Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Medicine in the UK: A Comprehensive Guide

Options
  • 21-03-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

So first of all - it's a very different system to what we have in Ireland and the steps that you have to take differ from university to university!

You'll need to sit the UKCAT no matter what university you want to go to. It's an aptitude test with 4 different sections: verbal, quantitative (maths), abstract reasoning and then there's something you'll never have seen before called 'decision analysis'. I also think they're adding in a new section for 2013/14, unlucky you!

If you're serious about medicine in the UK, you need to prepare for this exam. Most Irish people who say they'll apply to the UK as a backup do no preparation for the UKCAT and don't do well enough at all as a result and will not get interviews or offers. This exam is different to the HPAT, HPAT preparation alone will not be enough. So, if you've decided you want to put in the hours for the UKCAT, here is what I recommend:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/preparation/p...-for-the-test/ (Read this and try the practice exams, you'll find them very difficult at first if you do it timed. Don't let it dishearten you.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical.../dp/1905812094 (I also highly recommend this book. Obviously it's not ideal having to pay money, but if you want to do well, I would view this as pretty much essential. I attribute my good score to this.)

Of course, you also need to have a look at where you can sit the UKCAT. That information should be available on the www.ukcat.ac.uk website. You'll have to register before the 20th of September 2013 and you'll have to sit the exam before the 4th of October 2013. The exams will be held at different periods throughout July - October. What I recommend is doing it in about September (it gives you enough time to adequately prepare over the Summer but also you don't wanna leave it to the last date possible incase you are sick, as you won't be able to reschedule.)

Once you have sat the exam (it's all on the computer), you get your results instantly! It will tell you what you score in each section, then you can total the scores and get an overall average. This gives you options straight away. Unless you score above roughly 685 (an exceptional score) you won't be able to apply to all the universities in the UK. Some universities view the exam as very significant and have a cut-off point to be able to apply to there university (Newcastle requires a UKCAT of at least 685 for example) where as some universities don't weight it much at all! To find out what the different medical school's relationship with the UKCAT is, read the following:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._is_it_used.3F

There's also the BMAT for some universities in the UK. I have no experience with this exam and I think it would be quite difficult for someone from Ireland to do well in. It requires knowledge of the A Level curriculum in subjects like Biology, Chemistry which is at a much greater detail than our courses. If you think you're up for the challenge (or set upon studying medicine in somewhere like Cambridge), then here is some more information about the BMAT:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/BMAT

As an aside, familiarise yourself with that website. www.thestudentroom.co.uk It's got a wealth of information about applying to medicine in the UK and there's also forums like this to talk to students from the UK. I found it very helpful.

Once you've sat the UKCAT and BMAT, the next stage is your application. You need to choose what universities you want to apply to and then see about what is required of you. It's a necessity that you have to write a personal statement, you'll need a reference and you need your predicted grades from your teachers. The personal statement requires a lot of effort! You need to sell yourself in a way that is not clichéd and clearly shows your interest for medicine. The main reason for receiving a rejection is not showing interest in the course you have chosen.

So how do you show an interest? The key thing is work experience. I cannot stress this enough! I was nearly screwed because of my failure to get any work experience. You have plenty of time to go about organising it now, where as I left it until the last minute. It's of huge significance in your medical application and another reason for rejection is not having any. I warn you now, it is very difficult to get work experience in the South if you do not have connections. Try GPs, hospitals, clinics and nursing homes. Having anything will be an asset. If worst case scenario comes and you do not have anything, write on your personal statement that you have something lined up for the summer after your Leaving Certificate like I did.

There's plenty of tips for writing your personal statement online. You could buy another book similar to the UKCAT but I wouldn't really recommend it. Personal is best. The main things to mention are how you are academically, your interest in science/medicine, hobbies (to show you're a well rounded individual), why you want a medical career and why you want to go to that university. You also need to get a reference, probably from a teacher. Get one off a teacher who knows you well and will be able to write good quality things about you. You could even ask them to include certain things in your reference, they won't mind! Finally, you'll need to round up your 'Predicted Grades' off your teachers. It is important to note that if you're predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements of the university you are applying to (this is something you need to look up yourself), you will seriously hurt your application. If your teacher gives you a low grade.. let them know this. Sure it's not 100% truthful and fair, but you have to be aware that your competitors will be doing the same and how unfair would it be to be rejected on the basis of a pessimistic prediction? If you're going to do you're own predicted grades (make sure they're realistic). If you're predicting 7A1s for yourself, you could end up with a scenario where the university checks it out with the school to see if they're legitimate. Be careful! I should also mention here that some universities, such as Queen's in Belfast, take into account your Junior Certificate results and rank you on them. It's something you'll have to look into yourself.

