Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park incident

Options
  • 13-07-2014 7:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Some advice please folks...

I was reversing in a car park today and tipped into another car. It was straight on - bumper to bumper. Not particularly hard. I checked both cars and there were no marks so I thought nothing further of it (other than to be more careful).

Anyway, 2 minutes later I was near some shops when a woman started attacking me about smashing into her car and not leaving a note. I explained what had happened and that there was no damage. I offered my number and she declined and called me scum.

I decided to go back to the car and she was there with her husband and a "witness" - Some guy in a car beside her. They were all ranting and raving about cctv and not leaving a note. I pointed out that the cars had essentially tipped bumper to bumper and that there was no damage to either car.

She pointed to a scratch to the side which clearly was an old one. I again offered my details and number and they declined. The "witness" kept chiming in so I told him to butt out.

What worries me though is that the husband said "we have what we need".

I did apologise and she accepted it.

What should I be expecting and what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Is there any way that it could look like you caused the scratch to the side? Did you take plenty of pictures? The witness could make things awkward if they are making up stories to back up the other party, but if you have photographic evidence and it doesnt back up the claim about the scratch then I wouldnt worry too much about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

djimi wrote: »
    Is there any way that it could look like you caused the scratch to the side? Did you take plenty of pictures? The witness could make things awkward if they are making up stories to back up the other party, but if you have photographic evidence and it doesnt back up the claim about the scratch then I wouldnt worry too much about it.

There's no way that it could have caused the scratch. It was a gentle bumper to bumper tip with the cars perfectly aligned.

Do you think the fact that they declined my contact details is helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

There's no way that it could have caused the scratch. It was a gentle bumper to bumper tip with the cars perfectly aligned.

Do you think the fact that they declined my contact details is helpful?

Not really, is there a chance that they could have taken your insurance policy details from the windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

try to obtain a copy of the CCTV as its the only thing that shows what happened.

Not really, is there a chance that they could have taken your insurance policy details from the windscreen?

Absolutely.

But there is definitely no damage to their car.

Even if I "lost" wherever this goes, I'd pay rather than go the insurance route.

• Advertisement

try to obtain a copy of the CCTV as its the only thing that shows what happened.

It'll show me tipping into their car but what caused a scratch won't be clear.

If they do try some kind of nefarious claim, can I cut the insurance company out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Howdy,

was there a barrier / ticket system in this car park ?

example. did you need to take a ticket entering the car park ?

If they do try some kind of nefarious claim, can I cut the insurance company out of it?

No. But you can repay them any payout which they may make and your no claims bonus will be intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

A friend of mine experienced something like this recently. Complete chancers.

In his case he said he had taken camera shots to prove no other damage to the car and once he mentioned calling the cops they said to leave it.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt in this case. Tell your insurer your full side of the story and let them deal with it. Let them know that you caused no damage and that they are making up stories, including them having a witness who seems happy to corroborate their dodgy story.

Id be contacting your insurer before they do also; it will look worse on you if they hear from the other party before they hear from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Don't do that, it could end bad for you if you don't notify your insurers. It will also look like an admission of guilt if tell the other party you want to deal with it privately. Motor assessors are good at working out angles of impact, height of contact, direction of scratch etc. Leave them to it, if the other party is determined to get you and have a 'witness', you might just have to suck it up. Insurers can always be repaid to reinstate your NCB

It'll show me tipping into their car but what caused a scratch won't be clear.

If the scratch is on the side, and if it was a straight bumper to bumper then why would CCTV not show that you did not cause the damage?

If the scratch is on the side, and if it was a straight bumper to bumper then why would CCTV not show that you did not cause the damage?

Sorry, I mean it was on the right hand side of the bumper if you were standing behind the car looking at the boot. I don't see how a scratch can arise when two flat surfaces touch "head on" (i.e. no glancing blow). It wasn't a fresh scratch either.

The "witness" was the problem here. He was sitting in the car beside their car (but facing the other way). He was giving it loads about me "smashing into their car" and an "almighty bang". Presumably when they came back, he told them "that fella over there crashed into your car".

Sorry, I mean it was on the right hand side of the bumper if you were standing behind the car looking at the boot. I don't see how a scratch can arise when two flat surfaces touch "head on" (i.e. no glancing blow). It wasn't a fresh scratch either.

The "witness" was the problem here. He was sitting in the car beside their car (but facing the other way). He was giving it loads about me "smashing into their car" and an "almighty bang". Presumably when they came back, he told them "that fella over there crashed into your car".

which car park was it in ?

which car park was it in ?

Carrickmines - The Park

Carrickmines - The Park

Grand stuff...

i know that car park to be a private car park.... with private clamping etc.

i.e its private property.

would i be right in saying your insurance company doesn't have to do anything because its private property ? ;)

Grand stuff...

would i be right in saying your insurance company doesn't have to do anything because its private property ? ;)

I don't know - I'm clueless about this kind of thing.

You reckon it's okay?

I don't know - I'm clueless about this kind of thing.

You reckon it's okay?

If i was you, i'd tell my insurance company that it was on private property and instruct them to take no action

it should be grand i think.

Grand stuff...

Its not private property; its a public place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If it was my car you reversed into I'd be pissed to be honest you should have left a note whether it looked to you if there was damage or not

Cyrus wrote: »
    If it was my car you reversed into I'd be pissed to be honest you should have left a note whether it looked to you if there was damage or not

To say what exactly? Sorry I bumped into your car; theres no damage but if you fancy an aul chat anyway heres my number?

Its not private property; its a public place.

its questionable to be honest.... i used to work in an office down there at night and at night its all gated and security with clamping.... and you can only clamp on private property ?

im not sure but id say it anyway about it to the insurance company just to see

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Grand stuff...

If it's not gated (ie. there's free access to vehicles) it's as djimi has said, it's a public place as defined in the RTA.

Cyrus wrote: »

There was no damage to either car...for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

My mothers car was damaged in an Aldi car park last year.The other driver moved to the other side of the carpark and then went shopping as if nothing happened. Luckily a witness noted the other cars details and kindly waited for my mum to return to pass them on. My dad went to the Gardai and the guard dealing with it visited the owners home. We don't know what was said but the guard rang my dad and told him to call to a specific address the next evening to get the cost of repair (about 400 euro). My dad went to the guys house and he paid up no problem and said he didn't realise he hit the car and apologised. I don't know what the legal position was but the guard did a good job in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Grand stuff...

Is this 'advice' or are you having a laugh at the OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

To say what exactly? Sorry I bumped into your car; theres no damage but if you fancy an aul chat anyway heres my number?

Don't you think the witness was right to inform on his fellow citizen????

Clever, aren't you?

Maybe "I'm not qualified to inspect and diagnose any damage I may have done to your car just by standing and looking at it whilst scratching my nuts, so if you'd like to take it to a mechanic or panel beater and have it inspected, please do and then maybe give me a call on this number to arrange repairs."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The Op is not in a position to say that there was no damage to the other car. Even a structural engineer would not be so quick to come to that conclusion.

Advertisement