Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK cinemas refuse to play Lord's Prayer ad in front of Star Wars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lazygal wrote: »
    That bloody Eir ad gets me nicely riled up.
    I thought it was "air" until a day or two back - this has to be the silliest corporate rebranding exercise since the Consignia nonsense of 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Peregrinus wrote: »

It's simple, really. If you refuse all ads that manifest a religion or belief (including atheism), then you're discriminating against people on account of their manifestation of religion or belief. Which is pretty much exactly what s. 13 forbids.

I don't think you have this quite right. It is not discriminating against people on account of their manifestation of religion or belief. The objection here, by DCM, was the content of the ad, not who wanted the ad played, and what, if any, protected characteristic the may or may not posses.

To decide if there was discrimination you need to use a comparator. The obvious comparator in this case would be a person of no religion. The question would then be "if a person with no religion tried to get this exact ad aired would they too have been refused?" In simplistic terms, if the answer to that question is yes, there is no discrimination, for the purposes of the act.

The discussion here seems to be focusing on people of different religions trying to get ads reflecting their particular aired, and whilst that might be valid in a different context, I don't think it is valid in this context, simply because DCM's refusal to air the ad was not based on the flavour of religion, but simply on the contend of the ad in question. Leaving aside the unlikeliness of a non-religious organisation trying to get a christian ad aired, I think that is the comparator that should to be used in this case.

All that said, clearly DCM's policy would dictate, or at least should dictate, that a muslim organisation trying to air an ad with muslim related content, or a humanist organisation trying to air an ad with humanist related content would also be disallowed, and that is fine. But that is not what we should be comparing here.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think the problem here is that you can't disentangle the content of the ad from the person who wants to place it. Would a person of no religion seek to place an ad promoting Christianity or Islam? Would a person not having Richard Dawkins beliefs seek to place a "probably no God" ad? So, by refusing ads with content of this type, you discriminate against people with beliefs of this type - i.e. religious beliefs.

You say "leaving aside the unlikeliness of a non-religious organisation trying to get a christian ad aired, I think that is the comparator that should to be used in this case". But I don't think you can leave aside that unlikeliness. Precisely because it's so fundamentally unlikely, that's not an appropriate comparator to use. As a rule, if you have to come up with an improbable or illogical hypothetical comparator to justify your difference in treatment, I think you're on a sticky wicket.

Refusing belief-based ads is only problematic under the legislation if you refuse them because they express a religious belief (classing Dawkins-type beliefs as "religious beliefs" for this purpose, as the legislation does). It's discrimination on the grounds of religion that the legislation forbids. So the appropriate comparator, I think, is not someone placing any old ad; it;s someone placing an ad which expresses a belief that is not a religious belief. If somebody seeks to place an ad promoting road safety, or responsible drinking, or environmental awareness, or humane treatment of asylum seekers, or any other behaviour or value which they consider to be ethically desirable, that's an expression of an ethical belief. if you accept that ad, but not the ad expressing the religious belief, I think you have a problem.

Just to be clear, I do think the agency should be allowed to refuse the ad. But I don't think the "it's the content, not the advertiser" justification for this really stands up. I think if the position is to be defensible we need to find a stronger and more coherent justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,307 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Refusing belief-based ads is only problematic under the legislation if you refuse them because they express a religious belief (classing Dawkins-type beliefs as "religious beliefs" for this purpose, as the legislation does). It's discrimination on the grounds of religion that the legislation forbids. So the appropriate comparator, I think, is not someone placing any old ad; it;s someone placing an ad which expresses a belief that is not a religious belief. If somebody seeks to place an ad promoting road safety, or responsible drinking, or environmental awareness, or humane treatment of asylum seekers, or any other behaviour or value which they consider to be ethically desirable, that's an expression of an ethical belief. if you accept that ad, but not the ad expressing the religious belief, I think you have a problem.

To be discriminated against on the basis of your religious beliefs means that you have to be treated less favourable than someone else in a comparable situation on the basis of religious belief.

It is completely false to say any other ad promoting a belief which is not religious is the appropriate comparison because none of those "beliefs" in your examples are religious beliefs.

To be discriminated against because of your religion means you have to be treated less favourably than someone else of a different religion (as you say, counting non-religion as a religion). By not allowing any religious-focused ads, all religions are being treated equally. And as everyone falls under the scope of religion/non-religion, there is no discrimination.

Otherwise, no cinema/tv/anything would be able to refuse any ad whatsoever or it would be discrimination. KKK want to air an ad? Have to let them, because a drink-driving campaign ad was allowed and they're both "beliefs"! Westboro Baptist Church wants to air an ad (which they purposefully ensured doesn't breach any advertising rules)? Have to let them, because an anti-litter ad was allowed!

I think the problem here is that you can't disentangle the content of the ad from the person who wants to place it. Would a person of no religion seek to place an ad promoting Christianity or Islam? Would a person not having Richard Dawkins beliefs seek to place a "probably no God" ad? So, by refusing ads with content of this type, you discriminate against people with beliefs of this type - i.e. religious beliefs.

You say "leaving aside the unlikeliness of a non-religious organisation trying to get a christian ad aired, I think that is the comparator that should to be used in this case". But I don't think you can leave aside that unlikeliness. Precisely because it's so fundamentally unlikely, that's not an appropriate comparator to use. As a rule, if you have to come up with an improbable or illogical hypothetical comparator to justify your difference in treatment, I think you're on a sticky wicket.

Just to be clear, I do think the agency should be allowed to refuse the ad. But I don't think the "it's the content, not the advertiser" justification for this really stands up. I think if the position is to be defensible we need to find a stronger and more coherent justification.

But the issue here is solely the content of the ad. The grounds of refusal for accepting the ad were its contents, not the religion of the person putting the ad forward. I do, however, see your point and will allow that the comparator should be someone of a different religion, or no religion, trying to air an ad propounding their religion, or lack of religion.

Your comparator is troublesome. The policy of DCM is to not accept ads which have a particular religious or political viewpoint. If BMW have the viewpoint that their cars are the best cars in the world, and they want to air an ad that propounds that view point that would not be against DCM's policy, but it would not make a suitable comparator, as it is a ad that complies with DCM's policies.

