. For several years I ate it as part of my main meal, recently I switched to lentils, mainly out lentils and I've lost weight but not muscle. I quit quorn because it is a processed food. Maybe worth a try for you. Mary
    BREAKFEAST

One of

. Fry with Fryed egg, 2 Quorn sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, 2 * slices of Irish pride slinsters bread toasted.

Lunch
    . 3/4 piece of fruit

Dinner

. Risotto and salad
    . Mushy pea curry
    . Chile with Quorn mince

Snacks

Fruit
    Low fat yogurt
    100Kcal twix's

I take it your vegetarian. In my experience quorn is not a good source of protein. For several years I ate it as part of my main meal, recently I switched to lentils, mainly out lentils and I've lost weight but not muscle. I quit quorn because it is a processed food. Maybe worth a try for you. Mary
    BREAKFEAST

One of

Lunch
    . 3/4 piece of fruit

Dinner

. Risotto and salad
    . Mushy pea curry
    . Chile with Quorn mince

Snacks

Fruit
    Low fat yogurt
    100Kcal twix's

• Advertisement

My previous post should read 'puy lentils' typo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

To some extent it depends on what you are asking your body to do with this fuel as to how good or bad the diet is. Generally speaking, for what its worth, I would suggest:
    • Switch the low fat yogurt to regular yogurt - as other above have said, low fat is just full of sugar.
    • I am not sure of the sugar content of shreddies but a lot of breakfast cereals are high in sugar so maybe check - porridge is always a great choice and aside from being eaten hot with whatever nuts, seeds and/or fruit you have handy can also be used as base for pancakes, or mixed in with milk and yogurt for a cold breakfast.
    • When you are having the fry, boiled, poached or scrambled eggs might be better, always feel like fried eggs are super greasy but that might be just the way I cook them.
    • Aside from the salads mentioned, most of your '5 a day' seems to come from fruit rather than veg. Afaik it is better to eat more veg than fruit as veg will generally have more complex carbs and less sugar than fruit, so try and re-balance the ratio.
    • You also seem a little low on protein - there are lots of veggie alternatives without resorting to processed quorn products although I know they are handy in a pinch.
    • What about adding some snacks such as handful of nuts; hummus and veg sticks; nut butter and corn cakes/crackers/veg sticks or similar
    • Ditch the twixs if they are part of the weekly shop and have them as an occasional treat where you have to actually decide you want one, and walk to the shop to get it - you'll end up eating less of them than if you have them to hand.

Tell us how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

OP here,

I just want to comment on the criticism my diet is getting.

I have been eating like this for the past 9 months, and i have lost 2 and a half stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

OP here,

I have been eating like this for the past 9 months, and i have lost 2 and a half stone.

Losing weight does not necessarily mean the diet is healthy. To me looks like too many carbs and lacking protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

OP here,

Why did you ask if it was good if you were going to complain about constructive criticism? Did you just want validation?

There's another thread which is about if you can lose weight while eating crap. According to that thread a person can eat nothing but rubbish and as long as they stay within their daily calories you'd lose weight...but they wouldn't be healthy obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What goes into a mushy pea curry?
    Work out how much protein you need for your weight/lifestyle and just get that. Add something like avocado for fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

BREAKFEAST

One of

Lunch
    . 3/4 piece of fruit

Dinner

. Risotto and salad
    . Mushy pea curry
    . Chile with Quorn mince

Snacks

Fruit
    Low fat yogurt
    100Kcal twix's
    So you have gone from 20stone to 17s 5 fair play to ya.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    So you have gone from 20stone to 17s 5 fair play to ya.

Where did you get 20 from

I went from 15.7 to 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

BREAKFEAST

One of

Lunch
    . 3/4 piece of fruit

Dinner

. Risotto and salad
    . Mushy pea curry
    . Chile with Quorn mince

Snacks

Fruit
    Low fat yogurt
    100Kcal twix's

I'd say you are eating way to many carbs.

The Real Meal Revolution is an excellent book to follow to quit processed food and to stop eating carbs.

