Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best old style pubs in Cork?

Options
  • 26-07-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What are the best old style pubs in and around Cork City?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The Hi-B is an experience.
    The Mutton Lane.
    Theres 2 or 3 on the North main St. and Cornmarket St.
    I like the Long Valley esp. around Christmas time - very olde world feel to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What do you mean old style?

Counihans down Oliver Plunkett st

Costigans and the Washington inn , Washington St

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

What do you mean old style?

Counihans down Oliver Plunkett st

Costigans and the Washington inn , Washington St

Like the pubs in this doc -- 'The Irish Pub (2013)'.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Callanan's, George's Quay.
    Proper family run pub with a reasonable selection of beer.
    And probably the nicest pub frontage in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Dennehy's in Cornmarket Street (near T K Max).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

There is one across from Captain Americas...couple of doors up from The Raven. There is a bar and some wooden benches and that's it.

Edit: its The Castle Inn.

I think The Oval has a bit of an old feel to it as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Worztron wrote: »
    Like the pubs in this doc -- 'The Irish Pub (2013)'.

Ahhh right, not sure my sugguestions count so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Re-name the thread "Hipster Pubs" :pac:

Hi-B is an awful awful place.

Never saw the attraction to Callanans. Very sneering clientele I felt and unreal rude staff.

gimmick wrote: »
    ... Hi-B is an awful awful place. ...

Yes, and the filthy toilets are down in a dungeon-like place.

Re-name the thread "Hipster Pubs" :pac: ...

Never! ;)

• Advertisement

Ahhh right, not sure my sugguestions count so

Hi Sephiroth. I wouldn't necessarily say that. :)

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Sephiroth. I wouldn't necessarily say that. :)

Well they are old pubs I guess :D

Never saw the attraction to Callanans. Very sneering clientele I felt and unreal rude staff.

It's like we're talking about 2 different pubs.
    I can't imagine why the clientele would sneer at you! What did you do? I
    Rob who is usually behind the bar is very, very friendly and polite.
    @CuriosityLiquid @TheGinisIn It's "supporting" it.
    I would love to know the situation where you were sneered at and treated rudely in that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

horgan_p wrote: »
    The Hi-B is an experience.
    The Mutton Lane.
    Theres 2 or 3 on the North main St. and Cornmarket St.
    I like the Long Valley esp. around Christmas time - very olde world feel to it.

I find this place very false to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

these are what I consider old style

Hi B
    Long Valley
    The castle
    The laurels
    The welcome Inn
    Jim Cashman's
    Dennehys
    Henchys St Lukes ( left hand side !)
    Le Chateux
    The Cork Arms
    Dan Lowrys

Not sure if people remember the old Vineyard it was a great bar in its day before they completely ruined it trying to "modernise" it.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I find this place very false to be honest.

agree - it was great in the 90s !!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Tom Barry's has a nice feel to it.

PLL wrote: »
    Tom Barry's has a nice feel to it.

oh yes forgot about there - lovely pub ! Coughlins on douglas street as well ( the front part) out back way to hipster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

They've all become hipstery. The castle is great but there can be some eejits in there. Go to the Laurel, they never bother with that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Love The Castle alright, the smoking area/mens toilets are a bit mad.

The staff in Tom Barry's can take a dislike to you quite quickly, was sitting out back with a table of 6 before, all couples just chatting away. There was a table next to us of lads finished their exams, they weren't loud by any means just having a laugh and a joke, no more than those inside the pub.

When I went in to order another round, the barwoman made some snide comment to me, assuming I was part of the college group, it was along the lines of "you lads will be moving on after these yeah?". I asked her to clarify what she meant while she pouring the drinks and then told her I wasn't part of that group but leave the drinks where they were we'd be leaving anyway. Gave the lads next to me a heads up and they decided to leave too, about 12 customers all left at once. Some lad at the bar then refused to take my pints I left and asked for a fresh pour. She had a face like thunder.

Been back since without incident, haven't seen that girl again (this was about 6 years ago, mind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I've also gotten a bit of an unfriendly vibe more than once in Callanan's and wouldn't go back again. Pity because the bar itself is nice.
    I'd consider Dan Lowrey's and Forde's at the bottom of Barrack Street good examples. The Idle Hour on Albert Quay is also good, but I'm not sure if you'd consider it "old style"

Now here's a proper old style pub!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDiUYVRGokU

... Now here's a proper old style pub!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Bodhran is well up there on best old style in cork. Kept immaculately clean but without a too clean feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have a horror memory for The Bodhran. On a work night out and was dying to get to the toilet. Got there, and bolted for the loo in the hopes it was free. It was. In I went starting to relax. I locked the door, things were beginning to feel good again, then I saw it. Some C**T had pissed all over the toilet roll.

I could have cried. In fact I probably did.

Nice pub though and their jukebox works as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Story with all the "hipster " comments? Is it just people suddenly coming to the realisation that a new generation of young people are becoming regulars at these pubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I've also gotten a bit of an unfriendly vibe more than once in Callanan's and wouldn't go back again. Pity because the bar itself is nice.
    I'd consider Dan Lowrey's and Forde's at the bottom of Barrack Street good examples. The Idle Hour on Albert Quay is also good, but I'm not sure if you'd consider it "old style"

Now here's a proper old style pub!

Fordes is a horrible hostile dive of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What's the name of the one across from City Hall (across Anglesea Street) looking onto the river? It's about the second pub down, small inside but seems to have an upstairs too, big into the trad scene I think. Got a smashing pint of Murphy's in there over Xmas.

razorblunt wrote: »
    What's the name of the one across from City Hall (across Anglesea Street) looking onto the river? It's about the second pub down, small inside but seems to have an upstairs too, big into the trad scene I think. Got a smashing pint of Murphy's in there over Xmas.

Charlie's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I have a horror memory for The Bodhran. On a work night out and was dying to get to the toilet. Got there, and bolted for the loo in the hopes it was free. It was. In I went starting to relax. I locked the door, things were beginning to feel good again, then I saw it. Some C**T had pissed all over the toilet roll.

I could have cried. In fact I probably did.

Nice pub though and their jukebox works as well I think.

Dunno is it the location on Oliver Plunkett St or what but every single time I pass that place theres a big gathering of winos outside.Do they hang around there to bum cigarettes off people or why are they all drawn to the place?

• Advertisement

Story with all the "hipster " comments? Is it just people suddenly coming to the realisation that a new generation of young people are becoming regulars at these pubs?

The hatred of so called hipsters is extremely fashionable (more so than hipsterism).
    I don't get it. Hipsters generally aren't loud, aggressive or intrusive in a pub.
    People just seem to have a problem with them because they dress differently to conservative people and style their hair and beers a bit differently. People also project their inferiority complexes onto hipsters as displayed by comments like "they think they're better than everyone else". The Hipster in the corner probably hadn't even noticed you!
    It's a strange phobia.

Advertisement