The comparator has to be someone that does not share the protected characteristic, I think we agree on that, but I think the "thing" the comparator is trying to do needs to be similar in nature to the "thing" the person allegedly being discriminated against is trying to do. So in the case of the religious ad comparing it to a ad as you suggest would not be valid, as we know that type of ad is ok. To make a slightly facetious analogy, in an employment discrimination scenario, if a muslim employee was refused time off for prayers you would not compare him to a non-religious employee, or an employee form another religion, who want to not take time off. You have the comparator right, but you don't have the "thing" right. The thing needs to be something that would also be a problem to the employer, not something they would be ok with.

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    But the issue here is solely the content of the ad. The grounds of refusal for accepting the ad were its contents, not the religion of the person putting the ad forward.
    I really don’t think you can disentangle who a religious person is from what a religious person does. This comes close to trying to justify negative attitudes to homosexual activity or homosexual expression, while insisting that you have no animus against homosexual people.
    I do, however, see your point and will allow that the comparator should be someone of a different religion, or no religion, trying to air an ad propounding their religion, or lack of religion.
    I don’t think you do see my point. What the legislation forbids is not discrimination between different religions, or discrimination between religions people and atheist people. What it forbids is discrmination on the grounds of religion. So if you accept ads that promote ideas, beliefs or activities, but reject ads which promote religious ideas, beliefs or activities, and if you accept that it is religion which motivates people to place such ads, then that looks very much like discrimination on the grounds of religion.
    Your comparator is troublesome. The policy of DCM is to not accept ads which have a particular religious or political viewpoint. If BMW have the viewpoint that their cars are the best cars in the world, and they want to air an ad that propounds that view point that would not be against DCM's policy, but it would not make a suitable comparator, as it is a ad that complies with DCM's policies.
    This doesn’t really make sense. The comparator, obviously, has to be someone whose ad is accepted; there needs to be a difference of treatment before we can explore whether the difference of treatment is unlawful. An ad that is accepted is necessarily one that complies with DCM’s policies. You can’t argue that anyone whose ad complies with DCM’s policies is not a suitable comparator because, if that were true, there could no comparator at all. It’s a necessary (but not sufficient) condition that the other person’s ad must be accepted before we can consider the other person as a comparator.
    The comparator has to be someone that does not share the protected characteristic, I think we agree on that . . .
    Yes, we do.
    . . . , but I think the "thing" the comparator is trying to do needs to be similar in nature to the "thing" the person allegedly being discriminated against is trying to do. So in the case of the religious ad comparing it to a ad as you suggest would not be valid, as we know that type of ad is ok.
    This makes no sense at all. The comparator’s ad is “OK” in the sense that it complies with the advertising agency’s policy. But that doesn’t mean that there’s no unlawful discrimination happening; the whole question is whether the agency’s policy is itself unlawfully discriminatory. Passing muster by reference to an unlawfully-discriminatory policy is no guarantee of OK-ness.

The thing that the comparator is doing hazs to be as like as possible to the thing that the complainant is doing, except for the absence of the protected characteristic. So I think the appropriate comparator is someone placing an “evangelising” ad, except that the ideas being promoted are not religious (or atheistic).

Given my comparator, the only difference between the compliant ad and the non-compliant ad is that the non-compliant ad has religiously-motivated content, and is such as could only be placed by a person motivated by religious belief. So how is the refusal of that ad not affording less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion?
    To make a slightly facetious analogy, in an employment discrimination scenario, if a muslim employee was refused time off for prayers you would not compare him to a non-religious employee, or an employee form another religion, who want to not take time off. You have the comparator right, but you don't have the "thing" right. The thing needs to be something that would also be a problem to the employer, not something they would be ok with.
    That’s not a good analogy; in your case the comparator is someodby who doesn’t want time off, but in this case our comparator is not somebody who doesn’t want to place an ad.

I’m not sure that the analogy of the Muslim employee who wants time off to pray is a helpful one but, if we run with it, the appropriate comparator would be another employee who wants similar time off to pursue some ethical or self-improvement activity motivated by non-religious beliefs - awareness meditation, say. We have to assume that there is no medical or health case for either activity. If you give time off to one and not the other then, yes, I think you’re in trouble.

Penn wrote: »
    To be discriminated against on the basis of your religious beliefs means that you have to be treated less favourable than someone else in a comparable situation on the basis of religious belief.
    I don’t think it does mean that. If you treat A less favourably than B because A has a religious belief and B doesn’t (or vice versa) that’s discrimination “on the grounds of religion”. It must be; there are no other grounds for the difference in treatment.
    It is completely false to say any other ad promoting a belief which is not religious is the appropriate comparison because none of those "beliefs" in your examples are religious beliefs.
    That’s exactly my point. The appropriate comparator has to be similar except that it doesn’t share the protected characteristic. So someone placing an ad promoting an idea or behaviour which is not religious is the appropriate comparator.
    To be discriminated against because of your religion means you have to be treated less favourably than someone else of a different religion (as you say, counting non-religion as a religion).
    I repeat, it does not mean that. If you are treated less favourably than another, and the reason for the less favourable treatment is that you are expressing a religion and he is not (or vice versa) then that is discrimination on the grounds of religion.
    Otherwise, no cinema/tv/anything would be able to refuse any ad whatsoever or it would be discrimination. KKK want to air an ad? Have to let them, because a drink-driving campaign ad was allowed and they're both "beliefs"! Westboro Baptist Church wants to air an ad (which they purposefully ensured doesn't breach any advertising rules)? Have to let them, because an anti-litter ad was allowed!
    There’s no ban on discrimination between people of different non-religious ideologies or beliefs. You’re perfectly free to discriminate between the KKK ad and the drink-driving ad.

As for the Westboro Baptist ad (which itself breaks no rules) you can’t discriminate against WBC on the grounds of their being a church. But it won’t be difficult to find other objections to accepting WBC as a client which will afford ample grounds to justify different treatment. For example, you could lawfully adopt a policy of not accepting business from an organisation classed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Centre, due either to your distaste for hatred or your concerns about the reputational damage to your own business. (That policy would cover you for the KKK as well, come to think of it.)

I don’t think it does mean that. If you treat A less favourably than B because A has a religious belief and B doesn’t (or vice versa) that’s discrimination “on the grounds of religion”. It must be; there are no other grounds for the difference in treatment.