Once you've submitted your application by October (the deadline is early for medicine) you then wait until about November/December to be called for an interview! (If your university requires one, but it's highly likely that they will). You'll receive an email or a letter in the post letting you know that you're successful and of the details. Don't panic if you read online that some people have gotten letters and you have not. They may not all come out at once and if you're unsuccessful, you're receive a rejection email or letter.

Interview styles can different broadly from university to university. Many of them opt for the more traditional style, where you sit in front of a desk of about four people who grill you for 20 minutes or so about your personality, interest in medicine, knowledge of medicine and so on so forth. Other unis have a much more 'modern' approach - MMIs! If you're applying to Belfast, you'll have to sit an MMI. They consist of many different timed stations in which you are required to either answer questions, talk about yourself or participate in roleplay scenarios that test your personality. If you're wondering what exactly a roleplay might consider of, check this out (http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/me...iniInterviews/)

To see what type of interviews your chosen university has read this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...hool_interview

Finally, this another thing that aided me greatly with my interview preparation. A bit pricey, but highly recommended for success:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho.../dp/1905812043

So once you've sat your interview, you just sit around waiting for months like I'm doing now! If you're lucky, you'll receive a conditional offer - meaning that you have an offer to study at that university as long as you meet their entry requirements in the Leaving Certificate. Forget what you hear about 'unconditional offers', they're a myth and only given out to those who have their exam results. No matter how good you do in an interview, they're not going to take you despite your exam results. Entry requirements for the UK are high, I need 5A1s in my LC.

Alright, so there you have it! I think that's a fairly comprehensive guide! Good luck and if you have any further questions, just ask me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

0mega wrote: »
    So first of all - it's a very different system to what we have in Ireland and the steps that you have to take differ from university to university!

You'll need to sit the UKCAT no matter what university you want to go to. It's an aptitude test with 4 different sections: verbal, quantitative (maths), abstract reasoning and then there's something you'll never have seen before called 'decision analysis'. I also think they're adding in a new section for 2013/14, unlucky you!

If you're serious about medicine in the UK, you need to prepare for this exam. Most Irish people who say they'll apply to the UK as a backup do no preparation for the UKCAT and don't do well enough at all as a result and will not get interviews or offers. This exam is different to the HPAT, HPAT preparation alone will not be enough. So, if you've decided you want to put in the hours for the UKCAT, here is what I recommend:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/preparation/p...-for-the-test/ (Read this and try the practice exams, you'll find them very difficult at first if you do it timed. Don't let it dishearten you.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical.../dp/1905812094 (I also highly recommend this book. Obviously it's not ideal having to pay money, but if you want to do well, I would view this as pretty much essential. I attribute my good score to this.)

Of course, you also need to have a look at where you can sit the UKCAT. That information should be available on the www.ukcat.ac.uk website. You'll have to register before the 20th of September 2013 and you'll have to sit the exam before the 4th of October 2013. The exams will be held at different periods throughout July - October. What I recommend is doing it in about September (it gives you enough time to adequately prepare over the Summer but also you don't wanna leave it to the last date possible incase you are sick, as you won't be able to reschedule.)

Once you have sat the exam (it's all on the computer), you get your results instantly! It will tell you what you score in each section, then you can total the scores and get an overall average. This gives you options straight away. Unless you score above roughly 685 (an exceptional score) you won't be able to apply to all the universities in the UK. Some universities view the exam as very significant and have a cut-off point to be able to apply to there university (Newcastle requires a UKCAT of at least 685 for example) where as some universities don't weight it much at all! To find out what the different medical school's relationship with the UKCAT is, read the following:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._is_it_used.3F

There's also the BMAT for some universities in the UK. I have no experience with this exam and I think it would be quite difficult for someone from Ireland to do well in. It requires knowledge of the A Level curriculum in subjects like Biology, Chemistry which is at a much greater detail than our courses. If you think you're up for the challenge (or set upon studying medicine in somewhere like Cambridge), then here is some more information about the BMAT:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/BMAT

As an aside, familiarise yourself with that website. www.thestudentroom.co.uk It's got a wealth of information about applying to medicine in the UK and there's also forums like this to talk to students from the UK. I found it very helpful.

