Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park incident

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can't say whether there is.

The OP was reversing into a space; how fast do you think they were going? If they looked at the car and saw no damage then there is no damage. Of course, we only have their word to take for this, but at that speed there is not going to be hidden damage; if it exists then it will be visible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

visual wrote: »
    Hit and run
    witness informs victim
    victim believes their car is damaged
    offender believes no damage no foul
    Independent assisement of damage needed.

But can an assessor identify pre-existing damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

djimi wrote: »
    The OP was reversing into a space; how fast do you think they were going? If they looked at the car and saw no damage then there is no damage. Of course, we only have their word to take for this, but at that speed there is not going to be hidden damage; if it exists then it will be visible.

Dyou not reckon that that might be a biased opinion, no?

It depends on the damage, but if its fairly obviously old damage then they wont be long it determing that its pre-existing.

They will also take note of the situation, the position of the cars etc and determine if you could have possibly caused it. CCTV footage would help.

Dyou not reckon that that might be a biased opinion, no?

Im taking the OP at the word; its all that we can do. If they are lying and actually did cause visible damage then thats on them. No point second guess; we can only comment based on the information that we have been given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

djimi wrote: »
    Im taking the OP at the word; its all that we can do. If they are lying and actually did cause visible damage then thats on them. No point second guess; we can only comment based on the information that we have been given.

Yeah, but you still think it's alright to tip into someone's car, hop out, have a look and say "ah we're hunky dory here, sure how could there be damage at that speed" dust off your poncho and be on your merry way.

Doesn't work like that. You still have to leave your details. If the other person tries to pull a fast one then that's why insurers have assessors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Of course they can

your own insurance company will be seeking to pay out the smallest claim possible. Insurance assessor will inspect their car and decide what is fair and reasonable.

The problem you will have if you dont use insurance is agreeing independent garage.

Obviously if other person deals with the garage only they will get the side scratch included.

You be best informing your insurance company explain what happened.
    If the cost was small you might be able to pay insurance company the cost to keep NCB intact.

FYI Bumber respray is about 250 euro
    but most if not all bumpers will bend and spring back without damage from low speed bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

would I leave a note? I genuinely wouldnt.

If I thought it was possible I have caused damage but unsure. I probably would then leave a note. probably
    What a despicable attitude to have for other people's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

What a despicable attitude to have for other people's property.

life is tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

They're called bumpers for a reason. If everyone was going to stop and exchange insurance details for every single little tip that occurred in a car park, there'd be hundreds of people standing around car parks the length of the country taking photos, looking for witnesses, getting CCTV footage etc. Life's too short. If there's no damage, what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

wowy wrote: »
    They're called bumpers for a reason. If everyone was going to stop and exchange insurance details for every single little tip that occurred in a car park, there'd be hundreds of people standing around car parks the length of the country taking photos, looking for witnesses, getting CCTV footage etc. Life's too short. If there's no damage, what's the problem?

Right here is the f**king reason I've had to replace two light clusters and a €800 repair on scraps and bumper damage sure they are bumpers that's what they are there for!! P1ss off they ain't you can't see what other damage you've done underneath.
    Or you miss the lights you have broken how about don't "tip" your car off other peoples cars to get out of a space. If you can't, you shouldn't have a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The hypocrisy in this thread is astounding !! There are videos posted here of dash cams capturing hit and runs with people indignantly stating how scummy it is and how if they caught them they would do all sorts to them.

The OP hit someone else's car and drove off - end of. If it was my car I'd take him to the cleaners to teach him a lesson. A video posted in the last few days in "Dashcam saved your ass" showed a driver tipping another parked car which got lots of replies congratulating the poster for following up and notifying the victim.

Make your mind up lads !!

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

ZENER wrote: »
    The hypocrisy in this thread is astounding !! There are videos posted here of dash cams capturing hit and runs with people indignantly stating how scummy it is and how if they caught them they would do all sorts to them.

The OP hit someone else's car and drove off - end of. If it was my car I'd take him to the cleaners to teach him a lesson. A video posted in the last few days in "Dashcam saved your ass" showed a driver tipping another parked car which got lots of replies congratulating the poster for following up and notifying the victim.

Make your mind up lads !!

Ken

Even if there was no damage, you would still take him to the cleaners?
    If the answer is yes, who is the scumbag?

Even if there was no damage, you would still take him to the cleaners?
    If the answer is yes, who is the scumbag?

How do you know there was no damage ? The OP is hardly likely to incriminate himself in public now is he ?! He drove away from a crash and didn't have the decency to leave a message on the victims car !?

I'd make him suffer as much as I could. I'd report the incident to his insurance company if I had his details and make sure he suffered the maximum hassle. I had 500 quid worth of damage caused by a drive off scummy BMW owner in my GFs apartment carpark. F**ker didn't have the balls to answer his door to face me. Deserve everything they get imo.