That’s exactly my point. The appropriate comparator has to be similar except that it doesn’t share the protected characteristic. So someone placing an ad promoting an idea or behaviour which is not religious is the appropriate comparator.

I repeat, it does not mean that. If you are treated less favourably than another, and the reason for the less favourable treatment is that you are expressing a religion and he is not (or vice versa) then that is discrimination on the grounds of religion.

There’s no ban on discrimination between people of different non-religious ideologies or beliefs. You’re perfectly free to discriminate between the KKK ad and the drink-driving ad.

As for the Westboro Baptist ad (which itself breaks no rules) you can’t discriminate against WBC on the grounds of their being a church. But it won’t be difficult to find other objections to accepting WBC as a client which will afford ample grounds to justify different treatment. For example, you could lawfully adopt a policy of not accepting business from an organisation classed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Centre, due either to your distaste for hatred or your concerns about the reputational damage to your own business. (That policy would cover you for the KKK as well, come to think of it.)

But as has been pointed out many, many times, the ad wasn't refused because the people placing the ad were religious, they were refused because the content of the ad they were trying to place was religious-based.

And the cinema refuses religious-based ads (any and all religious-based ads) because of concerns about the reputational damage to their own business. They don't want to air ads which some of their customers could strongly disagree with on a personal level. Hence why they don't allow political ads either. They don't want to air an ad for a Christian church in case non-Christians then decide to no longer use that cinema. They don't want to air an ad for an Islamic mosque in case non-Muslims then decide to no longer use that cinema. They don't want to air ads for the Tory party in case Labour supporters then decide to no longer use that cinema.

Promoting one religious/political organisation and not others runs the risk of alienating customers (and counts as discrimination). By treating all religious-based ads the same, they treat everyone equally.

I really don’t think you can disentangle who a religious person is from what a religious person does. This comes close to trying to justify negative attitudes to homosexual activity or homosexual expression, while insisting that you have no animus against homosexual people.
    Well, you have to... The law protects one's right to hold a religious belief, bit it does not necessarily protect one's right to manifest that belief in every way one might want to, even where one believes a particular manifestation is a requirement. So whilst you might be right that it is difficult or impossible to disentangle who a religious person is from what that religious person does, on occasion the law has to.

I don’t think you do see my point. What the legislation forbids is not discrimination between different religions, or discrimination between religions people and atheist people. What it forbids is discrmination on the grounds of religion. So if you accept ads that promote ideas, beliefs or activities, but reject ads which promote religious ideas, beliefs or activities, and if you accept that it is religion which motivates people to place such ads, then that looks very much like discrimination on the grounds of religion.
    Perhaps if you were claiming discrimination on the part of the ad itself. With respect to the person trying to air the ad it is sufficient to say the ad did not comply with DCM's policies regarding what it would or would not accept.

This doesn’t really make sense. The comparator, obviously, has to be someone whose ad is accepted; there needs to be a difference of treatment before we can explore whether the difference of treatment is unlawful. An ad that is accepted is necessarily one that complies with DCM’s policies. You can’t argue that anyone whose ad complies with DCM’s policies is not a suitable comparator because, if that were true, there could no comparator at all. It’s a necessary (but not sufficient) condition that the other person’s ad must be accepted before we can consider the other person as a comparator.
    But this just doesn't work, that would mean DCM could not refuse any ad for any reason even vaguely related to a protected characteristic. The protected characteristic is a characteristic of the person trying to do the act, not the act.
    Yes, we do.
    Excellent. I get a warm feeling when we agree on things...

This makes no sense at all. The comparator’s ad is “OK” in the sense that it complies with the advertising agency’s policy. But that doesn’t mean that there’s no unlawful discrimination happening; the whole question is whether the agency’s policy is itself unlawfully discriminatory. Passing muster by reference to an unlawfully-discriminatory policy is no guarantee of OK-ness.
    No. there doesn't need to be a change in treatment. There needs to be a change in protected characteristic. Remember it is the person that is protected, not necessarily (though sometimes it will be) the thing they are trying to do.
    The thing that the comparator is doing hazs to be as like as possible to the thing that the complainant is doing, except for the absence of the protected characteristic. So I think the appropriate comparator is someone placing an “evangelising” ad, except that the ideas being promoted are not religious (or atheistic).

Given my comparator, the only difference between the compliant ad and the non-compliant ad is that the non-compliant ad has religiously-motivated content, and is such as could only be placed by a person motivated by religious belief. So how is the refusal of that ad not affording less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion?
    But the protected characteristic is a quality of the person, not the act. The law does not protect characteristics of acts, only of people.

That’s not a good analogy; in your case the comparator is someodby who doesn’t want time off, but in this case our comparator is not somebody who doesn’t want to place an ad.

I’m not sure that the analogy of the Muslim employee who wants time off to pray is a helpful one but, if we run with it, the appropriate comparator would be another employee who wants similar time off to pursue some ethical or self-improvement activity motivated by non-religious beliefs - awareness meditation, say. We have to assume that there is no medical or health case for either activity. If you give time off to one and not the other then, yes, I think you’re in trouble.[/QUOTE]Well yeah, that was exactly the point. Your comparator for the ad is similar to my comparator for the muslim employee. Your comparator is not doing something DCM would object to. My comparator in the muslim employee case is also not doing something the employer would object to.

If we run with the analogy a little, what is the problem? The problem is taking time off work. I don't think the reason matters, the issue is taking time off work. So the valid comparator to the muslim employee is an employee that does not share the muslim employees protected characteristic, so isn't a muslim. And what they are trying to do needs to be broadly similar to what the muslim employee was trying to do, and that is simply take multiple periods of time off each day. What that time off is for is not actually relevant, the protected characteristic is a characteristic of the person, not the act.

if you start down the line of well, the time off is part of religious observation, or the ad is religious and can't be separated from the person, then you are heading down the road where you are asking the courts to decide about the quality of a religious belief. And they don't want to do that, and they have said that on numerous occasions.

Then the courts have to start thinking about why a muslim wanting time off to pray, because he believes he has to is more or less valid than someone who genuinely believes that they need time off work to watch every news programme that is shown throughout the working day. Why should the one be allowed the time off simply because it is a religious belief? Why does the religious belief get special treatment? That way lies the courts deciding on what is a valid religious belief, and do you really want that...?

MrP

It would seem that the CofE have been playing a very clever marketing game.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2015/12/time-for-the-church-to-come-clean-on-the-just-pray-controversy

Short version: The CofE have known for almost 4 months that the ad would not be accepted, but went ahead and shot some of the ad after being told that it wouldn't be accepted. They also decided to sit on the so-called "news" until the day they were launching their new prayer website, thereby ensuring maximum media coverage for it.

A marketing viewpoint: Credit to the CofE for a well-executed PR coup.

A Christian viewpoint: The CofE have broken one of the Ten Commandments, namely the one that says "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." That's a sin, plain and simple, which means the CofE collectively and its high-profile men of the cloth who bore false witness have some explaining to do to their God.

An atheist viewpoint: They're not the Messiah, they're very naughty boys,

• Advertisement

But as has been pointed out many, many times, the ad wasn't refused because the people placing the ad were religious, they were refused because the content of the ad they were trying to place was religious-based.
    And as I have said man, many times that is exactly my point. Rejecting an ad because its content is religious-based is affording less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion. That’s what the words mean.

You seem to think that if I discriminate against some religions, that is forbidden by the Act, but if I discriminate against all religion, against religion in general, the Act allows that. I see nothing in the Act to support this view, and if you think there is something in the Act to support it, now would be a good time to point to the provision on which you rely.
    And the cinema refuses religious-based ads (any and all religious-based ads) because of concerns about the reputational damage to their own business. They don't want to air ads which some of their customers could strongly disagree with on a personal level . . .
    Doesn’t matter. Their motive for refusing religious ads is irrelevant. If they refused only Muslim ads because of customer resistance and concerns about reputational damage, you wouldn’t think that gave them an out, would you?

In my example, I mentioned refusing ads from racist or hate groups because of concerns about reputational damage. That’s fine, because racism and hatred are not protected categories. But refusing religious ads because of concerns about reputational damage would not be fine, because religion is a protected category
    Promoting one religious/political organisation and not others runs the risk of alienating customers (and counts as discrimination). By treating all religious-based ads the same, they treat everyone equally.
    Sigh :rolleyes:. No, they don’t treat everyone equally. The treat people placing religions ads differently from people seeking to place religious ads differently from people seeking to place ads which are non-religious, but otherwise similar. That's not equal treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Well, you have to... The law protects one's right to hold a religious belief, bit it does not necessarily protect one's right to manifest that belief in every way one might want to, even where one believes a particular manifestation is a requirement.
    Sure. And if the cinema didn’t take ads at all, there’d be no case for saying that they must take religious ads. But, given that they do take ads, then the law requires them not to discriminate against customers on the grounds of religion. And a refusal to take religious ads certainly looks like discrimination on the grounds of religion, no?
    So whilst you might be right that it is difficult or impossible to disentangle who a religious person is from what that religious person does, on occasion the law has to.
    Possibly the law should, as I have already acknowledged. My point is that this law doesn’t seem to do that. It seems to me that, if advertising agencies are to be allowed to refuse to take religious ads, there needs to be some qualification or exception to the general rule that affording less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion is forbidden. And I don’t see that qualification or exception in the Act. Do you?
    Perhaps if you were claiming discrimination on the part of the ad itself. With respect to the person trying to air the ad it is sufficient to say the ad did not comply with DCM's policies regarding what it would or would not accept.
    No, it’s not. If the agency had a policy of accepting Christian ads but not Muslim ads, or "support traditional marriage" ads but not "support SSM" ads, you wouldn't assert that to defend against a discrimination claim “it is sufficient to say the [rejected] ad did not comply with DCM's policies regarding what it would or would not accept”. The significant issue, surely, is not whether an ad complies with DCM’s policy, but whether DCM’s policy is consistent with the requirements of the equality legislation?
    But this just doesn't work, that would mean DCM could not refuse any ad for any reason even vaguely related to a protected characteristic. The protected characteristic is a characteristic of the person trying to do the act, not the act.
    “The protected characteristic is sexual orientation, not sexual activity.” This won’t fly, MrPudding. Broadly speaking, gay sex is had by gay people because they're gay. Religious ads are placed by religious people because they're religious. In both cases there could be exceptions, but the correlation is strong enough to make a nonsense of any defence that seeks to distinguish between those gays/Christians ("I love them all!") and that gay sex/Christian witness ("Ugh!")

I concede that there can be a blurry line in this area. In Asher’s Bakery, the court proceeded on the basis that refusing to accept an order for a “support SSM” cake was discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, even though a straight person can obviously support, and campaign for, SSM, and can seek to order a cake for that purpose. I think that finding is a bit iffy, as I think I’ve already said. But if that one is even arguable, this one is a slam-dunk. There may be a fuzzy line over where, exactly, an act motivated by a protected characteristic can be treated distinctly from the characteristic for the purposes of the equality legislation, but this particular example is nowhere near that line. The placing of this ad can’t honestly be described as “vaguely related” to the religious characteristic of the people placing the ad. Professing religious beliefs is to religion what having sex is to sexuality! :)
    No. there doesn't need to be a change in treatment. There needs to be a change in protected characteristic. Remember it is the person that is protected, not necessarily (though sometimes it will be) the thing they are trying to do.
    For a comparator, there does need to be a change in treatment. Remember, what the act forbids is “less favourable treatment”. If you compare yourself with somebody who actually got the same treatment as you, there is no “less favourable treatment”, and the question of whether the less favourable treatment was afforded on one of the prohibited grounds is meaningless. The comparator has to be somebody afforded different treatment (in this instance, someone whose ad was or would be accepted); only then can we explore whether the difference in treatment was afforded on prohibited grounds.

On your argument, it seems that an employer accused of discrimination for refusing to hire a woman could point to a man who he had also refused to hire and say “Look! No gender discrimination!” But that won’t wash; the comparators are the people who are or would be hired, not the other unsuccessful candidates.
    Well yeah, that was exactly the point. Your comparator for the ad is similar to my comparator for the muslim employee. Your comparator is not doing something DCM would object to. My comparator in the muslim employee case is also not doing something the employer would object to.
    No, no. A comparator who’s “not doing something” is no use. If it were, then some arbitrary individual who is neither seeking to place an ad with DCM nor employed in your hypothetical - myself, for example, or yourself - would be a valid comparator in both instances, which is nonsense. The comparator has to be someone who seeks (and gets) the treatment that the complainant seeks (and is refused). Then, and only then, can we explore whether the difference in treatment is afforded on a prohibited ground.
    If we run with the analogy a little, what is the problem? The problem is taking time off work. I don't think the reason matters, the issue is taking time off work. So the valid comparator to the muslim employee is an employee that does not share the muslim employees protected characteristic, so isn't a muslim. And what they are trying to do needs to be broadly similar to what the muslim employee was trying to do, and that is simply take multiple periods of time off each day. What that time off is for is not actually relevant, the protected characteristic is a characteristic of the person, not the act.
    Yes, I agree with all that. (Warm feelings again!)
    If you start down the line of well, the time off is part of religious observation, or the ad is religious and can't be separated from the person, then you are heading down the road where you are asking the courts to decide about the quality of a religious belief. And they don't want to do that, and they have said that on numerous occasions . . .
    But I’m not starting down that road at all. I haven’t suggested, and don’t suggest, that the Muslim employee must get time off because what he is doing is religious. The employer can refuse to give him time off for any reason at all, as long as that reason is not the religious nature of the activity he wants to undertake (or any other prohibited ground, of course).

What I’m saying is that, if the employer allows time off for the non-religious activity, but refuses time off for the religious activity, then he has a problem. He has to be able to justify that without reference to the religious quality of the employee’s activity. (Maybe he can justify it. Maybe the Muslim employee does a job which can’t accommodate absences in the way that the other person’s job can, for example).

Similarly, if you accept the non-religious-but-otherwise-similar ad but refuse the religious ad, you have to able to justify that without reference to the religious nature of the ad you have refused. And in this case, since it’s already explicitly acknowledged that the refusal is because of the religious nature of the ad, the agency is not going to be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sure. And if the cinema didn’t take ads at all, there’d be no case for saying that they must take religious ads. But, given that they do take ads, then the law requires them not to discrminate against customers on the grounds of religion. And a refusal to take religious ads certainly looks like discrimination on the grounds of religion, no?
    Only if they allowed one religion and not another, imo.

It would seem that the CofE have been playing a very clever marketing game.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2015/12/time-for-the-church-to-come-clean-on-the-just-pray-controversy

Short version: The CofE have known for almost 4 months that the ad would not be accepted, but went ahead and shot some of the ad after being told that it wouldn't be accepted. They also decided to sit on the so-called "news" until the day they were launching their new prayer website, thereby ensuring maximum media coverage for it.

A marketing viewpoint: Credit to the CofE for a well-executed PR coup.

A Christian viewpoint: The CofE have broken one of the Ten Commandments, namely the one that says "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." That's a sin, plain and simple, which means the CofE collectively and its high-profile men of the cloth who bore false witness have some explaining to do to their God.
    Where's the false witness? Serious question.

the_syco wrote: »
    Only if they allowed one religion and not another, imo.
    That's not what the Act says, though. If they refuse ads because they're religious then that's discrimination on the grounds of religion, which is what the Act forbids.

In a nutshell, the Act doesn't forbid discrimination between religions; it forbids discrmination the grounds of religion, which is wider.

And as I have said man, many times that is exactly my point. Rejecting an ad because its content is religious-based is affording less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion. That’s what the words mean.

You seem to think that if I discriminate against some religions, that is forbidden by the Act, but if I discriminate against all religion, against religion in general, the Act allows that. I see nothing in the Act to support this view, and if you think there is something in the Act to support it, now would be a good time to point to the provision on which you rely.

Doesn’t matter. Their motive for refusing religious ads is irrelevant. If they refused only Muslim ads because of customer resistance and concerns about reputational damage, you wouldn’t think that gave them an out, would you?

In my example, I mentioned refusing ads from racist or hate groups because of concerns about reputational damage. That’s fine, because racism and hatred are not protected categories. But refusing religious ads because of concerns about reputational damage would not be fine, because religion is a protected category

Sigh :rolleyes:. No, they don’t treat everyone equally. The treat people placing religions ads differently from people seeking to place religious ads differently from people seeking to place ads which are non-religious, but otherwise similar. That's not equal treatment.

At this stage, we're not going to agree, we're repeating the same points and are just going around in circles, so I'm washing my hands of this

Dr-Cox-Washing-His-Hands-of-J-D-scrubs-15285867-200-133.gif

Peace, man!

(We're agreed, I think, that the law should allow the cinema to decline the ad. What we disagree about is whether it actually does allow it.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Peace, man!

(We're agreed, I think, that the law should allow the cinema to decline the ad. What we disagree about is whether it actually does allow it.)

For now we can however likely assume the law does allow it, until a court rules otherwise of course ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Where's the false witness?
    Without checking in any depth, I assume that the charge of "false witness" can be inferred since the CofE pretended that they learned about the ban much later than they, in fact, did.

• Advertisement

OK, I think we are at risk of being told off again, who can forget colander-gate, but I am going to go for one more (at least :D) post on this. I won't do a paragraph by paragraph, but will just do a block response below. It will be a general response, so forgive me if I miss any specific points you have raised, but I expect it will address all your points adequately.
    Sure. And if the cinema didn’t take ads at all, there’d be no case for saying that they must take religious ads. But, given that they do take ads, then the law requires them not to discriminate against customers on the grounds of religion. And a refusal to take religious ads certainly looks like discrimination on the grounds of religion, no?

Possibly the law should, as I have already acknowledged. My point is that this law doesn’t seem to do that. It seems to me that, if advertising agencies are to be allowed to refuse to take religious ads, there needs to be some qualification or exception to the general rule that affording less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion is forbidden. And I don’t see that qualification or exception in the Act. Do you?

No, it’s not. If the agency had a policy of accepting Christian ads but not Muslim ads, or "support traditional marriage" ads but not "support SSM" ads, you wouldn't assert that to defend against a discrimination claim “it is sufficient to say the [rejected] ad did not comply with DCM's policies regarding what it would or would not accept”. The significant issue, surely, is not whether an ad complies with DCM’s policy, but whether DCM’s policy is consistent with the requirements of the equality legislation?