Once you've sat the UKCAT and BMAT, the next stage is your application. You need to choose what universities you want to apply to and then see about what is required of you. It's a necessity that you have to write a personal statement, you'll need a reference and you need your predicted grades from your teachers. The personal statement requires a lot of effort! You need to sell yourself in a way that is not clichéd and clearly shows your interest for medicine. The main reason for receiving a rejection is not showing interest in the course you have chosen.

So how do you show an interest? The key thing is work experience. I cannot stress this enough! I was nearly screwed because of my failure to get any work experience. You have plenty of time to go about organising it now, where as I left it until the last minute. It's of huge significance in your medical application and another reason for rejection is not having any. I warn you now, it is very difficult to get work experience in the South if you do not have connections. Try GPs, hospitals, clinics and nursing homes. Having anything will be an asset. If worst case scenario comes and you do not have anything, write on your personal statement that you have something lined up for the summer after your Leaving Certificate like I did.

There's plenty of tips for writing your personal statement online. You could buy another book similar to the UKCAT but I wouldn't really recommend it. Personal is best. The main things to mention are how you are academically, your interest in science/medicine, hobbies (to show you're a well rounded individual), why you want a medical career and why you want to go to that university. You also need to get a reference, probably from a teacher. Get one off a teacher who knows you well and will be able to write good quality things about you. You could even ask them to include certain things in your reference, they won't mind! Finally, you'll need to round up your 'Predicted Grades' off your teachers. It is important to note that if you're predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements of the university you are applying to (this is something you need to look up yourself), you will seriously hurt your application. If your teacher gives you a low grade.. let them know this. Sure it's not 100% truthful and fair, but you have to be aware that your competitors will be doing the same and how unfair would it be to be rejected on the basis of a pessimistic prediction? If you're going to do you're own predicted grades (make sure they're realistic). If you're predicting 7A1s for yourself, you could end up with a scenario where the university checks it out with the school to see if they're legitimate. Be careful! I should also mention here that some universities, such as Queen's in Belfast, take into account your Junior Certificate results and rank you on them. It's something you'll have to look into yourself.

Once you've submitted your application by October (the deadline is early for medicine) you then wait until about November/December to be called for an interview! (If your university requires one, but it's highly likely that they will). You'll receive an email or a letter in the post letting you know that you're successful and of the details. Don't panic if you read online that some people have gotten letters and you have not. They may not all come out at once and if you're unsuccessful, you're receive a rejection email or letter.

Interview styles can different broadly from university to university. Many of them opt for the more traditional style, where you sit in front of a desk of about four people who grill you for 20 minutes or so about your personality, interest in medicine, knowledge of medicine and so on so forth. Other unis have a much more 'modern' approach - MMIs! If you're applying to Belfast, you'll have to sit an MMI. They consist of many different timed stations in which you are required to either answer questions, talk about yourself or participate in roleplay scenarios that test your personality. If you're wondering what exactly a roleplay might consider of, check this out (http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/me...iniInterviews/)

To see what type of interviews your chosen university has read this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...hool_interview

Finally, this another thing that aided me greatly with my interview preparation. A bit pricey, but highly recommended for success:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho.../dp/1905812043

So once you've sat your interview, you just sit around waiting for months like I'm doing now! If you're lucky, you'll receive a conditional offer - meaning that you have an offer to study at that university as long as you meet their entry requirements in the Leaving Certificate. Forget what you hear about 'unconditional offers', they're a myth and only given out to those who have their exam results. No matter how good you do in an interview, they're not going to take you despite your exam results. Entry requirements for the UK are high, I need 5A1s in my LC.

Alright, so there you have it! I think that's a fairly comprehensive guide! Good luck and if you have any further questions, just ask me.

Hey Omega!
    Thanks for all this information! It was ever so helpful! :)
    I am doing my Leaving cert this year and I didn't apply to England because of the grade requirements as at the time they seemed a bit excessive!
    My question is, If i were to repeat my Leaving cert and get them grades, would I still be eligible to apply? I had mixed answers to this upon research and I am just wondering if you could enlighten me?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Hey Omega!
    Thanks for all this information! It was ever so helpful! :)
    I am doing my Leaving cert this year and I didn't apply to England because of the grade requirements as at the time they seemed a bit excessive!
    My question is, If i were to repeat my Leaving cert and get them grades, would I still be eligible to apply? I had mixed answers to this upon research and I am just wondering if you could enlighten me?
    Thanks!

