Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed Transaction?

Options
  • 01-07-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, I was in Aldi using my visa debit card and had 20 euro in my account and spent 18 euro but when i checked the atm machine it said i had 20 in it and i was able to withdraw the 20 which is strange, what if i was to put 200 in my bank and spend 200 in aldi then take it out of the atm, would that work too? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

liam650 wrote: »
    Hi, I was in Aldi using my visa debit card and had 20 euro in my account and spent 18 euro but when i checked the atm machine it said i had 20 in it and i was able to withdraw the 20 which is strange, what if i was to put 200 in my bank and spend 200 in aldi then take it out of the atm, would that work too? thanks
    A retailer doesn't process your transactions instantaneously. However, when it does get processed, your account is going be overdrawn. If you don't already have an authorised overdraft facility, you're going to be hit with charges

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

but does the bank know at that time when i am in the shop making the purchase like if the money isnt taken out right away how does the retailer know i have money in the account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

28064212 wrote: »
    A retailer doesn't process your transactions instantaneously. However, when it does get processed, your account is going be overdrawn. If you don't already have an authorised overdraft facility, you're going to be hit with charges

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Did you use "Contactless" it is "off-line" so your bank would not know for a few days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

there is always a delay with Aldi for card transactions. Anytime I buy something in Aldi (or Lidl) it never shows in my AIB account as pending transaction, like other card payments do, there is always a delay of a day or two extra. In fact I paid for items in Lidl today, and they are not showing as a pending transaction, depsite other items from different stores showing up, eventhough same day transactions.

AIB actually do mention this on their website when you click on pending transactions (if you are an AIB customer of course!):
    Please note there may be debit card transactions that do not appear on this list where they have not yet been advised to us due to the nature in which the retailer / merchant processes debit card transactions.

hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement