Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park incident

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

ZENER wrote: »
    The hypocrisy in this thread is astounding !! There are videos posted here of dash cams capturing hit and runs with people indignantly stating how scummy it is and how if they caught them they would do all sorts to them.

The OP hit someone else's car and drove off - end of. If it was my car I'd take him to the cleaners to teach him a lesson. A video posted in the last few days in "Dashcam saved your ass" showed a driver tipping another parked car which got lots of replies congratulating the poster for following up and notifying the victim.

Make your mind up lads !!

Ken

Your posts are off the wall.

You're talking about a "crash" like it's an M50 pile up.

You're also advocating insurance fraud - The real villains are the likes of yourself - Exaggerating claims and costing everyone else money. As for tales of kicking people's cars etc - More psychotic nonsense.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive (and sane) responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Your posts are off the wall.

You're talking about a "crash" like it's an M50 pile up.

You're also advocating insurance fraud - The real villains are the likes of yourself - Exaggerating claims and costing everyone else money. As for tales of kicking people's cars etc - More psychotic nonsense.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive (and sane) responses.

Says the fella who reversed into someone and didn't leave a note. You were in the wrong, everything that happened afterwards was as a result of you not leaving a note

Cyrus wrote: »
    Says the fella who reversed into someone and didn't leave a note. You were in the wrong, everything that happened afterwards was as a result of you not leaving a note

The bumpers touched...your hyperbole is gas.

Won't someone think of the children?

If I caused €2k worth of damage to someone's car, I'd write them a cheque there and then.

There is no deliquency on my part - There could not be damage to their car.

The bumpers touched...your hyperbole is gas.

Won't someone think of the children?

If I caused €2k worth of damage to someone's car, I'd write them a cheque there and then.

There is no deliquency on my part - There could not be damage to their car.

do you understand the meaning of hyperbole?

There was nothing hyperbolic in my post

do you understand the meaning of hyperbole?

There was nothing hyperbolic in my post

There was actually - You're talking about "reversing into someone" which implies a violent collision.

Hyperbole is probably best described as exaggeration of an idea for the sake of emphasis.

Your use of language is deliberate.

• Advertisement

There was actually - You're talking about "reversing into someone" which implies a violent collision.

Hyperbole is probably best described as exaggeration of an idea for the sake of emphasis.

Your use of language is deliberate.

you did reverse into someone, you said it yourself

you did reverse into someone, you said it yourself

I said that I was reversing and tipped into someone.

If I brushed against you, would you say that I assaulted you?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I did this years ago, left a note.... They managed to get nearly a grand out of me for. A new bumper etc... I was on my first year insurance and they knew I didn't want to go through company... She seemed such a nice woman, until the figure of cash came out her mouth......there wasn't a ding on the car.
    Sorry op , but you will just have to ride this one out, pay up whatever or wait for the big claim... This might have happened anyway had you left an note... These things happen and it's one to write up on the crappy life experiences learned chart..........

ergo you reversed into their car

and if you had left a note the ensuing incident would not have occurred,

i hope you are more considerate next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

If you got a box in the face would you be ok with it being described as a tip?
    The response of the victim was completely understandable and the OP's lack of comprehension for how his actions looked is the cause of all the hassle.
    Hope you learn to be more respectful of other peoples property OP. Might be a good idea to get some remedial driving lessons as well - so that you can deal with using your mirrors and judging distances etc.

• Advertisement

Not trying to be funny but the sniping that goes on here can sometimes be quite wearing. What is the point... Victim lack of comprehension blah blah... Tips happen, it's part of life, part of driving... The op knows it was fairly stupid, but the strength of language used sometimes from big high horses really gets on my nerves.... Take a step back, go have a coffee... Watch the news for something to get all riled up about.... A tip in a car park, victims.... Etc etc.... Gawd

dharma200 wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny but the sniping that goes on here can sometimes be quite wearing. What is the point... Victim lack of comprehension blah blah... Tips happen, it's part of life, part of driving... The op knows it was fairly stupid, but the strength of language used sometimes from big high horses really gets on my nerves.... Take a step back, go have a coffee... Watch the news for something to get all riled up about.... A tip in a car park, victims.... Etc etc.... Gawd

Tips happen, of course they do, but do the right thing and leave a note,

you said yourself, the 'tip' you had caused 1k worth of damage.

No it didn't cause 1k of damage. The person managed to get 1k out of me by using threats about insurance etc... She got two quotes, both from friends of hers and I had no choice not to pay.... My insurance would have went ridiculous... Do you actually think about posts before either posting them or reading them?

No it didn't cause 1k of damage. The person managed to get 1k out of me by using threats about insurance etc... She got two quotes, both from friends of hers and I had no choice not to pay.... My insurance would have went ridiculous... Do you actually think about posts before either posting them or reading them?

Ok, so you say you didn't cause 1k worth of damage, but she had two quotes that said you did, and you paid.

Forgive me but it looks very much like you caused damage, if you didnt you should have let it go through insurance and let the assessor decide.

not sure what you are getting at with your last sentence, strange...

Do you work for an insurance company? I will forgive you for your lack of comprehension.

Please re read my Intial post. I was on my first year of insurance. my insurance throughout the claim would have been raised considerably higher than the amount said lady was asking for. There was no damage to her vehicle, other than a tiny scrape, which even at re spray wouldn't have cost what my insurance premium would have been raised by. I presume you are aware of how insurance works? Are you?

Do you work for an insurance company? I will forgive you for your lack of comprehension.

no, i just dont like when people who damage other peoples cars in car parks through carelessness

and i have comprehended everything just fine, its yourself and the OP tying yourself in knots in the face of evidence already provided by yourselves

Ok. Well done

Please re read my Intial post. I was on my first year of insurance. my insurance throughout the claim would have been raised considerably higher than the amount said lady was asking for. There was no damage to her vehicle, other than a tiny scrape, which even at re spray wouldn't have cost what my insurance premium would have been raised by. I presume you are aware of how insurance works? Are you?

if there was no damage caused by you there wouldnt have been any claim to pay.

I know exactly how insurance works, in what way do you think i dont?

did you inspect the crumple zones behind the bumper when you were inspecting the scratch? are you aware of how bumpers work?

Ok. Well done

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There was no damage to her vehicle, other than a tiny scrape

Either you damaged her car or you didnt?

no, i just dont like when people who damage other peoples cars in car parks through carelessness

and i have comprehended everything just fine, its yourself and the OP tying yourself in knots in the face of evidence already provided by yourselves

No Cyrus, it's you and other posters who are advocating utterly insane reponses and fraud to non incidents.

You guys are the ones advocating crime and villainy.

My car touched against someone's car. There is no damage to either car. Spoof about "potential structural damage" is just apologism for insurance fraud.

Insurance fraudsters and people who inflate claims are scum.

And as for passive aggresive loons who post in fora such as this...well the less said about them the better.

If I bumped into you on the street, would you accuse me of assault? Because that's what this is the equivalent of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

djimi wrote: »
    Either you damaged her car or you didnt?

To be fair lads, we all know there are plenty of less than genuine folk, who will use a scrape, new, or existing, as a mini lottery win. God help us if some of these people were sitting in the vehicle while the "tip" took place. All of a sudden there would be dislocated shoulders, whiplash and severe trauma, leading to a pot of gold.

Sometimes leaving a note when there is clearly no damage, is an invitation to be screwed over. We live in a society where most people (imo) would take full advantage when euro notes are taken into account.

This is coming from someone who has more than their fair share of damaged caused to their car in parking lots. A week after a full respray, someone scuffed my rear bumper. Obvious damage, no note left. A few weeks after the repair, it happed again. The worst was damage caused to the front bumper and wing. All this was obvious damage in a car park. No notes were left. I love my car. It's currently undergoing some serious repairs after a recent rear ending. But, if someone tips it and they get out and check and there is actually no damage, them that's fine, drive away. It is when damage is caused, even if it is just a scratch, is when money needs to be spent putting it right. But again, too many people take unfair advantage of these situations.

No Cyrus, it's you and other posters who are advocating utterly insane reponses and fraud to non incidents.

You guys are the ones advocating crime and villainy.

My car touched against someone's car. There is no damage to either car. Spoof about "potential structural damage" is just apologism for insurance fraud.

Insurance fraudsters and people who inflate claims are scum.

And as for passive aggresive loons who post in fora such as this...well the less said about them the better.

If I bumped into you on the street, would you accuse me of assault? Because that's what this is the equivalent of.

all thats wrong here is that you didnt get the response you expected, if you had left a note there wouldnt be an issue, you didnt and got called up on it.

people who damage other peoples property and then slink off are scum in my mind.

no one is advocating insurance fraud, just common decency.

Im still curious to know what people expected this note to say exactly? There is no damage to the car, so what exactly are you notifying the owner of?

And I agree with the poster above; the main reason I am advocating not leaving a note where no damage has been caused is because it leaves you open to being screwed over by some prick who sees this as a way of making a few quid or fixing some pre-existing damage. Its a cynical view but welcome to the world we live in.

Im still curious to know what people expected this note to say exactly? There is no damage to the car, so what exactly are you notifying the owner of?

And I agree with the poster above; the main reason I am advocating not leaving a note where no damage has been caused is because it leaves you open to being screwed over by some prick who sees this as a way of making a few quid or fixing some pre-existing damage. Its a cynical view but welcome to the world we live in.

How about this?

Sorry, i accidently reversed into your car. It was a very low speed impact and i cannot see any damage. However if it comes to your attention that some damage was caused please contact me at xxxxxxx

And not to labour the point but just because you cant see damage doesnt mean it isnt there, also peoples opinions differ as to what is acceptable.

How about this?

Sorry, i accidently reversed into your car. It was a very low speed impact and i cannot see any damage. However if it comes to your attention that some damage was caused please contact me at xxxxxxx

You may as well just include a blank signed cheque if youre going to do that. Im sorry but in todays world Im just not giving somebody free reign to screw me over, when I know that no damage has been caused.
    And not to labour the point but just because you cant see damage doesnt mean it isnt there, also peoples opinions differ as to what is acceptable.

If this is what the OP describes it as (ie a crawling speed tip while reversing into a parking space) then no visible damage means no damage. Some people are blowing this way out of proportion; there is no going to be hidden damage for such an incident ffs. We are taking the OP at their word that they could see no damage, but if that is the case and they are being truthful then there is absolutely no reason to make any more of it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You may as well just include a blank signed cheque if youre going to do that. Im sorry but in todays world Im just not giving somebody free reign to screw me over, when I know that no damage has been caused.

Is that what soapboxing is, just repeating the same thing regardless of what everyone else says?

You've no choice about giving up your insurance details after you've hit someone's car. If you think they're gonna claim for a load of imaginary damage, tell your insurance company and they'll pass it onto their assessor.

Otherwise, just don't back into anyone else's car.

Is that what soapboxing is, just repeating the same thing regardless of what everyone else says?

You've no choice about giving up your insurance details after you've hit someone's car. If you think they're gonna claim for a load of imaginary damage, tell your insurance company and they'll pass it onto their assessor.

Otherwise, just don't back into anyone else's car.

Tbh this has boiled down to one set of opinions vs another. Call it soapboxing if you like.

If you think that letting your insurer deal with it means youre not going to get screwed over still then you are very naive tbh. Insurers more often than not just want cases closed and off their plate; they are not going to spend significant time investigating minor damage when they know they can just pay out the few hundred and then make back multiples of that from you over the coming years from increased premiums and loss of NCB. Again, this is my cynical side coming out, but having been in a position where I was right and got no backing from my insurer, I am not exactly quick to trust them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

ZENER wrote: »
    I never said I'd make a false claim. I'd just put him through the mill so he'd think twice if there was a next time.

Ken

you are the reason why I wouldn't bother if I did bump into someone

;)

Advertisement