Why would you repeat your Leaving Certificate? Assuming that you get the correct grades this year, you could go through the whole process I've described above but on your UCAS form just submit the grades you got in your Leaving Certificate last year and then you'll receive an unconditional offer if successful as you won't have to meet the grade requirements (assuming of course that you met them in the 2013 LC)

If you didn't do well enough to get medicine this year and had to repeat next year, then you'd just do the process as normal and don't include your 2013 results and say that you're sitting your exams in 2014 on your UCAS form. :)

Why would you repeat your Leaving Certificate? Assuming that you get the correct grades this year, you could go through the whole process I've described above but on your UCAS form just submit the grades you got in your Leaving Certificate last year and then you'll receive an unconditional offer if successful as you won't have to meet the grade requirements (assuming of course that you met them in the 2013 LC)

If you didn't do well enough to get medicine this year and had to repeat next year, then you'd just do the process as normal and don't include your 2013 results and say that you're sitting your exams in 2014 on your UCAS form. :)

Yeah I know that but I don't really think that I will meet the grades this year but we will see. :)
    Oh right, It's just I heard that that is lies by omission and is against the law But I'm not sure, They wouldn't have a way of finding out, would they? :)

Yeah I know that but I don't really think that I will meet the grades this year but we will see. :)
    Oh right, It's just I heard that that is lies by omission and is against the law But I'm not sure, They wouldn't have a way of finding out, would they? :)

Wow, didn't know about that? I can't see exactly why that would be so.. if you're going to sit all the exams again?

Perhaps email UCAS and enquire :)

Wow, didn't know about that? I can't see exactly why that would be so.. if you're going to sit all the exams again?

Perhaps email UCAS and enquire :)

Yeah I might just do that! :D
    Thank you!
    What Universities did you apply for? And were you conditionally accepted?

• Advertisement

Yeah I might just do that! :D
    Thank you!
    What Universities did you apply for? And were you conditionally accepted?

Belfast and St. Andrews and for Belfast, yes I was. :)

Belfast and St. Andrews and for Belfast, yes I was. :)

Oh that's great! well done. And so what grades do you need to get now?

Oh that's great! well done. And so what grades do you need to get now?

Thanks.

I need 5A1s and a B2. Not easy. :(

Thanks.

I need 5A1s and a B2. Not easy. :(

Wow, it certainly is not! :P so that's 605 points! Surely you might get into Ireland with that and a good HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

sheesh, not gonna complain about the Irish education system anymore!

• Advertisement

Just to update this thread with the conclusion of my application.

The conditions for my offer were 5A1s and a B2. I needed an A1 in Biology and Chemistry and at least a B2 in English and Maths.

I met all the requirements and received an email yesterday morning informing me that I'd obtained a place! This time last year I'd had my doubts about whether this route was achievable and now I've got a place in medicine secured before the CAO offers even come out - particularly satisfying after a disappointing HPAT result!

So, if you want to follow this route - the time to decide is now. Registration for the UKCAT closes on the 20th of September this year and you must sit the test before the 4th of October 2014. The earlier you register and book your test venue, the sooner you can get started preparing! I have material that I can sell if anyone is interested, just drop me a PM. Similarly, if you have any questions regarding anything - you know what to do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Just to update this thread with the conclusion of my application.

The conditions for my offer were 5A1s and a B2. I needed an A1 in Biology and Chemistry and at least a B2 in English and Maths.

I met all the requirements and received an email yesterday morning informing me that I'd obtained a place! This time last year I'd had my doubts about whether this route was achievable and now I've got a place in medicine secured before the CAO offers even come out - particularly satisfying after a disappointing HPAT result!

So, if you want to follow this route - the time to decide is now. Registration for the UKCAT closes on the 20th of September this year and you must sit the test before the 4th of October 2014. The earlier you register and book your test venue, the sooner you can get started preparing! I have material that I can sell if anyone is interested, just drop me a PM. Similarly, if you have any questions regarding anything - you know what to do. :)
    Does the requirement differ from each person? if so is the B2 required in both english and math or only one of them and do they both have to be higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

ahmdoda wrote: »
    Does the requirement differ from each person? if so is the B2 required in both english and math or only one of them and do they both have to be higher?