I'd say you are eating way to many carbs.

The Real Meal Revolution is an excellent book to follow to quit processed food and to stop eating carbs.

Well I'm on slimming world which is a high carb, low fat/suger diet.

Oh....

That book I recommended is for long term health......it's not really a slimming guide

Are you a man or a woman btw?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Isn't sugar one of the types of carbs?

Oh....

That book I recommended is for long term health......it's not really a slimming guide

Are you a man or a woman btw?

I'm a man :)

I'm a man :)

Would you try switch out the pasta and bread for protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Actually I've joined Slimming World recently, and was pleasantly surprised at the fact that it's a low-carb low-sugar lifestyle, which allows you to incorporate high-fats (within certain parameters) if you want to. It's certainly not high carb if followed properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You can tweak slimming world.

I follow slimming world and I agree with posters here, your diet is very high in carbs/sugar and very low in protein and fat.

SW recommends high protein as well as the high carbs, and low fat.

I've mentioned before in the SW thread that I don't agree with this approach as a lifestyle change.

So I ignore the fact that I'm 'allowed' as much pasta, potatoes and rice as I want. I load up on meat and veg and for good fats, I use my 15 syns on milk, butter, avocado, nut butter, etc.

So, I'm following slimming world, and my diet looks like this -

Breakfast: Two grilled bacon medallions (substitute for Quorn or tofu or whatever in your case), grilled tomato, poached egg, blanched mushrooms.

Lunch: Sandwich on wholemeal bread with chicken (I cook up a breast, not processed slices), cheese (healthy A) and lettuce.

Dinner: Chicken/pork/beef (one of them) grilled and served with a load of roasted veggies (carrot, parsnip, onion, turnip, cauliflower, broccoli, etc).

Using my 'syns' I snack on carrot sticks, avocado, peanut butter, have some extra milk, etc. I only use my syns for healthy fats.

It's easy to adapt SW to more nutritious approach and still lose weight.

Actually I've joined Slimming World recently, and was pleasantly surprised at the fact that it's a low-carb low-sugar lifestyle, which allows you to incorporate high-fats (within certain parameters) if you want to. It's certainly not high carb if followed properly.

It's not low sugar or low carb. You're allowed 1/3 plate of carbs with each meal.

As for low sugar - nope. You're allowed muller lights and other low fat yogurts, syn free. They're loaded with sugar. They also recommend eating a lot of fruit, more sugar.

As for low sugar - nope. You're allowed muller lights and other low fat yogurts, syn free. They're loaded with sugar.

If that's the case, then I recommend watching a movie/documentary called Fed Up. It's on Netflix. It's an eye opener.

No healthy diet contains limitless amounts of sugar.

If that's the case, then I recommend watching a movie/documentary called Fed Up. It's on Netflix. It's an eye opener.

No healthy diet contains limitless amounts of sugar.

I'll have a look at it during the week, thanks whoopsa. :)

I agree with you re: sugar. I don't touch any of the low fat stuff that SW allow you to eat. I try to avoid sugar tbh, as you can probably tell from my sample diet posted above.

For slimming world to be sustainable and a bit healthier, you need to tweak it to cut down on the carbs and sugar.

For slimming world to be sustainable and a bit healthier, you need to tweak it to cut down on the carbs and sugar.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of it then I'd have thought?

If you have to change the diet to make it healthy, what's the point of it?

Which kind of defeats the purpose of it then I'd have thought?

If you have to change the diet to make it healthy, what's the point of it?

No idea tbh. For me personally, I just agreed to go along with it with my sisters, that's my reason. In general though, I guess it's like any other weight loss class thing, you follow it because it does help to lose weight (although not necessarily be healthy) and the motivation comes from the weekly weigh in. That's only a theory though, I don't really know why others do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

spaceylou wrote: »
    • When you are having the fry, boiled, poached or scrambled eggs might be better, always feel like fried eggs are super greasy but that might be just the way I cook them.
    I think that's just the way you cook them tbh.
    A fried egg in a good pan, isn't significantly different to scrambled or what ever.
    I agree with the rest of your post.

