Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park incident

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

thats what bumpers are for

they need to do some on street parking in France or Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Cyrus wrote: »
    If it was my car you reversed into I'd be pissed to be honest you should have left a note whether it looked to you if there was damage or not

I once came back to my car to find a note left on the windscreen. When I read it what it said was " I accidentally bumped into your car when I reversing. The people watching me write this note think that I'm leaving you my details but you can **** off " .:mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I've had a similar situation happen to me, reversing my car out of a shopping centre car-park I 'tipped' a Seat Ibiza parked in the other row. The lightest of slight touches we're talking about. Stopped the car & got out to check for any marks or damage to either car. Their car was covered in dust & dirt, looked like it had never been washed & had dents & scratches in every panel. Checked to see if I had marked their car in any way but the touch was so slight I hadn't even left an impression in the dust on the car. I figured I was opening myself up for trouble but wrote a note saying something similar to the example posted above, got back in my car & went home. I never heard anymore about it.

I realise that there are many people who will act dishonestly when something like this happens & look at it as an opportunity to make money or inflate an insurance claim to repair old damage, but I was driving the car & I made the mistake. I'll always write the little windscreen note & what comes afterwards we'll deal with afterwards.
    If I bumped into you on the street, would you accuse me of assault?

No, but I'd expect to hear you say "Sorry" as you passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All I'd say is that if they were getting tetchy you should have called the guards as is the norm in a accident involving a vehicle.

I'd say you've left yourself open here as you accepted liability which an insurance company will typically ask.

I only say this as a sister in law had a minor tip into the back of a car at a roundabout. She was pregnant at the time and got flustered and accepted liability and exchanged details. The tip pccured at approx 5mph.

Earlier this year the other party received their final payout of a total accumulating to 67k in damages. Various spurious claims for damages of the child in the car having negative psychological effects, male driver suffering back spasms and female passenger having a sleeping disorder...all conventiatly after this 5mph incident where sister in law admitted liability and never contacted the guards for an unbiased third party.

I had someone reverse into me in Liffey valley two months ago. Was distracted by his son as I was stationary waiting for a break in traffic to turn and he smacked into the back left of me.

Got out...took a look and we exchanged details. He admitted liability and I disclosed that I wouldn't be pursuing this any further and it was fine.

Irregardless of you not leaving a note...if the other party was getting uppity you should have gone through the normal procedures and if they didn't want your details get confirmstion they are not pursuing the mattrer further.

You'd be surprised the amount of chancets in this country when it comes to accidents of little to zero note or impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I figured I was opening myself up for trouble but wrote a note saying something similar to the example posted above, got back in my car & went home. I never heard anymore about it.

I'm not surprised if you wrote a note saying something similar to the example posted above......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Hehe, I meant this lovely note! Just bad timing :P
    Sorry, i accidently reversed into your car. It was a very low speed impact and i cannot see any damage. However if it comes to your attention that some damage was caused please contact me at xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

On the flip side I came out to my car in the Odeon coolock to my left side wing mirror completely hanging off and the glass smashed. A scrape down the back left. Someone made an absolute mess of reversing.

No note or anything. Security guard in the carpark didn't give two ****s...CCTV just there for show...wasn't even working.

So I can appreciate the flipside of this. But then I had very real damage. The likely hood is if someone tapped into my bumper and went off without a note I wouldn't even know about it. Don't know about people here but I'm not in the business of inspecting my bumper under microscope every time I come out of the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Is that what soapboxing is, just repeating the same thing regardless of what everyone else says?

You've no choice about giving up your insurance details after you've hit someone's car. If you think they're gonna claim for a load of imaginary damage, tell your insurance company and they'll pass it onto their assessor.

Otherwise, just don't back into anyone else's car.

Section 106 Road Traffic Act
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0106.html

The legal duty to provide insurance details applies "Where injury is caused to person or property in a public place and a vehicle is involved in the occurrence of the injury" so it appears to be conditional on injury/damage being caused. You can hit a car without causing damage, my own car bumper has been nudged by other cars a few times without a scratch. No drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Long Gone wrote: »
    I once came back to my car to find a note left on the windscreen. When I read it what it said was " I accidentally bumped into your car when I reversing. The people watching me write this note think that I'm leaving you my details but you can **** off " .:mad:

Funny. I have heard that one a couple of times. However, i don't believe those stories. If someone was leaving a note to deceive people, they would just leave the wrong number. Anything else would be idiotic, because someone, or cctv might have the reg plate, which will tie back to the person who wrote the note.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Section 106 Road Traffic Act
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0106.html

The legal duty to provide insurance details applies "Where injury is caused to person or property in a public place and a vehicle is involved in the occurrence of the injury" so it appears to be conditional on injury/damage being caused. You can hit a car without causing damage, my own car bumper has been nudged by other cars a few times without a scratch. No drama.

Yeah but we can't get past the argument as to who's opinion of whether there's damage caused. My view is that if you tip off someone's car, you've gotta let them get it independently inspected, no matter whether you can see damage or not.

You hit someone's car, you're leaving yourself wide open to a claim, so it's easier to be more aware of your surroundings and use your mirrors. Invest in parking sensors or a reversing camera if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yeah but we can't get past the argument as to who's opinion of whether there's damage caused. My view is that if you tip off someone's car, you've gotta let them get it independently inspected, no matter whether you can see damage or not.

Such an overexaggeration. Independantly inspected to be told that the damage that is not visible really isnt there? Come on, seriously. We are not talking about an impact at speed here; if it was a proper collision then Id agree. For tipping into someone in a car park? Its massively over the top. Its not a matter of opinion; either its damaged or its not. If its not then get on with it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

djimi wrote: »
    Its not a matter of opinion; either its damaged or its not. If its not then get on with it and move on.

but you are assuming that any damage is visible on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Such an overexaggeration. Independantly inspected to be told that the damage that is not visible really isnt there? Come on, seriously. We are not talking about an impact at speed here; if it was a proper collision then Id agree. For tipping into someone in a car park? Its massively over the top. Its not a matter of opinion; either its damaged or its not. If its not then get on with it and move on.

If you'd a 50k car and someone backed into it would you still say that? If you want to go tipping into other vehicles go buy a dodgem from the carnival. You'd swear it was difficult to manoeuvre a car into a parking spot without bashing it, judging by some of the posts on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

but you are assuming that any damage is visible on the outside

How fast do you think the OP was going? How hard do you think the bumper was hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

How fast do you think the OP was going? How hard do you think the bumper was hit?

Funny you say that, my mothers new F10 had a car park "tip" from another driver, causing underside damage to the bumper, which from the exterior looked untouched.

Put it this way, if it was your car you wouldn't be very happy, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

If you'd a 50k car and someone backed into it would you still say that? If you want to go tipping into other vehicles go buy a dodgem from the carnival. You'd swear it was difficult to manoeuvre a car into a parking spot without bashing it, judging by some of the posts on here.

What if you park perfectly well in a spot and return to find someone has badly parked adjacent to or behind you (for example), in such a way that you can't possibly get out without tipping them? You're suggesting that every car is always perfectly parked, and that in all cases of car-park tips, it's the fault of the driver. I suggest you go have a walk around your nearest shopping centre and see how well some of those cars are parked....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i have no idea, what is your guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

At a junction a guy hit the corner of my bumper. It was a good bump, got out looked at the damage, only slight mark on bumper that would polish out. Told him it was fine and be on your way. I knew by looking at it that it was damn all and the bumper has not falling off yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

wowy wrote: »
    What if you park perfectly well in a spot and return to find someone has badly parked adjacent to or behind you (for example), in such a way that you can't possibly get out without tipping them? You're suggesting that every car is always perfectly parked, and that in all cases of car-park tips, it's the fault of the driver. I suggest you go have a walk around your nearest shopping centre and see how well some of those cars are parked....
    Oh well, sure just give it a wee nudge then if it's in the way. :rolleyes:

You would go back in and ask at the courtesy desk for an announcement to be made for the owner to move it.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Oh well, sure just give it a wee nudge then if it's in the way. :rolleyes:

You would go back in and ask at the courtesy desk for an announcement to be made for the owner to move it.

Ah sure, yeah, no problem with that in Dublin Airport.

Also, part of my point (that you missed) was that Duracell Bunny said "You'd swear it was difficult to manoeuvre a car into a parking spot without bashing it, judging by some of the posts on here." My point was if a driver parked perfectly well but other drivers parked badly around them, why should the person who parked properly be scape-goated? Duracell Bunny says it's easy to park without hitting someone; therefore if someone parks badly (and ends up being tipped by someone else as a result) are they in the wrong in his/her eyes? Or is always the fault of the moving vehicle?

• Advertisement

Ah sure, yeah, no problem with that in Dublin Airport.
    You did mention shopping centres.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You did mention shopping centres.

Cos you can't possibly extend my example to other car parks, right?

Fine, how about Dundrum TC car park, and the person has, I dunno, gone to the cinema and doesn't hear the centre announcement. What then? Does the driver sit for hours? Or have you any other specific criteria/requirements that a driver should do. Perhaps they should simply abandon their car so as to prevent tipping another car, cos heaven forbid....

Cos you can't possibly extend my example to other car parks, right?

Fine, how about Dundrum TC car park, and the person has, I dunno, gone to the cinema and doesn't hear the centre announcement. What then? Does the driver sit for hours? Or have you any other specific criteria/requirements that a driver should do. Perhaps they should simply abandon their car so as to prevent tipping another car, cos heaven forbid....
    Well what are you suggesting? To ram it out of the way? Or give it a nudge, not enough to damage it but enough to move 1.5 tonnes of metal out of your way?:rolleyes:

If your car is being obstructed by another vehicle you can ring the police who will tow it. Or you could contact AIRPORT:rolleyes: security who will have it moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Your posts are off the wall.

You're talking about a "crash" like it's an M50 pile up.

You're also advocating insurance fraud - The real villains are the likes of yourself - Exaggerating claims and costing everyone else money. As for tales of kicking people's cars etc - More psychotic nonsense.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive (and sane) responses.

Seriously ?! Where did I mention defrauding the insurance company ? Kicking someones car ?! What thread are you reading exactly ?

Just to set the record straight, I have never made a false claim on an insurance policy. In fact in my 26 years of driving I have never made any kind of claim on any insurance policy.

If you have evidence to the contrary then please by all means present it or retract the statement.

I presume by "sane" responses you are talking about the back slappers and the 'sure it'll be grand' brigade ?! Karma bites.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

TheDoc wrote: »
    All I'd say is that if they were getting tetchy you should have called the guards as is the norm in a accident involving a vehicle.

Only the norm in the event of an injury or where traffic management is required.

Advertisement