Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potato Farls

• 27-08-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Bad, good or ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Smile111 wrote: »
    Bad, good or ok?

There are better food choices...but worse choices as well.

But you have to look at your diet as a whole to assess food choices you're making because they could the best or worst thing in your diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Lets see...

Rankin Irish Potato Farls 4 Pack
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254554122

Says 60g has 110 calories and further down it clarifies that means 1 potatoe farl.

So like... daily calories is generally around 2000 so you'll get more fat stored if the farls you eat overall contributes to more than you use.

It also says each farl is 10% of your daily salt. People need a certain amount of salt but also too much salt is supposed to be bad for ya.

So those 2 things jumped out at me.

So... they ain't poison but they don't do much but give you a chunk of calories and salt so don't overdo em.

Saying that though, they are lovely in a big aul fryup :-) ... though once you're going down that road, ya probably ain't thinking "Nutrition and Diet on boards.ie is where I need to be right now" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Thanks.Today was the first time I ever had one.Found quite heavy and one was enough.
    I just wasn't sure as not very good at understanding nutrition,fat, salt content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Slydice wrote: »
    Says 60g has 110 calories and further down it clarifies that means 1 potatoe farl.

If they are going into the pan as part of a fry, you can probably double that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Smile111 wrote: »
    Bad, good or ok?

Why not just boil a few potatoes and fry in a nice fat?

Tastier and you control all the ingredients rather than some engineered food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Boxty is very popular with people at Slimming World for some reason, I prefer it to farls.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Thanks guys.Only got to try seen as I thought they were healthy. My friend who I thought was extremely health consious had them.
    I just toasted one.
    Have lost abought out a stone already just by making healthier choices and exercising 5 times a week.
    I have not fried anything in months even when I was heavier, I always grilled.
    I have been using 80/20 rule and it's working well for me.

Thanks again:)

Advertisement