Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about leaving cert and medicine. Really confused

Options
  • 18-08-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hey guys so I'll just keep this short. I just did my leaving cert and came out with 565 but only up to recent really soul searched and found that medicine is what I want to do. I never did the HPAT but I wanna do it this year, my counselled said I would need to REPEAT THE LC AND DO THE HPAT all in the same year and score enough to get in. I have all the requirements met for medicine but just not the HPAT sigh. Is this true or can't I just keep my leaving cert take the year off do my hpat and thinking of doing ukcat too and then combine them next year or will I need to go college because my first choice is noting medical related.

Please respond thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jonathanod

Hey Freemasonry,

In order to register for HPAT, you would have to applied for medicine through CAO as you cannot apply without having a CAO number.

As for having to repeat the leaving certificate, I have never heard of this before and, quiet frankly, would make no sense as the HPAT is not based on academic study, but based on critical thinking and ability to react quickly to situations and problems.

I would certainly think about getting further information.

http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/home

You might be able to find something on the site.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hey,
    No that's non sense! You don't need to repeat the LC but you just have to do the HPAT.
    Your score is now converted to 553 (rule: Every 5 points over 550 is converted to 1 point) which means you would need a HPAT score of about 200 to get in. You have the advantage that you can just study for the HPAT now though.
    You might also be interested in Graduate entry Medicine. This is where you do a degree in any discipline and if you get an honours degree you do an exam called the GAMSAT and enter Medicine (4 year course). This is approx 15000 euro per year though.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You don't need to repeat the leaving cert in order to matriculate, and 553 is a good start, scoring 625 in the LC would increase your combined score with whatever you get in the hpat by 12, so you can decide for yourself if it's worth repeating for a few points.

Apply to the CAO and register for the hpat this Winter, to sit the exam in 2014. It all kicks off a bit earlier when applying to the UK, see Omega's thread. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charliemant

Is chemistry a compulsory subject to do to study medicine ??

Is chemistry a compulsory subject to do to study medicine ??

For some colleges yes, some colleges no. You'll have to check each college individually. There was a handy pdf floating around before which compared the requirements for all colleges, but I can't seem to find it now :rolleyes:

Edit; Page 2 of this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Your counsellor is trying to get you to give yourself the best possible chance of getting in. You would need a huge HPAT score with those leaving cert points to be honest. Some pll on here had over 600 points so could affords less points on HPAT. You don't have to repeat LC but if you just do HPAT and still don't get enough combined points it might be a waste of a year.

polydactyl wrote: »
    Your counsellor is trying to get you to give yourself the best possible chance of getting in. You would need a huge HPAT score with those leaving cert points to be honest. Some pll on here had over 600 points so could affords less points on HPAT. You don't have to repeat LC but if you just do HPAT and still don't get enough combined points it might be a waste of a year.

The OP would have needed 186 to get into NUIG medicine this year, so you need a good score of course, but it's not like if they don't get score 95th+ percentile they won't get in.

Assuming the OP scores 625 points (which is a huge assumption), they'll increase their combined score by 12 points. There's probably a better return putting those hundreds of hours into the hpat than back into the leaving cert, and the OP would wanna be pretty confident they're gonna score 625 to make it worth doing.

Their guidance counsellor told them they need to repeat both in order to matriculate as well as score enough points, which isn't true, that's what they were asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I realise that but I was trying to explain that while telling him he needed to repeat he probably meant that they felt he needed to repeat to give himself the best option that's all.

fewtins wrote: »
    For some colleges yes, some colleges no. You'll have to check each college individually. There was a handy pdf floating around before which compared the requirements for all colleges, but I can't seem to find it now :rolleyes:

Edit; Page 2 of this. :)
    Thanks . Does anyone know what colleges would I be able to do medicine if I do eng,Irish,maths,German,geography,ag sci and biology ??

Thanks . Does anyone know what colleges would I be able to do medicine if I do eng,Irish,maths,German,geography,ag sci and biology ??

You'll matriculate for the 6 year programmes in UCD, NUIG and RCSI. TCD don't count Ag & Bio as two different subjects for matriculation purposes, UCC only offer a 5 year programme for which you need a HC3 in Chemistry as do the NUIG and RCSI 5 year programmes.

• Advertisement

fewtins wrote: »
    You'll matriculate for the 6 year programmes in UCD, NUIG and RCSI. TCD don't count Ag & Bio as two different subjects for matriculation purposes, UCC only offer a 5 year programme for which you need a HC3 in Chemistry as do the NUIG and RCSI 5 year programmes.

Thank you

Which schools would be easier to get into to study medicine irish schools , English or Scottish with my subjects of eng,Irish,maths,German,geog,biology and ag sci

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Hey guys so I'll just keep this short. I just did my leaving cert and came out with 565 but only up to recent really soul searched and found that medicine is what I want to do. I never did the HPAT but I wanna do it this year, my counselled said I would need to REPEAT THE LC AND DO THE HPAT all in the same year and score enough to get in. I have all the requirements met for medicine but just not the HPAT sigh. Is this true or can't I just keep my leaving cert take the year off do my hpat and thinking of doing ukcat too and then combine them next year or will I need to go college because my first choice is noting medical related.

Please respond thanks

This is crazy :eek: I was in the exact position last year that you are in now!

Last year I got 565 last year. I never considered medicine until after the Leaving was over and only when I got my points did I decide to go for it.
    I decided then to go back and repeat as well as do the HPAT for the first time. I did this because I felt I could improve on my Leaving cert points and in the event that I took the year off, only studied the HPAT and missed out by a few points that I could have got with a better Leaving it would kill me :mad:

TBH I'm not sure if your counsellor is correct. I was under the impression I could just use the points I got the previous year...
    I know that biomedical students in First year sit the HPAT and use their leaving cert points to get in..
    Ring the college to make sure

Why would you just need to go to college?
    If you really feel medicine is for you focus all your efforts on getting it! Forget the ''if its for you it wont pass you'' and make it happen.
    I would recommend repeating the Leaving. People said to me when I repeated ''why didn't you just take a year off, get a job and repeat the HPAT??''. I wouldnt consider it because in school your in a working environment so it makes it much easier to study.

My advice: go back to school and focus on the HPAT there.
    Sit the leaving, do your best to increase your points but make the HPAT your first and foremost priority

Of course it all depends on personnal circumstances
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

By doing psychology, how many years would grad medicine be?
    And is there also grad dentistry and is the gamsat needed. (Sorry i know this isnt very relevant to this thread.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement