Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving Up Sugar - What to Eat?

• 03-09-2015 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind giving it a good go of giving up sugar, or ave at the very least a tiny amount per week.

It seems sugar is in absolutely everything these days, what are some examples of what you could eat?

For example, I had salmon, potatoes, peas and carrots last night - knowing these days there was probably sugar in there somewhere :P

A guy I know gave up sugar for around a month and he said he felt fantastic after the first couple of weeks, with proper energy, and lost a good bit of weight. He also said proper foods started to taste better.

How hard is it to actually give up sugar and what exactly could you start eating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Just try and eat less processed foods like bread, pasta and cereals. Then stay away from junk like crisps and chocolate and you will feel a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

What kind of cereals?

Are they not flooded with sugars, normally..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

chops018 wrote: »
    What kind of cereals?

Are they not flooded with sugars, normally..

He's saying not to eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Sugar in potatoes, carrots, salmon and peas? Am I missing something. I thought I was doing good giving up cakes/sweets/chocolate/jams/sugary yogurts and eating sugar free chocolate and using xylitol as a sugar substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I wouldn't mind giving it a good go of giving up sugar, or ave at the very least a tiny amount per week.

It seems sugar is in absolutely everything these days, what are some examples of what you could eat?

For example, I had salmon, potatoes, peas and carrots last night - knowing these days there was probably sugar in there somewhere :P

A guy I know gave up sugar for around a month and he said he felt fantastic after the first couple of weeks, with proper energy, and lost a good bit of weight. He also said proper foods started to taste better.

How hard is it to actually give up sugar and what exactly could you start eating?

Try eating chops.

There is sugar in practically everything. The meal you mention above probably has a fair bit of sugar but at least it is natural if the veg are not processed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

[QUOTE=chops018;96866096...

How hard is it to actually give up sugar and what exactly could you start eating?[/QUOTE]

You haven't said what sources of sugar you are currently consuming.

Are you giving up adding sugar to your food and drinks? Just get used to not having sugar in your tea/coffee.

Are you giving up processed foods with added sugars - cook these foods from scratch yourself and dont add sugar.

Are you giving up or cutting down on fruit and veg that contain their own sugar? Just eat sensible amounts each day.

You haven't said what sources of sugar you are currently consuming.

Are you giving up adding sugar to your food and drinks? Just get used to not having sugar in your tea/coffee.

Are you giving up processed foods with added sugars - cook these foods from scratch yourself and dont add sugar.

Are you giving up or cutting down on fruit and veg that contain their own sugar? Just eat sensible amounts each day.

I would probably be changing 90% of my diet. But I've heard people who drastically cut sugar from their diet saying they feel much better after a couple of weeks.

I suppose my diet is something like this:

Morning: - cereal (granola or bran), or eggs
    Lunch: - fruit, or sandwich with crisps and chocolate
    Dinner: - potatoes, cabbage, peas, beans, carrotts, brocolli, sprouts, chicken fillet, fish, ham, steak. (usually a mixture of that)
    Evening: - not much really dinner is usually the end of it, maybe some chocolate sometimes or biscuits, but not always

Weekend: - takeaway, or fry ups

I don't drink tea or coffee.... maybe an odd cup of decaf tea or coffee (no sugars). Rarely do I have soft drinks, sometimes at the cinema or with fast food I'll get a diet coke or a 7up.

I don't drink much alcohol at all, and usually hit the 2 litres of water a day.

I'm around 5'6" or 5'7", and 65kg.

I go to the gym 5 days a week (although I have plateaued in my workouts, but that's another thread). I usually fit in a run 3 times a week too.

As you can see the diet is awful - would love to give a go to giving up sugar where I can - just wondering any replacements?

Just edited my previous post with an average eating week for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jadie wrote: »
    giving up cakes/sweets/chocolate/jams/sugary yogurt.

This is a pretty good list of things to avoid almost entirely, and I'd add any sort of breakfast cereal that isn't basic grains (Wheetabix/porridge, is fine).

Fruit has sugar but plenty of fibre, which slows absorption, so it's fine. A bit of sugar in your diet is no problem, just not manufactured products that work as concentrated insulin bombs on the body, like bags of jellies or milk chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

Lunch: - fruit, or sandwich with crisps and chocolate

Evening: - not much really dinner is usually the end of it, maybe some chocolate sometimes or biscuits, but not always

Weekend: - takeaway, or fry ups

I don't drink tea or coffee.... maybe an odd cup of decaf tea or coffee (no sugars). Rarely do I have soft drinks, sometimes at the cinema or with fast food I'll get a diet coke or a 7up.

?

Cut out your crisps and chocolate at lunch. Also your evening treats. You're already drinking plenty of water but i find drinking water in the evening can help sometimes reduce desire for crap.

Reduce your takeaways with homecooked - curry or chinese shouldnt take more than 20-30 minutes to cook. Some takeaways have sugar added.

Have you tried logging your daily food into myfitnesspal? It will identify these for each food item and total your carb, protein, fat, sugar intake each day against a daily recommendation for each. It took me a few weeks to get into the habit of using the site and finding relatively accurate entries for homecooked foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

there's nothing wrong with natural sugar in fruit and veg, it processed food that all the crap is in, as long as you make your own food from fresh ingredients you will not go far wrong

Advertisement