“The protected characteristic is sexual orientation, not sexual activity.” This won’t fly, MrPudding. Broadly speaking, gay sex is had by gay people because they're gay. Religious ads are placed by religious people because they're religious. In both cases there could be exceptions, but the correlation is strong enough to make a nonsense of any defence that seeks to distinguish between those gays/Christians ("I love them all!") and that gay sex/Christian witness ("Ugh!")

I concede that there can be a blurry line in this area. In Asher’s Bakery, the court proceeded on the basis that refusing to accept an order for a “support SSM” cake was discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, even though a straight person can obviously support, and campaign for, SSM, and can seek to order a cake for that purpose. I think that finding is a bit iffy, as I think I’ve already said. But if that one is even arguable, this one is a slam-dunk. There may be a fuzzy line over where, exactly, an act motivated by a protected characteristic can be treated distinctly from the characteristic for the purposes of the equality legislation, but this particular example is nowhere near that line. The placing of this ad can’t honestly be described as “vaguely related” to the religious characteristic of the people placing the ad. Professing religious beliefs is to religion what having sex is to sexuality! :)

For a comparator, there does need to be a change in treatment. Remember, what the act forbids is “less favourable treatment”. If you compare yourself with somebody who actually got the same treatment as you, there is no “less favourable treatment”, and the question of whether the less favourable treatment was afforded on one of the prohibited grounds is meaningless. The comparator has to be somebody afforded different treatment (in this instance, someone whose ad was or would be accepted); only then can we explore whether the difference in treatment was afforded on prohibited grounds.

On your argument, it seems that an employer accused of discrimination for refusing to hire a woman could point to a man who he had also refused to hire and say “Look! No gender discrimination!” But that won’t wash; the comparators are the people who are or would be hired, not the other unsuccessful candidates.

No, no. A comparator who’s “not doing something” is no use. If it were, then some arbitrary individual who is neither seeking to place an ad with DCM nor employed in your hypothetical - myself, for example, or yourself - would be a valid comparator in both instances, which is nonsense. The comparator has to be someone who seeks (and gets) the treatment that the complainant seeks (and is refused). Then, and only then, can we explore whether the difference in treatment is afforded on a prohibited ground.

Yes, I agree with all that. (Warm feelings again!)

But I’m not starting down that road at all. I haven’t suggested, and don’t suggest, that the Muslim employee must get time off because what he is doing is religious. The employer can refuse to give him time off for any reason at all, as long as that reason is not the religious nature of the activity he wants to undertake (or any other prohibited ground, of course).

What I’m saying is that, if the employer allows time off for the non-religious activity, but refuses time off for the religious activity, then he has a problem. He has to be able to justify that without reference to the religious quality of the employee’s activity. (Maybe he can justify it. Maybe the Muslim employee does a job which can’t accommodate absences in the way that the other person’s job can, for example).

Similarly, if you accept the non-religious-but-otherwise-similar ad but refuse the religious ad, you have to able to justify that without reference to the religious nature of the ad you have refused. And in this case, since it’s already explicitly acknowledged that the refusal is because of the religious nature of the ad, the agency is not going to be able to do that.

First, the comparator. In the McFarlane case a counsellor was dismissed because he said he would not provide counselling to same-sex couples because of his religious belief. He took an unfair dismissal action. McFarlane claimed both direct and indirect discrimination. We have not talked about that here, so far, but I think it is time we did.

In the Employment Tribunal (ET), when looking at the claim of direct discrimination, they used a comparator. This is what they said:
    ET wrote:
    "[W]e concluded, firstly, that it was necessary for an actual or hypothetical comparator to be identified and, secondly, that an appropriate comparator would be another counsellor who, for reasons unrelated to Christianity, was believed by the respondent to be unwilling to provide PST counselling to same sex couples and therefore unwilling to abide by the respondent's Equal Opportunities and Ethical Practice Policies. The question, therefore, is whether the respondent would have treated [such] a comparator differently, and in our view it would not.

In his appeal McFarlane argued that this was not a valid comparator as it ignored the need to protect the manifestation of the religious belief as well the holding of the belief. This was rejected by the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT) and this rejection was upheld by the Court of Appeal (by my favoritely named judge, I might add, Lord Justice Laws.)

If we apply this to the DCM scenario it would suggest that the correct comparator is as I suggested, a person that does not share the same religion as the person trying to get the ad aired who trying to get that same ad aired. I believe the outcome would be the same, DCM would refuse to air the ad. Personally I don't think it would need to be the same ad, I believe another ad that fell foul of the same policy would suffice.

So that is direct discrimination dealt with, which brings us to indirect discrimination. This is, in short, a policy or practice that applies to all, but would have a disproportionate effect on a subset of people, and that subset can be defined by possession of a protected characteristic. The DCM policy applies to all people trying to place ads with them. Persons trying to place ads of a religious nature are considerably more likely to be religious people, therefore, a ban on airing religious ads is more likely to impact a religious person. It seems likely that DCM's policy indirectly discriminates against the religious. But wait...

Unlike direct discrimination, it is possible to justify indirect discrimination. Indirect discrimination is "ok" when it can be shown to be a proportionate means to achieve a legitimate aim. The aim of the DCM policy is to protect its business interests and not alienate sections of its customer base, or more specifically, its customer's customer base. It tries to achieve this by having a policy of not accepting ads related to religion or politics which tend to be highly polarising.

I believe this is a legitimate aim, but is it proportionate? What is the actual impact to the CoE of DCM's policy. DCM controls advertising on around 60% of the UK's cinema screens, which is quite a lot. What it doesn't control is billboards, newspaper advertising, television advertising, the ads above urinals in motorway service stations, what is said in churches or what is said in schools controlled by the CoE. In the grand scheme of things, therefore, this refusal to air an ad actually has a very small impact on the CoI's ability to get its message out, so I think it could be validly considered to be a proportionate means to achieve a legitimate end.

If you were still unsure about the proportionality we could probably also look at the cinema goers rights. They have a right to their religious belief, or non-belief, and would likely have a reasonable expectation of not having manifestations (however inoffensive some might consider it) of someone else's religious belief foisted upon them when they visit the cinema. Whilst this is directly related to DCM's aim, I think it is a separate and valid argument.