No you need 5 a1s and a B2 but English and maths are only specified 'for convenience'. You need to have a grade c at higher level for both and then 5 A1s and a B2. It's the same for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

No you need 5 a1s and a B2 but English and maths are only specified 'for convenience'. You need to have a grade c at higher level for both and then 5 A1s and a B2. It's the same for everyone.
    ah thanks man! and one last thing by a grade C do you mean a C1 or would a C3 still be considered a grade C

ahmdoda wrote: »
    ah thanks man! and one last thing by a grade C do you mean a C1 or would a C3 still be considered a grade C

Well in my email I'm pretty sure it said just a C grade but I'll check when I'm on the computer to be sure. Just to let you know I don't think Queen's Belfast accept a reapplicant unless you had an offer the year before. You should check it but I think I saw it somewhere.

Just bumping this now to say I'm selling those two books on adverts.ie, much cheaper than you'll get them off Amazon etc. and like I said, you really do need them if you're serious about this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 smtp95

Hello everyone,

I'm in sixth year at the moment and am applying for medicine in the UK. I was looking for some advice. This is my post on the Studying Abroad forum, got no replies. Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks

smtp95 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm in sixth year at the moment and am applying for medicine in the UK. I was looking for some advice. This is my post on the Studying Abroad forum, got no replies. Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks

Hi.

Okay, so if you've read through the thread you'll see that I went this route last year, got a place at Queen's Belfast and ultimately turned it down. I've looked at your post and with your Junior Cert results, you won't get an interview at Queens.

Here's the LC entry requirements for UK Medical Schools:
    The University of Birmingham
    Medicine (5 yrs)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and English

Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Biology and Chemistry. You must pass Biology and Chemistry with A1 grades.

University of Bristol
    Medicine - MBChB Pre-medical entry (6 years)
    6 year full-time Degree AAAAAB

University of Bristol
    Medicine - MBChB Standard entry (5 years)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA

University of Cambridge Admissions test details

TEST 1Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT) Test Date Test Form URL Test Info Info URLwww.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/tests/index
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree Typical offers vary from AAAAA to AAABB.

Cardiff University
    Medicine (foundation course)
    6 year full-time Degree

AAAABB at Higher Level to include A (A1 or A2) grades in Chemistry and Biology.Maths, English and preferably Physics at Standard Level grade B.Additional InformationApplicants should normally achieve the qualifications at the first attempt of the examinations.

Cardiff 5 year Medical Course
    Irish Leaving Certificate

Acceptability Not acceptable
    University of Dundee
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Chemistry and another Science at Higher and Biology at Ordinary level grade B.

University of Dundee
    Medicine (Pre-medical year)
    6 year full-time Degree Highers at AAAAAA including not more than one Science.

University of East Anglia
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Biology

The University of Edinburgh
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Chemistry, Biology, English and Mathematics or Physics plus Irish Junior Certificate, B in Mathematics, Science and English

University of Glasgow
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAABB including Chemistry and preferably Biology and one from Physics or Mathematics at higher levelAdditional InformationMathematics and Additional Mathematics are not considered as two separate subjects at higher level. A pass in ordinary level English is also required.

Hull York Medical School
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree

AAAAAB at Higher Level including A1 in Chemistry and A1 in BiologyAdditional InformationOnly acceptable at first sitting

Imperial College London
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT) A1,A1,A1,A2,B1,B1 including Chemistry and Biology.Additional InformationWe also require English, Maths and Physics to be offered at the Junior Certificate level, if they are not offered as part of the Leaving Certificate.

Keele University
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Grades AAAAAB at Higher level including Chemistry, Biology and Physics, with Chemistry and one other Science at grade A

King's College London (University of London)
    Medicine (5 years)
    5 year full-time Degree A1 A1 A1 A2 B1 B1 at Higher level including A1 in Biology and Chemistry

University of Leeds
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA, including Chemistry and two subjects from Biology, Maths and Physics

University of Leicester
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAA including Chemistry and Biology

The University of Liverpool
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications

this means not acceptable so do not apply with Irish LC only KD

The University of Manchester.
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Applicants offering the Irish Leaving Certificate may only apply to A104 (Medicine with a Foundation Year). Applicants must have achieved the required grades before application. Please contact us for further information

So dont apply for 5 year course KD

The University of Manchester
    Medicine (6 years including foundation year)
    6 year full-time Degree The School looks for grades of A2A2A2B2B2 in the ILC at HL - Subjects to include Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English Language. Applicants must have achieved these grades at first attempt before submitting an application.