Ken

How do you know there was no damage ? The OP is hardly likely to incriminate himself in public now is he ?! He drove away from a crash and didn't have the decency to leave a message on the victims car !?

I'd make him suffer as much as I could. I'd report the incident to his insurance company if I had his details and make sure he suffered the maximum hassle. I had 500 quid worth of damage caused by a drive off scummy BMW owner in my GFs apartment carpark. F**ker didn't have the balls to answer his door to face me. Deserve everything they get imo.

Ken

Firstly I know we are only taking his word for it that their was no damage, if this is so then no further action is needed.

Secondly you are allowing what happened to you to be judge and jury.

What happened to you was disgusting and unacceptable, however I dont think the OP would be on here looking for advice if he had caused any damage.

Firstly I know we are only taking his word for it that their was no damage, if this is so then no further action is needed.

Secondly you are allowing what happened to you to be judge and jury.

What happened to you was disgusting and unacceptable, however I dont think the OP would be on here looking for advice if he had caused any damage.

I imagine that the person he collided with won't feel quite as charitable as you. Regardless of whether there was damage or not it is still an offence to drive away is it not ? If the car was your pride and joy would you be so willing to forgive ? I doubt you would. If someone came to you afterwards and told you someone hit your car and drove away, would you really be that lenient ?

Unless you have been a victim then you really cannot understand. But to come on here and complain he is being treated badly over it ?! Seriously ?

Ken

I imagine that the person he collided with won't feel quite as charitable as you. Regardless of whether there was damage or not it is still an offence to drive away is it not ? If the car was your pride and joy would you be so willing to forgive ? I doubt you would. If someone came to you afterwards and told you someone hit your car and drove away, would you really be that lenient ?

Unless you have been a victim then you really cannot understand. But to come on here and complain he is being treated badly over it ?! Seriously ?

Ken

Well tbh if there was no damage done then no problem, however if there was damage done I would be annoyed yes.

I think most people have been victims in supermarket car parks, many is the time I have returned to the car and the door has been marked by a careless person opening the door too far.

I'm not complaining but I feel if there is no damage done and the person who was tipped feels they still have to punish the offender for not owning up, this is just plain nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well tbh if there was no damage done then no problem, however if there was damage done I would be annoyed yes.

I think most people have been victims in supermarket car parks, many is the time I have returned to the car and the door has been marked by a careless person opening the door too far.

I'm not complaining but I feel if there is no damage done and the person who was tipped feels they still have to punish the offender for not owning up, this is just plain nasty.

It's not really up to the person who tipped the other car to make the call on if there's damage or not. Particularly considering that person just hit another car. Its up to the owner of the car which has been hit to decide.

It's not really up to the person who tipped the other car to make the call on if there's damage or not. Particularly considering that person just hit another car. Its up to the owner of the car which has been hit to decide.

That is a fair enough, but my point is if I was tipped and an independent witness said he took details of the offender, I would check my car and if there was no damage, then no further action is needed.

I never said I'd make a false claim. I'd just put him through the mill so he'd think twice if there was a next time.

Ken

• Advertisement

I never said I'd make a false claim. I'd just put him through the mill so he'd think twice if there was a next time.

Ken

That is fair enough, I edited it already.
    Where does it stop, as already said if one hits another car when opening the door in a car park should you leave a note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

That is fair enough, I edited it already.
    Where does it stop, as already said if one hits another car when opening the door in a car park should you leave a note.
    Yes you should. I have been sitting in my car when people have pulled up beside me in car parks and whacked my car out of it with their doors. Most don't even bat an eyelid while others mutter something and jog on. Being the cnut that I am, will kick my door into their car. In front of them.

And the gas thing is, the look around to see what the bang was, and keep walking.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yes you should. I have been sitting in my car when people have pulled up beside me in car parks and whacked my car out of it with their doors. Most don't even bat an eyelid while others mutter something and jog on. Being the cnut that I am, will kick my door into their car. In front of them.

And the gas thing is, the look around to see what the bang was, and keep walking.

If everyone was to do this the car parks would be full of notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Or... maybe people might start having some consideration for other peoples property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Or... maybe people might start having some consideration for other peoples property.

I think no damage done, why would you put someone through the mill. Get over it and move on. Damage done different story then.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not at all. That's like bating the dog an hour after it's sh1t on the kitchen floor. He won't know what he's getting the toe up the hole for.
    If someone hit my door and genuinely apologised and there was no damage, well I'd be the fairest man in the world and send them on their way, apology accepted. If they walk away, well their car is fair game. As I said, I have rammed my door into another car more than once in front of the driver. Not once have they done anything about it. I guess they don't give a fcuk about their own car either.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You have a point. I used to do it in my old, rough Avensis. I might use your method with my spanky new '05 Avensis!:pac:

• Advertisement

Advertisement