MrP

Where's the false witness?

It's in the lying.

Lying is bad.

It's wrong for Catholics to lie, though they have a fabulous get out clause. All they have to do is tell a priest they lied, say they're sorry, say whatever formula of words the priest tells them to say, and they're off the hook.

I don't know if it works that way for Anglicans. Maybe it does, and they've told each other they're sorry and recited their prescribed poems and are now celebrating being forgiven.

Anyway, it's not like there's any supernatural creature out there to make them account for themselves after they're dead, so no problem there then. :D

Serious question.

Yeah, right.

Hi Mr P

McFarlane case: I take your point.

I think the difference here is that in the McFarlane case, the complainant had refused to provide sexual counselling to same-sex couples. Obviously, someone might refuse to provide that service for non-religious reasons. Therefore, the hypothetical comparator who refused to provide the service for non-religious reasons was a meaningful concept.

But, in the DCM case, the issue is an evangelising religious ad. It’s hard to see how we can meaningfully picture a comparator who seeks to place an evangelising religious ad for non-religious reasons. The whole point of placing an ad is to persuade people of the message in the ad. And if the agency has to defend its position by appealing to an intrinsically contradictory hypothetical comparator, I’m not sure that’s an ideal defence.

And I think the reason that we have this problem was because, in McFarlane, the employer’s stance was unrelated to religion. They were employing a counsellor; they wanted him to provide counselling; they were completely indifferent as to his religion, if any. They could reasonably present their stance as not being discriminatory on the grounds of religion.

But in the DCM case the agency’s policy is explicitly driven by religion; had the ad not been religious (or political), they would have taken it. They absolutely cannot present their stance as not being discriminatory on the grounds of religion when the only reason they rejected the ad is because it was religious. And the fundamentally contradictory nature of the comparator they are trying to evoke merely highlights this.

Indirect discrimination: First, can I get a nitpick out of the way? I have a vague idea that indirect discrimination is a specific concern only with regard to the gender ground. So, imposing a 180cm height requirement for employment in a particular position (when there is no objective requirement for this) is gender discrimination, since a much smaller proportion of women than men will satisfy the requirement. But am I wrong in thinking that the concept does not extend to cases of discrimination on grounds other than the gender ground?

OK. Park that. Let’s assume that indirect discrimination is relevant to claims of discrimination on the religion ground.

I don’t think this is a case of indirect discrimination. Back to the gender ground for a moment; a bar on employing people under 180 cm (without good reason) is indirect discrimination since, to coin a phrase, you don’t have to be female to be under 180cm, but it helps. But a bar on candidates who menstruate would be direct discrimination, since this is an intrinsically female thing do. (It would be direct discrimination even though obviously a proportion of women have ceased menstruating, and wouldn’t be affected by the bar.)

So, what we have here is a bar on “evangelising”, if what you are evangelising for is religion (within the extended meaning given in the Act). And, since evangelising for religion is an intrinsically religious activity, if this is discrimination at all then it’s direct discrimination. Evangelising for religion isn’t something that is mostly done by religious people; it’s an intrinsically religious thing to do.

For what it’s worth, if this were indirect discrimination, I don’t think that “protecting business interests . . not alienating customers” would necessarily stack up as a legitimate aim in this case. It’s long established that the expectations of customer that air hostesses will be nubile and firm-breasted does not justify imposing a lower retirement age on female cabin crew. That was direct discrimination, of course, but if Air France had tried to justify a height requirement on the basis that customers expected tall, leggy hostesses, I don’t think they’d have been any more successful.

Freedom of religion is a right recognised by the ECHR, as is freedom of expression, so I’m not sure that the court would necessarily feel obliged to accept that cinema audiences, who know that advertising slots are for hire to the highest bidder, would expect them to be barred to people with religious or political messages. Or, that if they did expect that, it’s an expectation which the courts should indulge, by treating it as something which would justify discrimination that would otherwise be unlawful.

Hi Mr P

McFarlane case: I take your point.

I think the difference here is that in the McFarlane case, the complainant had refused to provide sexual counselling to same-sex couples. Obviously, someone might refuse to provide that service for non-religious reasons. Therefore, the hypothetical comparator who refused to provide the service for non-religious reasons was a meaningful concept.

But, in the DCM case, the issue is an evangelising religious ad. It’s hard to see how we can meaningfully picture a comparator who seeks to place an evangelising religious ad for non-religious reasons. The whole point of placing an ad is to persuade people of the message in the ad. And if the agency has to defend its position by appealing to an intrinsically contradictory hypothetical comparator, I’m not sure that’s an ideal defence.

And I think the reason that we have this problem was because, in McFarlane, the employer’s stance was unrelated to religion. They were employing a counsellor; they wanted him to provide counselling; they were completely indifferent as to his religion, if any. They could reasonably present their stance as not being discriminatory on the grounds of religion.

But in the DCM case the agency’s policy is explicitly driven by religion; had the ad not been religious (or political), they would have taken it. They absolutely cannot present their stance as not being discriminatory on the grounds of religion when the only reason they rejected the ad is because it was religious. And the fundamentally contradictory nature of the comparator they are trying to evoke merely highlights this.

There are a couple of problems with your approach here. First, DCM are completely indifferent to the religion of those want to place ads with them. They just want to get paid for ads, just as Relate just want to have people that do their jobs.

The theoretical comparator does not have to be something that is necessarily likely. There was a case brought by a female prison officer complaining of discrimination on the grounds that she had to pat down male prisoners, but male officers did not, and in fact could not, pat down female prisoners. The comparator used in her case was a male officer patting down female prisoners. Even though that was something that could never happen, it was, nonetheless, the correct comparator.

So even though a on-religious person would be highly unlikely to want to pay for an ad evangelising christianly, that unlikeliness, or even impossibility does not stop it from being a valid, and indeed the correct, comparator.

Even if the above was not the case, your position on this has a couple of other problems. First, the ad, or what the ad is, isn't actually important. A non-religious person placing an ad that was against DCM's policy for some other reason would be equally valid for the comparison to be made. So even if the comparator of a non-religious person trying to place the same as was rejected because it probably would not happen in real life (which would not happen) it would be perfectly valid for the comparator to be a non-religious person trying to place an ad that was against DCM's policy for any reason.