Newcastle University
    Medicine (stage 1 entry)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA at Higher level to include Chemistry and Biology.Additional InformationPhysics and English Language required at Ordinary Level if not offered at Higher Level

The University of Nottingham
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree 6 subjects at higher level. 5 grade A passes including Biology and Chemistry. Grade A in Physics at junior level

Oxford University
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT)
    Subjects and grades requiredAAAAAB-AAAABBAdditional InformationThese give an indication of the range of offers likely to be made to successful candidates. Achievement of these grades does not guarantee a place as admissions for all courses are competitive.

Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAA at higher level including Biology and Chemistry.

Queen Mary, University of London
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree A1 A1 A1 A2 B1 B1 at Higher Level including A1 in Chemistry and Biology
    Queen's University Belfast
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degre A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 B2 at Higher Level including Higher A1 in Chemistry and Biology. A pass in English, Maths and Physics at Higher or Ordinary Level.Additional InformationGrade A in Junior Cert Science acceptable in lieu of Ordinary Level Physics. Performance in Junior Cert important.

The University of Sheffield
    Medicine (Foundation Year)
    6 year full-time Degree AAAAAB at Higher Level

The University of Sheffield
    Medicine (Phase One)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAB at Higher Level including grade A in Chemistry and one other Science

University of Southampton
    Medicine (5 year)
    5 year full-time Degree
    AAAABB at higher level including ChemistryAdditional InformationEnglish, Mathematics and Science equivalent to grade B GCSE also required

University of St Andrews
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree AAAAAA at Honours Level, including Chemistry, English, Mathematics and Biology.Additional InformationApplicant must declare if grades presented or predicted are for first sitting of Irish Leaving Certificate. If someone has not sat the appropriate subjects in their first sitting of the ILC we will make an offer conditional upon them passing the subjects that were missing in their first sittin

St George's, University of London
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Irish Leaving Certificate

AcceptabilityNot acceptable
    so dont apply KD

University College London (University of London)
    Medicine (6 years)
    6 year full-time Degree
    Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT) AAAAA plus a further pass to D3

Thanks for that 0mega. Yes I'd been hoping to apply in Scotland/ Wales/ NI as Irish students don't have to pay fees. But because I'm doing OL maths and because of my B in Science Cardiff seems to be the only University I can apply to outside of England itself. I suppose that at the end of the day its all up to me to decide.

With regard to the UKCAT, how did you find it? Did you score average/ above average? And how long did you spend preparing? Also, do you know anyone currently studying med in the UK? Sorry for the all questions! Its great to find someone who has actually been through this process

smtp95 wrote: »
    Thanks for that 0mega. Yes I'd been hoping to apply in Scotland/ Wales/ NI as Irish students don't have to pay fees. But because I'm doing OL maths and because of my B in Science Cardiff seems to be the only University I can apply to outside of England itself. I suppose that at the end of the day its all up to me to decide.

With regard to the UKCAT, how did you find it? Did you score average/ above average? And how long did you spend preparing? Also, do you know anyone currently studying med in the UK? Sorry for the all questions! Its great to find someone who has actually been through this process

Aim for Cardiff then. It's easier if you're going for one as you get to target your personal statement towards Cardiff more. It's also a great university.

The UKCAT is much easier than the HPAT. I scored well above average on a day when I was really ill, simply because I put in a few weeks of preparation. Once you're familiar with the format of this exam it becomes very manageable despite seeming very difficult at first.

I started around now doing 2 hours a night using the preparation materials that I listed in the original post (which I happen to be selling if you're interested). I don't know anyone studying medicine in the UK, although I'm studying medicine now in UCD - if you have any general questions regarding the course?

• Advertisement

Yes thats a good idea. Also, on your UCAS application did you put down a course that wasn't medicine? I'm thinking of putting down Pharmacy, just as another back up.

I've been preparing for the UKCAT for about a month now using the 'Get into Medical School' book you mentioned. I bought it on Amazon before seeing this thread! I'm finding it ok, doing around 2 hours a day so hopefully it will fine.

I know two people doing medicine in Trinity and someone else in Cork, but no one in UCD. I want to put UCD down as number one on my CAO so I'd love to hear about the course there, if you dont mind sharing :pac: At this stage I really, really do not mind where I end up as long as I don't end up too far away from home. Which brings me onto my next question. What do you think of Irish students studying medicine in Budapest? Do you think it's a good/bad idea? A lot of people are telling me to go for it as I would have no problem getting in and a lot of others have been telling me not to even consider it.

Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cookiemons3r101

What do you mean by "for convenience"? I'm planning on applying for Edinburgh, BSMS, Hull York and Queen Mary/King's but the entry requirements for Edinburgh (and many other universities including St. Andrew's and Birmingham) include an A in english which I may struggle to get.

Also, each of the sites are unspecific about Junior Certificate requirements in which I have 4A's, 7 B's in Maths, French, Art, CSPE, Geog, Science, History, Music, English, Irish and Italian. Would you have any idea of how this will affect my chances?

Thanks so much!

What do you mean by "for convenience"? I'm planning on applying for Edinburgh, BSMS, Hull York and Queen Mary/King's but the entry requirements for Edinburgh (and many other universities including St. Andrew's and Birmingham) include an A in english which I may struggle to get.

Also, each of the sites are unspecific about Junior Certificate requirements in which I have 4A's, 7 B's in Maths, French, Art, CSPE, Geog, Science, History, Music, English, Irish and Italian. Would you have any idea of how this will affect my chances?

Thanks so much!

Edinburgh state on their website that the average applicant has 7 A* (or something similar) at gcse level I think. It's very competitive and you're marked according to the ukcat, your academics and extra curriculars. Make sure you read the requirements carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cookiemons3r101

Edinburgh state on their website that the average applicant has 7 A* (or something similar) at gcse level I think. It's very competitive and you're marked according to the ukcat, your academics and extra curriculars. Make sure you read the requirements carefully.
    Thank you, I have done! I think Edinburgh will be my first option. I just wish there was a way of knowing.

Does anybody know if it's completely crazy to do Biomedical Engineering before applying for medicine through graduate entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

Well if you're looking at Edinburgh postgrad, you should consider Medical Science. It's in their prospectus and they do offer a few 4th year graduated the chance to enter into graduate medicine at the end of the course. Mind you, it's still pretty competitive to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Hi Omega,
    First congratulations, well done for getting into Meds.

Can you list a few good secondary schools in Dublin, from which most students get admission in Cambridge or Oxford. I want to prepare my daughter who is currently in primary school to get into oxford/cambridge.

Any suggestions are welcome..

Thanks
    Pit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

pitrn wrote: »
    Hi Omega,

Can you list a few good secondary schools in Dublin, from which most students get admission in Cambridge or Oxford. I want to prepare my daughter who is currently in primary school to get into oxford/cambridge.

Thanks
    Pit

Oxbridge is a big ask.
    Irish students with 625 points are not guarrenteed a place in ANY Oxbridge course.

But it's not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

pitrn wrote: »
    Hi Omega,

Thanks
    Pit
    She better get studying pretty soon as it's incredibly difficult to get in to Oxford or Cambridge! :)

You need to be 625 or thereabouts as the above poster has said and I'm pretty sure an A1 in Maths and possibly English is necessary for Medicine in Cambridge. I'm not sure about other courses but I'd imagine it's almost as demanding for other courses too.

I read previously that fewer than 100 Leaving Cert. candidates apply to Oxbridge annually, which represents less than 0.2% of the cohort overall. A few of the people who get 8 A1s tend to get into Medicine in Cambridge but they're definitely few and far between.

Some research has shown me that 7% of Oxbridge applicants reside outside the UK with 3% being successful so applying that to Ireland it is likely that only 40 or so Irish students attend Oxbridge annually as undergraduates.

Can't find any data for Irish secondary schools, but with numbers that small it's likely that no school has any more than a handful of students applying to Oxbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Oxford publishes more relevant data when it comes to the Irish Question than Cambridge.

Admission Stats - 2013 | Oxford

Ninety-seven people domiciled in Ireland applied to Oxford in 2013. There may be a mix of nationalities. Nine offers were given (seven accepted).

Since we're on the subject (:p)...the disparity in the quality of data released by UK unis (especially Oxbridge) and Irish ones is vast.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Some very interesting stats from Oxford there.

I would imagine that plenty of people will use these stats to choose to apply for subjects where there are fewer applicants and greater chance of an offer

Also interesting that two Irish people who were offered places did not accept.
    I'd love to know their reasons after going through the whole process. Interviews etc.

Advertisement