That just means you are undereating, it doesn't mean you have a healthy diet.
    Being a vegetarian doesn't force you to focus on fruit/carbs/sugar and ignore protein/fat.
    The OP is very far from what I'd consider a healthy vegetarian diet.
    What goes into a mushy pea curry?
    Probably a tin of mushy peas, and a jar of curry in a lot of cases. :o
    Your OP is not low sugar.
    If might not have to be high carb if you actively avoid it. But the default diet for most people of SW is exactly that.
    The SW thread is blatantly evident of that.
    SW recommends high protein as well as the high carbs, and low fat.

I've mentioned before in the SW thread that I don't agree with this approach as a lifestyle change.

So I ignore the fact that I'm 'allowed' as much pasta, potatoes and rice as I want. I load up on meat and veg and for good fats, I use my 15 syns on milk, butter, avocado, nut butter, etc.

It's easy to adapt SW to more nutritious approach and still lose weight.
    That's all very good but if you are smart enough to make better choices on your own, ignore the unlimited pasta, add good fats etc. Then you don't need SW, and imo you aren't actually following SW anymore.

Mellor wrote: »

Being a vegetarian doesn't force you to focus on fruit/carbs/sugar and ignore protein/fat.

I'm not. I eat when ever I'm hungry.

I'm not. I eat when ever I'm hungry.
    I think you are misunderstanding me. By undereating, I mean eating less food than is required to sustained you activity. You must be, it's a basic requirement to losing weight. But if you do that you'll lose weight whether you are eating healthy or not, or if it's a balanced diet or not.

• Advertisement

That's all very good but if you are smart enough to make better choices on your own, ignore the unlimited pasta, add good fats etc. Then you don't need SW, and imo you aren't actually following SW anymore.

Yeah, I could have clarified what I meant a lot better tbh mate.

SW is a high carb, low fat diet. I do not agree with that approach, and didn't follow it that way when I joined. I joined because my sisters were at me to go with them :pac:

Now, according to the sw consultant, I was doing everything well, EXCEPT not eating enough 'free' foods, like potatoes, pasta, rice and fcuking Muller lights. I happily ignored that part.

I agree with everyone here that OP's diet is full of too much carbs and sugar and not enough fat and protein.

The thing about slimming world is that it's grand for weight loss and does work for weight loss. But that's just because by following their rules (1/3 veg with each meal, 1/3 protein, etc), you automatically put yourself at a calorie deficit comparative to the stuff you ate before.

But for health, nutrition and long term changes, nah. It's not healthy.

Just wanted to post a quick thank you to whoopsa.

Had a chance to watch Fed Up today. I knew the dietary aspects of sugar consumption (which is why I avoid it mostly!), but the political slant was really interesting to hear about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I think that's just the way you cook them tbh.
    A fried egg in a good pan, isn't significantly different to scrambled or what ever.
    I agree with the rest of your post.

The OP is very far from what I'd consider a healthy vegetarian diet.

Probably a tin of mushy peas, and a jar of curry in a lot of cases. :o

Your OP is not low sugar.

If might not have to be high carb if you actively avoid it. But the default diet for most people of SW is exactly that.
    The SW thread is blatantly evident of that.

The Slimming World thread reads like a cult at times but to be fair, it seems to work for people so who am I to judge? Anyone actively trying to lose weight deserves credit.

IMO though, you just need myfitnessapp and some motivation. It is a fairly simple science to lose weight if you're in the right frame of mind and calculating the numbers correctly. Easier said than done of course but the point is there isn't much to it when you break it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

OP here,

All that proves is that everything else being equal the diet you were on before was worse than the diet your on now. Eventually you weight loss will stop and you will be taking the advice you were given here.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The Slimming World thread reads like a cult at times but to be fair, it seems to work for people so who am I to judge? Anyone actively trying to lose weight deserves credit.

True, but a lot of people appear to follow that diet for a long time, with no real plan for when they return to normal eating.

Advertisement