This is not some theoretical idea, we know this is the case because we are told it in McFarlane. He tried to argue, as I pointed out in the other post, that a comparator that did not want to prove the counselling for a non-religious reason was not valid because it "diminished or extinguished the need to protect the manifestation of religious belief as well as the fact that the belief is held."

You actually almost seem to be arguing that the ad was discriminated against! Yes, the ad was rejected because it was religious, but the ad is not protected by discrimination laws. If it was, it would have a good case for direct discrimination. But here is where you seem to be having an issue, the ad is, in effect, a manifestation of the religion of the person try to place it. This is where there is a break. One's manifestations are not protected.
    Indirect discrimination: First, can I get a nitpick out of the way? I have a vague idea that indirect discrimination is a specific concern only with regard to the gender ground. So, imposing a 180cm height requirement for employment in a particular position (when there is no objective requirement for this) is gender discrimination, since a much smaller proportion of women than men will satisfy the requirement. But am I wrong in thinking that the concept does not extend to cases of discrimination on grounds other than the gender ground?
    No, it applies to all protected characteristics. In any discrimination case the courts will analyse both. They will do direct first, its the show stopper. If they find direct discrimination then the case is over. If there is no direct they will look for indirect. If they found indirect they will see if it is justified. If you read the McFarlane case I linked to in the previous post you will see this kind of analyse.
    OK. Park that. Let’s assume that indirect discrimination is relevant to claims of discrimination on the religion ground.
    Which it is. :D
    I don’t think this is a case of indirect discrimination. Back to the gender ground for a moment; a bar on employing people under 180 cm (without good reason) is indirect discrimination since, to coin a phrase, you don’t have to be female to be under 180cm, but it helps. But a bar on candidates who menstruate would be direct discrimination, since this is an intrinsically female thing do. (It would be direct discrimination even though obviously a proportion of women have ceased menstruating, and wouldn’t be affected by the bar.)
    Apart from you first line, which I will get to below, all agreed here. There was actually an interesting case on this which shows how easy it is to be caught by indict discrimination. A company changed their flexitime policies which meant people had to be in work earlier than had previously been allowed. This was found to be indirect discrimination on the grounds of sex. The reasoning was the earlier time meant dropping kids off to school became more difficult, women were more likely to have kids at school, therefore they were more likely to be negatively impacted by the change than their male colleagues, therefore indirect discrimination.
    So, what we have here is a bar on “evangelising”, if what you are evangelising for is religion (within the extended meaning given in the Act). And, since evangelising for religion is an intrinsically religious activity, if this is discrimination at all then it’s direct discrimination. Evangelising for religion isn’t something that is mostly done by religious people; it’s an intrinsically religious thing to do.
    OK, this should pretty simple. Evangelising is a manifestation of religious belief. A person's right to evangelise will not, necessarily, be protected by the law, check out the Wasteney case.
    For what it’s worth, if this were indirect discrimination, I don’t think that “protecting business interests . . not alienating customers” would necessarily stack up as a legitimate aim in this case. It’s long established that the expectations of customer that air hostesses will be nubile and firm-breasted does not justify imposing a lower retirement age on female cabin crew. That was direct discrimination, of course, but if Air France had tried to justify a height requirement on the basis that customers expected tall, leggy hostesses, I don’t think they’d have been any more successful.
    Of course it is is a legitimate aim! Your Air France example is completely different. Religion and politics are highly polarising, added to this, people can be stupid. They want to avoid alienating customers as alienating customers is extremely bad for business, and they are a business. And remember, the owners of a business owe duties to that business. Disappointing some pervy passengers cannot be equating to alienating a large percentage of one's customers, particularly considering some of those customers were likely to have difficulty understanding that accepting money to air an ad did not necessarily mean the same thing as endorsing that ad.

Freedom of religion is a right recognised by the ECHR, as is freedom of expression, so I’m not sure that the court would necessarily feel obliged to accept that cinema audiences, who know that advertising slots are for hire to the highest bidder, would expect them to be barred to people with religious or political messages. Or, that if they did expect that, it’s an expectation which the courts should indulge, by treating it as something which would justify discrimination that would otherwise be unlawful.
    Yes, they are both rights, and they are qualified rights. And, you are again ignoring the Freedom of Religion also encompasses freedom from religion and one party's right to evangelise is in direct opposition to another person's right not to be evangelised to.

So if a court was assessing if the refusal to accept a religious ad was a proportionate means to achieve a legitimate aim I am pretty sure they would find it was.

MrP

Yes, they are both rights, and they are qualified rights. And, you are again ignoring the Freedom of Religion also encompasses freedom from religion and one party's right to evangelise is in direct opposition to another person's right not to be evangelised to.

So if a court was assessing if the refusal to accept a religious ad was a proportionate means to achieve a legitimate aim I am pretty sure they would find it was.

MrP

Plus the fact that freedom of religion and freedom of expression does not mean the cinema is required to provide a platform for them.

Plus the fact that freedom of religion and freedom of expression does not mean the cinema is required to provide a platform for them.
    Yes, another good point. As I mentioned yesterday when you look at the actual impact of this policy, what the restriction is, in real terms, on the CoE's ability to evangelise, it is tiny. They have plenty of other platforms available to them, not least of which is there very own network of churches and schools where I am fairly sure they would not allow a speaker that tried to tell the congregations and school children that their religion was stupid and there probably is no god. Irony much...?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No more than a church hall would be obliged to give AI or Abortion Rights Campaign a platform ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was lurking over this thread whilst not logged in and an ad for Star Wars on the PS4 showed up.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

For someone who says they know more than anybody else about who created and runs the universe, religious people take too much offence about every petty issue.

Also I don't think they can convert jedis anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Icepick wrote: »
    For someone who says they know more than anybody else about who created and runs the universe, religious people take too much offence about every petty issue.
    Also I don't think they can convert jedis anyway.

It is believed the majority of self-reported Jedi claimed the religion for their own amusement, to poke fun at the government,[1] or as a protest against the inclusion of the religion question on the census form.

One day you want this. Another day you want the government to reword the religion question. Make up your mind.

Advertisement